ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Conference Schedule Finalized and Announced

Wow cupcake central well atleast will know how bad we are before big ten starts because if we struggle with this schedule we suck.

Reactions: edub72
South Carolina (because they are game cocks) will give us a good game. And maybe Greensboro and Winthrop, but they are a stretch to do it.
To build our brand we better do well in the Bahamas.
Big Logan Duncomb will make his return to Assembly Hall.

If you want excitement, pull a fire alarm. Or, try to get a ticket to a Purdue game.
You could go to Texas A&M vs Purdue in Indy. Should be a good one.

Reactions: 3ZSDAD
Ant Wright provided a good analysis...

https://hoosierillustrated.com/indiana-basketball-takes-strategic-approach-to-2024-25-schedule/

TL/DR: The IU staff continues to demonstrate that they learned from last year's mistakes, both in roster construction and scheduling.
Reading that article says a lot about the state of IU Basketball, listing as beating Purdue as one of your top goals,
REALLY? Talk about lil bro mentality! So they take the schedule and toss out teams like UCONN, Auburn and Kansas because of butt waxing, but that isn't why IU's net was 98, its because all the weak teams played at home gave IU all they wanted. So the proud Blue Blood now runs away from the good teams, ran away from Indy and wants to have a schedule to manipulate the NET. How can you make fun of Purdue when last year alone they went 11-1 against the top 25, while IU went 0-6, I think Purdue has more top 25 wins last year than IU has had in their last 10 years! Purdue is scheduling top 10 battles in INDY and IU has vacated the building! The only positive I see in this schedule is that it will drive up subscriptions on the BIG TEN+, I mean who would want to pick up the telecasts of those home dog-meat games!

I hope we are playing well in late Nov b/c a lot hinges on our performance in the Bahamas. Can't lay a turd.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Reading that article says a lot about the state of IU Basketball, listing as beating Purdue as one of your top goals,
REALLY? Talk about lil bro mentality!

LOL, I bet you were chanting "IU Sucks" before/during the NC game in Mackey. Rent free, little brother. R E N T F R E E

Reactions: 76-1
Ant explains it..

If that’s the game, it’s ridiculous. What in the holy hell has happened to college basketball (and IU)? Millionaire players, unlimited open transfers, and now jury-rigging schedules to trick a computer. Good lord.

In looking at the current roster, I see no reason to think they won’t have a strong season. Plenty of talent with a lot of experience. Coaching is the only question mark. If Woody can’t get this bunch to pound this pre-con schedule (non-Atlantis division), he’ll be in trouble long before the season even heats up.

If that’s the game, it’s ridiculous. What in the holy hell has happened to college basketball (and IU)? Millionaire players, unlimited open transfers, and now jury-rigging schedules to trick a computer. Good lord.

In looking at the current roster, I see no reason to think they won’t have a strong season. Plenty of talent with a lot of experience. Coaching is the only question mark. If Woody can’t get this bunch to pound this pre-con schedule (non-Atlantis division), he’ll be in trouble long before the season even heats up.
I understand this model and all but I'd like to see one of the cupcake games replaced with a home and home with Notre Dame. Make it more stronger with an instate team. I would say Butler, But I dont want to see Mike Woodson @ Hinkle lol.

. It’s the Iowa state model. Start paying attention more. Your response shows you haven’t been paying attention. Most IU fans don’t.
yep, I was about to get on my old guy high horse, then you mentioned NET manipulation and I snapped back into the 21st century. About time we started playing the game others have been playing. It's all about NIL and NET today.

Still, sucks to see no IU vs KU or UK, or ACC/B1G challenge matchup. Even the Atlantis lineup looks watered down from previous years. Hard to get excited about the Winthrop matchup. This system creates a lot of shitty matchup in Nov/Dec.

agreed, as a self proclaimed bball purist, it sucks. But the 1980s aren't coming back.

This strategy only works if we pound the shit out of these cupcakes. It backfired last year when we could barely beat the sacrificial lambs they marched into the Hall in December. Means CMW needs to refrain from tinkering with the rotations until we're up 30 in the game.

yep, I was about to get on my old guy high horse, then you mentioned NET manipulation and I snapped back into the 21st century. About time we started playing the game others have been playing. It's all about NIL and NET today.

Still, sucks to see no IU vs KU or UK, or ACC/B1G challenge matchup. Even the Atlantis lineup looks watered down from previous years. Hard to get excited about the Winthrop matchup. This system creates a lot of shitty matchup in Nov/Dec.
Next years schedule will have UK on it. I think next years schedule will look a little better.

.net manipulation is more important the lower you are. In other words, for a bubble team maybe you can move up 20 spots with scheduling. A top 5 team may be able to affect their rating, but obviously the difference is going to be smaller.

Hopefully we get to the point where we are playing the .net game to move from a 2 seed to a 1 (for example). But, it seems to me that the discussions around .net and scheduling are reserved for the talking heads debating bubble teams.

let's get realistic...
Level of Competition: B1G programs often plan their schedules years in advance, particularly for non-conference games. These schedules may be set 2-3 years ahead, especially for high-profile matchups and tournaments. We are not in the position where we can raise our hand and say "come play us" and have schools lining up to play us. It takes development.
Contracts and Negotiations: The process involves negotiations between schools or with tournament organizers. Contracts need to be drafted and signed, which can take time, especially if specific terms or conditions are involved.
Logistics and Coordination: Schools must coordinate available dates, travel arrangements, and other logistical details. This coordination becomes complex when dealing with televised games, as broadcast schedules also play a crucial role.
Conference Schedules: B1G Conference games are usually determined by the B1G and follow a set rotation that schools have less control over. These schedules are typically released annually, but planning occurs well in advance. With the additional schools coming in required more shuffling.
Special Events: Special non-conference events like preseason tournaments, holiday tournaments, and other showcase games are often scheduled several years in advance due to their complexity and the high level of interest from multiple teams.

Our level of play this last decade did not offer opportunities for marquee match ups. Work still needs to be done.

.net manipulation is more important the lower you are. In other words, for a bubble team maybe you can move up 20 spots with scheduling. A top 5 team may be able to affect their rating, but obviously the difference is going to be smaller.

Hopefully we get to the point where we are playing the .net game to move from a 2 seed to a 1 (for example). But, it seems to me that the discussions around .net and scheduling are reserved for the talking heads debating bubble teams.
valid point....after the NIL money that was spent this spring/summer, if we're still sweating IU's NET rating at the beginning of next March, then it's gonna be another long winter.

let's get realistic...
Level of Competition: B1G programs often plan their schedules years in advance, particularly for non-conference games. These schedules may be set 2-3 years ahead, especially for high-profile matchups and tournaments. We are not in the position where we can raise our hand and say "come play us" and have schools lining up to play us. It takes development.
Contracts and Negotiations: The process involves negotiations between schools or with tournament organizers. Contracts need to be drafted and signed, which can take time, especially if specific terms or conditions are involved.
Logistics and Coordination: Schools must coordinate available dates, travel arrangements, and other logistical details. This coordination becomes complex when dealing with televised games, as broadcast schedules also play a crucial role.
Conference Schedules: B1G Conference games are usually determined by the B1G and follow a set rotation that schools have less control over. These schedules are typically released annually, but planning occurs well in advance. With the additional schools coming in required more shuffling.
Special Events: Special non-conference events like preseason tournaments, holiday tournaments, and other showcase games are often scheduled several years in advance due to their complexity and the high level of interest from multiple teams.

Our level of play this last decade did not offer opportunities for marquee match ups. Work still needs to be done.
How did we schedule Arizona, home/home with Kansas, and UConn the past two years?

This is the direct result of NET manipulation. The Big 12 and Big East did just that last year. Teams took notice and will replicate it.
Obviously that’s his/their goal. Woody better figure out how to blow teams out though. Or this approach doesn’t work all that well. It also doesn’t prepare his team much for B10 play.

Obviously that’s his/their goal. Woody better figure out how to blow teams out though. Or this approach doesn’t work all that well. It also doesn’t prepare his team much for B10 play.
It’s a damn shame that this approach fails miserably at getting a team ready for the rigors of the B1G. Especially road games. Remember when THAT was the actual goal of non-con?

It’s a damn shame that this approach fails miserably at getting a team ready for the rigors of the B1G. Especially road games. Remember when THAT was the actual goal of non-con?
It doesn’t matter as much when you have an experienced team that’s already played a B10 season or two, largely together.

We have a few guys that have battled through the B10 schedules together. But enough of our team is new that I’d have liked to see a few more tests outside of Bahamas.

As it stands, for Woodys plans to have any positive impact, they’re gonna have to drill all these weak home opponents. Something he’s not often been able to produce as IUs coach. But this is his best, deepest, and most versatile roster. No excuses. He built a good roster. He chose the non conf schedule. It’s all on him at this point. Whether he believes it is or not.

I’m all for starting a season against a tough-top rated team just to see where the team is related to that other team! Then schedule a couple cupcakes to get the team in a good rhythm. Then schedule another tough game or 2 before the conference season starts! The ratings/stats be danmed! Just make sure the team is gelling when it needs to be!

I’m all for starting a season against a tough-top rated team just to see where the team is related to that other team! Then schedule a couple cupcakes to get the team in a good rhythm. Then schedule another tough game or 2 before the conference season starts! The ratings/stats be danmed! Just make sure the team is gelling when it needs to be!
Yep. 2 cupcakes then South Carolina is fine. Atlantis is perfect bur the bottom, add another high major (ND or Butler home and home). Cupcakes around xmas and new years is fine

Woody hasn't figured out non-conf scheduling yet. May be some PTSD from last season when he overestimated his team and failed to see the potential loss of X and it's impact.

They'd probably say these games are scheduled way in advance and Atlantis coukd be huge. I suppose that's true but Atlantis could be weak if they don't win. I don't see the top programs setting up weak non-conf often.

valid point....after the NIL money that was spent this spring/summer, if we're still sweating IU's NET rating at the beginning of next March, then it's gonna be another long winter.
Compare IU to Michigan St., State had Net of 24 vs IU a Net 98, because of who they played, same results but different ratings! Michigan St. will go and play them. IU has almost guaranted to have a higher Net than Purdue next year, may have the same results, but Purdue has scheduled Alabama(H), Marquette(R), Auburn and Texas A&M on neutral sites. So if IU and Purdue end up on the bubble, Purdue probably is dancing and IU not!

Last edited:
I guess I get the argument, but IU's NET (and most every other analytic) sucked last year because the team sucked. Not because they didn't optimize it.

I was at the game where they nearly lost to FLGC... Which was like a mid 200s team. Also struggled to beat teams like Kinnsesaw St and a terrible Army team.... among other very ugly showings.

How exactly is this a better optimized schedule than last year?

I guess I get the argument, but IU's NET (and most every other analytic) sucked last year because the team sucked. Not because they didn't optimize it.
Directly due to bench play and rotations. If IU would have used a shorter rotation and won games against cupcakes by 10+ they probably would have made the tourney. Maybe.

It was a combination of players sucking, and the coach not optimizing it.

Did you not see the lineup efficiency stats posted on Miya. IU's core lineup was top 3 to top 20 nationally. Spending a majority of time in the top 10. We played deep until February and were using multiple efficiency killers in combination when he went to the bench especially early in the season. Cutting a few bench minutes, keeping 4 starters on the floor and there would have been a huge difference.

Last edited:
Directly due to bench play and rotations. If IU would have used a shorter rotation and won games against cupcakes by 10+ they probably would have made the tourney. Maybe.

Did you not see the lineup efficiency stats posted on Miya. IU's core lineup was top 3 to top 20 nationally. Spending a majority of time in the top 10. We played deep until February and were using multiple efficiency killers in combination when he went to the bench especially early in the season. Cutting a few bench minutes, keeping 4 starters on the floor and there would have been a huge difference.

096f36b9c6acc36da436d1427b8c1f359017a329.gifv

dumb(ass)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT