ADVERTISEMENT

Rand Pauls yard waste

Without a doubt. We had a giant one taken down on the corner of my lot last year. Sad day. Was easily over 100 years old, but we had no choice. A fungus had gotten into it, and the base was hollowing out and it was going to fall onto my neighbor's house.
"How old is a 39 ” burr oak tree? In the case of the 48” bur oak, again, we know that a 39” specimen is about 254 years old. A 48” tree is about 23% larger than that, so we would calculate it to be 312 years old, and say the tree could be 300 years old!"

My uncle wanted to log a woods we had and cut a very massive Burr Oak about 30 years ago and there is still a hole in the tree canopy where it was taken out and it was about 5 feet in diameter, if I remember correctly. He only got around $50 for it-what a waste.

If you do that the leaves kill off the grass by blocking sunlight. I don't recommend this advice.
Our small town sets a day to pick up leaves so we use a blower to move the leaves close to the street. I really like my small town as they pick up recycling along with trash and we just had a witches walk for the kids instead of trick or treating at homes. We have a lot of other things during the year but we do have some problems with people that move in without understanding how caring this town is.

If you do that the leaves kill off the grass by blocking sunlight. I don't recommend this advice.
It's not the inability of the sunlight to get through it's because your soil becomes to acidic. Grass likes a basic soil type and by mulching too many leaves you are lowering the soil ph. You can resolve the issue by putting down a lot of lime but it is probably easier to just bag the leaves, which is one of those do as I say and not as I do type of things.

This is the correct response. Mowing/mulching works until the big dump of leaves. I can mow/mulch every other day until 11/10-11/11 (like clockwork, every fvckin’ year) when the monster 110-year-old Oak in the front yard dumps a massive amount of leaves. Can’t get the mower through in some areas and in others the shredded leaves still leave an impenetrable layer.

You can only do so much and then you have to remove a significant portion. Blow ‘em onto a large tarp and drag full loads back to the woods behind the house. It’s never “just mow and let then decompose.” A couple of small trees might allow for this, but not a yard with a lot of large, mature trees. There is no one-size fits all situations. To claim otherwise is foolish. Not interested in killing the grass by foolishly hoping the leaves will all decompose.
We have a sweeper (Ohio Steel brand) that is pulled behind our rider that works very well. Also does some thatching as it uses a rotating brush to sweep them into its large bin.

Reactions: All4You
It's not the inability of the sunlight to get through it's because your soil becomes to acidic. Grass likes a basic soil type and by mulching too many leaves you are lowering the soil ph. You can resolve the issue by putting down a lot of lime but it is probably easier to just bag the leaves, which is one of those do as I say and not as I do type of things.
He was talking about my advice, which was to not mulch them. Just leave them there.

I collect them and compost them or use them to overwinter my banana trees. I even snag neighbor’s sleeves at night when they put them out at the street in bags
I have all the leaves you’ll ever need. Won’t even charge you for them.

Reactions: Noodle
@Crayfish57 after the responses of moderators and others in your thread you should feel to have open season to blow up any thread you like. There should be no fear of deletions, warnings, locks out of threads or bans.

You should do whatever you please without consequences. Of course we know “rules are for thee not for me”.
So because other posters didn't agree with his shit post, he is free to blow up other threads?

Yea, makes total sense. I think this takes moderating to a whole new level. F moderating, let's incite instead. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
"How old is a 39 ” burr oak tree? In the case of the 48” bur oak, again, we know that a 39” specimen is about 254 years old. A 48” tree is about 23% larger than that, so we would calculate it to be 312 years old, and say the tree could be 300 years old!"

My uncle wanted to log a woods we had and cut a very massive Burr Oak about 30 years ago and there is still a hole in the tree canopy where it was taken out and it was about 5 feet in diameter, if I remember correctly. He only got around $50 for it-what a waste.
Burr Oaks and shellbark hickories….a lot have been logged out. You have to get in the river bottoms around here to find a decent number

Reactions: Bill4411

Not sure that's accurate.... most of the university turf extensions (Purdue, Michigan state) have been recommending mulching leaves into turf for years. What do you think golf courses do? They sure as hell don't bag up leaves.

Reactions: bawlmer
Not sure that's accurate.... most of the university turf extensions (Purdue, Michigan state) have been recommending mulching leaves into turf for years. What do you think golf courses do? They sure as hell don't bag up leaves.

Depends how many…

You do need compost but they probably offset the loss in ph with a lot of lime. Did you ever notice that grass doesn't grow well under a tree?

You do need compost but they probably offset the loss in ph with a lot of lime. Did you ever notice that grass doesn't grow well under a tree?

Well grass doesn't grow well under trees regardless of soil PH.... mainly because trees outcompete turf for water and nutrients, plus turf needs sun.

Reactions: Univee2
"Leaves have no effect on soil pH and no measurable effect on nutrient availability."

Reactions: Univee2
WTF are you being a whiny little girl about, now?
Read OP and posts including yours. Nothing to do with OP. I thought that was the reason threads were being locked and posters banned for blowing up threads.

Really banning, warning and locking has nothing to do with rules.

Maybe the owner can pin WC rules.

Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
"Leaves have no effect on soil pH and no measurable effect on nutrient availability."

Then they have changed there tune at Purdue. I know whenever we cleared a woods the soil was usually so acidic for a few years the effect of having new ground to work wasn't that significant until you were able to correct the acidic ph of the soil. Regardless adding lime to grass is a very good thing for your yard. You may want to get a soil test because you need the right combination to have good grass-NPK (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium).

Reactions: twenty02
Burr Oaks and shellbark hickories….a lot have been logged out. You have to get in the river bottoms around here to find a decent number
There is a big burr oak.

313348305_1514351629034482_4662137767322270482_n.jpg

You are right to a degree but trees grow faster than you think when you aren't watching. Hickorys are really slow, including the one on this board. White oaks, which I am lumping all Yellow oak into vs Red oak (color of heartwood) of which black oak is a lower grade but red grow relatively fast for a hardwood black even faster . It is funny but in general the faster a hardwood tree grows the harder the wood vs the faster softwood grows the softer the wood for the same species. The loss of Ash is really sad,

There is a big burr oak.

You are right to a degree but trees grow faster than you think when you aren't watching. Hickorys are really slow, including the one on this board. White oaks, which I am lumping all Yellow oak into vs Red oak (color of heartwood) of which black oak is a lower grade but red grow relatively fast for a hardwood black even faster . It is funny but in general the faster a hardwood tree grows the harder the wood vs the faster softwood grows the softer the wood for the same species. The loss of Ash is really sad,
Beautiful tree but the lumber industry never liked them because of there open grain. White Oaks are a lot better and more desired for furniture manufactures. So, I guess unless they can make furniture easily out of a wood the timber companies don't want them no matter how good I think the wood is and the construction companies are more than happy to use warped and weak 2 X 4's which by the way aren't even 2 X 4s now-more like 1 5/8' x 3.5"

Beautiful tree but the lumber industry never liked them because of there open grain. White Oaks are a lot better and more desired for furniture manufactures. So, I guess unless they can make furniture easily out of a wood the timber companies don't want them no matter how good I think the wood is and the construction companies are more than happy to use warped and weak 2 X 4's which by the way aren't even 2 X 4s now-more like 1 5/8' x 3.5"
There are different grades, Like I said the first way I separate them is into either red or white groups and burr is a lower grade in the white family. White oak is a lot more rot resistant hence use in shipbuilding. A lot of hardwood and lower grade is used in pallets anymore. My family ran a sawmill for 50+ years so have some experience. I burn a lot of skids from industry and ones with 4x4s and thick boards from coil stock and still find ones with walnut and Cherry. I save some of the pieces. Old growth stuff is mostly gone but there are still a lot trees out there but you aren't going to find the really high quality . I used to buy some from a guy that sold Walnut to Japan to make steering wheels and somehow they boiled it to make the sapwood brown but the quality had to be lower.

Reactions: Lucy01
There are different grades, Like I said the first way I separate them is into either red or white groups and burr is a lower grade in the white family. White oak is a lot more rot resistant hence use in shipbuilding. A lot of hardwood and lower grade is used in pallets anymore. My family ran a sawmill for 50+ years so have some experience. I burn a lot of skids from industry and ones with 4x4s and thick boards from coil stock and still find ones with walnut and Cherry. I save some of the pieces. Old growth stuff is mostly gone but there are still a lot trees out there but you aren't going to find the really high quality . I used to buy some from a guy that sold Walnut to Japan to make steering wheels and somehow they boiled it to make the sapwood brown but the quality had to be lower.
White Oak made nice tables and also make good hardwood flooring. White Oak is a lot more expensive; I believe than the other oaks.

BTW my grandfather and I had some really old walnut boards that were old growth that were in an old haymow, and we used one board that was 24" wide for the back of the clock which is 7' tall and it was all heartwood. I doubt you could find a tree or even a board like that anywhere today. That wood was beautiful but really difficult to cut because was so old.

It seems like walnut trees never get to full size anymore because they are so valuable and if you aren't careful, they will get stolen out of the woods.

If you ever go to Conner Prairie Farm they have a really big barn that is entirely built out of walnut it has 12" beams running throughout. I believe it was built in like 1850. It's impressive if you know what you are looking at.

There is a big burr oak.

I spent @ $9k to save 4 Ash trees. Looks like they’re going to make it as of now…

White Oak made nice tables and also make good hardwood flooring. White Oak is a lot more expensive; I believe than the other oaks.

BTW my grandfather and I had some really old walnut boards that were old growth that were in an old haymow, and we used one board that was 24" wide for the back of the clock which is 7' tall and it was all heartwood. I doubt you could find a tree or even a board like that anywhere today. That wood was beautiful but really difficult to cut because was so old.

It seems like walnut trees never get to full size anymore because they are so valuable and if you aren't careful, they will get stolen out of the woods.

If you ever go to Conner Prairie Farm they have a really big barn that is entirely built out of walnut it has 12" beams running throughout. I believe it was built in like 1850. It's impressive if you know what you are looking at.
I just sold a 1860s cabinet that was 100% walnut even the back boards that were 1'' think and 24'' wide each. 35 yrs ago I salvaged from a post and beam house being torn down. Most floor joist were white oak but there were about 6- 16 ft 2x10s that were clear walnut and had only had flooring no lath so one clean edge. They sawed up what was around. Ash seemed to be the wood of choice of houses of that era in my area including mine.

I just sold a 1860s cabinet that was 100% walnut even the back boards that were 1'' think and 24'' wide each. 35 yrs ago I salvaged from a post and beam house being torn down. Most floor joist were white oak but there were about 6- 16 ft 2x10s that were clear walnut and had only had flooring no lath so one clean edge. They sawed up what was around. Ash seemed to be the wood of choice of houses of that era in my area including mine.
A wood I like although not as hard is Poplar. A lot of old furniture is made from it.

There is a big burr oak.

White Ash is the best firewood imo. Splits easy and burns clean. Burr oaks and Chinkapins are top notch for wildlife. Some black oaks produce hen-of-the-woods mushrooms on October. I usually try to gather shagbark hickories, black walnuts, beech nuts and pecans in the fall.

Reactions: Crayfish57
There is a big burr oak.

Who's the babe?

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Bill and Cray, so glad to see you two are getting close! lol It's amazing how much we all have in common outside politics.

I'm surprised you didn't discuss the 53,000 acres of White Oak in Crane Naval Center right here in Indiana. To me, visiting Old Ironsides was the most patriotic experience I've ever had. I'm fascinated that the ship is still in working order and manned by active duty US Navy personnel

Bill and Cray, so glad to see you two are getting close! lol It's amazing how much we all have in common outside politics.

I'm surprised you didn't discuss the 53,000 acres of White Oak in Crane Naval Center right here in Indiana. To me, visiting Old Ironsides was the most patriotic experience I've ever had. I'm fascinated that the ship is still in working order and manned by active duty US Navy personnel

Yup politics are ruining a lot of things we like and have in common with someone else. It didn't use to be that way.

Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
Yup politics are ruining a lot of things we like and have in common with someone else. It didn't use to be that way.
It actually was, but we didn't have social media to broadcast it.

My wife's grandmother would make you look like a right-winger and she was born in 1910.

White Ash is the best firewood imo. Splits easy and burns clean. Burr oaks and Chinkapins are top notch for wildlife. Some black oaks produce hen-of-the-woods mushrooms on October. I usually try to gather shagbark hickories, black walnuts, beech nuts and pecans in the fall.
100% agree on Ash, the firewood of kings. Overall it is the best. Its about all I burned for several yrs from tree services when the borers hit. It has a really low moisture content to burn right away vs handling it more times to dry. White oak is my next it burns a lot longer and can sit a lot longer, Hickory I rarely get anymore and is best overnight but doesnt hold well. Black locust is good but messy, Osage is great but its so hard on equipment and sparks badly. I basically burn what I call roadkill, tree services from storms . I have cut down some big oaks but they were dying or getting removed by someone.

Reactions: Spartans9312
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT