ADVERTISEMENT

Rank/Opinions on shows

It takes a while to get into. As doug said, they are setting the table for something bigger in the first season. The biggest mistake they make is starting out Season 2 with a whole new set of characters and story that takes a minute to get into. I think a lot of females have trouble relating to the show, too.
It's this females favorite show of all time. But I have a lot of testosterone. I was upset when they switched season 2 characters, but became engrossed with them after awhile too.

Dexter was good but the last couple of seasons were bad. If they had stopped and ended it like they did Breaking Bad it would have been much better. The series finale was horrendous.

Watching The Wire now and near the end of season 4. Great show.
Season 4 is the best. I get teary just thinking of those kids.

The way you and Goat talk about BSG makes me want to dive in. I'm a big Star Trek fan because to me it wasn't about space...it was about great philosophical dilemmas that test your moral compass and makes you view things from multiple points of view...with Spock being the unemotional voice of reason to whatever emotional reaction it's getting out of you.

I never gave it a chance because I so disliked the TV series from the early 80's. I thought 'V' was a better SyFy show. That series reminded me of Disney's 'The Black Hole'. I was also 10 years old so I probably didn't understand it fully.

The reason why I'm such a GOT freak is because IMO it's the most efficient and intelligently written show I've ever encountered. That might say more about myself that anything but I'm so used to things being pretty simple and linear. That's a bad guy, that's the good guy...that's the tension created by the bad guy that the good guy much overcome. Even star wars was pretty simple. When Vader walked on the screen you knew...yeah that's the bad guy.

Thrones to me is such an amazing story because one what you think is obviously bad is sometimes good and what is obviously good is sometimes bad...just like real life. Also there is very little wasted dialogue, music or set piece. It all is important to the story. Even conversations from 5 years ago are just now coming back to be as important to the story as they were way back then. Lastly it has done an exceptional job dropping clues but not making it so obvious at the time...but in retrospect it's plain as day. Things like in Season 1 when Jon Snow yells at Tyrion 'what do you know about being a bastard'. That's an extremely powerful line today, or I strongly believe will be once Tyrion's origin story is more revealed. Or when Benjen Stark is trying to convince Jon not to join the Night's Watch in season one. He says 'family might not mean much to you now but it might in the future' then he pauses and says 'you have no idea what you would be giving up'. At the time it seems like he's just talking about the Night Watch lifestyle with no pu$$y to a teenager...now people are convinced that Benjen is the only Stark Ned told his little secret too'. It's why Benjen joined the NW and took a strong liking to Jon. Incredible and so obvious when you look back at the clues they gave (I mean I think every main character has made a comment about how honorable Ned Stark is....and only two male characters have been described as 'pretty'...Rhaegar and Jon (both multiple times by different characters). I believe that's on purpose by the writers. Awesome.

If you would have told me to watch the first 4 episodes of thrones I would have said 'Got it, Starks are good and the Lanisters are bad. This is probably a story of the poor but honorable Starks eventually beating the rich and spoiled Lanisters.' Then if you would have said 'someone becomes the jesus character and brings balance to the force...who is it?' I would have guessed probably 10 characters before I got to Jon...and it's still not for certain that Jon is the hero of the story.

So yeah, I'm looking to get lost in a series that can make me think and emotionally react the way GOT's does which is why I'm excited for BSG now. Thank you!

Oh and the Shwimmer deal is just his voice. He's a fine actor but his voice always sounds like he's about to cry. Good for comedies but bugs the s$%t out of me for dramas.
You are going to love BSG.

Has anyone seen Bosch? It's not up with the great ones, but a good mystery, based on Michael Connelly's books. Just two seasons and lots of Wire characters, including Marlo. He was one of the few guys on the Wire that they didn't show both a good and bad side. Hated him. But he plays a good cop on Bosch.

Out of curiosity for those who don't like or wouldn't suggest The Wire I'd like to know why not? To me it's top 3 of all time and not really close....but maybe I should watch a few of the other shows listed.

Writing for 7 or so different story lines while keeping each character interesting? All levels of crime, corruption, politics, police departments,etc....competing interests getting outplayed by each other. I never get bored because to me each show/season is like a game of chess. Moves/alternate moves,etc..

Sorry to get thread sideways...just was curious.

After giving the show two tries, I finally gave up. after watching 4 episodes I wasn't motivated to watch five. It didn't keep my interest. Same with Breaking Bad.

The Soprano's - Got bored, stopped watching.
Breaking Bad - Got bored, stopped watching.
The Americans - Plan to start this soon.
Battlestar Galactica - On my list.
Game of Thrones - Like it.
Mad Men - Got bored, stopped watching.
Billions - Never heard of it.
Boardwalk Empire - Never watched.
The Wire - Got bored, stopped watching.
Lost - Liked it, although went downhill a bit.
Empire - Never watched.
The Blacklist - Never watched.
48 Hours - Love Murphy and Nolte! I like this show, but I watch mostly crime shows in general.
Band of Bros - Great show.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Empire - Never watched.
48 Hours - Love Murphy and Nolte! I like this show, but I watch mostly crime shows in general.
Have you ever considered you might be ADD? You get bored pretty easily! If you like Crime Shows, give Bosch a shot. It's not an all time great, but I think it would hold your interest.

Reactions: twenty02 and C-$
Have you ever considered you might be ADD? You get bored pretty easily! If you like Crime Shows, give Bosch a shot. It's not an all time great, but I think it would hold your interest.

I can list many I have finished. I hate most TV Dramas. 75% of what I watch are documentaries.

Has anyone seen Bosch? It's not up with the great ones, but a good mystery, based on Michael Connelly's books. Just two seasons and lots of Wire characters, including Marlo. He was one of the few guys on the Wire that they didn't show both a good and bad side. Hated him. But he plays a good cop on Bosch.
Bosch is pretty good. I definitely agree it's not up with the greats. But I really like the way the lead (never knew that dude's name) plays that character. He had been kind of typecast playing douchbag characters for a long time so it's interesting to see him step out of that and see what else he can do. I think it gets better the longer you watch it.

Empire - Never watched.
That's about correct.

There's just better thing to do than watch TV. If the show sucks no reason to watch it and most shows, just like most movies, and our basketball coach, suck.

Either that or find good quality tv shows on Snapchat??

Empire - Never watched.

The thing about these shows, and I've mentioned it before....they weren't made to be binge watched. You watched one, then waited a week. Than after 10-12 weeks, it wouldn't be back on for a year. Hell, Sopranos went nearly 2 years between seasons once.

Kept it a lot more interesting, where binge watching tends to get one tired of it, regardless of the quality of the show.

The thing about these shows, and I've mentioned it before....they weren't made to be binge watched. You watched one, then waited a week. Than after 10-12 weeks, it wouldn't be back on for a year. Hell, Sopranos went nearly 2 years between seasons once.

Kept it a lot more interesting, where binge watching tends to get one tired of it, regardless of the quality of the show.
That's a very good point and I think that's exactly why I got bored with The Soprano's. It got to be too much Bada Bing all the time.

Not all shows are to be binge watched, but they should at least be interesting enough to make me want to see more. I'm not a huge Dexter fan, but I will watch a few episodes a month. It keeps me around. It's not great, but entertaining enough.

I won't completely give up on a show unless it bores me. Very few if any popular show has bored me more then Breaking Bad. I found forcing myself to watch 4 episodes excruciating.

Not all shows are to be binge watched, but they should at least be interesting enough to make me want to see more. I'm not a huge Dexter fan, but I will watch a few episodes a month. It keeps me around. It's not great, but entertaining enough.

I won't completely give up on a show unless it bores me. Very few if any popular show has bored me more then Breaking Bad. I found forcing myself to watch 4 episodes excruciating.

Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows ever...but the 1st season wasn't exciting whatsoever. The last few seasons were tremendous. The 3rd to last episode, Ozymandias, was maybe the best TV episode I've ever watched.

Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows ever...but the 1st season wasn't exciting whatsoever. The last few seasons were tremendous. The 3rd to last episode, Ozymandias, was maybe the best TV episode I've ever watched.
I gave up BB in Season 3, so I never got around to seeing all these great episodes at the end.

I haven't watched much TV over the past year but the People vs OJ got me back in the mood. I could have cared less when it started and figured it was just tripe (and there is a lot of tripe, especially the scene where my man David Shwimmer who plays Bob Kardashian takes his kids out to a public restaurant and is recognized, gets a nice table without a wait,etc. His kids are all wide eyed and say something like 'Daddy you're famous! That's so cool!' and he comes back with 'kids I'm sticking up for my friend who is in trouble. We are about family and friends...not fame'.

Seriously gag me.

However it sucked me in. Reminded me of that time in my life and how crazy that story was...and it offered a very interesting personal view of all the characters and how they dealt with everything. I was hooked...watched the first 5 episodes in one night and couldn't wait for the new ones.

Same thing happened with Thrones.

So yeah, I'm back in TV mode probably for the worse but it's super cool when a story can grab your attention and make you binge watch.

There's just better thing to do than watch TV. If the show sucks no reason to watch it and most shows, just like most movies, and our basketball coach, suck.
Well, the Wire doesn't suck. I will argue to the ends of the earth on that one. And anyone that disagrees sucks. I am usually multitasking when I watch tv, but not during the great ones, where you have to pay attention.

Reactions: hoosierdug and C-$
Ozymandias was very good, but not as good as Middle Ground, Wire Season 3. I watched most of Dexter, but thought it was just an ok crime show. Nothing like the writing and character development of The Wire , Sopranos, or BB, the all time greats.

Reactions: twenty02
I'm currently watching the 60's a CNN documentary. It's really well done for far. Watch an episode a night.

Also watching the latest season of Bourdain, they are consistently good.

Have watched a few Expedition Unknown episodes. A great idea with a terrible host and poorly done. I only keep watching because I like the subject matter.

Well, the Wire doesn't suck. I will argue to the ends of the earth on that one. And anyone that disagrees sucks. I am usually multitasking when I watch tv, but not during the great ones, where you have to pay attention.
I'll second this. For Ziz to say that The Wire is boring, I seriously have to question his opinion on anything related to television or film in general. One would have to have some serious ADD issues to not be able to get into that as an adult. Or they're a woman (Zeke, you're an exception in that regard).

I'll second this. For Ziz to say that The Wire is boring, I seriously have to question his opinion on anything related to television or film in general. One would have to have some serious ADD issues to not be able to get into that as an adult. Or they're a woman (Zeke, you're an exception in that regard).

I tried twice, just not a fan. As I said I believe 97.2% of TV dramas and comedies suck.

I stick to documentaries or crime shows most of the time. Law and Order any version is what I use for background noise most of the time.

I tried twice, just not a fan. As I said I believe 97.2% of TV dramas and comedies suck.

I stick to documentaries or crime shows most of the time. Law and Order any version is what I use for background noise most of the time.
The Wire doesn't suck.
Boardwalk Empire doesn't suck.
The Sopranos doesn't suck.
The 1st 3 seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm doesn't suck.
Modern Family doesn't suck.
Arrested Development doesn't suck
You know what sucks? Random bullchit statistics. vbg

They may not suck, they just bored me. You are free to like what you want.

I watch Modern Family on occasion and I liked most of Arrested Development. Not a big fan of the last season.

Reactions: hoosierdug
The Wire doesn't suck.
Boardwalk Empire doesn't suck.
The Sopranos doesn't suck.
The 1st 3 seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm doesn't suck.
Modern Family doesn't suck.
Arrested Development doesn't suck
You know what sucks? Random bullchit statistics. vbg

Boardwalk Empire sucks.
The Sopranos eventually sucked.
The 1st 3 seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm sucked as badly as the rest.
Modern Family sucked the worst, WTF would anyone would watch that POS show is beyond me.
Arrested Development doesn't suck, much.

Boardwalk Empire sucks.
The Sopranos eventually sucked.
The 1st 3 seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm sucked as badly as the rest.
Modern Family sucked the worst, WTF would anyone would watch that POS show is beyond me.
Arrested Development doesn't suck, much.
I'm glad you have your opinion. I'll add it to mine regarding the 97.2 % bullchit. We're gonna give BG a look see. I'll get back with you on my review for it. I know you'll be waiting with baited breath.
Edit: I'll concede that MF does indeed suck a lot of the time. It was better towards the beginning. You said the Sopranos sucked eventually. Holy phack, what a revelation that is. Every damn show ever eventually begins to suck. Even The Wire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT