ADVERTISEMENT

Rank/Opinions on shows

TommyCracker

Hall of Famer
Mar 18, 2004
I have some time to binge watch the next couple of weeks and want some opinions. Most of these have been brought up on the AOTF before. GOT is my favorite show today so that will be the base.

I've never seen one episode of the following (except GOT):

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

Any other suggestions? Thanks kids.

I have some time to binge watch the next couple of weeks and want some opinions. Most of these have been brought up on the AOTF before. GOT is my favorite show today so that will be the base.

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

Just the ones you listed...

1. BoB
2. GoT
3. The Sopranos
4. The Wire (most here will rank it higher)
5. Mad Men

A few others to consider:

Friday Night Lights
Rescue Me
Californication
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Modern Family

Reactions: hoosierdug

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

I agree with C$ for the most part.

BOB would be #1 because it is 10 episodes and you're finished. It's incredible.

I haven't seen GOT.

My next 2 would be :

2 - Sopranos
3 - Breaking Bad

I'm watching The Wire now and haven't found it incredible like most. I've only seen the first season so far though.

Reactions: twenty02
The Wire is the best show in terms of quality. Breaking Bad is #2 but not going to argue if someone likes Soprano's, Americans, etc. more.

Depends what you like. A sobering look at the ignored classes of Baltimore and how self-interest makes the status quo inescapable (The Wire)? Probably the most tension in TV history (season 5 of Breaking Bad)?

Not like you're going to go wrong w/ Americans, GoT, Soprano's, etc. either.

I got through a few seasons of Sopranos then it started getting boring to me, but it was fun for a while. Didn't get past two episodes of The Wire and don't see what the fuss is. Maybe I should have given it more time.

Better Call Saul is my favorite show going right now.

If you like a Western genre, Hell On Wheels on Netflix is good.

Others already mentioned that I like a lot, no particular order:

Californication
The Americans
House Of Cards
Friday Night Lights
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Blacklist. But mostly because I like anything James Spader does.

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

Dexter.

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

Breaking Bad is bad ass. Highly recommend.
Band of Bros is solid.
Hell on Wheels
Californication - i am almost to season 3. pretty good with lots of solid bewbage.

I am a big fan of LOST. I know a lot out there don't like it for one reason or another, but I thought it was very good.

Heard good things about Black List but have never watched it.

Don't waste your time with Weeds. Good first couple of seasons then just gets dumb.

The Wire, BOB, and The Sopranos... in that order. Generation Kill followed the book pretty close and wasn't bad. Man in the High Castle was ok for a newer show. Same with Narcos. Neither were great, imo.

I'm watching Californication now and find it sort of funny. Same with 30 Rock. Curbed and East Bound and Down are also pretty light and funny (some Curbed Seasons are really good). Comedians in Cars getting coffee is not bad.

Most of Antbony Bourdain's stuff is on one service or another, including Youtube. Almost none of News Radio or the Larry Sanders show is available.

The Wire, BOB, and The Sopranos... in that order. Generation Kill followed the book pretty close and wasn't bad. Man in the High Castle was ok for a newer show. Same with Narcos. Neither were great, imo.

I'm watching Californication now and find it sort of funny. Same with 30 Rock. Curbed and East Bound and Down are also pretty light and funny (some Curbed Seasons are really good). Comedians in Cars getting coffee is not bad.

Most of Antbony Bourdain's stuff is on one service or another, including Youtube. Almost none of News Radio or the Larry Sanders show is available.

Yeah, Bourdain is awesome. Been watching his stuff for years.

I would throw Dexter in there with these shows. You'll get all the diehards ranking the seasons calling some of them crap and some of them great. I never got that sense. I thought they were all excellent... EXCEPT the last season. Don't watch it, just don't.

Reactions: mike41703
Out of curiosity for those who don't like or wouldn't suggest The Wire I'd like to know why not? To me it's top 3 of all time and not really close....but maybe I should watch a few of the other shows listed.

Writing for 7 or so different story lines while keeping each character interesting? All levels of crime, corruption, politics, police departments,etc....competing interests getting outplayed by each other. I never get bored because to me each show/season is like a game of chess. Moves/alternate moves,etc..

Sorry to get thread sideways...just was curious.

Reactions: C-$
The Wire
Sopranos
GoT

next level:
Homeland
Ray Donavan
House of Cards

Watched about 2 1/2 seasons of Breaking Bad and quit. Got board, and couldn't stand the lead character.
Want to watch Band of Brothers. Never heard anything bad with it.

Also, try Deadwood, if you like westerns. Thought it had great characters.

I have heard you have to watch the Non-CBS version though.....I've not watched it yet

You want the Showtime version.

It's an entertaining show, but nowhere near as quality as others mentioned.

Sopranos
Breaking Bad

Start there, then go to the others. I also really like Homeland. I've been watching Billions, it's pretty decent. But brand new, so you aren't going to be binge watching that many episodes.

I agree with C$ for the most part.

BOB would be #1 because it is 10 episodes and you're finished. It's incredible.

I haven't seen GOT.

My next 2 would be :

2 - Sopranos
3 - Breaking Bad

I'm watching The Wire now and haven't found it incredible like most. I've only seen the first season so far though.
The 1st season is just setting the table. The next 3 are, IMHO, as good as it gets for tv.

Reactions: FL33
Out of curiosity for those who don't like or wouldn't suggest The Wire I'd like to know why not? To me it's top 3 of all time and not really close....but maybe I should watch a few of the other shows listed.

Writing for 7 or so different story lines while keeping each character interesting? All levels of crime, corruption, politics, police departments,etc....competing interests getting outplayed by each other. I never get bored because to me each show/season is like a game of chess. Moves/alternate moves,etc..

It's been a while since I tried it so I don't remember specifically anything that I didn't like about it, though there may have been. But either way, it didn't grab me. IIRC, it bored me. I probably should have given it a few episodes. Again, IIRC, I didn't even finish the episode I was watching but flipped to something else.

The Wire
Sopranos
GoT

next level:
Homeland
Ray Donavan
House of Cards

Watched about 2 1/2 seasons of Breaking Bad and quit. Got board, and couldn't stand the lead character.

What did you do with the board?

Deadwood was amazing, but they just ended it. No closure at all. There have been rumors of a movie possibly, but it's been so long. Probably never happens.

I think the 1st season of Homeland might be the greatest season of any show ever. Then season 2 was just good. Then season 3 was bad. I quit watching after season 3. I loved the 1st season though.

As others have mentioned, Silicon Valley is hilarious. Mike Judge has always made me laugh though. Office Space is still one of my favorite movies.

Thanks for info on Homeland. Starting it over the weekend. Haven't watched but plot is in line with shows I like.

The Wire
Sopranos
GoT

next level:
Homeland
Ray Donavan
House of Cards

I'm totally with you on Breaking Bad, I never would have finished it but my wife loved it so I watched it with her. I couldn't stand the lead character or the wife. So many people love that show and I don't get it

It takes a while to get into. As doug said, they are setting the table for something bigger in the first season. The biggest mistake they make is starting out Season 2 with a whole new set of characters and story that takes a minute to get into. I think a lot of females have trouble relating to the show, too.

Reactions: hoosierdug
Deadwood was amazing, but they just ended it. No closure at all. There have been rumors of a movie possibly, but it's been so long. Probably never happens.

I think the 1st season of Homeland might be the greatest season of any show ever. Then season 2 was just good. Then season 3 was bad. I quit watching after season 3. I loved the 1st season though.

As others have mentioned, Silicon Valley is hilarious. Mike Judge has always made me laugh though. Office Space is still one of my favorite movies.

Go back to Homeland....season 4 got back on track. Agree that season 3 wasn't great. This last season was really good.

Reactions: C-$ and IUJIM

The Soprano's
Breaking Bad
The Americans
Battlestar Galactica
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Lost
Empire
The Blacklist
48 Hours
Band of Bros

Man, you have to watch Band of Brothers and the Wire. No other shows on your list besides GOT and Sopranos compares to those two. Those four shows would be my tier 1.

You didn't mention Sons of Anarchy so I'm guessing you've seen it but that's really good too.

Reactions: C-$
It takes a while to get into. As doug said, they are setting the table for something bigger in the first season. The biggest mistake they make is starting out Season 2 with a whole new set of characters and story that takes a minute to get into. I think a lot of females have trouble relating to the show, too.
Season 2 was the worst of all the seasons, then it picks back up and the last season is really good.

Workaholics...........

Actually, it is pretty bad but sucks those of us with a juvenile mind in.

You want the Showtime version.

It's an entertaining show, but nowhere near as quality as others mentioned.

Sopranos
Breaking Bad

Start there, then go to the others. I also really like Homeland. I've been watching Billions, it's pretty decent. But brand new, so you aren't going to be binge watching that many episodes.

I thought Dexter was better than Breaking Bad.

BSG
BoB

Got

Wire
HoC

(spaces are intentional)

the rest are basically shit

I thought Dexter was better than Breaking Bad.

Dexter was good but the last couple of seasons were bad. If they had stopped and ended it like they did Breaking Bad it would have been much better. The series finale was horrendous.

Watching The Wire now and near the end of season 4. Great show.

1) Band of Brothers
2) The Wire (prefer this to BOB but much longer to watch)
3) Heroes (1st season only, Save the cheerleader, save the world)
4) Deadwood
5) Firefly
6) Sopranos
7) six feet under
8) The Fall (Netflix)
9) A-team

The Wire
Sopranos
GoT

next level:
Homeland
Ray Donavan
House of Cards

I agree, Breaking Bad made me feel like this too:

board.jpg

Reactions: IUJIM and T.M.P.
The Wire was great. Sopranos was great. BoB, of course.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men were second tier, but still good.

I loved Lost, because it forced you to pay attention and had long, convoluted story arcs, but some of the acting was sub-par, and the writers lost track of the mess they had created by the end, so it kind of goes out with a whimper.

The Americans is the best TV available right now.

Only TMP bothers to mention BSG. If someone watched it and didn't like it because they can't handle sci-fi, oh well, I get that. I'm willing to bet it's more likely that people simply didn't watch it because they assumed they wouldn't like sci-fi, and in that case, those people are retards. It's one of the best dramas TV has ever produced. It's not even really sci-fi. It's a character drama set in space.

Reactions: T.M.P.

Breaking Bad
The Wire
Narcos

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT