ADVERTISEMENT

Rand Pauls yard waste

A wood I like although not as hard is Poplar. A lot of old furniture is made from it.
Old growth is extremely stable and rot resistant. I have a stack of closer to old growth than new I bought probably 30 years ago 20-24'' wide 22' long clear boards . Sadly I stacked it and have used a few of the 8-12 inch boards and that is all. People get yellow poplar and tulip confused. I have ongoing discussions with people. Tulip is in the magnolia family and while it has greenish yellow heartwood it is harder and not the same.

100% agree on Ash, the firewood of kings. Overall it is the best. Its about all I burned for several yrs from tree services when the borers hit. It has a really low moisture content to burn right away vs handling it more times to dry. White oak is my next it burns a lot longer and can sit a lot longer, Hickory I rarely get anymore and is best overnight but doesnt hold well. Black locust is good but messy, Osage is great but its so hard on equipment and sparks badly. I basically burn what I call roadkill, tree services from storms . I have cut down some big oaks but they were dying or getting removed by someone.
Black locust puts out a lot of heat but also does not burn very clean. It soots up the stove and pipe terribly especially if bark is still on …but it is easy to get and keeps well.
I agree…white ash and white oak are the top two.

Old growth is extremely stable and rot resistant. I have a stack of closer to old growth than new I bought probably 30 years ago 20-24'' wide 22' long clear boards . Sadly I stacked it and have used a few of the 8-12 inch boards and that is all. People get yellow poplar and tulip confused. I have ongoing discussions with people. Tulip is in the magnolia family and while it has greenish yellow heartwood it is harder and not the same.
Yellow poplar and “tulip” poplar are the same. At least in southern indiana.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Bill and Cray, so glad to see you two are getting close! lol It's amazing how much we all have in common outside politics.

I'm surprised you didn't discuss the 53,000 acres of White Oak in Crane Naval Center right here in Indiana. To me, visiting Old Ironsides was the most patriotic experience I've ever had. I'm fascinated that the ship is still in working order and manned by active duty US Navy personnel

White oak lasts forever. If it is below water line and never gets oxygen it will last forever.

I can converse with some people who's politics I don't like but there are some on here I wouldnt discuss anything.

Reactions: DANC
I will never be convinced and I know there are others. Yellow poplar is closer to a cottonwood in my world. I know using it for lumber at least new growth I can tell a difference in it.
Tulip Tree goes by several aliases, including Yellow Poplar and Tulip Poplar, but it's not a poplar at all. Poplars are in the genus Populus in the Willow Family (Salicaceae). Tulip Tree's scientific name is Liriodendron tulipifera, loosely translated as "tulip-bearing lily tree." Tulip Trees aren't tulips either, of course, nor are they lilies;
MagnoliaSouthernFlower02.jpg
in fact--and many people are surprised by this--they're actually in the Magnolia Family (Magnoliaceae), right along with the familiar Southern Magnolia (left). The six-petalled blossoms are anatomically similar, but one big difference between these two magnolias is Southern Magnolia bears shiny, leathery, evergreen leaves while the Tulip Tree is deciduous. In the case of Tulip Trees, the word "tulip" does pertain to tulip-like blossoms and--to our eye at least--also to the tulip-like appearance of the leaf outline. At 2-3 inches in width the Tulip Tree's showy flower is a lot smaller than that of Southern

I will never be convinced and I know there are others. Yellow poplar is closer to a cottonwood in my world. I know using it for lumber at least new growth I can tell a difference in it.

Tulip Tree goes by several aliases, including Yellow Poplar and Tulip Poplar, but it's not a poplar at all. Poplars are in the genus Populus in the Willow Family (Salicaceae). Tulip Tree's scientific name is Liriodendron tulipifera, loosely translated as "tulip-bearing lily tree." Tulip Trees aren't tulips either, of course, nor are they lilies;
MagnoliaSouthernFlower02.jpg
in fact--and many people are surprised by this--they're actually in the Magnolia Family (Magnoliaceae), right along with the familiar Southern Magnolia (left). The six-petalled blossoms are anatomically similar, but one big difference between these two magnolias is Southern Magnolia bears shiny, leathery, evergreen leaves while the Tulip Tree is deciduous. In the case of Tulip Trees, the word "tulip" does pertain to tulip-like blossoms and--to our eye at least--also to the tulip-like appearance of the leaf outline. At 2-3 inches in width the Tulip Tree's showy flower is a lot smaller than that of Southern
Yes….that flower is not the yellow poplar. That looks like an ornamental. Like what people put in their landscape. People are here call yellow poplar, tulip poplar, because of the shape of the leaf.
I just call them poplar.

Yes….that flower is not the yellow poplar. That looks like an ornamental. Like what people put in their landscape. People are here call yellow poplar, tulip poplar, because of the shape of the leaf.
I just call them poplar.
That is actually a magnolia flower from article I clipped. Reality it doesnt make much difference as to the wood value. I have a couple tulip in my yard Poplar leaves arent shaped like a Tulip tree. The actual wood is close to the same.

That is actually a magnolia flower from article I clipped. Reality it doesnt make much difference as to the wood value. I have a couple tulip in my yard Poplar leaves arent shaped like a Tulip tree. The actual wood is close to the same.
Yellow poplar leaves are shaped like a tulip.
We may be talking about different trees. I would have to see the poplar leaf you are discussing.
When split the poplar is stringy.

Yellow poplar leaves are shaped like a tulip.
We may be talking about different trees. I would have to see the poplar leaf you are discussing.
When split the poplar is stringy.
That is Tulip! that splits that way

Yellow Poplar

images

Tulip
images

Only sorta yellow poplar leaf I could find a pic they all show Tulip. Its a small peeve of mine . True Yellow poplar look much more like a cottonwood leaf kind of like a ace of spades shape. We have mostly those here in the north and don't really see the leaves a lot in the woods where I encounter them as they are up high and they arent really a yard tree. I have split and burnt some yellow poplar that got dropped and was already at length so I split it. It isnt stringy. I know from doing hand cut dovetails on poplar the difference when I get a piece of tulip. Its totally different to work with. If you are running trim to paint through a machine there isnt much difference. Tulip is heavier. Like I said I have seen the discussion amongst people for a long time.

We can agree to disagree anyway!

That is Tulip! that splits that way

Yellow Poplar

images

Tulip
images

Only sorta yellow poplar leaf I could find a pic they all show Tulip. Its a small peeve of mine . True Yellow poplar look much more like a cottonwood leaf kind of like a ace of spades shape. We have mostly those here in the north and don't really see the leaves a lot in the woods where I encounter them as they are up high and they arent really a yard tree. I have split and burnt some yellow poplar that got dropped and was already at length so I split it. It isnt stringy. I know from doing hand cut dovetails on poplar the difference when I get a piece of tulip. Its totally different to work with. If you are running trim to paint through a machine there isnt much difference. Tulip is heavier. Like I said I have seen the discussion amongst people for a long time.

We can agree to disagree anyway!
The bottom photo is what we have around here.

The bottom photo is what we have around here.
What is crazy to me is as I did a little looking to find those obviously, a website will say how a Tulip is actually a magnolia family tree and then call it poplar by the end! I am getting old myself and go by my grandpa that ran a sawmill, spent summers in the woods as a kid and the guy I first worked for that built houses start to finish and had his own shop to make all the trim etc. Like I said reality its not a huge difference. You must burn wood? Here is a tip if you didnt know and especially if you are finding some wood stringy. Split it the way it grows, meaning if using a splitter you run the wedge from the end of the wood that pointed to the sky and split from top down. Obviously on crotches you are limited but even then if you can.If its such straight trunk wood you can't tell it likely wont matter. Ive worked with people splitting and I will tell them that and get a look, then get wow that works better.

What is crazy to me is as I did a little looking to find those obviously, a website will say how a Tulip is actually a magnolia family tree and then call it poplar by the end! I am getting old myself and go by my grandpa that ran a sawmill, spent summers in the woods as a kid and the guy I first worked for that built houses start to finish and had his own shop to make all the trim etc. Like I said reality its not a huge difference. You must burn wood? Here is a tip if you didnt know and especially if you are finding some wood stringy. Split it the way it grows, meaning if using a splitter you run the wedge from the end of the wood that pointed to the sky and split from top down. Obviously on crotches you are limited but even then if you can.If its such straight trunk wood you can't tell it likely wont matter. Ive worked with people splitting and I will tell them that and get a look, then get wow that works better.
I used to burn wood but don’t much any longer. My grandpa always has a wood burner. I help the neighbor as he burns in his shop. My dad made me learn the trees before I could go hunting. I am forever grateful that he did.

Blow them into the neighbors yard.... what else. 🤣
There are two types of people in the world: Those who do such heinous things and thus get thumped and those who justifiably do the thumping.

Don’t be in the first group.

Reactions: NPT and DANC
I am starting a new thread on this. I don't know the details and not one person does of the Pelosi situation and I never said it was a good thing that happened and obviously a person with mental problems.

Since @Stuffshot is trying to say it was OK for Rand's neighbor to attack him for piling yard waste too close to HIS own property line I just have to wonder. So just how close to piling yard waste on your own property makes a physical attack OK? Does anyone really think that was the real reason? I have a neighbor that piles his on MY property. Does that mean it would be OK for me to physically assault him?

I can't even see where this all came into that thread I can no longer post in but does playing on a baseball team for one party warrant getting shot?

Liberals are jumping on this like hyenas
yes, go attack our neighbor right away, unless your neighbor is in a wheelchair, I like their chances

There are two types of people in the world: Those who do such heinous things and thus get thumped and those who justifiably do the thumping.

Don’t be in the first group.
Honestly, I try to mulch a lot of the leaves but with my mower I need to do it before there are too many. It rained last week and there were so many fell that I had to bag them (7 bags) and then I was gone for 3 days and came back and had to bag them again (7 bags again). There are a few left on the tree so when they fall I'll be able to mulch what's left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT