ADVERTISEMENT

Rice committed

That doesn't answer the question. I've seen stuff like that. It doesn't say what the players are getting. You're saying you know but haven't linked your source. That's what I want to see. That's what I want to know, not what speculation.
It does. I said Arkansas has $3-5M to spend and that's exactly what the articles say.

I don't know what each player is exactly getting, I've never posted about specific players. Some other people may know.

I know approximately what Cal has to spend on his roster. That's all I care about when comparing programs.

I don't know the $1.2M, someone else posted that.

It's very hard to figure out the exact numbers, you have to triangulate and estimate and listen to what people say. If people don't believe it that's fine, I just think it's interesting to discuss and try and figure it out.
Estimates and speculation are fine as long as you say it's an estimate or speculation. Don't report it as if it's a fact. The factual information is what I'm looking for.

There was an article I read or in one of the many interviews after the end of the tournament and a reporter said it was "reported" that a player was getting umpty squat NIL money and the player just laughed at the reporter and said he'd seen those "reports" and wondered where they got that from because he didn't even get half of that. Or words to that effect. That's what happens when people start speculating baselessly and it morphs over into "fact." I like facts, not baseless speculation.

Estimates and speculation are fine as long as you say it's an estimate or speculation. Don't report it as if it's a fact. The factual information is what I'm looking for.

There was an article I read or in one of the many interviews after the end of the tournament and a reporter said it was "reported" that a player was getting umpty squat NIL money and the player just laughed at the reporter and said he'd seen those "reports" and wondered where they got that from because he didn't even get half of that. Or words to that effect. That's what happens when people start speculating baselessly and it morphs over into "fact." I like facts, not baseless speculation.
No, you're just struggling to follow the discussion.

It does. I said Arkansas has $3-5M to spend and that's exactly what the articles say.

I don't know what each player is exactly getting, I've never posted about specific players. Some other people may know.

I know approximately what Cal has to spend on his roster. That's all I care about when comparing programs.
That's not enough to compare programs. It's only a theoretical maximum. They may spend a fraction. It's supply and demand. They're not going to pay more than they need to.

You're right, Hickory said $1.2 million.

@IU_Hickory, please link your source. Looking for facts.

That's not enough to compare programs. It's only a theoretical maximum. They may spend a fraction. It's supply and demand. They're not going to pay more than they need to.

You're right, Hickory said $1.2 million.

@IU_Hickory, please link your source. Looking for facts.
NIL is a tool in the toolbox for a coach. Trying to understand the NIL availability for each program is interesting and relevant given players are paid NIL.

This is simple.

I doubt PU is worried about what IU is doing. Going and buying portal guys isn’t Painter style. He recruits and develops, something Woody should do as well.
Painter also pressures the players to stay as an IOU instead of do what’s best for their career. Edey should have been drafted last year. If he would have had any lower leg issues this year, he would have lost millions of dollars.

This is as much on donors as it is Woodson. Woodson stinks so bad that donors have to buy him a team.

Ballo's offer is at 1.2 million. We aren't in his recruitment because Woodson is awesome

Anyway, rice is a good get and will be a big help. I would say it would be comparable to adding JHS.
If you’re a big man, you’d have to be insane to not want to play for Woodson if you have NBA aspirations.

You came to the wrong place.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Painter also pressures the players to stay as an IOU instead of do what’s best for their career. Edey should have been drafted last year. If he would have had any lower leg issues this year, he would have lost millions of dollars.
lol, convincing a kid to stay, make more money is bad for his career? You seriously can’t make this stuff up. Also he probably recruits kids that care about the name on the jersey and a degree

• Haha
Reactions: Vern Pain
Nope, posted links. You just don't understand it. That's fine.
Dude, I understand your link perfectly well. You don't seem to understand that how much NIL money available is the maximum they could be spending on players. It does not indicate WHAT they're spending on players. I want to know that. Maximums may be interesting as the maximum possible, but not what I'm asking.

Last edited:
Question about NIL. When it started the school and coaches weren't allowed to be involved with what players negotiate for themselves with boosters, businesses, organizations, etc. Have the rules changed to allow direct involvement by the school and/or coach?

lol, convincing a kid to stay, make more money is bad for his career? You seriously can’t make this stuff up. Also he probably recruits kids that care about the name on the jersey and a degree
After Harms and Eastern left, he said players that transfer away aren’t boilers. He is going to get crushed in the NIL, transfer portal era.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
Dude, I understand your link perfectly well. You don't seem to understand that how much NIL money has is the maximum they could be spending on players. It does not indicate WHAT they're spending on players. I want to know that. Maximums may be interesting as the maximum possible, but not what I'm asking.
It doesn’t matter what each individual averages. It’s the fact that they have that much to spend on Nil. I have heard IU is offering Ballou over 1 mil because someone else offered him a Million. So IU is trying to outbid for him. It’s all hearsay but it’s definitely rumor mill right now

Question about NIL. When it started the school and coaches weren't allowed to be involved with what players negotiate for themselves with boosters, businesses, organizations, etc. Have the rules changed to allow direct involvement by the school and/or coach?
The courts have basically rendered the NCAA helpless when it comes to policing their own NIL rules. Yes, the NCAA has rules disallowing what you’ve described but it’s not enforced as they’ll lose in court.

Some kids care about the degree and about the university. There were kids in the tournaments with undergrad and graduate degrees, many were kids that stayed at one university and did it. Those that wanted to take advantage of that extra COVID year did.

It doesn’t matter what each individual averages. It’s the fact that they have that much to spend on Nil. I have heard IU is offering Ballou over 1 mil because someone else offered him a Million. So IU is trying to outbid for him. It’s all hearsay but it’s definitely rumor mill right now
I'm not looking for what the average is. I'm looking for what each kid gets. If Ballo gets $1M+, I'd like to know it. If Leal get's $100K, I'd like to know it. Without knowing what each category (star starter, to regular starter, to bench players), it's hard to know what it takes to give a specific player we want out of the portal based on role and the demand.

Some kids care about the degree and about the university. There were kids in the tournaments with undergrad and graduate degrees, many were kids that stayed at one university and did it. Those that wanted to take advantage of that extra COVID year did.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with getting kids that want to go to university and play for a certain coach vs buying kids. Different strategy and character of kid

I'm not looking for what the average is. I'm looking for what each kid gets. If Ballo gets $1M+, I'd like to know it. If Leal get's $100K, I'd like to know it. Without knowing what each category (star starter, to regular starter, to bench players), it's hard to know what it takes to give a specific player we want out of the portal based on role and the demand.
It doesn’t have to be made public though.

Yes that is happening and will always happen, but it will become increasingly more rare. We are at the beginning of these significant changes. It makes me question if it’s even worth recruiting high school kids when you can get an all conference point guard with three years of eligibility left. It takes a lot of guesswork out of the evaluation process.

Dude, I understand your link perfectly well. You don't seem to understand that how much NIL money has is the maximum they could be spending on players. It does not indicate WHAT they're spending on players. I want to know that. Maximums may be interesting as the maximum possible, but not what I'm asking.
Coaches will look to spend all the NIL they can, up to the committed amounts. They're incentivized to -- they want the best roster to win (and keep their jobs) and it's not their money. It won't always be maxed out, but it will be close. No different than any organization given a budget.

As for what individual players get, I don't care, broad estimates are interesting and close enough for me.

Yes that is happening and will always happen, but it will become increasingly more rare. We are at the beginning of these significant changes. It makes me question if it’s even worth recruiting high school kids when you can get an all conference point guard with three years of eligibility left. It takes a lot of guesswork out of the evaluation process.
Will this work though? The motivation for the kid could be more about their contract and draft status vs playing hard and being a good teammate. Talent is great but you still have to recruit “fit”, character and motivation.
Would you rather go buy a kid or build a relationship and watch him develop over 4 years and graduate?

Reactions: .Gerdis
Will this work though? The motivation for the kid could be more about their contract and draft status vs playing hard and being a good teammate. Talent is great but you still have to recruit “fit”, character and motivation.
Would you rather go buy a kid or build a relationship and watch him develop over 4 years and graduate?
It will “work” because every national champion from now on will pay players and have transfers. The coaches that accept reality and manage all these dynamics will be successful.

It will “work” because every national champion from now on will pay players and have transfers. The coaches that accept reality and manage all these dynamics will be successful.
They may have a few but the main core will be recruiting kids from high school not Free agency.
Much rather have 8-9 kids who was recruited and add a spot of need through the portal

They may have a few but the main core will be recruiting kids from high school not Free agency.
Much rather have 8-9 kids who was recruited and add a spot of need through the portal
Another reason why I am glad you aren’t the coach

What interest was there for Edey in the draft last year?

Edey can't make NIL money in the USA because he's on a student visa. If he was a draft prospect last year, he gave up millions to return to Purdue. I don't think he is that dumb.

Edey can't make NIL money in the USA because he's on a student visa. If he was a draft prospect last year, he gave up millions to return to Purdue. I don't think he is that dumb.
He’s not dumb. He’s 21, and was guided by a coach that just experienced the worst loss in tournament history.

He made him self some money probably by staying. He has draft stock now. He'll make a team. Although probably last year had about the same chance, so I'm not sure.

Maybe he just liked Purdue and wanted to try to win one more year. He did well, they won the B!G again, made a big run at it all.

Reactions: bsmitty08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT