ADVERTISEMENT

Rice committed

He made him self some money probably by staying. He has draft stock now. He'll make a team. Although probably last year had about the same chance, so I'm not sure.

Maybe he just liked Purdue and wanted to try to win one more year. He did well, they won the B!G again, made a big run at it all.
I think that's right, he has some draft stock now. I don't think he really had any last year. That's why he came back.

There is a move to require it be public and I hope it succeeds. This is ripe for serious corruption and it’ll be loss so with transparency. There has to be good oversight too.
I doubt it does. What precedent has been set for private income has to be divulged? They pay taxes like I do then that is the transparency. It’s not like they are government employees. I know some don’t understand that. Even when or if congress gets involved it won’t stop NIL.

Reactions: nichlee
Coaches will look to spend all the NIL they can, up to the committed amounts. They're incentivized to -- they want the best roster to win (and keep their jobs) and it's not their money. It won't always be maxed out, but it will be close. No different than any organization given a budget.

As for what individual players get, I don't care, broad estimates are iinteresting and close enough for me.
That is most definitely not how it works in any organization. I have a couple hundred million in this year’s budget for operating expenses, ongoing contracts and new projects. If I’ve budgeted $10 million based on internal estimates for a project but I find a reputable and reliable contractor who bids to do it for $8 million, do I say, “no, I’m going to give you $10 million?” Of course I don’t. Same if you or I set aside $5,000 to renovate our back deck and we find someone to do it for $3,000 do we give him $3k or $5k? Well, this happened to me and I paid him $3K. Great job too.

No one and no organization looks to spend their entire budget if they can get what they want and need for less. It’s illogical to think this doesn’t apply to NIL. Besides, unless the rules changed, coaches don’t control it.

Do you disclose your 10-99s W-2’s with the public? Why would their pay need to be made public?
We know what they pay coaches and faculty at public schools. We know what the President, Congress, and many government officials make. We know what NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL and other pro spots athletes make. We should know what college athletes are getting and who’s paying them.

We know what they pay coaches and faculty at public schools. We know what the President, Congress, and many government officials make. We know what NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL and other pro spots athletes make. We should know what college athletes are getting and who’s paying them.
Why?

Yes that is happening and will always happen, but it will become increasingly more rare. We are at the beginning of these significant changes. It makes me question if it’s even worth recruiting high school kids when you can get an all conference point guard with three years of eligibility left. It takes a lot of guesswork out of the evaluation process.
The college players all come from high schools. And college players generally have four years of eligibility. If high school players aren’t recruited, we eventually have no college athletes to move from university to university.

Last edited:
That is most definitely not how it works in any organization. I have a couple hundred million in this year’s budget for operating expenses, ongoing contracts and new projects. If I’ve budgeted $10 million based on internal estimates for a project but I find a reputable and reliable contractor who bids to do it for $8 million, do I say, “no, I’m going to give you $10 million?” Of course I don’t. Same if you or I set aside $5,000 to renovate our back deck and we find someone to do it for $3,000 do we give him $3k or $5k? Well, this happened to me and I paid him $3K. Great job too.

No one and no organization looks to spend their entire budget if they can get what they want and need for less. It’s illogical to think this doesn’t apply to NIL. Besides, unless the rules changed, coaches don’t control it.
Coaches will look to use all they can, it’s not their $, they don’t have incentive to save it. They may not use it all if they can’t land a player. But in general, they will try and use all they can. They aren't owners nor are the comped on P/L like your example.

It’s not that important of a point. The commitment is what is interesting in comparing programs. That indicates resources available to the coach.

Last edited:
But that is their structured collective bargaining agreement. Those players still get NIL outside of that. They don’t include that in their salaries. Government employees are not private. public corporations are required to show the books. Try telling the Hunt oil family to open their books. WTF.

Reactions: nichlee
He's executing his strategy to get better talent than he had. You may not like it, and I don't like the lack of bench development, but this recruit means we'll put talent on the floor. I just don't want to hear we'll take time to gel. We saw this year there is no time.
Such a different day. I mean, here I go getting drug back in….. but woody and these assistant coaches are just fine paying players and utilizing all that goes into what is legal today.

Woody just landed a humungous upgrade to our Gs last year. Now get 2 more that are as good if not better than Galloway. Do that, and get Ballo? This team will be able to play like woody wants and be successful. Last year was a horrid roster and he didn’t adjust.

Since we know he won’t adjust, he needs way better guard play. Just took a big step in that direction. Now get 2 more.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of private earnings being disclosed.

But I can see reasons. Help stop bait and switch style corruption. Stop corruption where someone has a fiduciary duty to one school from getting paid to steer a kid elsewhere.

It wouldn't be the first type of contract that needs to be public.
It’s all private, and both parties are protected by law. Who would oversee it anyway? The NCAA!?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
But that is their structured collective bargaining agreement. Those players still get NIL outside of that. They don’t include that in their salaries. Government employees are not private. public corporations are required to show the books. Try telling the Hunt oil family to open their books. WTF.
No it’s not. Most faculty, coaches, and public officials aren’t in unions.

These players are getting paid NIL money to play basketball for public institutions (with private school exceptions, but they are also members of the NCAA), and there are strings, including transparency in compensation, that come with that.

Also, the compensation of the executives and BODs of publicly owned companies is disclosed by law (if you can buy stock in it, it’s publicly owned).

Reactions: CriticArisen
No it’s not. Most faculty, coaches, and public officials aren’t in unions.

These players are getting paid NIL money to play basketball for public institutions (with private school exceptions, but they are also members of the NCAA), and there are strings, including transparency in compensation, that come with that.
They are not getting paid to play basketball. They are getting paid for name, image, and likeness.

The issue I see is what are the donors going to want in return? Disclosure doesn’t address that though.
I wouldn’t call them donors. The point of NIL is that an athlete’s NIL is valuable to a business, charity or other organization for advertising products or bringing attention to causes. It’s not supposed to be legalized under the table bribery from boosters for play like happened at UK and elsewhere. It’s supposed to a contract between the athlete and an organization which theoretically benefits both parties.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
I wouldn’t call them donors. The point of NIL is that an athlete’s NIL is valuable to a business, charity or other organization for advertising products or bringing attention to causes. It’s not supposed to be legalized under the table bribery from boosters for play like happened at UK and elsewhere. It’s supposed to a contract between the athlete and an organization which theoretically benefits both parties.
Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Players at IU receive NIL because they are playing for IU, a public institution.

If Cav and Fanduel have an NIL joint venture, and we know about it, then we can get our picks directly from Cav.

There is so much money in basketball now-just NBA player salaries are approaching $4 billion/yr. I don’t know how much is bet online for bball games but certainly big money that attracts shady relationships.

Coaches will look to use all they can, it’s not their $, they don’t have incentive to save it. They may not use it all if they can’t land a player. But in general, they will try and use all they can. They aren't owners nor are the comped on P/L like your example.

It’s not that important of a point. The commitment is what is interesting in comparing programs. That indicates resources available to the coach.
Actually, it’s a very important point. Yes, money available indicates maximum potential pay out, but it doesn’t indicate what will be spent. Also, coaches don’t have this as funny money to spend. They don’t control it. It’s controlled by people companies and organizations that expect something in return for paying a player for use of the player’s NIL. A company or person isn’t going to pony up $1.5M for a player just because the coach really wants the player. It has to be worth it to the company or person too.

Last edited:
This is going to be a tough offseason for PU. They just lost a very rare shot a title, now they lose Lurch, which they know is a big deal. IU is about to have one of the biggest portals in the country -- we are spending $4-5M (whatever the number is, it's a lot). This will trigger them as good players come to IU and it gets attention. TBD if IU passes PU, Painter runs a great program, but the gap will narrow as we use our NIL.
A lot of people don't know this: Edey's likely replacement (Furst) is not another Matt Painter seven-footer.

He is listed at 6'10" (which makes him a whopping 1 inch taller than the intimidating Trey Kauffman-Renn and 2 inches taller than the muscular, linemanlike Brian Waddell. He's not going to just waltz in and be a new Edey.

Edey was listed at 7"4', six inches taller than Furst. Of course he made a difference. While Painter may have another nominal seven-footer on the roster next year (1) if he's here now he wasn't impressive, and (2) rankings and stars don't mean anything until we see him play.

Here you go, Purdue. Johnny's been there too:

• Haha
Reactions: Tammany Hall
Liking/respecting how a program is being run vs what we are doing is not changing allegiance’s. IU is the state school of Indiana but PU is running its program like they are “the” state school.
more the reason to align with them with your thinking.

"Allegiance is a noun that means loyalty or adherence to something to which one is bound by a pledge or duty. For example, you can pledge allegiance to a flag, or swear allegiance to a government or cause. "

You have no allegiance to IU... you never attended the school, you do not donate to the school, your only allegiance is to an idealistic notion of an era you were not a part of... whereas some us actually lived it during that era! You only denigrate based on that notion. Head on to the link above you will find a nice home there.

Actually, it’s a very important point. Yes, money available indicates maximum potential pay out, but it doesn’t indicate what will be spent. Also, coaches don’t have this as funny money to spend. They don’t control it. It’s controlled by people companies and organizations that expect something in return for paying a player for use of the player’s NIL a car dealership isn’t going to pony up $1.5M for a player just because the coach really wants the player. It has to be worth it to the dealership too.
No. NIL collectives that pay the bulk of the NIL basically follow the guidance of the coach. Hoosiers Connect is not arguing with the IUBB staff. Coaches spend as much of the available NIL as they can given their incentives.

This is as much on donors as it is Woodson. Woodson stinks so bad that donors have to buy him a team.

Ballo's offer is at 1.2 million. We aren't in his recruitment because Woodson is awesome

Anyway, rice is a good get and will be a big help. I would say it would be comparable to adding JHS.
Wha-a-a-t?

We're supposed to fire Woodson, Mark Cuban and Andy Mohr all at the same time??!?

No. NIL collectives that pay the bulk of the NIL basically follow the guidance of the coach. Hoosiers Connect is not arguing with the IUBB staff. Coaches spend as much of the available NIL as they can given their incentives.
That isn’t in accordance with the initial intent or rules. I’ll have to research current rules, but anyone that approaches this with the attitude of “$X million is available and I’m going to spend all of it” is a fool.

You have no allegiance to IU... you never attended the school, you do not donate to the school, your only allegiance is to an idealistic notion of an era you were not a part of... whereas some us actually lived it during that era! You only denigrate based on that notion. Head on to the link above you will find a nice home there.
That's lame.

Most of the taxpayers of the state have no allegiance then either.

Hopefully they don't try to claw back their funds.

more the reason to align with them with your thinking.

"Allegiance is a noun that means loyalty or adherence to something to which one is bound by a pledge or duty. For example, you can pledge allegiance to a flag, or swear allegiance to a government or cause. "

Watch and learn jackass

That isn’t in accordance with the initial intent or rules. I’ll have to research current rules, but anyone that approaches this with the attitude of “$X million is available and I’m going to spend all of it” is a fool.
I see no issue. If money is allocated for NIL the coach is supposed to try and use it to build the best roster possible. Coaches don’t get comped on saving NIL $. Of course they need to allocate it smartly — don’t give $1M to a walk on. They still want to get a good return on the NIL spend.

Link this information, please.

Also, not just you, but many on this board should learn the difference between informed opinions, uninformed opinions and baseless speculation on one hand, and facts on the other.
You are trying too hard, Aloha.

There are a lot of these helpful, timesaving meters online. You should have no trouble finding a good one.

il_794xN.2673366993_m06k.jpg

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
That's gotta be Wal-Mart money.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Calipari has to go in for his mandatory cubicle meeting with Wal-Mart's buyers.
Ha, sounds like some of it is Wal-Mart money and I would hope the Waltons give him a “line review”.

Their huge donor is Tyson, the chicken man. 🐔

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT