ADVERTISEMENT

To all those bashing Scott or melting down in general

I think Pat's hiring at TT was merely a personal "thank you" by the university president to Bob for his willingness to come to God's-forsaken tumbleweed connection in Lubbock, TX. It wouldn't have played out that way in Bloomington, IN.
Knight quit in the middle of the season to insure Pat got the job…it would have played out exactly the same in Bloomington. Here is the evidence…

“He just said it was time,” Myers said in a telephone interview. “He wanted to give Pat his chance. He’s given it his all. He said he didn’t have interest in coaching anymore.”

Knight quit in the middle of the season to insure Pat got the job…it would have played out exactly the same in Bloomington. Here is the evidence…

“He just said it was time,” Myers said in a telephone interview. “He wanted to give Pat his chance. He’s given it his all. He said he didn’t have interest in coaching anymore.”
Would have been same scenario but played out much worse in Bloomington than at Tech and RMK would still have ended up with an axe to grind with IU I am afraid

But, but, but how can we breath? The sports writers have labeled this loss as being CATASTROPHIC . . . It was a catastrophe . . . How can IU EVER recover? This is too monumental of a loss to over come. The USS Hoosier has the iceberg . . . Abandon ship . . . We are doomed if we stay on it.

LOL . . . it was a horrible loss but we all knew winning at Wisky would be very difficult.
Gee, I'm old enough the remember when losing at Wisky never happened. A moral "victory" last night? No wonder no one on the national stage takes IU seriously these days. Expectations are to be .500 - sad.

Reactions: IUgradman

Yep, and then IU would have been stuck with Pat Knight and would have had to fire him and that would have pissed off RMK etc etc. In other words, it would have been nearly the same as it was firing RMK.

Leadership. When programs do well, there is generally a good university president, a strong AD, and a good head coach. How many of those boxes has IU checked over the past two decades?

Have heard great things about Whitten.
Well, let me think a minute...we had Elvis Starr, Bill Orwig and Bob Knight together at the beginning of our glorious run. Good things sprang from that rare trifecta.

It could probably be said that great things are always heard about people in new positions of power, until proven otherwise through time. Right now, all I've been led to believe is that Whitten is great because she's of the female gender for the first time as president in school history. For some people, that is great enough.

Those words of Bob's may have given Pat the chance, but the final decision was based upon a vote of board members. I don't think it was stipulated as such when Bob first signed his TT contract. Every assistant coach is given a chance when the head coach quits, family related or otherwise. It would not have played out that way in Bloomington. We all knew Pat like the folks in Lubbock didn't. Pat was just someone else's drinking buddy.

• Haha
Reactions: jet812
Plus Keady wasn't Knight. Keady was fine with the passing of the baton. It was within the family. Keady cared about PU's future wo him.

We had the opposite happen and a good chunk of the fanbase hoping we'd lose once RMK was fired.

I don't know who did the cursing, but it sure feels like we're cursed!
There's a lot of truth here. RMK is long gone but his BS cost the program after he left.

What you have overlooked or forgotten is that "fred's right hand man"... before the ink was dry on his contract... went out and found the money and had the stones to fire AM in the middle of the pandemic year when nobody...and I mean nobody thought it would happen until at least after this year.

He then backed the Brinks truck up to Brad Stevens' doorstep but he wanted to stay in the NBA.

He then found the connection we have all wanted to make to our past success and wrapped him in an innovative package of former winning head coach and successful assistant coach also connected to our success.

A year ago; everyone that matters believed we would right now be awash in another AM team with no TJD, no shooters and no quality incoming recruits. Instead we have TJD, shooters and great recruits coming in.

Last night sucked and guess what...there will be another just like it along the way, but we are in far better condition than any of us had hoped to be a year ago.

Breathe
Concerning the first paragraph..........a thought of people 'thought it would happen'. Your memory fails you.

Woodson should be no more than a band aid .
Three yrs max...He's already pushing 64....
And I'm almost as old and feel that way..
I'm almost as old too and well great. He's got at least 10 years before someone else steps in. I feel dumber just reading your comment.

What you have overlooked or forgotten is that "fred's right hand man"... before the ink was dry on his contract... went out and found the money and had the stones to fire AM in the middle of the pandemic year when nobody...and I mean nobody thought it would happen until at least after this year.

He then backed the Brinks truck up to Brad Stevens' doorstep but he wanted to stay in the NBA.

He then found the connection we have all wanted to make to our past success and wrapped him in an innovative package of former winning head coach and successful assistant coach also connected to our success.

A year ago; everyone that matters believed we would right now be awash in another AM team with no TJD, no shooters and no quality incoming recruits. Instead we have TJD, shooters and great recruits coming in.

Last night sucked and guess what...there will be another just like it along the way, but we are in far better condition than any of us had hoped to be a year ago.

Breathe
All true, I'm really glad Arch is gone. They weren't going to win that way and it's freaking boring, who wants to watch it or let alone play that way

Knight would have cared, too, but he wasn't given the chance. I think it idiotic, those saying Knight would have demanded his son, Patrick, take over the helm after his retirement. Instead, our HOF disciplinarian was deemed "classic bully" and we got Mike Davis, who had never been a head coach in his life, quoting at his first press interview that he never understood the motion offense. I remember thinking to myself how odd that was...Knight drew out his teachings in diagram form on a chalk board each Sunday morning during his TV show. Was Davis not paying attention? I could conjecture that Davis was just plain stupid, but that might be misconstrued as a racist comment so I'll just keep it to myself without further comment.
weird ending

Spot on.

Was last night disappointing? Without question.

But as pissed as I am this morning, this isn't as bad as Indiana St 90-69 or IPFW 92-72 - both at home.

These guys - ESPECIALLY Johnson - need to put an entire game together. Have to have more poise down the stretch, hit FT's, be smart with the ball - all things missing last night in the last 5 minutes.

This team is not far away from being undefeated. But they still have a ways to go.
As I see it the problems with this team, and there are some, are fixable. Johnson needs to get the ball to the right people instead of throwing up slop shots is just one example.

As I see it the problems with this team, and there are some, are fixable. Johnson needs to get the ball to the right people instead of throwing up slop shots is just one example.
He gets a little carried away with his one handed scoop shot in heavy traffic. When it works its a thing of beauty, a joy to behold forever. When it doesn't, it isn't.

The trouble with patience here is that Woodson's "spring chicken" days are now "autumn chickens". By the time he finally gets it, if he ever does, we'll be needing to continue our seemingly endless cycle of coaching changes, based upon his age alone. In depressing comparison, Matt Painter became Purdue's head coach at age 35 which makes him only 51 now. He might be another Jim Boeheim in the making. Mike Woodson became a first time head college coach at age 63.
That's why Fife is assistant coach.

Reactions: mohoosier
Leadership. When programs do well, there is generally a good university president, a strong AD, and a good head coach. How many of those boxes has IU checked over the past two decades?

Have heard great things about Whitten.
With Woody’s hire: all three

.Crazy to think how much better Williams at Purdue is at that then TJD..Actually Painters whole offense is still miles ahead of Indiana's..
I saw Williams' drive to the hoop and sweet bank off the glass against the Scarlet Knight's. That was a most manly move of major muscle with 4 secs left that should have won the game. Against Wisconsin. TJD seemed like when he caught the ball 6-8 ft from the basket, he had to dribble a few times or just hold the ball to allow time for him to think what his next move was going to be. Just grab the rock and go with it like your arch-nemesis did, Trace. Use your God-given instincts! It will be interesting to see which one goes higher in the draft at the end of this season.

Reactions: DANC
Changing the culture takes time. I've got faith in Woodson/Dolson, but they're not miracle workers.
Culture change happened over(K)night, going from Knight to Davis. Sampson sealed the deal with his cell phone. Crean gave us a short-lived glimmer of hope with a lucky recruiting class. Archie punctuated our demise, being in over his ass. To date with Woodson, being better is not being back.

Less we not forget that 3 of the starters are transfers and when you get transfers, they are not the other teams best players. They are usually role or marginal players at best with limitations (turnovers, slow, can't defend) and these flaws come out in stressful situations. Turnovers, can't generate buckets when we need them. Bardo made a great comment last night that when Stewart catches and shoots, he usually makes them. When he has to put the ball on the floor and then shoots, he's off. I think the first post in this thread is spot on and a GREAT reminder of where we came from last year

stewart, x, and Miller were all the best players on their respective teams. X and Parker there is 0 argument. Dumb as hell post.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Knight would have cared, too, but he wasn't given the chance. I think it idiotic, those saying Knight would have demanded his son, Patrick, take over the helm after his retirement. Instead, our HOF disciplinarian was deemed "classic bully" and we got Mike Davis, who had never been a head coach in his life, quoting at his first press interview that he never understood the motion offense. I remember thinking to myself how odd that was...Knight drew out his teachings in diagram form on a chalk board each Sunday morning during his TV show. Was Davis not paying attention? I could conjecture that Davis was just plain stupid, but that might be misconstrued as a racist comment so I'll just keep it to myself without further comment.

Knight would've cared had IU done 100% of what he wanted and showed absolute loyalty to him.

A big personality flaw that Mean Gene didn't have.

JMHO

Reactions: jet812
stewart, x, and Miller were all the best players on their respective teams. X and Parker there is 0 argument. Dumb as hell post.
According to their stats, x was 3rd in pts, 4th in rebs, 1st in asst; Kopp was 2nd in pts, 5th in rbs and played the most min. Parker was 2nd in pts,4th in rebs 2 yrs ago at UT Martin....xj was labeled very good ball hanlder but was t/o prone, I believe that he still is......I know these are your boys but you very rarely see the best players transfer uses a coaching change
dumb as hell post

According to their stats, x was 3rd in pts, 4th in rebs, 1st in asst; Kopp was 2nd in pts, 5th in rbs and played the most min. Parker was 2nd in pts,4th in rebs 2 yrs ago at UT Martin....xj was labeled very good ball hanlder but was t/o prone, I believe that he still is......I know these are your boys but you very rarely see the best players transfer uses a coaching change
dumb as hell post

The best player on a team is 99% of the time listed at the top of Kenpom. Like TJD was for us last year. Xavier and Parker were that for their team. To argue that would be very stupid. But you do you.

I saw Williams' drive to the hoop and sweet bank off the glass against the Scarlet Knight's. That was a most manly move of major muscle with 4 secs left that should have won the game. Against Wisconsin. TJD seemed like when he caught the ball 6-8 ft from the basket, he had to dribble a few times or just hold the ball to allow time for him to think what his next move was going to be. Just grab the rock and go with it like your arch-nemesis did, Trace. Use your God-given instincts! It will be interesting to see which one goes higher in the draft at the end of this season.
I did think he was hesitant several times and wondered the same why.

Knight would've cared had IU done 100% of what he wanted and showed absolute loyalty to him.
That they did for his first 25 years or so, then they changed while Knight continued to coach in accord with the promptings of his true self. If only we could all be so disciplined in our personal beliefs.

I did think he was hesitant several times and wondered the same why.
His movement via reactive instincts was, indeed, quite a contrast from the Marshall game. He's not as dominant against better defenders as he needs to be for the pro game. Maybe he'll give us one last season. ;)

A big personality flaw that Mean Gene didn't have.
Ironically though, it may have been that personality flaw...his unwavering, over-the-top demand for excellence leading to the discipline needed to not get caught up in the magnitude of the moment at NCAA tourney time that separated him from Mean Gene The record now stands forever...Bob Knight 3 - Gene Keady 0.

Last edited:
The trouble with patience here is that Woodson's "spring chicken" days are now "autumn chickens". By the time he finally gets it, if he ever does, we'll be needing to continue our seemingly endless cycle of coaching changes, based upon his age alone. In depressing comparison, Matt Painter became Purdue's head coach at age 35 which makes him only 51 now. He might be another Jim Boeheim in the making. Mike Woodson became a first time head college coach at age 63.
I don’t get the age talk when it comes to Coach Woodson...

Pitino 68
Izzo 66
Boeheim 77
Coach K 74
Woody 63

Many coaches retire in their late 60’’s to early 70’s. Not only does he have several years of viable energy to put into the Indiana program, but both Kenya Hunter and Dane Fife are sitting next to him.

Reactions: brianiu

Breathe
whatever, man. clearly IU basketball will never win another game this season.

His movement via reactive instincts was, indeed, quite a contrast from the Marshall game. He's not as dominant against better defenders as he needs to be for the pro game. Maybe he'll give us one last season. ;)
Wish he could but it would not be the smart move.

Pitino 68
Izzo 66
Boeheim 77
Coach K 74
Woody 63

Many coaches retire in their late 60’’s to early 70’s. Not only does he have several years of viable energy to put into the Indiana program, but both Kenya Hunter and Dane Fife are sitting next to him.
Correct

That they did for his first 25 years or so, then they changed while Knight continued to coach in accord with the promptings of his true self. If only we could all be so disciplined in our personal beliefs.

Wait, wait, wait....you're not actually saying that Coach Knight was disciplined are you?

The things he demanded out of others he did not demand of himself.

Coach Knight had an uncontrollable temper - the opposite of "disciplined".

And it cost him and all of us.

Sounds like you're trying to give him props for being a recalcitrant a-hole to me.

I know, I know...RMKs the greatest. I used to agree. 30 years ago.

Wait, wait, wait....you're not actually saying that Coach Knight was disciplined are you?

Sounds like you're trying to give him props for being a recalcitrant a-hole to me.

You seem to be claiming that better for IU if RMK had never coached the team. This may be the most non sensical claim I have ever read on the internet. This is right up there with the claim that shape shifter lizard people from the Pleiades cluster built the pyramids with anti grav tech are now actually running the government.

He did more for Indiana basketball (University and State) than any person in history other than James Naismith.

Last edited:

Pitino 68
Izzo 66
Boeheim 77
Coach K 74
Woody 63

I have no doubt Woody has several viable years, yet. The difference is, I think all the coaches listed above him started coaching at a much younger age. In other words, by the time they got to 63 they already were comfortable in their gig. Woodson, in contrast, is new to coaching college basketball. It's not the pros...no seemingly endless recruiting trips, only to have a snot-nosed kid decide to go to a college his girlfriend goes to or some other ridiculous reason like that. I hope Woodson finds success such that it makes his life more fulfilling well into his 90's. All those coaches you listed of longevity, they are some of the most successful in college basketball, finding that success at a younger age and continuing with it. How many less successful coaches are still at it in their gray hair stage of life? Let's hope he's successful and feeds off of the energy success stimulates.

Knight used the same disciplined coaching techniques in 1971 that he used in 2000. He had his own personal ass-hole side to him when he wanted to be, during that same extensive time period. He wasn't hired to act like a nut-shaven choir boy for the media.

You seem to be claiming that better for IU if RMK had never coached the team. This may be the most non sensical claim I have ever read on the internet. This is right up there with the claim that shape shifter lizard people from the Pleiades cluster built the pyramids with anti grav tech are now actually running the government.

He did more for Indiana basketball (University and State) than any person in history other than James Naismith.
Lib-tards have it out for anyone they think is hurting another one's feelings. They would rather eliminate bully's from the gene pool instead of seeing a player grow some "stones" and learn from the attention-grabbing experience of a Bob Knight berating to become a real man.

Lib-tards have it out for anyone they think is hurting another one's feelings. They would rather eliminate bully's from the gene pool instead of seeing a player grow some "stones" and learn from the attention-grabbing experience of a Bob Knight berating to become a real man.
Agreed. It takes talent and stones to build something great but neither to burn it to the ground.

Reactions: abraxis

I'd argue Slick did more for the state as a player, coach, and ambassador than RMK.

Reactions: steelyvan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT