ADVERTISEMENT

Reneau is coming back ….

Not saying you’re wrong, but wouldn‘t McNeeley have studied IU’s offensive and defensive schemes before he committed? In other words, isn’t it unlikely that he did so only after committing?
I have no idea why he originally committed nor what he thought post TJD IU would look like

Your premise and point makes sense...and I guess we'll see how strong the NIL money variances play a role...here very soon.

I hope you're right. But I don't think, for the top guys...the guys that have legit NBA chances, and/or are legit P5 difference making prospects... I don't think the a couple hundred grand difference, when you're talking about mid 6 figures plus...will end up being the deciding factor for most of them. There's likely a diminishing impact on a "couple hundred grand" difference, the larger the floor level offers are. I would guess we'll be fishing for guys in the 4-500K plus ponds. I very strongly doubt if that level of player gets a roughly 500K NIL package from a school that plays a favorable style, and has great prospects of winning, etc... that they'd choose a school that has a package of 700K ish, that is a bad overall fit with questions on how good the team will be. 100K to 300K...different story maybe.
I'd agree for the most part on a 100-200K difference, and my guess is all these kids can work out something through agents or "friends of the family" where they can get a loan, but I think the amount of NIL will play a role if it's much more than that (say $400K or more). The bottom line is most of these kids believe they are going to play in the NBA regardless of where they go, and most are probably right: it depends more on them than the system or coach. But certainly being highlighted in a system helps. It's why it's been frustrating that CMW couldn't capitalize more off of JHS's success to get guards. In my mind the school that has separated themselves on NBA likelihood is UK, but now they're losing in the tournament. Did you see Calipari's pre game presser yesterday? Flatly stated that 70+% of kids who get a UK scholly play in the NBA (think he said are drafted) and of those, 73% get a 2nd NBA contract. That's powerful. It was funny hearing Jay Wright comment that "that's recruiting, right there!". IMO, that's why Boogie picked UK, not because he didn't want to play in CMW's system/offense. Oh, and I'll bet there NIL deal was within $200K of IU's, if not more. Now Love, Knecht, et al...? That might've had more to do with how CMW/IU would use them.

Last edited:
There is some amount of money that would persuade Ware to return. If he is drafted bottom of first round then likely 2 year contract at $2 mil+ per year and then the third year option. if he stayed chance of career ending injury so say at least $4-5 mil to get him to stay I guess

Reactions: Tammany Hall
CMW better be getting many bigs in the portal, cuz I dont want MR starting next year! He is only good for 4-5 dumb touch fouls a game and 3-4 turnovers/game! His IQ is close to Troy Williams level! I thought it would be best for him to get a fresh start somewhere else! His only worth is 2-3ft from the basket on offense! I dont want this offense running through him at all next year! Sry, but im probly the biggest hater of MRs game on here! Not saying he’s a bad kid, but he is not a good bball player! Oh well, if he sucks like he did this year, he and CMW can hit the same train outa town!
Reneau was our second leading scorer (just slightly lower than Ware), got 6 rebounds per game and shot more free throws than anyone else. Yes, he needs to defend better without fouling, but comparing him to Troy Williams is beyond ridiculous.

Reneau was our second leading scorer (just slightly lower than Ware), got 6 rebounds per game and shot more free throws than anyone else. Yes, he needs to defend better without fouling, but comparing him to Troy Williams is beyond ridiculous.
Not really. Basketball IQ of both is minimal. Emotional Intelligence of MR needs a complete redo.

Reactions: HoosierAlum07
There is some amount of money that would persuade Ware to return. If he is drafted bottom of first round then likely 2 year contract at $2 mil+ per year and then the third year option. if he stayed chance of career ending injury so say at least $4-5 mil to get him to stay I guess
I'm sure there is...but if you're able and willing to give anyone that kind of money...then split it up 2-3 ways and go get a couple guys like Zeke Mayo, Robert Ford III, and some stud 3 and D wing guy.

Not sure Woody would know how to coach those guys...but as much as I love Kelel Ware, that'd be a much better ROI, even if Woody couldn't maximize them.

Reactions: Spartans9312
GHe
There is some amount of money that would persuade Ware to return. If he is drafted bottom of first round then likely 2 year contract at $2 mil+ per year and then the third year option. if he stayed chance of career ending injury so say at least $4-5 mil to get him to stay I

I doubt he would come back for less than 3 million minimum given the risk of injury. He knows woodson needs him in the worst way so he can name his price. IF woodson has to pay 4 million basically all the NIL is gone.

Reactions: CriticArisen
RIght. What kid is going to worry about making a million dollars today, vs a couple hundred thousand at another school when they might make millions in a few years. Wait, what? Almost all of them will!

If you're hungry, you don't care about the cheeseburger (sorry, if you're younger than 50, you may not get the Popeye reference!) that might or might not be repayed next week, you want the damn sandwich now, regardless of what meals yo
I'd agree for the most part on a 100-200K difference, and my guess is all these kids can work out something through agents or "friends of the family" where they can get a loan, but I think the amount of NIL will play a role if it's much more than that (say $400K or more). The bottom line is most of these kids believe they are going to play in the NBA regardless of where they go, and most are probably right: it depends more on them than the system or coach. But certainly being highlighted in a system helps. It's why it's been frustrating that CMW couldn't capitalize more off of JHS's success to get guards. In my mind the school that has separated themselves on NBA likelihood is UK, but now they're losing in the tournament. Did you see Calipari's pre game presser yesterday? Flatly stated that 70+% of kids who get a UK scholly play in the NBA (think he said are drafted) and of those, 73% get a 2nd NBA contract. That's powerful. It was funny hearing Jay Wright comment that "that's recruiting, right there!". IMO, that's why Boogie picked UK, not because he didn't want to play in CMW's system/offense. Oh, and I'll bet there NIL deal was within $200K of IU's, if not more. Now Love, Knecht, et al...? That might've had more to do with how CMW/IU would use them.
Oh for the good old days when Larry Bird was so poor he showed up on campus with little more then the clothes on his back and was so embarrassed he left. I came from a poor rural background and know what it’s like. These current top players are not in any way poor and I am glad for NIL for their sake even though it sucks for me.

Right, except that at least at IU, just about every player on our bball team (Leal was getting enough to pay his sister's tuition, so by just about every player, I mean, every player!) is getting some NIL, whereas a very small fraction are ever sniffing the NBA, or will even play pro ball. NIL is pretty impactful for all athletes in major sports and the best in many of the secondary ones, it sounds like.

Reactions: nichlee
Oh for the good old days when Larry Bird was so poor he showed up on campus with little more then the clothes on his back and was so embarrassed he left. I came from a poor rural background and know what it’s like. These current top players are not in any way poor and I am glad for NIL for their sake even though it sucks for me.
They might not be after NIL, but they/their families certainly could be before. And, NIL isn't life changing money for most, but damn, it sure would be nice to know your kid might be making $100-200K over 4 years at a school like IU vs you having to pay for everything as Larry and is parents and yours, did!

GHe

I doubt he would come back for less than 3 million minimum given the risk of injury. He knows woodson needs him in the worst way so he can name his price. IF woodson has to pay 4 million basically all the NIL is gone.
If I were Ware no way if less than 4.

Cody Williams is No 1 in many mock drafts and his brother Jalen is having a hell of a rookie season for OKC. Sam Presti is one hell of a judge of NBA talent.

It is concerning that we are basically having to pay players whatever they want to stay at IU or even come here. More money is not going to improve heart and effort. It basically puts the players in control with no power left to coach them.
When the boosters said we are giving woodson 2 million more to be successful that just proves to me they know he cannot be successful without having to buy players at top dollar. It also shows me the boosters have no clue about basketball. I guarantee Northwestern does not even have 1/3 the NIL IU does and they are a far better team. IU used to be liek a Northewestern or WIsconsin but now we are no different than a Kentucky.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
When the boosters said we are giving woodson 2 million more to be successful that just proves to me they know he cannot be successful without having to buy players at top dollar. It also shows me the boosters have no clue about basketball. I guarantee Northwestern does not even have 1/3 the NIL IU does and they are a far better team. IU used to be liek a Northewestern or WIsconsin but now we are no different than a Kentucky.
I think they just set him up for more failure because 6 is not enough for CMW.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Agreed he can name his price at IU honestly. GIven Woodson had zero recruits signed they know he is super desperate
From the comments I've read and heard, there's zero % chance he's coming back, period. He's going to be a first round pick, maybe end of lottery depending on how he does in workouts and will get a multi-year contract. Plus, more than anything, I think he wants to be in the NBA. Ware's gone, the coaching staff can focus on Reanu and now Mbako and filling out the roster from there.

Great. Has nothing to do with the topic.
Except you mentioned basketball IQ. Reneau sees the floor better than TW did. We also have not seen MR dribbling mindlessly at the top of the key while the shot clock winds down, only to turn the ball over or take a bad shot like TW was famous for.

Reactions: asindc
I'm sure there is...but if you're able and willing to give anyone that kind of money...then split it up 2-3 ways and go get a couple guys like Zeke Mayo, Robert Ford III, and some stud 3 and D wing guy.

Not sure Woody would know how to coach those guys...but as much as I love Kelel Ware, that'd be a much better ROI, even if Woody couldn't maximize them.
“Moneyball” approach? I like it.

I think the players in the portal can see through Woodson's schtick. Its all about the benjamins....and IU is going to have to cough up an obscene amount of cash just to find guys who can get IU into the upper half of the conference. Unfortunately, if that happened...Woodson will get a raise and an extension. Catch 22, rinse and repeat. I can't compare the IU vicious cycle with anything else....and I've tried. Maybe the Chicago Bears?

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT