ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting followers, please tell me IU is looking at DT and wrestling...

4IUSox2

Senior
Feb 5, 2003
...state champ, Shawn Streck of Merrillville!!! He is an absolute beast at 6'1"/285.

For college, would he prefer football or wrestling?

Success in both sports is not unusual, but at some point an athlete has to choose which direction he wants to go. Frankly, from what I have seen through the years a football player who was a good high school wrestler is usually a very good college football player because of the balance and overall strength that wrestling requires. Rarely do you see an athlete pursue both sports in college. Any idea what this guy prefers at the next level?

Re: Recruiting followers, please tell me IU is looking at DT and wres

Scout and 247 indicate there is at least initial interest from Indiana. Not sure what sites you checked before asking, but I found that fairly quickly through Google.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

yes please. Reminds me a lot of Mike Neal (Purdue) that's also

From Merrellville. 18 sacks in two years. An anchoring NG with strength and ability to get low and hold is vital to a 3/4.

He started at DT for Merrillville as a freshman. For a big school that has produced lots of talent, that's saying something. During his soph yr, a story up here mentioned IU, MSU, Illinois and a few others, but hadn't seen anything lately. I've seen this kid since he played jr bulldogs in Crown Pt. He can probably pick his sport since he's a monster in both.

there was a good wrestler from IN

who ended up on the dline at OSU. Think it took 3 years for him to see the field but played eventually. Can't remember his name.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Dexter Larimore

I believe that is his name and he was from Merrillville.

Correct. Dexter Larrimore was a DT and wrestler at Merrillville. Word was he and Hep really hit it off too. Unfortunately for IU, OSU liked him too. Game over. I'm pretty sure in the fall of '04, the Pirates had Neal as a senior and Larrimore was a junior. Nice hs D-line!!!

There's an article somewhere where his high school coach

says he could be better than Larimore and Michael Neal, both played there, Neal's in the NFL right now.
This post was edited on 2/24 8:23 AM by ademamp

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT