ADVERTISEMENT

Relax, Archie Miller isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Univee2

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2002
He's not quitting today. He's not being fired. At least right away. Sampson isn't returning and he shouldn't ever get within a thousand miles of IU despite some of the ludicrous revisionist history crap some spew. Brand and Sampson are the two pieces of crap most responsible for where IU now stands in the basketball world.

I can't imagine you could find an Indiana fan anywhere who isn't disappointed with the performance of the team and Miller the last several years. But Miller will get his time. If we were doing his performance review every category would have "doesn't meet expectations" checked for every review line. He'll get at least two more years. So don't go thinking your wishes are going to be granted.

College basketball requires the horses underneath and strong guard play. It's all in having the players. This isn't the Bear Bryant time of coaching where "he can take his'n and beat your'n and then take your'n and beat his'n." The best get the best. Until Archie Miller can do that we won't see much better than we keep seeing.

I don't know the answer. I do know that organizations for which I've worked have talked about "being too quick to hire and too slow to fire." Maybe that's where we are. We need some accountability, responsibility and commitment from those making the calls. I don't see much evidence of that, however, so I'm skeptical that anything game-changing is going to happen, however much I wish it to be so.

Changing the culture of any organization is hard. Leaders who can successfully do this are rare. Because there’s always so much entrenched equity in the cultural status quo.

People need to realize that we need more than a coaching change. We need what Steven Covey famously termed a “paradigm shift.”

Our program will never become what we all want to be until and unless this happens. And it’s entirely possible that it won’t in our lifetimes.

Changing the culture of any organization is hard. Leaders who can successfully do this are rare. Because there’s always so much entrenched equity in the cultural status quo.

People need to realize that we need more than a coaching change. We need what Steven Covey famously termed a “paradigm shift.”

Our program will never become what we all want to be until and unless this happens. And it’s entirely possible that it won’t in our lifetimes.

Yep. And those are depressing thoughts.

I do think Glass retiring gives a glimmer of hope regarding the cultural change of which you speak. He’s done a nice job of addressing the physical plant challenges at IU, but his lack of athletic department, playing and coaching experience has made him a poor leader from the standpoint of instilling and maintaining the right culture.

Look Archie is our Groce. Mid-major guy who wasn't ready for B1G. Let's cut our losses and give another guy a shot. Recruiting is going to continue to decline top players are not interested in the NIT.

May be right. Archie Miller could/will suddenly become a coaching genius when he has recruited much better, stronger, smarter and mentally-strong players.

I agree..Absolutely will be back next year 1000%
Idk what to say to to the giver uppers..
I guess Turn it off..Don't watch ..Don't care..
I'm not liking it either at the moment..But I'm still with them..
And I dont let it eat me up daily like some.

If people quit showing up to games and got loud enough then Archie would be gone this year. IU fans have settled on mediocre. It’s the truth. No end in sight

Reactions: zibby43
If people quit showing up to games and got loud enough then Archie would be gone this year. IU fans have settled on mediocre. It’s the truth. No end in sight

Some people will try to argue with this, because they don't want to accept the reality that IU basketball is no longer any different from Iowa or Minnesota basketball.

But, sadly, it's true. The only thing that the administration will pay attention to is people voting with their wallets: don't go to home games, don't make donations, etc.

The season isn't over this year. But it may as well be. This third season is going to be a repeat of the past 2, albeit with marginal (but not meaningful or consistent) improvements here and there.

Reactions: Kyser123
He's not quitting today. He's not being fired. At least right away. Sampson isn't returning and he shouldn't ever get within a thousand miles of IU despite some of the ludicrous revisionist history crap some spew. Brand and Sampson are the two pieces of crap most responsible for where IU now stands in the basketball world.

I can't imagine you could find an Indiana fan anywhere who isn't disappointed with the performance of the team and Miller the last several years. But Miller will get his time. If we were doing his performance review every category would have "doesn't meet expectations" checked for every review line. He'll get at least two more years. So don't go thinking your wishes are going to be granted.

College basketball requires the horses underneath and strong guard play. It's all in having the players. This isn't the Bear Bryant time of coaching where "he can take his'n and beat your'n and then take your'n and beat his'n." The best get the best. Until Archie Miller can do that we won't see much better than we keep seeing.

I don't know the answer. I do know that organizations for which I've worked have talked about "being too quick to hire and too slow to fire." Maybe that's where we are. We need some accountability, responsibility and commitment from those making the calls. I don't see much evidence of that, however, so I'm skeptical that anything game-changing is going to happen, however much I wish it to be so.

I've always thought he would get at least 5 years . However, with Fred retiring, I’m not so sure. Archie needs to right the ship and finish the season strong. If we limp into the tourney as 11 or 12 seed, I think Archie will be on the hot seat for next year. Archie won’t be the new A.D.’s guy.

Fist bump???

Look Archie is our Groce. Mid-major guy who wasn't ready for B1G. Let's cut our losses and give another guy a shot. Recruiting is going to continue to decline top players are not interested in the NIT.
Iu brass doesnt care so archie will be going nowhere. Archie is basically richard pitino.

Reactions: IUgradman
I've always thought he would get at least 5 years . However, with Fred retiring, I’m not so sure. Archie needs to right the ship and finish the season strong. If we limp into the tourney as 11 or 12 seed, I think Archie will be on the hot seat for next year. Archie won’t be the new A.D.’s guy.
Spot on.

We’ve shown moments of really good basketball. The issue is sustained play it just hasn’t been there.

If the rest of this season bombs, Archie will most certainly be on the hot seat. IF that happens, we better be worrying more about who the next AD / President will be.

EDIT: have been mystified as to why Archie doesn’t come down on some guys or gets rid of people. Don Fischer gives some insight here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT