ADVERTISEMENT

RJ, Zion, or Romeo

IUforver

Recruit
Mar 25, 2017
If you were a GM and had the first pick in the draft. Which one would you take? I myself would be happy with any of them but I guess I take RJ or Romeo. Zion’s weight would scare me off but man is he a beast.

Is it crazy to say that it might be too early to tell?
Of course it’s too early to tell but I’m bored and I was just thinking who I would pick if I had to choose. Does anyone think they’ll go undefeated? The only reason I don’t is I don’t figure they’re deep enough. RJ and Zion will miss some games this year even if it’s just here and there with mild injuries. Plus it’s just really hard to do. IU may even beat them. I wouldn’t bet on it though.

Zion, no question. Romeo is great and definitely a top 5 pick but Zion is an incredibly unique athlete for his size. If he can continue developing his jumper he will be unstoppable.

Reactions: IUforver
Zion, no question. Romeo is great and definitely a top 5 pick but Zion is an incredibly unique athlete for his size. If he can continue developing his jumper he will be unstoppable.
I’m with you. I think it’s going to be a hard decision for the GM that has to make that decision. His weight will worry people, I’m sure. You just don’t see guys built like him and have his athleticism. That combination will scare people, it would scare me. Keeping his weight down and avoiding injuries may be issues for him in the future.

Reactions: ufo33
I think Romeo is going to be an amazing pro though too. I bet he doesn’t go top 5 though but some of the teams that pass on him will regret it. His shooting will only improve and he makes getting to the basket look effortless. For a freshman I’ve never seen anyone his age do it as well as he does. He’ll be about unstoppable on the NBA when he’s told to go score 30+ every night. He won’t do it until he’s 23 or so but he’s going to be a stud.

Reactions: ufo33
Romeo
NBA is a different game, of grown men, physically, and mentally.
Barrett has great body strength and body control and jumps into his defensive man and draws contact and finishes through that contact, that's his main offensive weapon that I've seen. In the NBA the contact will be greater and he won't be able to finish them all. Zion is a physical beast in college at 6'6" -6'7", 285 lbs.
Zion's size advantage will not be as great in the NBA and he is not as tall or as long as most NBA Power Forwards, also his shot is improving, but erratic. He wont be able to just turn and dunk over every Center and PF in the NBA.
Romeo has an offensive game that translates very well at every level, and defensively Romeo is looking to turn it up several notches now under Archie at IU. Romeo's ability to read passing lanes, and his long reach and anticipation makes him a potential elite team defensive player also. Romeo is the best passer and playmaker of the 3.
From what I have seen in HS, the top 2 NBA talents in college are RJ Barrett and Romeo. Romeo's total package game translates the best to the NBA in my opinion with the highest overall ceiling.

Last edited:
Romeo
NBA is a different game, of grown men, physically, and mentally.
Barrett has great body strength and body control and jumps into his defensive man and draws contact and finishes through that contact, that's his main offensive weapon that I've seen. In the NBA the contact will be greater and he won't be able to finish them all. Zion is a physical beast in college at 6'6" -6'7", 285 lbs.
Zion's size advantage will not be as great in the NBA and he is not as tall or as long as most NBA Power Forwards, also his shot is improving, but erratic. He wont be able to just turn and dunk over every Center and PF in the NBA.
Romeo has an offensive game that translates very well at every level, and defensively Romeo is looking to turn it up several notches now under Archie at IU. Romeo's ability to read passing lanes, and his long reach and anticipation makes him a potential elite team defensive player also. Romeo is the best passer and playmaker of the 3.
From what I have seen in HS, the top 2 NBA talents in college are RJ Barrett and Romeo. Romeo's total package game translates the best to the NBA in my opinion with the highest overall ceiling.
Yeah, I’ve thought about that too. Romeo may end up not just a hall of famer but one of the best ever.

If you were a GM and had the first pick in the draft. Which one would you take? I myself would be happy with any of them but I guess I take RJ or Romeo. Zion’s weight would scare me off but man is he a beast.
Zion Williamson is one of the most extraordinary athletes I've ever seen, or heard of. Defy's physics to be that size & move that way, & jump that high, & that quickly/explosively. & just like Mac McClung, his dunks & athleticism overshadow his outstanding basketball skillset. He's an excellent shooter, he uses both hands well, passes well, handles well enough. Amazing. I wonder what his 40 time is, I bet he's a 4.5. Just friggin' imagine him on a football field: TE, DE, hell he could play DT if he wanted. He'll naturally surpass 300 bills in a few years, & he'll still have 40+" of vertical. Think about that for a minute. So to answer your ?, obviously I think anyone would be a lunatic not to take Zion. He's simply a different beast altogether than the others, who are great players, but not even in the same picture as Zion. Romeo is a relatively distant 3rd, btw.

MaryAnn, Ginger, or Mrs.Howell aka Lovey?

Zion Williamson is one of the most extraordinary athletes I've ever seen, or heard of. Defy's physics to be that size & move that way, & jump that high, & that quickly/explosively. & just like Mac McClung, his dunks & athleticism overshadow his outstanding basketball skillset. He's an excellent shooter, he uses both hands well, passes well, handles well enough. Amazing. I wonder what his 40 time is, I bet he's a 4.5. Just friggin' imagine him on a football field: TE, DE, hell he could play DT if he wanted. He'll naturally surpass 300 bills in a few years, & he'll still have 40+" of vertical. Think about that for a minute. So to answer your ?, obviously I think anyone would be a lunatic not to take Zion. He's simply a different beast altogether than the others, who are great players, but not even in the same picture as Zion. Romeo is a relatively distant 3rd, btw.
You better grab the Kleenex after all that praise.

You better grab the Kleenex after all that praise.

His point is right though.

It's Zion, Barrett...............Romeo.

I understand rooting for the home team but if you were the GM of the pacers and took Romeo over those two then you would have definitely taken Alford over Reggie Miller.

And the Reggie/Alford decision is much tougher than the one proposed.

With Zion the worst you are getting is a stronger and bigger Julius Randle. His mid is Larry Johnson. His low ceiling is Barkley. His high ceiling is unknown.

Zion is the kid that scares me the most in regards to 'will this Duke team go undefeated'. Barrett can be defended. Reddish can be defended. Zion is in his own world, especially if he shoots like he's been showing on the perimeter.

FYI... he's shooting better than Romeo.

Barrett has a lot of James Harden in his game. It would not surprise me in the least if he was a multiple NBA scoring champion. His floor is lower though, Rodney Hood low but he's scored every where he's been and is what 6'7ish or more with a guards handle (I don't see much vision but he can handle the ball in traffic).

Romeo will be a pro for sure, and a lottery pick, but Williamson has the higher ceiling and higher floor.

His point is right though.

It's Zion, Barrett...............Romeo.

I understand rooting for the home team but if you were the GM of the pacers and took Romeo over those two then you would have definitely taken Alford over Reggie Miller.

And the Reggie/Alford decision is much tougher than the one proposed.

With Zion the worst you are getting is a stronger and bigger Julius Randle. His mid is Larry Johnson. His low ceiling is Barkley. His high ceiling is unknown.

Zion is the kid that scares me the most in regards to 'will this Duke team go undefeated'. Barrett can be defended. Reddish can be defended. Zion is in his own world, especially if he shoots like he's been showing on the perimeter.

FYI... he's shooting better than Romeo.

Barrett has a lot of James Harden in his game. It would not surprise me in the least if he was a multiple NBA scoring champion. His floor is lower though, Rodney Hood low but he's scored every where he's been and is what 6'7ish or more with a guards handle (I don't see much vision but he can handle the ball in traffic).

Romeo will be a pro for sure, and a lottery pick, but Williamson has the higher ceiling and higher floor.

That’s a lot of ceilings and floors, you building an apartment?

That’s a lot of ceilings and floors, you building an apartment?

I am...and your kind isn't welcome.

Lol

But if my floors and ceilings were close to being right....would you draft Malik Monk over a bigger Julius Randle?

A DeRozan over Barkley/Lebron?

I'd hope not.

One of the best stories in college last night if not the best story was the return of Andrew Jones to the Longhorns. Apparently he doesn't even remember a 2 month period of his treatment for cancer because he so sedated during that time. He lost 20 pounds of muscle during his treatment. IMO, he was one of the most athletic players in college and headed for a late 1st round pick last year. Hopefully he can get back to being that player by his senior year season next year.

Reactions: MG80
I think you are jumping the gun here on Romeo. Yes, one game is not necessarily an indicator of anything but weren't you concerned about the lack of threes and his horrendous free throw shooting in his one and only game? Great shooters rarely are that bad at the line. Let's just hopefully enjoy watching him get better. If not, well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT