ADVERTISEMENT

Woody's lack of effort on the recruiting trail

BCCHoosier

All-Big Ten
Sep 5, 2001
Combined with product on the floor equally bother me. At this point, I've given up that he's capable of changing the product on the floor.

But recruiting, in particular in-state recruiting is about effort. The fact he has put in so little effort to see Sisley and Mullins is unacceptable. He had an entire weekend off and should have have been out hit some games.

The message it sends locally that you can fly down to Montverde countless times but not hit the local market is a bad one.

His effort needs to improve or he should retire. Making too much money not to work hard.

Combined with product on the floor equally bother me. At this point, I've given up that he's capable of changing the product on the floor.

But recruiting, in particular in-state recruiting is about effort. The fact he has put in so little effort to see Sisley and Mullins is unacceptable. He had an entire weekend off and should have have been out hit some games.

The message it sends locally that you can fly down to Montverde countless times but not hit the local market is a bad one.

His effort needs to improve or he should retire. Making too much money not to work hard.
I honestly believe he just goes after whomever Ya tells him we need,

What happened with the Sisley recruitment?
Multiple sites saying it has been months since Woody has gone in person to see Sisley. Meanwhile Izzo has been down there and MSU and ND are a real threat.

I obviously don't have a tracker on Woodson. But it was confirmed he was not there to see Mullins last weekend despite IU being off.

I have a hard time critiquing recruiting because it’s so hard to get the whole picture on the staff’s strategy and relationship status with each recruit.

That said, the concerns could be valid and I’m glad people are bringing them up. Indiana produces a lot of talent, and most people in this state can SHOOT, and if we are neglecting the locals that sucks. We may not be in fairness.

Given our current roster construction issues, reports like this worry me.

It's common knowledge in the AAU circuit CMW doesn't recruit. His assistants do a lot of the work but that has tapered off due to the notion that IU will fill through the portal rather than develop high school talent.

I ask this question... other than Cupps and Newton, name another recruit (either through the portal or recruited from high school) that wasn't basically paid for through NIL?

I've written this a few times, IU has become a NIL school. CMW can't walk into a kid's living room that is 16 and honestly recruit him. He can't look at the kid and promise he'll be at IU and length of time plus every other programs point to the fact he'll fill through NIL.

It's common knowledge in the AAU circuit CMW doesn't recruit. His assistants do a lot of the work but that has tapered off due to the notion that IU will fill through the portal rather than develop high school talent.

I ask this question... other than Cupps and Newton, name another recruit (either through the portal or recruited from high school) that wasn't basically paid for through NIL?

I've written this a few times, IU has become a NIL school. CMW can't walk into a kid's living room that is 16 and honestly recruit him. He can't look at the kid and promise he'll be at IU and length of time plus every other programs point to the fact he'll fill through NIL.
Full of sh!t.

Dead center truth.

Preach brother.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

But everyone is told this is how P5 basketball operates now. You have to have a huge NIL donor network to make the big deals the best players are demanding, but they'll hit the portal every year anyway to try to get an even better deal. Coaches who aren't all-in on NIL (e.g. Fife) won't make it.

Recruiting and school loyalty is for the kids who aren't good enough or well-known enough to get big NIL deals.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Let’s be real and admit Woody is semi-retired and is not going to put in more effort than necessary. The fan base is perfectly fine with mediocrity and gets really pumped with occasional NCAA berths. There’s no pressure and he can coast until he tells Dolson he’s bouncing. Proven college coaches have no interest in coming to such a dysfunctional program, thus you get what you get. I guess be happy Dolson chose him over a retread or an up and comer whose career would be derailed after the typical 3-5 year coaching cycle. Just don’t expect relentless recruiting as the golden parachute gently floats its way to the bank.

Let’s be real and admit Woody is semi-retired and is not going to put in more effort than necessary. The fan base is perfectly fine with mediocrity and gets really pumped with occasional NCAA berths. There’s no pressure and he can coast until he tells Dolson he’s bouncing. Proven college coaches have no interest in coming to such a dysfunctional program, thus you get what you get. I guess be happy Dolson chose him over a retread or an up and comer whose career would be derailed after the typical 3-5 year coaching cycle. Just don’t expect relentless recruiting as the golden parachute gently floats its way to the bank.
And thats just fine and dandy with an administration like IU's who... we all know why they are like they are.

Nailed it

So Woodson has coached 88 games 2 and 1/2 years so far in those games Indiana has lost by 15 or more points 15 times 17% of the time. I Went back the last 5 years Chris Beard has lost 3 times by 15 or more at 3 different schools Texas, Texas Tech, and Ole Miss. Dusty May 3 times the past three years mostly 2 years ago.

So Woodson has coached 88 games 2 and 1/2 years so far in those games Indiana has lost by 15 or more points 15 times 17% of the time. I Went back the last 5 years Chris Beard has lost 3 times by 15 or more at 3 different schools Texas, Texas Tech, and Ole Miss. Dusty May 3 times the past three years mostly 2 years ago.
JfC Chris Beard hire would cure all the bullshit this fanbase has had to deal with (sans 5/6seasons) since 1994. Hell with Ole Miss, they dont deserve him.

Tell me how anything I wrote is bs?
Virtually all programs fill through the portal and NIL (to the extent they can). IU can recruit a HS player just like anyone else. Much to offer a young man as has always been the case but now they can get paid to do it. I get that pu is a bit of an outlier and doesn’t have the NIL resources but the majority of the big programs operate the same way.

You are wishing

Virtually all programs fill through the portal and NIL (to the extent they can). IU can recruit a HS player just like anyone else. Much to offer a young man as has always been the case but now they can get paid to do it. I get that pu is a bit of an outlier and doesn’t have the NIL resources but the majority of the big programs operate the same way.

You are wishing
Edey NiL deal is worth about 2 mil. Now they didn’t have to use NIL to land the in state kids like Smith, Loyer

Edey NiL deal is worth about 2 mil. Now they didn’t have to use NIL to land the in state kids like Smith, Loyer
Is that actual or projected value? There is a site that projects values that escapes me at the moment.

Also interested in how it was structured given visa status?

II should have taken Smith, he would be useful and he could have gotten paid.

Is that actual or projected value? There is a site that projects values that escapes me at the moment.

Also interested in how it was structured given visa status?

II should have taken Smith, he would be useful and he could have gotten paid.

Here is how they were able to get around the restriction. He technically get a million but they offered as a 2 year deal so he “could” get it again if he decides to return

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT