ADVERTISEMENT

Question for mods

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
The big election is of a different dynamic. It’s amongst Dems that mattered. Primaries. D is all that matters in the big election As for Desantis he gets lauded bc he is clearly much brighter than Harris. Our own eyes and ears and academics and bar etc. what’s more he has been a successful gov. He just ran into trump and people liked his presidency.
And John McCain lost to Bush in the 2000 pub primary (ran into a legacy). Should he have sat out 2008? I know what you're saying but asking Harris to not accept the gift given is a bridge too far for 99.9% of all politicians regardless of political stripe. AGain, you're calling Harris dumb but that's as lazy as saying Bush was dumb.

Are either of them as smart as DeSantis? Probably not. Are both likely to be president before DeSantis? Yep. Merica baby.

Reactions: BradStevens
Did she take advantage of certain charms possessed by younger women navigating the halls of older men? Damn right she did.

I think she's a poor communicator. But she created a path for herself that ended with her as a US Senator and VP. Hell, she might end up president.

Do I think she's proud of every decision she made? No. Who is? Did she take a "shortcut?" Possibly. Maybe b/c she felt she had to? This was a the 90's and sexism was still very much a thing. Do we remember what people thought of Hillary and her idea of what a First Lady should be versus what had been before? They all but told her to wear a dress and roll the ****ing Easter eggs.

As to your last point, how is voluntary celibacy treating you these days? Gotta be the longest run since your teenage years, right? Grin.
I’m going to push back on the sexism angle excusing the use of a personal relationship based on looks and sex to advance. She arguably advanced over not just men, but less attractive women (in law, we have many) or those unwilling to take a position from those one has sex with or those who just didn’t find a 60 year old attractive. That kind of integrity still exists in the world.

Would a male politician do the same? ABSOLUTELY. Most of them are all “whores” in that way and should be labeled as such (and it IS sexist to use that label with one sex and not the other on an issue like this).

But again, why are we OK with this? Have we really become so cynical in our society that we can’t want a candidate who will advance on his or her own merit at doing a job well or being unusually smart or capable than someone who takes advantage of every non-meritorious issue to advance?

Set morality aside for a moment: how does being an expert at networking and using one’s gender, beauty, willingness to date someone twice your age and advance based off that, and heritage to win elections prepare someone to be the Chief Executive of the largest manager or risk and the largest military the world has ever seen?

That last paragraph shows just how out of whack our system is for the Presidency and how screwed we have been in our choices the last two cycles.

**Disclaimer: admitting this about Harris need not disqualify her as the best choice this cycle.

And John McCain lost to Bush in the 2000 pub primary (ran into a legacy). Should he have sat out 2008? I know what you're saying but asking Harris to not accept the gift given is a bridge too far for 99.9% of all politicians regardless of political stripe. AGain, you're calling Harris dumb but that's as lazy as saying Bush was dumb.

Are either of them as smart as DeSantis? Probably not. Are both likely to be president before DeSantis? Yep. Merica baby.
Oh I don’t blame her at all for taking it. She has drive and plays on her qualities to her credit. But I do think she’s a far cry from smart.

Reactions: DANC and larsIU
Is she suddenly any different than this person one year ago? Half the country became radical progressives overnight? No. It’s a glow up devoid of merit. She was coronated.

Of course she was. Again, I'm not arguing that. I'm also not arguing that I don't think the Dems shouldn't have done something different. But we are where we are and she's the candidate.

I get that the MSM is glowing her up. Does that surprise you? Fox has been (mostly) apologizing for TRump for over 8 years now. Politics is bloodsport in America. Whining about the other side's advantages is sour grapes at this point.

@BradStevens as an addendum, we won't elect someone humble except in movies. I would love for a candidate to say, "I don't have all the answers, but I am a good listener. I will listen to the debate and make the best decision I can. I cannot guarantee I won't make mistakes. But in making decisions, here are the things I will prioritize. .... ."

But we want people who say, "I know everything, and the following plan will work to perfection ... ."
I’m naive and idealistic enough to think that candidate would win, Marv. I really am.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
And outside of a thread about politicians' sex lives, so what? Why the need to constantly refer to her as heels up Harris in threads that have nothing to do with sex? It's juvenile, and if it bothers you when someone asks you to stop it, you don't belong in grown up conversation.
I don't need to constantly refer to her as it. She has literally only been the candidate since July. I made a funny post (which I do all the time) and asked why it got deleted. I first assumed it was because of the "heels up" reference, but read a couple of posts calling Trump "Orange Jesus" literally the next morning. So, I assumed I made a mistake when I tried to post it. Nope, Mark confirmed he is a liberal hack and is ok with juvenile insults for 8 years being hurled at Trump, but can't take it for 8 weeks with his party candidate. Shocking, liberals are hypocrites.

You decided to whine and call me a bitch because I made one thread calling Mark out. If Mark is going to be a partisan hack as moderator, he should be able to take one thread calling him out for it. For the record Mark has taken it like a man, you're the one who got overly sensitive about it. Also, if you want grown up conversation be consistent and I'll take you serious. Until than you're just a whiny shit lib who lacks self awareness.

Last edited:
But again, why are we OK with this? Have we really become so cynical in our society that we can’t want a candidate who will advance on his or her own merit at doing a job well or being unusually smart or capable than someone who takes advantage of every non-meritorious issue to advance?
Cynical? We're like the postmodern version of cynical. We're no meritocracy and I'm not sure we ever will be. And, again, "non-meritorious" is subjective, no? She has to be in a position to take an advantage offered. Getting to that base position required her to advance on merit. Maybe not always, but certainly the majority of the time.

Brad - I don't like it but I also refuse to live in a world of rainbows and unicorns b/c everybody will take advantage of me.

Set morality aside for a moment: how does being an expert at networking and using one’s gender, beauty, willingness to date someone twice your age and advance based off that, and heritage to win elections prepare someone to be the Chief Executive of the largest manager or risk and the largest military the world has ever seen?
Dunno. But we've been doing it for a long ****ing time. We sit here today pretending like our past presidents were there b/c of merit. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Perpahs more than today but come on man.

• Sad
Seems like your “panties are in a bunch” over something that is not funny in the least.

From now on I’m going to call Trump “Donald Mishroom Head, Yeti Pubes, Rapist, 34 Time Convicted Felon, 7 time flier on Epstein’s Lolita Express, Seríal Philanderer. 5 Time Draft Dodger, Sociopath, Pathological Liar, Dictator Worshiper, Trump”

In case you haven't looked around, you're about 8 years too late...
th_coffee.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and snarlcakes
What should she have said? No? Hahahahahahahaha. Also, this attack is utter bullshit without also mentioning that she was a sitting US senator from the largest state in the country and 5th or 6th largest entity by GDP in the world. If she wasn't in a position to take advantage of her situation she wouldn't have been able to take advantage of her situation.

This is like when people used to call Bush "dumb". No he wasn't. Not at all. It's just lazy b/c they don't agree with that person's policies or how they communicate. In fact, I liken Harris to Bush quite a bit in that regard. Both are terrible communicators. Doesn't make them stupid. And based on Harris' ability to be calculating I'd venture she is actually quite bright.

So did DeSantis but nearly every pub here is willing to bend the knee to him as a super smart, well deserving candidate. Ramaswamy as well.
So we are looking at electing another President who could make arguably the worst foreign policy mistake in this nation’s history?

That’s a really bad comp. And I like Bush personally.

Reactions: DANC
So we are looking at electing another President who could make arguably the worst foreign policy mistake in this nation’s history?

That’s a really bad comp. And I like Bush personally.
I appreciate that you didn't name which person would be the President b/c I tend to agree that either of them could royally **** everything.

I don't like this timeline but it's the one I live in apparently. Better than others thoughout history I suppose.

• Sad

She’s not dumb. IQ between 100-110 is my guess.

This whole line of attack is stupid and really paints Republicans as low down if they continue it. So, please do. I mean, did she "sleep her way to the top?". The answer is quite clearly no b/c YOU DON'T ****ING BECOME A SENATOR OF THE LARGEST STATE IN THE UNION WITHOUT BEING COMPETENT.

Did she take advantage of certain charms possessed by younger women navigating the halls of older men? Damn right she did.

I mean, is anybody at all shocked Donald Trump tried to get his wick wet in any woman he could while he was a king of real estate in New York in the 80's and 90's? IF you are, you're naive and should no longer be allowed to comment here.

My God, we pretend like high powered people don't have the same faults we do. ****ing pedastels we put these people on. I don't recall ever being upset or shocked by Trump's actions b/c they don't surprise me at all. If Kamala leveraged a relationship with Willie Brown to become a prosecuter (and a damn good one at that), well.......that might have been part of being a cut throat woman in the 90's. Honestly says more about society that Willie needed that extra kick to put a qualified woman in the job.

Can we please just imagine all of our politicians with their their clothes on and argue their policy positions. Lord have mercy we are a pearl clutching group aren't we?
Your Party set the standard for this, Lars. Maybe you chastised anyone who criticized Trump for being a whore dog, but I sure don't remember it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
YOU DON'T ****ING BECOME A SENATOR OF THE LARGEST STATE IN THE UNION WITHOUT BEING COMPETENT.

Competency is rarely on the ballot in the district she won. The Big D was (and not that Big D, let's keep it civil).

Of course she was. Again, I'm not arguing that. I'm also not arguing that I don't think the Dems shouldn't have done something different. But we are where we are and she's the candidate.

I get that the MSM is glowing her up. Does that surprise you? Fox has been (mostly) apologizing for TRump for over 8 years now. Politics is bloodsport in America. Whining about the other side's advantages is sour grapes at this point.
This just assumes that we should accept NYT, et al as part of the Democratic machinery. That’s the biggest reason I am so adamant on this stuff.

Politicians have been lying and exaggerating my whole life. But these media outlets that I used to respect used to push back. Now they’re complicit. I hate that.

Maybe I’m wrong, though. Maybe it’s always been like this and I was ignorant/naive. Ugh.

Seems like your “panties are in a bunch” over something that is not funny in the least.

From now on I’m going to call Trump “Donald Mishroom Head, Yeti Pubes, Rapist, 34 Time Convicted Felon, 7 time flier on Epstein’s Lolita Express, Seríal Philanderer. 5 Time Draft Dodger, Sociopath, Pathological Liar, Dictator Worshiper, Trump”

What should she have said? No? Hahahahahahahaha. Also, this attack is utter bullshit without also mentioning that she was a sitting US senator from the largest state in the country and 5th or 6th largest entity by GDP in the world. If she wasn't in a position to take advantage of her situation she wouldn't have been able to take advantage of her situation.

This is like when people used to call Bush "dumb". No he wasn't. Not at all. It's just lazy b/c they don't agree with that person's policies or how they communicate. In fact, I liken Harris to Bush quite a bit in that regard. Both are terrible communicators. Doesn't make them stupid. And based on Harris' ability to be calculating I'd venture she is actually quite bright.

So did DeSantis but nearly every pub here is willing to bend the knee to him as a super smart, well deserving candidate. Ramaswamy as well.
Didn't Desantis win some delegates?

I'm not so sure Bush isn't dumb......

Reactions: larsIU
Cynical? We're like the postmodern version of cynical. We're no meritocracy and I'm not sure we ever will be. And, again, "non-meritorious" is subjective, no? She has to be in a position to take an advantage offered. Getting to that base position required her to advance on merit. Maybe not always, but certainly the majority of the time.

Brad - I don't like it but I also refuse to live in a world of rainbows and unicorns b/c everybody will take advantage of me.

Dunno. But we've been doing it for a long ****ing time. We sit here today pretending like our past presidents were there b/c of merit. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Perpahs more than today but come on man.
Well shit. I’m going to have a hard time arguing this.

You’re like the Judge and I’m one of those little Mexican boys he takes a liking to with this post.

She was elected in calif which is a far cry from national. She was apptd vp as a result of the summer of love and identity politics
She was one of the more consequential VP picks in modern memory b/c of Biden's age and...........well, age related issues. I'm being nice.

She was at least as consequential as Pence was for Trump. For different reasons but same impact. I say this forgetting Palin was consequential in the completely opposite direction.

I don't think Dems were naive in that Biden could have issues before the end of his first term (he clearly has) and that there was a better than average chance Harris would be prez before the end of his first term.

All this to say, while not vetted via a primary, I think she's been pretty well looked over during the past 5-6 years.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
Didn't Desantis win some delegates?

I'm not so sure Bush isn't dumb......
Which Bush? GHW Bush was probably near genius level IQ. GWB was far more intelligent than his critics give him credit for. I've seen him speaking off teleprompter and he was excellent at that. Both were far more intelligent than you.

She was one of the more consequential VP picks in modern memory b/c of Biden's age and...........well, age related issues. I'm being nice.

She was at least as consequential as Pence was for Trump. For different reasons but same impact. I say this forgetting Palin was consequential in the completely opposite direction.

I don't think Dems were naive in that Biden could have issues before the end of his first term (he clearly has) and that there was a better than average chance Harris would be prez before the end of his first term.

All this to say, while not vetted via a primary, I think she's been pretty well looked over during the past 5-6 years.

Biden picked her because he thought she gave him the best chance to win, not because she was the best choice to govern if he should die.

With a horrific approval rating throughout. The one thing she was charged with as her big assignment has been an unmitigated disaster

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT