ADVERTISEMENT

Really some touchy folks at Gold and Black...

As far as National Titles, comparing PU Basketball and IU football is an accurate comparison. It just is the way it is.

I dislike Purdue as much as the next guy, but Purdue basketball has a much more realistic chance of winning a national title than IU football.

Don't kid yourselves.....1993-1994 Purdue with Glenn Robinson, Cuonzo Martin, Matt Waddell & 2009-2010 Purdue with Johnson / Moore / Hummell / Kramer were national title caliber teams.

And the best Purdue team I ever personally witnessed, 1987-1988 with Lewis, McCants, Stephens, Mitchell, Sheffler, etc, certainly was national title caliber.

With the right coach, maybe. Especially these days, where the quality of play we see at the college level is not very high. I don't see Matt Painter as that guy, though.

I dislike Purdue as much as the next guy, but Purdue basketball has a much more realistic chance of winning a national title than IU football.

Don't kid yourselves.....1993-1994 Purdue with Glenn Robinson, Cuonzo Martin, Matt Waddell & 2009-2010 Purdue with Johnson / Moore / Hummell / Kramer were national title caliber teams.

And the best Purdue team I ever personally witnessed, 1987-1988 with Lewis, McCants, Stephens, Mitchell, Sheffler, etc, certainly was national title caliber.

With the right coach, maybe. Especially these days, where the quality of play we see at the college level is not very high. I don't see Matt Painter as that guy, though.
Well no sh#@, it takes more than a few studs to win a national title in football. Of course Purdue could win one in basketball but if they did it would be a fluke year. They'll never be consistently really good.

Morbid curiosity.

Honestly I always go to rivals sites to see what they say about our new hires to avoid me getting the "Crimson Colored Glasses" view.

Got sucked into a thread with Ducati...I'm sorry, twindegrees, and pryght brought up to him that Bob Knight had endorsed Archie Miller last night in response to Ducati's usual nonsense about Miller being the fifth choice and not that great of a hire stuff. I responded to pryght that this should be interesting....boom, banned.

If I would have known I was going to get the ban hammer for something that innocuous I would have told them all what I really thought of their second rate program...oh well.

Puck Furdue, what can you do. :)
It's kind of like slowing down to look at a wreck. We all do it once in a while

Reactions: Hoogolf

Bingo.

Well no sh#@, it takes more than a few studs to win a national title in football. Of course Purdue could win one in basketball but if they did it would be a fluke year. They'll never be consistently really good.

Was this bizarrely aggressive response supposed to refute anything I said?

Reactions: RBB89

I agree with you here. I don't think Painter is that guy either.

Was this bizarrely aggressive response supposed to refute anything I said?
You're reading it wrong. Take out the anger and think of it like it was coming from a friend. I mean what you said is obvious. Of course it's easier to go from mediocre in basketball and win a title than it is in football.

As far as National Titles, comparing PU Basketball and IU football is an accurate comparison. It just is the way it is.

Horrible comparison. IU football is one of the worst programs in D1 history while Purdue has had several teams that were good enough to win the title.

PU is never going to hire a top coach. Mitch won't pay him. Enjoy Matt.

We just hired Jeff Brohm and gave him a 6 year/$20 million deal. We have a total pool of $3.5 million per year for assistants which is on par with Nebraska. So saying Mitch won't pay is silly. Our new AD means business.

Horrible comparison. IU football is one of the worst programs in D1 history while Purdue has had several teams that were good enough to win the title.
My comparison was simply recruiting. Outside of that it's apples and oranges because it is much easier to win a title in basketball than football. Sorry Boiler but every school in the major conferences has had a few teams that were good enough and probably got close to winning a title.

My comparison was simply recruiting. Outside of that it's apples and oranges because it is much easier to win a title in basketball than football. Sorry Boiler but every school in the major conferences has had a few teams that were good enough and probably got close to winning a title.

Fair enough.

It is apparently a violation to respond to someone and say, "This should be interesting."

Never been banned from a message board in my life. I would say that the Purdue fans were some thin skinned pansies but I really did not say anything to be thin skinned about....lol.

They ban any IU poster participant on that site. Regardless of what you do or don't say.

They have serious emotional problems.

Sorry in my life there has never been a PU team that could win the National Title. And likely never will. No shame in that just only of a handful of teams every year than can win a title. Everyone else is just fooling themselves with false hope.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Prompted by this thread I held my nose and took a peek.

Good old bitter creepy Twindegrees is in hysterical meltdown mode again. He is shredding Archie (fifth person Glass offered) as a guy that will never succeed and no one wanted until IU came. He is personally shredding Archie's wife Morgan, equating her demeanor to that of Greg Marshall's wife. As of this posting he had not yet started in on their eleven year old daughter but given his track record, that will come.

Heller is not far behind.

It is amazing that Alan Karpick (twitter @alankarpick) bans IU posters but allows this creepy ugly crap to stand. This is the same guy that allowed AbuGabby and RoundFootball to post jokes about Hep after he died wishing "ass cancer" on the remaining IU FB coaching staff. Classy group.

Reactions: hometownfan
Prompted by this thread I held my nose and took a peek.

Good old bitter creepy Twindegrees is in hysterical meltdown mode again. He is shredding Archie (fifth person Glass offered) as a guy that will never succeed and no one wanted until IU came. He is personally shredding Archie's wife Morgan, equating her demeanor to that of Greg Marshall's wife. As of this posting he had not yet started in on their eleven year old daughter but given his track record, that will come.

Heller is not far behind.

It is amazing that Alan Karpick (twitter @alankarpick) bans IU posters but allows this creepy ugly crap to stand. This is the same guy that allowed AbuGabby and RoundFootball to post jokes about Hep after he died wishing "ass cancer" on the remaining IU FB coaching staff. Classy group.
They make BBN look like a good normal fan base. Talk about an inferiority complex

Sorry in my life there has never been a PU team that could win the National Title. And likely never will. No shame in that just only of a handful of teams every year than can win a title. Everyone else is just fooling themselves with false hope.

So you've only been alive for 6 or 7 years? The Purdue team before Hummel went down with an injury was EASILY a contender for the national title. We were poised to be number 1 in the country before he got hurt. We were number 3 and I believe both the number 1 and 2 teams lost soon after that. You're kidding yourself if you claim that team wasn't national title qualify.

So you've only been alive for 6 or 7 years? The Purdue team before Hummel went down with an injury was EASILY a contender for the national title. We were poised to be number 1 in the country before he got hurt. We were number 3 and I believe both the number 1 and 2 teams lost soon after that. You're kidding yourself if you claim that team wasn't national title qualify.
Contender for the Elite 8, maybe. The best of PU teams have a ceiling of the Elite 8, and Painter has a ceiling of the Sweet 16. Viva la Painter!

Can somebody explain the Ducati/Twin Degrees nut? Is he a looper that defected to the PU fanbase?

Reactions: mike41703
Contender for the Elite 8, maybe. The best of PU teams have a ceiling of the Elite 8, and Painter has a ceiling of the Sweet 16. Viva la Painter!

Can somebody explain the Ducati/Twin Degrees nut? Is he a looper that defected to the PU fanbase?

Is it that hard to admit we were a national title contender? I can admit the IU team that lost to Syracuse was a title contender and so was Purdue. But for once, I do agree with you that Painter's ceiling is the Sweet 16.

Twindegrees/Ducati was a non-grad knight fan that decided the way to teach IU a lesson for firing BK was to become a PU fan. He is as bitter as they come but the PU grads love his non stop hate for all things IU.

The ugly creepy things he posts about Crean, Joni Crean, Crean's son, now Archie and his family are just sick . The fact tha @alankarpick allows it is awful.

Sorry Hummel PU team was a contender only, good enough to be ranked, not good enough to win it all. Only PU team in my lifetime that was even close was Rick Mount''s team but it had zero chance of beating Lew Alcindor and UCLA. Teams can get to the Final Four and still have zero percent chance of realistically winning a title. Many times in the NCAA Tournament it's all about matchups rather than who is the better overall team.

Last edited:
Is it that hard to admit we were a national title contender? I can admit the IU team that lost to Syracuse was a title contender and so was Purdue. But for once, I do agree with you that Painter's ceiling is the Sweet 16.

The pieces were there but you simply cannot discount the Painter factor.

Sorry Hummel PU team was a contender only, good enough to be ranked, not good enough to win it all. Only PU team in my lifetime that was even close was Rick Mount''s team but it had zero chance of beating Lew Alcindor and UCLA. Teams can get to the Final Four and still have zero percent chance of realistically winning a title. Many times in the NCAA Tournament it's all about matchups rather than who is the better overall team.

So a team that was on its way to being ranked number 1 in the middle of conference season was simply a contender/good enough to be ranked? You don't actually believe that do you? No other team was playing as well as Purdue when Hummel went down. Take off your cream and crimson goggles. Purdue was a legit title contender that year.

Let me ask this: do you think the IU team that lost to Syracuse was a title contender or just good enough to be ranked?

Hummel got injured. So as a result in the NCAA Tournament PU lost. IU lost Scott May in 75 and Henderson in the 90s and lost also. Injuries are an unfortunate part of reality in contact sports. Injuries can remove any hope of winning a National Title when it happens to a key player.

Hummel got injured. So as a result in the NCAA Tournament PU lost. IU lost Scott May in 75 and Henderson in the 90s and lost also. Injuries are an unfortunate part of reality in contact sports. Injuries can remove any hope of winning a National Title when it happens to a key player.

I'm not arguing that. Purdue WAS a title contender pre-Hummel injury. Pretty sure Jimbo was arguing that even with Hummel, our ceiling was elite 8.

Twindegrees/Ducati was a non-grad knight fan that decided the way to teach IU a lesson for firing BK was to become a PU fan. He is as bitter as they come but the PU grads love his non stop hate for all things IU.

The ugly creepy things he posts about Crean, Joni Crean, Crean's son, now Archie and his family are just sick . The fact tha @alankarpick allows it is awful.
Must show the nature of Alan Karpick's character. He is probably just as hateful a person to allow someone to denigrate a family of a coach. Criticizing a coach is one thing , to pick on family members is scumbag character.

They ban any IU poster participant on that site. Regardless of what you do or don't say.

They have serious emotional problems.
You need a stealth handle. A name like "IU Crazy" tips off their mods.

That's correct PU will never win a Title in basketball. And IU will never win a title in football. That's just reality.
Hmmm...iu hadn't won a title in30 years. Some of the people on here weren't even born yet hold onto something they know nothing about. Iu used to be a top 5 program. History says it was but the last 30 years somewhat dispels that thought. You kept Crean for years getting to the SS. I don't know if Archie can do better.
Purdue doesn't have the history but is a good program. Isn't that what iu has become, a good program?
We both hold out for better but we don't know if that will happen.

Hmmm...iu hadn't won a title in30 years. Some of the people on here weren't even born yet hold onto something they know nothing about. Iu used to be a top 5 program. History says it was but the last 30 years somewhat dispels that thought. You kept Crean for years getting to the SS. I don't know if Archie can do better.
Purdue doesn't have the history but is a good program. Isn't that what iu has become, a good program?
How many 4 and 5 star recruits do you get? How many guys do you have playing in the NBA? When you fire a coach will your coaching search be talked about around the country like IU's was? IU may have been down for the last couple decades but never ever make the mistake of thinking IU and Purdue's basketball programs are equal. We finally have a good coach so let's see what he can do with the sleeping giant he just took control of. The fanbase expects great things and I'm sure CAM wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't think he could be the one to bring IU back.

Actually, it's fairly well accepted that Purdue is the free space on the sucking bingo card.

Even after not winning a title in 30 years, even after a 17 to 20 year down period, the AP still rates us as the #6 All time program. Are we elite right now? Nope. But however bad we are, based on our history, we are always closer to it than Purdue. Always.

Last edited:
Must show the nature of Alan Karpick's character. He is probably just as hateful a person to allow someone to denigrate a family of a coach. Criticizing a coach is one thing , to pick on family members is scumbag character.

Twindegrees is now claiming that Archie and Alford have exactly the same situation where they tried to cover for a rapist and interfere with an ongoing investigation. The guy is melting down.

Twindegrees is now claiming that Archie and Alford have exactly the same situation where they tried to cover for a rapist and interfere with an ongoing investigation. The guy is melting down.
I don't know this guy but I hate him. Is he banned from our board?

Reactions: PatKline
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT