ADVERTISEMENT

Ready to panic about OL

It is just the usual anxiety for IUFB as many don't believe it can be better. I trust this coaching staff to improve IUFB even if it takes two years to get it done.
Every new coaching hire comes with new hope. It keeps the wolves away for a while. For some college football programs it becomes a viscous circle of hopeful uncertainty followed by longer interludes of disparity. It’s time we break this cycle. It’s time we cry out loud, “Enough!”.

I don't understand the panic. While the OL did play much better after Bostad took over, we were still 3-9. Not saying it's their fault but they didn't help us win. The OL the last few years with all of these guys that are in the portal, has not been good. I'm fine with cleaning house and starting over. That's what we need, a new direction.
The panic is that we were 3-9 with what we had. What is on the horizon doesn’t look promising. So yes, anxiety exists because it could be worse than last year. Remember when CKW took over? We watched the quality of recruits increase but the HOLE we had dug for ourselves took many years to climb out of before we were competitive… not WINS… just being competitive. Worry? Yup…

That’s a really poor analogy. You’re talking individual statistics versus a unit on a football team that doesn’t perform as individuals but rather as a unit. Familiarity with one another matter a great deal in developing. I’m not suggesting we were going to have a dominant offense of line next year, but they would be a lot further along, particularly with consistency at their position, coach level, then what we’re going to be once the dust settles.
Analogy might be not be all that great agreed but I was just trying to convey the idea that there's a reason IU went 3-9 and 3-9 guys usually don't turn into 9-3 guys.

I like the guy and agree with you about ego and confidence and that it's a good thing as long as he can back it up on the field with This team...

What he's done in the past, while encouraging, doesn't mean a thing unless he can duplicate it in the Big Ten...

Blowing up the OL (it's pretty obvious that what he said to the team didn't resonate well with the OL) and not going the extra mile to rebuild it doesn't do anything to give me confidence that he isn't letting his ego get in the way of his common sense...

I like the guy and I love his confidence but a little Common Sense used judiciously could go a long way towards putting a winning team on the field next fall.
Ok “ doubting Thomas”, and I said , who knows if his winning ways can be translated to IU and Big Ten football, we’ll see. But I can tell you this, he has a plan, and it has been successful from Elon to Alabama, so I’m optimistic.
Not sure where you got your information as far as “blowing up” our OL, we weren’t keeping all of them anyway, your depiction is false and misleading. And I can assure you Bostad had a say in OL personnel decisions, how about we wait until , at least, after spring practice before we start the “ judging”.

Analogy might be not be all that great agreed but I was just trying to convey the idea that there's a reason IU went 3-9 and 3-9 guys usually don't turn into 9-3 guys.
But we could also go 1-11 next year or 2-10 or even 3-9 again because our OL (which would have been an area to be counted upon next year) is going to have a difficult tie being at the level they were this year with all new faces. 3-9 isn't the floor for this team. Well, it might be because of the schedule, but we could be worse next year with the same record.

Reactions: vesuvius13
But we could also go 1-11 next year or 2-10 or even 3-9 again because our OL (which would have been an area to be counted upon next year) is going to have a difficult tie being at the level they were this year with all new faces. 3-9 isn't the floor for this team. Well, it might be because of the schedule, but we could be worse next year with the same record.
Counted on for what ? Not being able to get a 1/2 yard on the goal line ?
I mean did we ever establish a running game ? Yes, they were improved over just plain awful ! And I repeat, they weren’t all going to come back anyway, we are best off to look forward , not back.

Benson is huge loss. Bedford not as much.

Carter Smith and Carpenter could be. We have a lot of holes and December 20th is coming.
Well thank goodness you are. I was going to worry, but since you’re in a panic you can cover for me.

Relax….remember the guys on our line (save Carter Smith) got their previous position coach fired and went 3-9 this season. Not that they aren’t capable, but this isn’t the ’88 Redskins we’re talking about.

Ok “ doubting Thomas”, and I said , who knows if his winning ways can be translated to IU and Big Ten football, we’ll see. But I can tell you this, he has a plan, and it has been successful from Elon to Alabama, so I’m optimistic.
Not sure where you got your information as far as “blowing up” our OL, we weren’t keeping all of them anyway, your depiction is false and misleading. And I can assure you Bostad had a say in OL personnel decisions, how about we wait until , at least, after spring practice before we start the “ judging”.
This isn't JC we're talking about here although I'm sure Cignetti appreciates the linkage...

Look, I'm impressed with our new Head Coach and thought he was an excellent hire. I'm just hoping he doesn't prove me wrong...

I'd like to see he and Bostad make some sort of concerted effort to upgrade our OL if they're okay with what we had heading elsewhere... If we've got better coming in let's hear about them...

Counted on for what ? Not being able to get a 1/2 yard on the goal line ?
I mean did we ever establish a running game ? Yes, they were improved over just plain awful ! And I repeat, they weren’t all going to come back anyway, we are best off to look forward , not back.
110 ypg under Bell (that includes 214 vs. ISU) and 128 ypg under Carey. 167 ypg in our last 3 games when we got Henderson back somewhere in there.

I predict we'll wish we had most of those guys back next season.

This isn't JC we're talking about here although I'm sure Cignetti appreciates the linkage...

Look, I'm impressed with our new Head Coach and thought he was an excellent hire. I'm just hoping he doesn't prove me wrong...

I'd like to see he and Bostad make some sort of concerted effort to upgrade our OL if they're okay with what we had heading elsewhere... If we've got better coming in let's hear about them...
So why all the hand wringing after a week on the job ? Impatient much ?Good lord, give them a minute !

Given where Smith is visiting, I'm banking on him being gonzo with the rest of them.
Woohoo! Glad to be wrong here. Also shocked.

Of course we were 3-9 last year so I guess there’s nothing to be happy about. If he were worth a poop we’d have been better.

Did I get that narrative right? Or is it all just going to be hindsight tune changing?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Woohoo! Glad to be wrong here. Also shocked.

Of course we were 3-9 last year so I guess there’s nothing to be happy about. If he were worth a poop we’d have been better.

Did I get that narrative right? Or is it all just going to be hindsight tune changing?
EVERYONE wanted Carter Smith back, far different than “oh my god we’re losing the whole line !” I said we would have lost some guys anyway…….again , patience !
And I think I was right in telling you we would be fine, just give the staff time

Since they were only given a "minute" to bring back Smith (and they came through in impressive fashion); I'm willing too be magnanimously generous and give them two or three days to find a way to bring Carpenter (C) back... 😎

So why all the hand wringing after a week on the job ? Impatient much ?Good lord, give them a minute !

The hole a brand new staff starts in must be incredible to get out of. All of a sudden you're competing with other teams that have had so much more time to develop relationships, recruiting power 5 players, not to mention the portal and to overcome those must take 80 hours week of work.

Since they were only given a "minute" to bring back Smith (and they came through in impressive fashion); I'm willing too be magnanimously generous and give them two or three days to find a way to bring Carpenter (C) back... 😎
Pretty sure Carpenter isn’t coming back, so I wouldn’t hold your breath. But since they threw you a bone tonight, maybe you can give them a few days to assemble a line before you jump overboard

Pretty sure Carpenter isn’t coming back, so I wouldn’t hold your breath. But since they threw you a bone tonight, maybe you can give them a few days to assemble a line before you jump overboard
I'm not going anywhere and never even considered it...(put too much into it over the past 60+ years)..., but I would like to see more visitors from the Portal on both sides of the line..., and sooner than later...

Smith was The Big Get however. If he stays healthy he's the type of player you can utilize as the cornerstone of a Great Offensive Line...

I'm not going anywhere and never even considered it...(put too much into it over the past 60+ years)..., but I would like to see more visitors from the Portal on both sides of the line..., and sooner than later...

Smith was The Big Get however. If he stays healthy he's the type of player you can utilize as the cornerstone of a Great Offensive Line...
I know you aren’t jumping ship, but you also need to be realistic , just please be patient ! As you see tonight, things are moving, you just may not know until it happens

I'm HIGH on HC Cignetti but like you I'm trusting that BB has his fingerprints all over whatever has been staff initiated about the OL. Nothing else is = 2+2. Effort is certainly being made to bring able talent to work in the trenches. Some will be landed and some will spit the hook. But the direction to correct from 3-9 and 3-27 is rightfully visioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT