Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m agnostic

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I’m an atheist

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • I’m unsure

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
I like to think of it as being agnostic about one more god than a religious person. We’re both agnostic, although they’re more likely atheist, about all the gods in the pantheon except one.

Last edited:
Not looking to pour cold water on your poll, but I don't know how revealing and meaningful the results are. Your stated objective is to discern "how religious the board is or isn't." Someone who responds in the affirmative to "I'm a Christian" isn't necessarily religious and isn't necessarily a practicing Christian. I was recently speaking with someone who claimed to be a devout Christian. He insisted that Jesus endorsed "an eye for an eye." In fact, Jesus explicitly rejected that idea which is the antithesis of his teachings and the central message of the gospels.

P.S. Just for context, I'm very familiar with the New Testament and identify as Christian.

I was curious how religious the board is or isn’t.
One interesting thing to think about: what is it about religion that we truly value and makes a difference in the world and our lives? Is it the belief in the supernatural or is it the moral system that it taught and enforced with that religion?

If its the moral system (which I think is more important and matters more), then we are almost all Christians in the United States.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not looking to pour cold water on your poll, but I don't know how revealing and meaningful the results are. Your stated objective is to discern "how religious the board is or isn't." Someone who responds in the affirmative to "I'm a Christian" isn't necessarily religious and isn't necessarily a practicing Christian. I was recently speaking with someone who claimed to be a devout Christian. He insisted that Jesus endorsed "an eye for an eye." In fact, Jesus explicitly rejected that idea which is the antithesis of his teachings and the central message of the gospels.

P.S. Just for context, I'm very familiar with the New Testament and identify as Christian.
No worries. I was curious what someone identifies as and should have been clearer.

One interesting thing to think about: what is it about religion that we truly value and makes a difference in the world and our lives? Is it the belief in the supernatural or is it the moral system that it taught and enforced with that religion?

If its the moral system (which I think is more important and matters more), then we are almost all Christians in the United States.
Hmmmm. While certainly a borderline atheist myself, for those with failth I'm not sure they separate the moral system from the belief in the supernatural.

In fact, have any moral systems ever been developed absent a religious undertone?

Is that just how we humans organize a moral system in our still evolving brains?

Reactions: snarlcakes

Any doctrine added to the teachings of the first century church would be by “false prophets”.

I never quite understood the morals argument. Some people have a very strong sense of morals without it being hammered over their heads as the only way to behave in order to avoid spending eternity in hell

Reactions: UncleMark
Hmmmm. While certainly a borderline atheist myself, for those with failth I'm not sure they separate the moral system from the belief in the supernatural.

In fact, have any moral systems ever been developed absent a religious undertone?

Is that just how we humans organize a moral system in our still evolving brains?
Agreed. I’m not much of a believer either. More hopeful. I just read an article about all the churches closing. Not good for society. If nothing else a weekly reminder “to be good” is a good thing and hope that something better is waiting to those leading a shitty life is also a good thing

Sad to see

Sorry to be a philosopher here, but it depends on what you mean be "systems," "developed," "religious," and "undertone."

I never quite understood the morals argument. Some people have a very strong sense of morals without it being hammered over their heads as the only way to behave in order to avoid spending eternity in hell

Agreed. I’m not much of a believer either. More hopeful. I just read an article about all the churches closing. Not good for society. If nothing else a weekly reminder “to be good” is a good thing and hope that something better is waiting to those leading a shitty life is also a good thing

Sad to see
Here's the way I have learned to interpret it:

Old Testament: Follow God's commands to avoid his wrath.
New Testament: Obey God because he loves us as evidenced by sending his Son as a sacrifice.

Think of it as how our relationships with our parents or other benevolent authority figures evolve over time. As immature children, our main goal is to escape being punished. As we mature, we should begin looking outward and figuring out how our actions affect those who care about us (a lesson taught in the parable of the Prodigal son). In other words, we shouldn't act moral to escape Hell and achieve Heaven...we should want to be good to please God. The difference is in the motivation. The problem is we can never be good enough, so we have to rely on God’s grace, as the Prodigal son did in the story.

I hate to say it, but VPM's signature says it much better.

Sorry...I'll go back to being an insufferable ass now.

Last edited:

I agree with this. I voted "I'm Christian" because I grew up and still consider myself Catholic. It's not that I've sworn it off or anything like that, but I'm at a point where I'm not going to church as much, though I've thought about remedying that.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Here's the way I have learned to interpret it:

Old Testament: Follow God's commands to avoid his wrath.
New Testament: Obey God because he loves us as evidenced by sending his Son as a sacrifice.

Think of it as how our relationships with our parents or other benevolent authority figures evolve over time. As immature children, our main goal is to escape being punished. As we mature, we should begin looking outward and figuring out how our actions affect those who care about us (a lesson taught in the parable of the Prodigal son). In other words, we shouldn't act moral to escape Hell and achieve Heaven...we should want to be good to please God. The difference is in the motivation. The problem is we can never be good enough, so we have to rely on God grace, as the Prodigal son did in the story.

I hate to say it, but VPM's signature says it much better.

Sorry...I'll go back to being an insufferable ass now.
Nicely stated on this Monday morning. We ought to look at VPM putting a weekly package together for us. A little roadmap each Monday to guide us for the week. Seems too many posters have lost their way chasing sin and vice. Would be a better contribution than his take on shitty Buffet restaurants

I agree with this. I voted "I'm Christian" because I grew up and still consider myself Catholic. It's not that I've sworn it off or anything like that, but I'm at a point where I'm not going to church as much, though I've thought about remedying that.
I'd identify (what a word) as Catholic if you've got a gun to my head. Used to occasionally attend when I was younger and the usual Christmas/Easter services.

But what I liked most was always any homily or any of the historical readings that might come up. The Catholics did a good job of recording most of what happened over the early to late middle ages (Yes, I know it was from their perspective).

I'd identify (what a word) as Catholic if you've got a gun to my head. Used to occasionally attend when I was younger and the usual Christmas/Easter services.

But what I liked most was always any homily or any of the historical readings that might come up. The Catholics did a good job of recording most of what happened over the early to late middle ages (Yes, I know it was from their perspective).
The traditions and trappings of catholic school and mass were wonderful growing up. Probably another mistake I’ve made with the little heathen down the hall

Her religion is WOKE!!!! It’s a cult!!! They shame us and tell us what to say and how to act in classic rock hoodies, dunks, and lulus!! Wtf!! That ain’t nothin like the teachings of the good Lord. She wouldn’t last ten minutes doing the stations of the cross

The traditions and trappings of catholic school and mass were wonderful growing up. Probably another mistake I’ve made with the little heathen down the hall
I agree with this. Before moving to a college town without any Catholic school - or any real Catholic community - we were pretty immersed in our Catholic school/church/community in the DC area. Thinking back, most of the people we saw regularly went to that church or had kids in the school where my kids went.

My kids are by and large fine kids, but I sometimes wonder how things would have developed for them had they stayed in that Catholic school at least until 8th grade ( when we moved, my daughter was in 2nd grade and my son was in 4th grade).

Those who study how people respond to questions asked in this poll tell me that a growing number of folks don't assign themselves to any particular organized religion, or call themselves religious, but instead refer to themselves as being spiritual.

As for me. try to be a moral person as I understand them to be and respect the religious beliefs of others. Not entirely sure what being spiritual means.

Those who study how people respond to questions asked in this poll tell me that a growing number of folks don't assign themselves to any particular organized religion, or call themselves religious, but instead refer to themselves as being spiritual.

As for me. try to be a moral person as I understand them to be and respect the religious beliefs of others. Not entirely sure what being spiritual means.
I consider myself an atheist and never understood religion. Even as a kid, the few times my parents took us to church, I couldn’t bring myself to believe any of it. With regard to morals I have always behaved with the understanding that, as far as we currently know, your time on Earth is all there is. Enjoy it. And I am happy when those I come into contact with (family, friends and strangers) have a smile on their face. So be kind, be generous, and do what you can to make the world a better place.

Not entirely sure what being spiritual means.
My hunch on this is that a lot of people define spiritual as meaning "I've experienced that transcendental feeling you get when you stare up at a star-filled night or across the ocean, look at a staggeringly beautiful mountain range or valley, listen to an amazing piece of music, etc., I like it, and I value it." I think it's linked to Freud's "oceanic feeling."

My hunch on this is that a lot of people define spiritual as meaning "I've experienced that transcendental feeling you get when you stare up at a star-filled night or across the ocean, look at a staggeringly beautiful mountain range or valley, listen to an amazing piece of music, etc., I like it, and I value it." I think it's linked to Freud's "oceanic feeling."
I don't disagree with that.

I'll add that my sense is that "spiritual" means that and a preference not to be part of any organized religion. Lots of folks have seen and experienced the bad outcomes of being a part of an organized religion and prefer not to be part of that.

Reactions: Univee2 and larsIU
I don't disagree with that.

I'll add that my sense is that "spiritual" means that and a preference not to be part of any organized religion. Lots of folks have seen and experienced the bad outcomes of being a part of an organized religion and prefer not to be part of that.
I watched my Mom's view of the Catholic church change over her life as the scandals broke. I think she felt betrayed though she didn't discuss it much. Still thought the church was a force for good but it damaged her faith a bit I think.

Maybe not in God but in the institutions spun up in his name or service.

I watched my Mom's view of the Catholic church change over her life as the scandals broke. I think she felt betrayed though she didn't discuss it much. Still thought the church was a force for good but it damaged her faith a bit I think.

Ditto. The Rico claims and how the church handled itself was deplorable

Yep. I saw a good number of family members with broken hearts over all that.

Sort of related, it's amazing to think how big a deal something like my First Communion was. I remember we did a big party with cousins and relatives at the VFW. For my kids, they got some cards and my parents came for it. I honestly can't pinpoint what specifically changed or why things changed. Might just be how seriously religion was taken/viewed from generation to generation.

Yep. I saw a good number of family members with broken hearts over all that.

Sort of related, it's amazing to think how big a deal something like my First Communion was. I remember we did a big party with cousins and relatives at the VFW. For my kids, they got some cards and my parents came for it. I honestly can't pinpoint what specifically changed or why things changed. Might just be how seriously religion was taken/viewed from generation to generation.
yeah, confirmation was a letdown by comparison.

yeah, confirmation was a letdown by comparison.
for sure. but still a big deal and a marker. the jewish kids have rich experiences/markers. the public school heathens mark youth by when they got a tiktok account, instagram, etc. altho in fairness we're weak, everyone is divorced up at school. not sure my daughter and i could stand the pariahs we'd be at our local catholic

Reactions: larsIU
That ain’t nothin like the teachings of the good Lord. She wouldn’t last ten minutes doing the stations of the cross
Hadn't thought of the stations of the cross in years. 45-60 minutes on Friday afternoon with Sister Hermela's class and then again in the evening when Mom dragged us back.
My kids are by and large fine kids, but I sometimes wonder how things would have developed for them had they stayed in that Catholic school at least until 8th grade ( when we moved, my daughter was in 2nd grade and my son was in 4th grade).
My sons have 16 and 12 years of catholic education. Both are atheists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT