ADVERTISEMENT

Rice committed

Keep in mind…kid had been on chemo until late summer. If you have ever been around anyone who has been through treatment know fatigue is an issue long after. The kid hit a wall. He shot 35% on volume 3s for 80% of the year. Guess who else was a volume shooter at 35%? Lance jones. Stop worrying about his freshman slump. He’s going to be great.
Wow. And, Lance Jones is an All-American -- I read that on Gold and Black, so it must be true. 😬.

I do t hate positive, IU just hasn’t had any dude. And yep native Hoosier who has watched both my entire life. Sooo??
So, being a "native Hoosier" means what exactly?

Isiah Thomas and Scott May (and on and on) were not from Indiana.

I'd like to see our guard play and shooting improved. The forwards and big men usually have. Guards not as much.

I hope we get Carlyle. He is a bit of a black hole with the ball, going only off highlights, but he can fill it up. I could see penetration by Rice, nothing there, kicks it back out to Carlyle. For three... Kicking it back out to our current guys, not as exciting.

Last edited:
Can't believe they put the airball brick at 2:25 in there. :D

He has a good game.
So far it doesn't look like 'pure shooter' should be near the top of the description. (He does the fade away instead of following his shot nearly every time that Indiana loves, he'll fit right in with our coaching staff. But at least he isn't jumping sideways.) I think it's more about range, looks like he's forcing a little more from deep, not that he has any trouble at all getting it there. I think then his slightly unusual mechanics might come into play then. Hopefully those saying he is a good shooter are correct.

But he looks good. All-around point guard! A few pick and roll style dishes for dunks in those highlights, so he sets up and gives up the rock. With the ball is fast but under control.

Nice. Glad to have him.
Speed is there.... like X in driving to basket with speed... let's just hope more foward thinking and decision making...

Meaning I have lived here my entire life and can cheer for home state schools. Not sure what May and Thomas have to do with this?
Cheer away! You’re certainly welcome to be a fan. I have many friends and relatives that did not attend IU who are IU fans. They generally refer to IU as IU, and use words like they, them and their, rather than using we, us and our. It’s a peeve, sure, but some of us have actual connections to IU.

Just looking at stat lines looks to me like small upgrade over Trey and big upgrade over Cupps but comparing his freshman stats to Trey’s 4th year stats. Looks like good hops on highlights.

Reactions: OpenWheels
Cheer away! You’re certainly welcome to be a fan. I have many friends and relatives that did not attend IU who are IU fans. They generally refer to IU as IU, and use words like they, them and their, rather than using we, us and our. It’s a peeve, sure, but some of us have actual connections to IU.
living the school experience is different...it resides within...

Where's all the PUkes?
Must be worried about trying to replace Lurch. Party is over.
This is going to be a tough offseason for PU. They just lost a very rare shot a title, now they lose Lurch, which they know is a big deal. IU is about to have one of the biggest portals in the country -- we are spending $4-5M (whatever the number is, it's a lot). This will trigger them as good players come to IU and it gets attention. TBD if IU passes PU, Painter runs a great program, but the gap will narrow as we use our NIL.

Woodson sucks. He should be fired.
This is as much on donors as it is Woodson. Woodson stinks so bad that donors have to buy him a team.

Ballo's offer is at 1.2 million. We aren't in his recruitment because Woodson is awesome

Anyway, rice is a good get and will be a big help. I would say it would be comparable to adding JHS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brebelle3 and ulrey
This is going to be a tough offseason for PU. They just lost a very rare shot a title, now they lose Lurch, which they know is a big deal. IU is about to have one of the biggest portals in the country -- we are spending $4-5M (whatever the number is, it's a lot). This will trigger them as good players come to IU and it gets attention. TBD if IU passes PU, Painter runs a great program, but the gap will narrow as we use our NIL.
How do you know how much NIL IU is spending? Got a link? We should all see that.

This is as much on donors as it is Woodson. Woodson stinks so bad that donors have to buy him a team.

Ballo's offer is at 1.2 million. We aren't in his recruitment because Woodson is awesome
Link this information, please.

Also, not just you, but many on this board should learn the difference between informed opinions, uninformed opinions and baseless speculation on one hand, and facts on the other.

Whatever the Indiana NIL is, the rumors of how much the Tyson guy is going to toss in for Calipari at Arkansas is pretty scary. He's going to win there, will be hard not to if the rumored cash is right. Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and O's.

The new blue bloods will be the schools with billionaire benefactors who stay the course.

I doubt PU is worried about what IU is doing. Going and buying portal guys isn’t Painter style. He recruits and develops, something Woody should do as well.

Reactions: ulrey
How do you know how much NIL IU is spending? Got a link? We should all see that.
Reporters that talk to collectives. They don't write about it since they're asked not to. Up to you to take the info or leave it. Every fact is not written in some link.

Last edited:
Whatever the Indiana NIL is, the rumors of how much the Tyson guy is going to toss in for Calipari at Arkansas is pretty scary. He's going to win there, will be hard not to if the rumored cash is right.

The new blue bloods will be the schools with billionaire benefactors who stay the course.
Not necessarily. Look at the national title game. Those two teams weren’t NIL teams bought. Best teams will continue to be the best “teams”. It’s why you will see teams like Creighton, Iowa st, PU, to be really good.

Whatever the Indiana NIL is, the rumors of how much the Tyson guy is going to toss in for Calipari at Arkansas is pretty scary. He's going to win there, will be hard not to if the rumored cash is right. Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and O's.

I think they reported $3-5M, we're right there with them.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I doubt PU is worried about what IU is doing. Going and buying portal guys isn’t Painter style. He recruits and develops, something Woody should do as well.
What they should care about is irrelevant, we're about to get a bunch of players and it will annoy them. It will help IU to some extent. That's it.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I think they reported $3-5M, we're right there with them.
I thought I remembering hearing 8+ , (must have been a fans' stupid reddit post or some useless 'source') so of course my fevered imagination made 10+ the new bar... LOL

Google search now showing me 5, as you stated.

Thanks.

I am expecting ridiculous NIL inflation year after year as it becomes known as the norm. Scary. The useless toothless NCAA is the main cause.

Last edited:
Reporters that talk to collectives. They don't write about it since they're asked not to. Up to you to take the info or leave it. Every fact is not written in some link.
So, if they don't write about it, I assume that means no tweets, posts, etc..
Then how do you know such a specific number as 1.2M?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Reactions: brebelle3 and ulrey
I was hearing 8+ , so of course my fevered imagination made 10+ the new bar... Links are showing me 5, as you state.

Thanks.

I am expecting ridiculous NIL inflation year after year as it becomes known as the norm. Scary. The useless toothless NCAA is the main cause.

I would say the courts are the main cause since it was the courts that eviscerated the NCAA rules.

Not necessarily. Look at the national title game. Those two teams weren’t NIL teams bought. Best teams will continue to be the best “teams”. It’s why you will see teams like Creighton, Iowa st, PU, to be really good.
Yeah, Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and O's but only to a point. Coaching will always matter a lot.

Reactions: bsmitty08
I don't know the $1.2M, someone else posted that.

It's very hard to figure out the exact numbers, you have to triangulate and estimate and listen to what people say. If people don't believe it that's fine, I just think it's interesting to discuss and try and figure it out.

I thought I remembering hearing 8+ , (must have been a fans' stupid reddit post or some useless 'source') so of course my fevered imagination made 10+ the new bar... LOL

Google search now showing me 5, as you stated.

Thanks.

Question may be if that's $8-10M over two years, which gets to $4-5M/year. It seems NIL commitments are really over a few years to account for the facts not all players are one and done and of course NIL is needed each year.

$10M is a lot to spend in one year. The top players seem to go for $1M/year (and I think it's usually less), so having eight to ten of them seems off.

Last edited:
Reactions: OpenWheels
Literally took me 5 seconds.

That doesn't answer the question. I've seen stuff like that. It doesn't say what the players are getting. You're saying you know but haven't linked your source. That's what I want to see. That's what I want to know, not what speculation.

Exactly. This is what I'm asking for. A reported pot of money is only the maximum the entire team could get. It says nothing about what they're actually getting. All I've seen is speculation and I've looked. As far as I can tell it's baseless information from people that don't have any more access to the facts than we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT