ADVERTISEMENT

Rak, Burn The Mall and all veterans

hoosierdug

Hall of Famer
Dec 2, 2003
thanks for your service and have a great weekend. And yes, Ralphie I know that's not your handle. Most of the weekend weather promises to be glorious. Cheers you deginerate bastards.

I have to say something though. Memorial day is remembrance for those who died while serving. Veterans day is for the living. Just sayin' ..

vbg.
I know that, but it's always nice to remember those while we still can and acknowledge the fact that many of them have lost close friends and/or relatives in the line of duty. That's all.

Much appreciated. I agree with TMP though. This holiday is for heroes and I certainly don't qualify. However, I do appreciate your thanks.

I know that, but it's always nice to remember those while we still can and acknowledge the fact that many of them have lost close friends and/or relatives in the line of duty. That's all.
It's cool, that's why I added the "just sayin".. most people don't know the difference between the two days.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Instead of the Jams thread, I thought this belonged here:

I like this one from Billy Joel. I was a draftee many years ago and served in Viet Nam. I was a supply clerk, MOS 76C20. I never fired my M14 and was never in actual combat. Cigarettes and beer was cheap back then, and the young women were pretty. US-52607977 was my serial number, you never forget that.

Reactions: IUhottie
I like this one from Billy Joel. I was a draftee many years ago and served in Viet Nam. I was a supply clerk, MOS 76C20. I never fired my M14 and was never in actual combat. Cigarettes and beer was cheap back then, and the young women were pretty. US-52607977 was my serial number, you never forget that.
I don't know how in hell I put the link on there twice.

It's cool, that's why I added the "just sayin".. most people don't know the difference between the two days.
Also, FWIW, most of the world celebrates Memorial Day on our Veterans Day. They usually call it "Remembrance Day" or something similar, I think. Our date for Memorial Day is unique because it is comes from the Civil War instead of WWI.

Well, as I said to TMP, our Memorial Day is on a different date, because it dates to the Civil War, instead of WWI. So I figured this was appropriate.

That's a great clip (story). I could sit and listen to McCollough talk about anything. Whenever I read his books, I hear his voice in my head. Ken Burns series are always amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT