ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting board…

bsmitty08

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2004
With Boogie most likely headed to UK. What does the recruiting board look like? Haven’t heard many names in 24 class other than Fland and Queen. Harper has visited but I don’t see him at IU.
Queen-big
Who else as far as wing and guards are we looking at?

We will lose: X,Walker,MM, Ware(potentially) and most likely Leal won’t return.
So 4-5 scholarships available.

With Boogie most likely headed to UK. What does the recruiting board look like? Haven’t heard many names in 24 class other than Fland and Queen. Harper has visited but I don’t see him at IU.
Queen-big

I think we pretty much went all in on three guys and only got one. Woodson will likely have to fill 4-5 spots this spring. It is hte 2024 class that wasn't.

I think we pretty much went all in on three guys and only got one. Woodson will likely have to fill 4-5 spots this spring. It is hte 2024 class that wasn't.
We will soon know for sure on Boogie and playing the waiting game on Queen.

Seems not that long ago that the biggest debates here were:

1. Would the ‘24 class be the best ever at IU / compare it to the Cheaney class, etc

And

2. Will Boogie be flying private to MM and was that legal?

Oh well, not as nuts as the debate we had one off season comparing vertical jumps of our roster to an NBA all star team. 🤪

Oh trust me: he knows this (and who we are currently active with in '24). It's Bsmitty, the IU sky is always falling!

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta

1. Would the ‘24 class be the best ever at IU / compare it to the Cheaney class, etc

And

Oh well, not as nuts as the debate we had one off season comparing vertical jumps of our roster to an NBA all star team. 🤪
Did you see Queen play in the ESPN 2 game?

Oh trust me: he knows this (and who we are currently active with in '24). It's Bsmitty, the IU sky is always falling!
Pretty sure Bsmitty is a Notre Dame fan so his opinion doesn't really matter.

Dude just stop. I’m honestly asking if anyone has seen any other names.
I would say Queen is the only realistic get for the early signing period and he's by no means close to a guarantee. I suppose staff may try and find a diamond in the rough or start reshuffling through some uncommitted once offered prospects but anything at this point is probably just a reach. Obviously the staff has had some luck with last minute big name de-commits but that's an awful strategy to bank on.

Current roster development is going to be the staff's biggest recruiting need for the remainder of this year. Snag a starter level transfer or two in the portal this spring and you're probably alright for next year if guys like Gunn and Cupps show some promise.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Queen-big

Not sure why AL wouldn’t be back?
Queen-big

so Walker is in his final yr of eligibility, AL and Trey get the bonus year (they can play a fifth yr next season), and that is the final class that gets the extra year? Thx

13 open offers in the 2024 class. Not sure where we stand with any of them, but I assume we're not on several of their final lists.

Travis Perry is the only other PG in the class who holds an IU offer.

PG
Johnuel Fland, Jr.

Travis Perry

SG
Khani RoothsKhani Rooths

Dylan Harper

Derrion Reid

Naasir Cunningham

Gicarri Harris

V.J. Edgecombe

SF
Liam McNeeley (commit)

Bryson Tucker

PF
Dennis Scott IIIDennis Scott III

Derik Queen

Asa Newell

Patrick Ngongba II

Reactions: .Gerdis
13 open offers in the 2024 class. Not sure where we stand with any of them, but I assume we're not on several of their final lists.

Travis Perry is the only other PG in the class who holds an IU offer.

PG
Johnuel Fland, Jr.

Travis Perry

SG
Khani RoothsKhani Rooths

Dylan Harper

Derrion Reid

Naasir Cunningham

Gicarri Harris

V.J. Edgecombe

SF
Liam McNeeley (commit)

Bryson Tucker

PF
Dennis Scott IIIDennis Scott III

Derik Queen

Asa Newell

Patrick Ngongba II
where are we with Asa Newell?

Not sure why AL wouldn’t be back?

so Walker is in his final yr of eligibility, AL and Trey get the bonus year (they can play a fifth yr next season), and that is the final class that gets the extra year? Thx
He doesn’t get minutes. So if he is graduated and just likes college life at Iu, he may stick around

Seems like he enjoys himself, and he’s getting paid to do it. I’m sure many people on this board would love to trade places with him.
True but also Woody doesn’t have to guarantee that scholarship if he is graduated.

Did you see him in the espn 2 game? What would be your scouting report?
I asked because I wasn't all that impressed.

Good thing is that he looked huge. He's listed as 6'9" 220 lbs on 247. 6'10" 245 lbs on Rivals. He looked more like 6'10" 260 lbs.

To me, he looked like a somewhat (even) bigger version of Payton Sparks....his downsides being lack of quickness and explosiveness. Then I looked at the IU roster and they list Sparks as 6'10" 258 lbs!! I hope that listed height is correct but I have my doubts...

Anyway, the talent in that game was amazing. I thought Liam looked very skilled on O and ok on D. Not a great athlete to be rated #15 in the class, but a guy who looked like he could fit in just about anywhere.

Queen looked like one of the lesser talents of the starting 10 players, all of whom were top 20 or better talents; that is to say, definitely a good prospect but not the #12 or #15 prospect in the country as 247 & Rivals have him. Not saying he couldn't play for us as a freshman, but not a game changer for his first couple of years. To me, he looked like at least a 3 year college guy, which has its upside, obviously.

That was the first time I'd seen him. Afterwards, I watched a few of his highlights. On his highlights he showed
some ball handling/passing ability and a soft 10 foot jumper......He was not able to show those skills in the ESPN game as it was too fast a pace.

I doubt we get him anyway as it looks like Boogie, part II, with Maryland being the next UK. If we don't get him, it won't be as big a loss as was the PG.

Reactions: jkar
I asked because I wasn't all that impressed.

Good thing is that he looked huge. He's listed as 6'9" 220 lbs on 247. 6'10" 245 lbs on Rivals. He looked more like 6'10" 260 lbs.

To me, he looked like a somewhat (even) bigger version of Payton Sparks....his downsides being lack of quickness and explosiveness. Then I looked at the IU roster and they list Sparks as 6'10" 258 lbs!! I hope that listed height is correct but I have my doubts...

Anyway, the talent in that game was amazing. I thought Liam looked very skilled on O and ok on D. Not a great athlete to be rated #15 in the class, but a guy who looked like he could fit in just about anywhere.

Queen looked like one of the lesser talents of the starting 10 players, all of whom were top 20 or better talents; that is to say, definitely a good prospect but not the #12 or #15 prospect in the country as 247 & Rivals have him. Not saying he couldn't play for us as a freshman, but not a game changer for his first couple of years. To me, he looked like at least a 3 year college guy, which has its upside, obviously.

That was the first time I'd seen him. Afterwards, I watched a few of his highlights. On his highlights he showed
some ball handling/passing ability and a soft 10 foot jumper......He was not able to show those skills in the ESPN game as it was too fast a pace.

I doubt we get him anyway as it looks like Boogie, part II, with Maryland being the next UK. If we don't get him, it won't be as big a loss as was the PG.
A college weight room will do Queen wonders. He's highly skilled from what I've seen and a lot further along than TJD or Reneau at that stage of their careers. You can tell he's carrying a lot of baby fat and has the frame to put on a ton of muscle.

He looked good on espn playing with Liam ,and Queen . He would be a really good addition to IU .
Newell looked to be the superior athlete of the 3. Liam is a player, Queen is huge.

I saw some Monteverde stats from last year. McNeely was the leading scorer, Queen the 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder.

McNeely avg. 12.4, Queen 11.7, and Newll 6.6. Flagg, who looked so great in that game, averaged 9.8 ppg but he's one class behind.

Reactions: ulrey
A college weight room will do Queen wonders. He's highly skilled from what I've seen and a lot further along than TJD or Reneau at that stage of their careers. You can tell he's carrying a lot of baby fat and has the frame to put on a ton of muscle.

Agree he needs to get leaner and meaner. He wasn't able to do much against the other studs in the ESPN game as they were too quick for him. But his highlights show a soft touch and good ball handling ability.

We need a plan B as he's likely to go to Maryland.

And

I was aruging this spring that we needed to use the grant last year on a two guard but some said hold the spot for the 2024 class cause all the talk was this was going to be a monster class. Now we may go into the spring needing to fill five spots. Most do not seem optimiite on quenn but I guess we shall see.

I was aruging this spring that we needed to use the grant last year on a two guard but some said hold the spot for the 2024 class cause all the talk was this was going to be a monster class. Now we may go into the spring needing to fill five spots. Most do not seem optimiite on quenn but I guess we shall see.
Just-let-it-go.

Agree he needs to get leaner and meaner. He wasn't able to do much against the other studs in the ESPN game as they were too quick for him. But his highlights show a soft touch and good ball handling ability.

We need a plan B as he's likely to go to Maryland.
Depends on Ware. Even if Ware leaves you're still likely to have a formidable starting front court with Sparks and Reneau. Plan B would likely entail a back up 5.

The bigger miss is going to be Boogie. Regardless of how Cupps develops, you need another PG on the roster next year. That spot is likely going to be filled via the portal.

Depends on Ware. Even if Ware leaves you're still likely to have a formidable starting front court with Sparks and Reneau. Plan B would likely entail a back up 5.

The bigger miss is going to be Boogie. Regardless of how Cupps develops, you need another PG on the roster next year. That spot is likely going to be filled via the portal.
Agree Boogie is the big miss. Finding the right PG in the portal is tough....more so than the other positions.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Well, based on who all we were after (Ludlum, Knecht, the kid who wound up at KU) we weren't holding the spot for 24, we just swung and missed.

Also looks like he wasn’t going to settle for just anyone filling the scholarship. Unlike Crean.
College Basketball Dancing GIF by Indiana Hoosiers

He looked good on espn playing with Liam ,and Queen . He would be a really good addition to IU .
Next to Cam Boozer and the guard Rob Wright , Newell looked the best. Really smooth and athletic. I was really impressed with Rob Wright the smaller guard. He made an already talented Florida Eagles( Montverde) team run like a well oiled machine!

Reactions: edub72
Also looks like he wasn’t going to settle for just anyone filling the scholarship. Unlike Crean.
Maybe so but with Newton possibly out this season we are down to 11 players. Would have been nice to have a 5th year senior guard just in cast one of our other guards goes down.

Is Queen announcing tomorrow , and if so what time . He would be a good get for the program , even though we already seem to have plenty of bigs . Of course the way players move around who knows how many bigs we will have or need next year . It would be good to have him , and worry about numbers next year .

Like who? If there was a worthy guard woody would’ve went after him. He’s not going to just fill a scholarship.
Well, we still have Leal on the roster, and the two preferred walk ons are guards I believe. I'm confident in saying they'll contribute at least as much as Priller did, if that's the standard we're looking at for "depth".

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT