ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty bad when the team is losing Don Fischer!

It's not that and it's not the politics and the whole knocking Bobby off his pedestal, removing the party school image Brand/McRobby initiative thing, make IU a better academic institution stuff. IU has a beautiful campus, but the idea of furthering IU as an academic institution to the detriment of its athletic programs is laughable. IU is and always has been, but for a handful of things, one of the lesser academic institutions in the conference. That we have a usually bad basketball team AND a historically bad football team is a bad athletic department thing, and all the passing the buck BS isn't going to change that. They all need to go or be removed from the decision making processes. Woody needs to resign, Dolson needs to do his job without his hands tied by Buckner or resign, and Buckner needs to let Dolson or whoever do their job, hire consulting firms, do proper hiring due diligence, etc. or resign. I respect Buckner, but he is one on the BOT, his title is not Basketball Czar
This is patently untrue in regards to academics. I can assure you that in the late 80s

- The music school was on par with Julliard
- Kelley was Top 25
- SPEA was 1 or 2 in the nation
- Sociology
- Biology/Pre-Med
- Psychology top 10
- Journalism top 10
- Foreign Languages top 20

Don't have the patience to look it up but I would bet we were clearly competing behind Northwestern and UM at the time.

Yeah. A month ago, I was more engaged with the team than I have been since 2012. Now, I just want ot to be over. What sucks is they will probably give him another year. Hopefully May is still around.

This is patently untrue in regards to academics. I can assure you that in the late 80s

- The music school was on par with Julliard
- Kelley was Top 25
- SPEA was 1 or 2 in the nation
- Sociology
- Biology/Pre-Med
- Psychology top 10
- Journalism top 10
- Foreign Languages top 20

Don't have the patience to look it up but I would bet we were clearly competing behind Northwestern and UM at the time.
I hacked for six months so I won’t quite but most of those are still highly ranked. Informatics and other tech disciplines highly rated as well.

I recall there being a Meat Poet in Dunn Meadow who would recite poetry and throw meat at people if I recall correctly, it's been a long time.

During my time (98–02) I can genuinely say I never encountered that or anything close to it. Never sought anything like that out either though. I don’t doubt it was out there then. Not as if it was a particularly conservative era at that time…
My male RA in ‘91 routinely wore a skirt. He looked like Jesus.

IU has an odd culture for sure. I took my 11 year old son around campus and he was like “people are weird here”

Compared to what? You spend a lot of time on college campuses? Embracing a bit of weird is a good thing in life. Particularly in college.

It's no Liberty University, but it's not Berkeley either.

Maybe you'd feel more comfortable at Purdue where everyone just stares at their shoes (probably to avoid the hideous scenery)

There was a moment in 2005 when my cousin, who is a casual basketball fan, but a very, very smart person mentioned to me that we (fans) would rue the day we fired MD. At the time, it sounded like the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard ... have you watched the weave and heave? Sadly, I think he was right. Had MD not needed a heat shield to set foot in the building and been given 2-3 years to fix it, it could have been fixed with time and better assistants, the recruiting was there. I was wrong, but this situation is different. MD was fired because IU was becoming well, not RMK's IU, but that was a whole lot better than IU not looking like a D1 team with the talent we have, this is that and sorry to say I think Woodson needs to go. MD was doing on the job training, was the lowest paid coach in the big 10 and was trying and learning. Woodson is paid a king's ransom for much worse results, poor roster construction, and he doesn't want to learn anything, neither do the players, and it's time to part ways.
You and your cousin have a weird memory.

Mike Davis was not fired. He was not forced to resign because of the losing streak. He had already planned to quit BEFORE the season went off the rails. At the time of the initial discussion with the University President, IU was still ranked 22nd, still in a tie for 2nd in the Big 10, and had beaten 3 ranked teams plus Purdue. Of their 5 losses at the time of his decision to quit, 2 were against ranked opponents.

"Indiana president Adam Herbert said he had planned to wait until after the season ended to evaluate whether the 45-year-old Davis would return as coach next year, but Davis wouldn't wait.

Herbert said Davis initiated discussions before the Connecticut game on Feb. 4. They met again afterward and eventually agreed on an $800,000 buyout - a hefty price for an athletics department that has run a multimillion dollar deficit in recent years. Davis was scheduled to earn about $800,000 with outside income over the final two years of his contract." ~Associated Press, originally published by the IndyStar.

This all went down in 2006.

Compared to what? You spend a lot of time on college campuses? Embracing a bit of weird is a good thing in life. Particularly in college.

It's no Liberty University, but it's not Berkeley either.

Maybe you'd feel more comfortable at Purdue where everyone just stares at their shoes (probably to avoid the hideous scenery)
I would say Purdue has a healthier culture than Iu

The union is just a bunch of kids eating and studying + hotel visitors. It’s uneventful.

Some of you need to get out more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT