ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State thoughts

The topic is what are one thoughts on the Ohio State game. I actually was a bit optimistic in my presentation saying that the Hoosiers might have a better punting game and they might have a better kickoff return.

Would you prefer this: the Hoosiers have virtually no chance of beating Ohio State. They are outmatched at almost every position. In fact the second string probably also outmatches the Hoosiers everywhere. Collectively the quarterbacks have completed something like three passes in their careers. I imagine that Ohio state will take their foot off the gas when they're ahead by about four touchdowns. But then again the regular season is a beauty contest to get picked for the playoffs so they might just keep racking up the score. The Hoosiers are at the bottom of the conference in returning production and once again are relying on portal players with 40 new team members. This has not worked in the past 2 years winning two conference games last year and zero conference games the year before that.

I think the spread should probably be closer to 35 points but I would not touch this spread particularly since I would get no joy from watching my university gets steamrolled.

You lit me up a few years ago when I said that I thought Indiana might have a better offensive and defensive line than Michigan. You called it the stupidest post I had ever made. And then the Hoosiers went out and pushed Michigan all over the field and won the game.

Show a little humility 76. Either that or move up with the big boys and pay $9.99 a month. What do you expect to get for free?
"The Big Boys" 🤣😂 that's a group you think you've become a part of because you shell out $9.99 a month???

I feel incredibly sad for you.

Last edited:
They are going to start an inexperienced QB and have an O-line that has some questions. I think this will limit OSUs scoring. I think they lean heavy on the run game to break in the QB and limit mistakes. This will eat clock. It also looks like the Hoosiers D-line and LBs are stout enough to limit OSU's run game. Thus I don't think they will put up big numbers unless IU turns the ball over a lot and gives them a short field. The bigger problem is IU scoring points against a very tough defense with inexperienced QBs.
They have a new offensive coordinator too. Wilson is a pretty big loss in that department.

He did have a down year, but before that, he was very reliable.
He was.

The news from practice on the kicking front is much improved as you saw.

Clear separation between the two contenders as the injury heals.

Nothing more important than that first make in a real game for a Freshman but I like the “mosh pit” drills to put pressure on the youngster.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
They have a new offensive coordinator too. Wilson is a pretty big loss in that department.
Agreed. If you dig into Day's results as OC on his own (at Temple and Boston College) they aren't super impressive. Will be harder to replace than people think.

Brian Hartline is an incredible recruiter/WRs coach but very unproven as OC.

Definitely something that will show up in the big games I think.

Agreed. If you dig into Day's results as OC on his own (at Temple and Boston College) they aren't super impressive. Will be harder to replace than people think.

Hard to mess up talent on the field but it’s the close game calls. If teams keep it close they could possibly lose a game or two they aren’t supposed to.

Reactions: midwolfe and Fro

They have three games before their first big test at Notre Dame. I’m sure there will be some growing pains for Hartline, but he played there and has been on their staff for several years, so it’s unlikely they‘ll change much at all. Their offensive issues will be largely based on a new quarterback and how quickly he adjusts.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13

You realize that Day is still calling plays right? Just as he’s done the past 7 years. CKW was Co Cord with Frye and didn’t call plays. They plan on letting Hartline eventually call plays but as of now, it’s still Day. Same as it’s been that has lead the nation in scoring for the past 4 seasons.

"The Big Boys" 🤣😂 that's a group you think you've become a part of because you shell out $9.99 a month???

I feel incredibly sad for you.
It's called sarcasm. And I don't belong to the pay site. I was also making a general comment about folks on the free site making an effort to belittle others because they don't possess "expert" knowledge.

In all the years I posted on here I've never taken personal shots at anybody.

Why do you have to needle people and make personal attacks? Isn't it enough for you just to speak about your opinion or to comment about somebody else's opinion.

Last edited:
It's called sarcasm. And I don't belong to the pay site. I was also making a general comment about folks on the free site making an effort to belittle others because they don't possess "expert" knowledge.

Why do you have to needle people and make personal attacks? Isn't it enough for you just to speak about your opinion or to comment about somebody else's opinion.
If you go out of your way to dump on INDIANA FOOTBALL you can pretty much Expect me to verbally attack you... If you attack me you can Expect the same...

//I can't decide if you're just incredibly disingenuous or incredibly unaware of your own posts...//

I consider Day a good coach but not yet great because he hasn't proved his offensive prowess or even with play calling. They'll miss KW a ton. Hartline, Day, new QB and questionable OL added together doesn't offer what they lost to Tulsa. But against IUFB I fear their D. LOS and ST's and which way TO's break are paramount.

You know how it is around here. If you're not all sunshine lollipops and rainbows just STFU

Reactions: secondasky
I consider Day a good coach but not yet great because he hasn't proved his offensive prowess or even with play calling. They'll miss KW a ton. Hartline, Day, new QB and questionable OL added together doesn't offer what they lost to Tulsa. But against IUFB I fear their D. LOS and ST's and which way TO's break are paramount.
They hired Joe Philbon as an offensive analyst. I’m pretty sure they won’t miss CKW. How has Day not proved his prowess or play calling? Wilson never called the plays. The last part I agree with but your first half is completely not even close to being correct. Look up again how many points his offense has scored a GM the past 7 seasons.

You realize that Day is still calling plays right? Just as he’s done the past 7 years. CKW was Co Cord with Frye and didn’t call plays. They plan on letting Hartline eventually call plays but as of now, it’s still Day. Same as it’s been that has lead the nation in scoring for the past 4 seasons.

Correct.

Day has been running HIS offense ever since he was calling the plays for Urban. Wilson oversaw much more on the development side of things, especially the offensive line, despite the offensive coordinator tag,

They hired Joe Philbon as an offensive analyst. I’m pretty sure they won’t miss CKW. How has Day not proved his prowess or play calling? Wilson never called the plays. The last part I agree with but your first half is completely not even close to being correct. Look up again how many points his offense has scored a GM the past 7 seasons.
Day has been outstanding, particularly as an offensive coach (his pedigree). Their challenges of late have overwhelmingly been on D.

Day has been outstanding, particularly as an offensive coach (his pedigree). Their challenges of late have overwhelmingly been on D.
Agreed, since ‘19 it seems when they get punched in mouth they fold. Maryland hung with them last year so hopefully our coaches really look at that tape. I feel we have equal talent to them (Maryland)

Agreed, since ‘19 it seems when they get punched in mouth they fold. Maryland hung with them last year so hopefully our coaches really look at that tape. I feel we have equal talent to them (Maryland)
The influx of portal guys may impact this, but I don’t think we’re at Maryland’s talent level.

We are equal to Maryland except at QB. Last year showed we were and this IU team is much better. I hope with the experience our QB gains there won't be any real difference. Those close games are the ones I count as potential wins.

Last edited:
Yes, the perceived talent gap v. Maryland is smaller than most think.

I think our DL will be improved this year, with a fast, mike sized body at Mike and #44 at sting, benefitting with TFLs.

I agree about no injuries.
I would guess that 51-6 vs 35-25 leaves a different confidence level going forward.
Agree.

I also think this season will rise and fall with the Louisville game. By then they’ll have had 1 giant, 1 cupcake, and 1 challenge. Those three scores will tell us everything we need to know to prepare ourselves.

I think they are taking us even less seriously than our own "fans" 🙄 do (which is Really saying something)...

You're both in for a surprise, in my opinion.
Love your enthusiasm and would be ecstatic if you are correct.
Unfortunately I am one of those guys that thinks we give up at least 50 and likely score no more than 13

So you consider him great and I as yet don't. KW as HC raised IUFB offensive #'s. Same thing when he joined the Bucks. He's a good coach also but also not great. They'll miss his scheming skills and talent creating matchup advantages to move the ball. Maybe Hartline can too but it'll take time to determine to what degree. I do like their choice to develop his OC future.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and Fro
Ahia wants to get out with a W without opening up the playbook too far. Think they would be happy with 35-7.
Might be too pessimistic of a take on my part...but I think they'll be able to put up 50 on us with very vanilla runs, and play action stuff.

Their defense will give them great field position, if not score points themselves.

The keys to whether the game will be reasonable, roughly the score you say...or an unreasonable blowout where they score 50+...will be whether or not we can run the ball, and whether or not we can contain the run...

So you consider him great and I as yet don't. KW as HC raised IUFB offensive #'s. Same thing when he joined the Bucks. He's a good coach also but also not great. They'll miss his scheming skills and talent creating matchup advantages to move the ball. Maybe Hartline can too but it'll take time to determine to what degree. I do like their choice to develop his OC future.
Well he’s made 3 playoff appearances in just 4 seasons as HC. He’s also had 3 straight Heisman finalists. I think he’s a top 3 offensive mind in CFB IMO but yes, he’s had a lot of talent to work with.

I actually think the NC goes through the OSU defense - in other words, if they can field a decent defense (for a change), they win it all. Let's be honest, their problems the last 2 or 3 years has been giving up huge plays in big games especially after they've had 2nd half leads especially in the Michigan and Georgia games. Their offense will be - again - one of the top 2 or 3 in CF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT