ADVERTISEMENT

Rank/Opinions on shows

I thought Dexter was better than Breaking Bad.

No way. The writing on Dexter was atrocious. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not talking about the general concept. I can accept far out scenarios if they're well written. I'm talking the way they continually forced square pegs into round holes and manipulated plot elements in unbelievable ways to move the story along. The first couple of seasons were entertaining but after that it was the worst sort of eye-rolling cheap writing that one can imagine.

Reactions: hoosierdug
It takes a while to get into. As doug said, they are setting the table for something bigger in the first season. The biggest mistake they make is starting out Season 2 with a whole new set of characters and story that takes a minute to get into. I think a lot of females have trouble relating to the show, too.
My wife didn't like it at all. Then again, she likes Hallmark Christmas movies soooooooooo. vbg

No way. The writing on Dexter was atrocious. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not talking about the general concept. I can accept far out scenarios if they're well written. I'm talking the way they continually forced square pegs into round holes and manipulated plot elements in unbelievable ways to move the story along. The first couple of seasons were entertaining but after that it was the worst sort of eye-rolling cheap writing that one can imagine.

I used to value your opinion...

Awesome stuff guys thank you!

I'm going to start with Band of Brothers since I can get through that quickly (even though David Schwimmer has always bugged me as an actor, he almost ruined the People vs OJ for me) then go to House of Cards (which wasn't on my original list but I'm in the mood for a good poly thriller to get me ready for GOT) and then...I'm thinking Battlestar Gallactica now.

I know I need to watch the Soprano's and Breaking Bad but I keep avoiding them for some reason.

Great suggestions like Dexter, Deadwood, Fargo etc.

Reactions: MillerTime
We watched that too (it's 1st incarnation, not the CBS version). When they did the whole thing with his sister and the other serial killer and ice cream truck. Yeah. It's as dumb as it sounds when I just wrote it. Fonzie + shark moment.
giphy.gif

I'm going to start with Band of Brothers since I can get through that quickly (even though David Schwimmer has always bugged me as an actor, he almost ruined the People vs OJ for me) then go to House of Cards (which wasn't on my original list but I'm in the mood for a good poly thriller to get me ready for GOT) and then...I'm thinking Battlestar Gallactica now.

I know I need to watch the Soprano's and Breaking Bad but I keep avoiding them for some reason.

If you don't like David Schwimmer you will LOVE him in this. Guaranteed.

did people not like mad men? I thought it was hit or miss. Liked the earlier seasons a lot more.

Don't disagree with a lot of the shows listed. My wife does not like House of Cards because she finds every character to be complete assholes.

I agree, Breaking Bad made me feel like this too:

board.jpg

I'm not as big on Breaking Bad, either. The last season was good and sort of redeemed it for me. The first 4 were pretty boring despite some solid acting by the lead guy.

I have some time to binge watch the next couple of weeks and want some opinions. Most of these have been brought up on the AOTF before. GOT is my favorite show today so that will be the base.

I've never seen one episode of the following (except GOT):

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

Any other suggestions? Thanks kids.
For me, it would go:
Band of Brothers
The Wire - Omar Little (played by Michael K Williams who also plays Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire) is probably my favorite character in any tv, movie, etc ever.
The Sopranos (although there's a lot of filler episodes)
Boardwalk Empire - same as Sopranos as far as filler, but differentiated itself from any other show ever by killing off main characters sometimes with no notice. It brought an edge to watching it because anybody could go at any moment.

David Schwimmer
He has little to do with the series, and what he has to do will fit your opinion of him. That show isn't as well written or acted as many of the others, but the details, uniforms, equipment etc are exceptionally well done.

fwiw - IMNSHO the best show on your list is BSG. And, it's not even close. I really don't get the love for Breaking Bad, at all. I don't watch TV much but when I do, it has to be something decent, Breaking Bad wasn't. I guess sensationalizing scumbags just isn't my thing.

I used to value your opinion...

Ha ha.

Look. I recall specifically when I decided that it had turned. So Dexter is the tech at a scene and notices that the corpse has a chipped tooth. He recalls that 20 years ago there was a case with a chipped tooth in some other city. So it MUST BE THE SAME KILLER. Of course. And since that killer must be old by now I'll be he's in a retirement home. Look over there, a retirement home. I'll bet he lives there. AND YES HE DOES! Amazing. Dexter solves a 20 year old case in 5 minutes because a corpse in the street had a chipped tooth.

Dumb. Stupid. Lazy writing.

Ha ha.

Look. I recall specifically when I decided that it had turned. So Dexter is the tech at a scene and notices that the corpse has a chipped tooth. He recalls that 20 years ago there was a case with a chipped tooth in some other city. So it MUST BE THE SAME KILLER. Of course. And since that killer must be old by now I'll be he's in a retirement home. Look over there, a retirement home. I'll bet he lives there. AND YES HE DOES! Amazing. Dexter solves a 20 year old case in 5 minutes because a corpse in the street had a chipped tooth.

Dumb. Stupid. Lazy writing.
Dexter was fun to watch at first because the protagonist was a serial killer, and it made you feel a little naughty to root for him.

But it lost me very early on. Probably when Doakes was locked in the shed in the Everglades. You're right, very lazy writing.

Jennifer Carpenter is the real deal, though. I'd like to see her in a role that actually demands something more of her than cliches. I bet she'd nail it.

Dexter was fun to watch at first because the protagonist was a serial killer, and it made you feel a little naughty to root for him.

But it lost me very early on. Probably when Doakes was locked in the shed in the Everglades. You're right, very lazy writing.

Jennifer Carpenter is the real deal, though. I'd like to see her in a role that actually demands something more of her than cliches. I bet she'd nail it.

I admit that we watched Dexter all the way to the end. I'm fully capable of watching badly done shows. Heck, we watched Sons of Anarchy straight through.

zsRcFMM.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was better.

I never rooted for him. I found him to be completely unbelievable. Serial Killers are psychopaths. They have to have the insane switch on to do what they do. Hannibal Lecter as a helpful serial killer was believable. Dexter not so much. Too much whitewash, too clean on the edges, not weird enough, not gritty enough. Disney villains have more grit.

Threadjack to movies..

I watched Hateful Eight last night. Someone asked what I thought of it. "It's Tarantino, and I've only seen it once". They shook their head knowingly. Does everyone feel like that?

I've never liked a Tarantino movie on first viewing. Except Kill Bill 2 but that doesn't really count. Some I never like. Reservoir Dogs. Some I just love but they grew on me after multiple viewings Kill Bill, Django, Pulp. But the rest (IB, HE) are still in the no opinion zone. I think befuddled is the best term to describe what I feel after watching one of his films the first time.

I never rooted for him. I found him to be completely unbelievable. Serial Killers are psychopaths. They have to have the insane switch on to do what they do. Hannibal Lecter as a helpful serial killer was believable. Dexter not so much. Too much whitewash, too clean on the edges, not weird enough, not gritty enough. Disney villains have more grit.

Threadjack to movies..

I watched Hateful Eight last night. Someone asked what I thought of it. "It's Tarantino, and I've only seen it once". They shook their head knowingly. Does everyone feel like that?

I've never liked a Tarantino movie on first viewing. Except Kill Bill 2 but that doesn't really count. Some I never like. Reservoir Dogs. Some I just love but they grew on me after multiple viewings Kill Bill, Django, Pulp. But the rest (IB, HE) are still in the no opinion zone. I think befuddled is the best term to describe what I feel after watching one of his films the first time.
Hannibal Lecter is an awesome character.

I'm surprised you didn't like Django or Inglorious Bastards first time you saw them. I thought those two were great and I liked the Kill Bill movies. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs i thought were boring

Tommy listen to me. (and Goat) Ignore the rest of the dumb fks - they don't know what they're talking about. lol

You're avoiding BB and Sopranos because the topic matter and type of show is either cliche' or used up or tired.

Start with BoB, (I can't believe you've never seen it) but then try BSG, (the Sci Fi miniseries not the 80's TV show) for 5 or more episodes. If you don't like it, I'll buy your next set of 8 gauge guitar strings, and as an extra bonus, will refrain from calling your fingers effeminate in this post. vbg

GoT deals with the grey of good and evil through different characters eyes exceptionally well. That overview and the characters, are the gist of GoT.

BSG does it as well, and with better acting and writing. I would say GoT has more interesting characters overall and maybe a better overall plot. but the writing and acting are superior in BSG. It's a very underrated show, and one that most people have never watched.

I was completely against watching it because I thought it would be a b grade Sci Fi show much like the original version. It's not. It's a very well written character driven drama. It took me 3 episodes and I binge watched the whole series in a week.

BSG does it as well, and with better acting and writing. I would say GoT has more interesting characters overall and maybe a better overall plot. but the writing and acting are superior in BSG. It's a very underrated show, and one that most people have never watched.

I was completely against watching it because I thought it would be a b grade Sci Fi show much like the original version. It's not. It's a very well written character driven drama. It took me 3 episodes and I binge watched the whole series in a week.

I'm not sure if it's clear which has the better writing, but I'll give a special nod to BSG for originality, whereas most of the best writing on GoT was lifted straight from the books. But there was definitely some heavyweight acting on BSG. I like sci-fi, so I probably would have watched it eventually, anyway, but when I saw who was cast, I knew I had to give it a chance. And they did give great performances, up and down the cast.

It's especially notable because it was produced by SyFy. They'll probably never do anything even remotely close to it again. They do usually prefer to just crap out low-grade nonsense.

I thought Dexter was better than Breaking Bad.

You didn't think Dexter got terribly redundant? I too enjoyed the first four or five seasons but then there was a big drop off to me. I stopped watching.

Hannibal Lecter is an awesome character.

I'm surprised you didn't like Django or Inglorious Bastards first time you saw them. I thought those two were great and I liked the Kill Bill movies. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs i thought were boring
Tarantino hits me with so much information in his films that I get overwhelmed. Not only is there witty dialogue, but the story, a back story, a hidden story, a twist, and then the countless references to other films in every way possible (dialogue, scene, cinematography etc)

Every Tarantino film is a lesson in the history of filming making.

Django took me a few viewings. I'm still not sure I like or dislike Inglourius Basterds yet .. Hateful Eight was 3 fking hours long...

You didn't think Dexter got terribly redundant? I too enjoyed the first four or five seasons but then there was a big drop off to me. I stopped watching.

I admit the last couple seasons weren't as good as the beginning but I felt the same way about a couple of the middle seasons of BB.

I also haven't watched many of the ones listed in this thread. No time.

Threadjack to movies..

I have liked every Tarantino movie, and I largely agree with you if we say that they're BETTER the 2nd (or even 3rd time).

But...

While I liked 'The Hateful 8', it ranked near the bottom of his movies for me, and all that means is I still really liked it, just not as much.

'Pulp Fiction' is my favorite, followed by the 'Kill Bills" and 'Inglorious Basterds' (tie).

Speaking of Omar. Phrases like Do Tell, Omar Listening are just great. Below is a list of others.

1. 01“Come at the king, you best not miss.”
  2. 02" Money don't have no owners, only spenders"
  3. 03"The game's out there and it's play or get played"
  4. 04"I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?"
  5. 05"I'ma work em...Sweet Jesus, I'ma work em!"
  6. 06"Boy, you got me confused with someone who repeats himself.”
  7. 07"Money a little late today."
  8. 08"C'mon now don't make me huff 'n puff!"
  9. 09"I keeps one in the chamber in case you ponderin"
  10. 10"All in the game yo, all in the game"

Reactions: hoosierdug and C-$
Speaking of Omar. Phrases like Do Tell, Omar Listening are just great. Below is a list of others.

4. 04"I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?"
Haha these are great. Omar is a badass. Frank underwood always has some good quotes

"Omar comin', yo!!!"

1. The Wire by a long shot
2. Sopranos
3. Breaking Bad
I've never seen a show with as much tension as the Wire. Incredible acting, and they aren't afraid to kill you.

... and a boring movie. Good director, pays homage, visually great, etc.... but an uninteresting narrative after a while. Pulp Fiction is the only rewatchable one for me.

I have some time to binge watch the next couple of weeks and want some opinions. Most of these have been brought up on the AOTF before. GOT is my favorite show today so that will be the base.

I've never seen one episode of the following (except GOT):

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

Any other suggestions? Thanks kids.
House of Cards
And for something lighter, raunchy, and fun....House of Lies on Showtime

1. The Wire by a long shot
2. Sopranos
3. Breaking Bad
I've never seen a show with as much tension as the Wire. Incredible acting, and they aren't afraid to kill you.

The Wire is being mentioned...a lot. I'm putting that after BoB, House of Cards and Battlestar.

Soprano's and Breaking Bad are bumped down another notch now.

Tommy listen to me. (and Goat) Ignore the rest of the dumb fks - they don't know what they're talking about. lol

You're avoiding BB and Sopranos because the topic matter and type of show is either cliche' or used up or tired.

Start with BoB, (I can't believe you've never seen it) but then try BSG, (the Sci Fi miniseries not the 80's TV show) for 5 or more episodes. If you don't like it, I'll buy your next set of 8 gauge guitar strings, and as an extra bonus, will refrain from calling your fingers effeminate in this post. vbg

GoT deals with the grey of good and evil through different characters eyes exceptionally well. That overview and the characters, are the gist of GoT.

The way you and Goat talk about BSG makes me want to dive in. I'm a big Star Trek fan because to me it wasn't about space...it was about great philosophical dilemmas that test your moral compass and makes you view things from multiple points of view...with Spock being the unemotional voice of reason to whatever emotional reaction it's getting out of you.

I never gave it a chance because I so disliked the TV series from the early 80's. I thought 'V' was a better SyFy show. That series reminded me of Disney's 'The Black Hole'. I was also 10 years old so I probably didn't understand it fully.

The reason why I'm such a GOT freak is because IMO it's the most efficient and intelligently written show I've ever encountered. That might say more about myself that anything but I'm so used to things being pretty simple and linear. That's a bad guy, that's the good guy...that's the tension created by the bad guy that the good guy much overcome. Even star wars was pretty simple. When Vader walked on the screen you knew...yeah that's the bad guy.

Thrones to me is such an amazing story because one what you think is obviously bad is sometimes good and what is obviously good is sometimes bad...just like real life. Also there is very little wasted dialogue, music or set piece. It all is important to the story. Even conversations from 5 years ago are just now coming back to be as important to the story as they were way back then. Lastly it has done an exceptional job dropping clues but not making it so obvious at the time...but in retrospect it's plain as day. Things like in Season 1 when Jon Snow yells at Tyrion 'what do you know about being a bastard'. That's an extremely powerful line today, or I strongly believe will be once Tyrion's origin story is more revealed. Or when Benjen Stark is trying to convince Jon not to join the Night's Watch in season one. He says 'family might not mean much to you now but it might in the future' then he pauses and says 'you have no idea what you would be giving up'. At the time it seems like he's just talking about the Night Watch lifestyle with no pu$$y to a teenager...now people are convinced that Benjen is the only Stark Ned told his little secret too'. It's why Benjen joined the NW and took a strong liking to Jon. Incredible and so obvious when you look back at the clues they gave (I mean I think every main character has made a comment about how honorable Ned Stark is....and only two male characters have been described as 'pretty'...Rhaegar and Jon (both multiple times by different characters). I believe that's on purpose by the writers. Awesome.

If you would have told me to watch the first 4 episodes of thrones I would have said 'Got it, Starks are good and the Lanisters are bad. This is probably a story of the poor but honorable Starks eventually beating the rich and spoiled Lanisters.' Then if you would have said 'someone becomes the jesus character and brings balance to the force...who is it?' I would have guessed probably 10 characters before I got to Jon...and it's still not for certain that Jon is the hero of the story.

So yeah, I'm looking to get lost in a series that can make me think and emotionally react the way GOT's does which is why I'm excited for BSG now. Thank you!

Oh and the Shwimmer deal is just his voice. He's a fine actor but his voice always sounds like he's about to cry. Good for comedies but bugs the s$%t out of me for dramas.

The way you and Goat talk about BSG makes me want to dive in. I'm a big Star Trek fan because to me it wasn't about space...it was about great philosophical dilemmas that test your moral compass and makes you view things from multiple points of view...with Spock being the unemotional voice of reason to whatever emotional reaction it's getting out of you.

I never gave it a chance because I so disliked the TV series from the early 80's. I thought 'V' was a better SyFy show. That series reminded me of Disney's 'The Black Hole'. I was also 10 years old so I probably didn't understand it fully.

The reason why I'm such a GOT freak is because IMO it's the most efficient and intelligently written show I've ever encountered. That might say more about myself that anything but I'm so used to things being pretty simple and linear. That's a bad guy, that's the good guy...that's the tension created by the bad guy that the good guy much overcome. Even star wars was pretty simple. When Vader walked on the screen you knew...yeah that's the bad guy.

Thrones to me is such an amazing story because one what you think is obviously bad is sometimes good and what is obviously good is sometimes bad...just like real life. Also there is very little wasted dialogue, music or set piece. It all is important to the story. Even conversations from 5 years ago are just now coming back to be as important to the story as they were way back then. Lastly it has done an exceptional job dropping clues but not making it so obvious at the time...but in retrospect it's plain as day. Things like in Season 1 when Jon Snow yells at Tyrion 'what do you know about being a bastard'. That's an extremely powerful line today, or I strongly believe will be once Tyrion's origin story is more revealed. Or when Benjen Stark is trying to convince Jon not to join the Night's Watch in season one. He says 'family might not mean much to you now but it might in the future' then he pauses and says 'you have no idea what you would be giving up'. At the time it seems like he's just talking about the Night Watch lifestyle with no pu$$y to a teenager...now people are convinced that Benjen is the only Stark Ned told his little secret too'. It's why Benjen joined the NW and took a strong liking to Jon. Incredible and so obvious when you look back at the clues they gave (I mean I think every main character has made a comment about how honorable Ned Stark is....and only two male characters have been described as 'pretty'...Rhaegar and Jon (both multiple times by different characters). I believe that's on purpose by the writers. Awesome.

If you would have told me to watch the first 4 episodes of thrones I would have said 'Got it, Starks are good and the Lanisters are bad. This is probably a story of the poor but honorable Starks eventually beating the rich and spoiled Lanisters.' Then if you would have said 'someone becomes the jesus character and brings balance to the force...who is it?' I would have guessed probably 10 characters before I got to Jon...and it's still not for certain that Jon is the hero of the story.

So yeah, I'm looking to get lost in a series that can make me think and emotionally react the way GOT's does which is why I'm excited for BSG now. Thank you!

Oh and the Shwimmer deal is just his voice. He's a fine actor but his voice always sounds like he's about to cry. Good for comedies but bugs the s$%t out of me for dramas.

I have no doubt you'll like it.

House of Cards
And for something lighter, raunchy, and fun....House of Lies on Showtime
A few more that are lighter and fun that I haven't seen mentioned:

Arrested Development - Must watch if you like comedies. The character writing is brilliant.

Catastrophe - Rob Delaney's show on Amazon. Really original take on a modern relationship. Funny.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season 2 available on Netflix this weekend I think.

Master of None - Aziz' show on Netflix surprised me, not a huge fan of him but the show is great.

Alpha House - Political parody starring John Goodman on Amazon. A sillier Veep. Fun.

Tarantino hits me with so much information in his films that I get overwhelmed. Not only is there witty dialogue, but the story, a back story, a hidden story, a twist, and then the countless references to other films in every way possible (dialogue, scene, cinematography etc)

Django took me a few viewings. I'm still not sure I like or dislike Inglourius Basterds yet .. Hateful Eight was 3 fking hours long...
Surprised you don't like Res Dogs. I like the dialogue and low budget feel of that one. It's not my favorite QT movie but I always enjoy it when it happens to be on.

Is it that you don't like the film or that it just ranks as the QT movie you enjoy least?

Inglorious Bastards was probably my favorite Tarantino movie (I still haven't seen Hateful 8). That said, there has never been one I disliked. Pulp Fiction never gets old, and I still love watching Reservoir Dogs, but IB is still the best for me. Kill Bill (s) are one of my least fav.

My wife hates all of them as she hates gratuitous violence, but whatever.....

Reactions: mike41703
It's been a while since I tried it so I don't remember specifically anything that I didn't like about it, though there may have been. But either way, it didn't grab me. IIRC, it bored me. I probably should have given it a few episodes. Again, IIRC, I didn't even finish the episode I was watching but flipped to something else.
The Wire is like a novel. Each season you have to give it 3/4 episodes to lay the framework. After that, I'd have a hard time stopping and would binge 6/7 eps in a row.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
A show that I didn't see mentioned (I admit to skipping the second page of replies) is Gotham. If it continues on its resent trajectory, it will be a good binge watch show. I'm a few episodes behind this season though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT