ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty bad when the team is losing Don Fischer!

Al Bino

All-American
Dec 18, 2001
Reportedly said “I am embarrassed of this ball club. Not because of the score.”

Not sure of when that comment was said but, IMO, the last vestiges of what IU was is getting obliterated!

Something surely needs to be done at the end of this year.

Not sure of when that comment was said but, IMO, the last vestiges of what IU was is getting obliterated!

“The last vestiges of what IU was”….that left in 2000. You might be able to argue 2002.

Reactions: 76-1 and Univee2
Unfortunately, I don’t think Don will be commentating for too much longer! After 50+years of his legendary services, he surely deserves better than this himself! I dont know how he can stomach calling these games without saying something negative about a player or the program! He is 100% right! This is as embarrassed as it can get for any program! We all deserve better!

When you’ve lost Don Fischer you should realize you’ve lost it all.

Surely Woodson can not be so oblivious not to see too , can he?
I figure he is a prideful man. If that is true, does he still think he can get this turned around?

At least he didn't notch loss 16 of 15+ points. I was sure he would.
That is about as positive as I can get!

Unfortunately, I don’t think Don will be commentating for too much longer! After 50+years of his legendary services, he surely deserves better than this himself! I dont know how he can stomach calling these games without saying something negative about a player or the program! He is 100% right! This is as embarrassed as it can get for any program! We all deserve better!
Maybe he will get to the F it point of life. It would be awesome if he lost his filter .

Surely Woodson can not be so oblivious not to see too , can he?
I figure he is a prideful man. If that is true, does he still think he can get this turned around?

At least he didn't notch loss 16 of 15+ points. I was sure he would.
That is about as positive as I can get!
If I had to guess, I would think that Woodson is afraid of losing too many to the portal and destroying the recruiting of the prospects on which he’s concentrated. He likely realizes just how fragile the psyches are of his present team.

And, the game and the players are totally different from his college days. That may have been the biggest hit between his eyes. Just how different it is today and how far removed this is from the NBA.

Maybe he will get to the F it point of life. It would be awesome if he lost his filter .
Yea. I’d have to think in private he must go off on this, especially with the inside info he has which I’m sure isn’t good. Would love for him to be more vocal publicly, but it of course it’s up to him.

I get more thankful by the year that I was alive and old enough to experience the vast majority of that. Even the late 90s to 2002. There’s not a true fan out there that wouldn’t prefer that to this…
“Be careful what you wish for.”
~ abraxis (uttered here during the the late ‘90’s as more and more IU fans began calling for Knight’s ouster)

“A lot of coaches can be as successful here with our blue blood tradition of excellence and location within the hotbed of high school basketball.” ~ spoiled IU basketball fans (uttered here during the late ‘90’s as more and more fans began calling for Knight’s ouster)

A quarter century later and they’re still laughing up in West Laffy where they now play the way we once did. The only remnant of how we played hangs above in silence as dusty relics no longer seen swaying from the pride and passion of past glory.

Remember the IU administration announcing their desire to de-emphasize athletics in favor of academics? We are who they wanted us to be.

~ abraxis (uttered here during the the late ‘90’s as more and more IU fans began calling for Knight’s ouster)

“A lot of coaches can be as successful here with our blue blood tradition of excellence and location within the hotbed of high school basketball.” ~ spoiled IU basketball fans (uttered here during the late ‘90’s as more and more fans began calling for Knight’s ouster)

A quarter century later and they’re still laughing up in West Laffy where they now play the way we once did. The only remnant of how we played hangs above in silence as dusty relics no longer seen swaying from the pride and passion of past glory.

Remember the IU administration announcing their desire to de-emphasize athletics in favor of academics? We are who they wanted us to be.
What were we told about the water in Bloomington?

This little bridges on campus are quaint. If you look down what do you see? Is it a dried up creek bed, or is flowing like the mighty Jordan?

Academics haven’t improved.

I get more thankful by the year that I was alive and old enough to experience the vast majority of that. Even the late 90s to 2002. There’s not a true fan out there that wouldn’t prefer that to this…
Approaching a quarter century of fans that do not have a clue what we had.

It’s never coming back to that realm. The sad thing is a lot of people didn’t realize what they had.

There was a moment in 2005 when my cousin, who is a casual basketball fan, but a very, very smart person mentioned to me that we (fans) would rue the day we fired MD. At the time, it sounded like the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard ... have you watched the weave and heave? Sadly, I think he was right. Had MD not needed a heat shield to set foot in the building and been given 2-3 years to fix it, it could have been fixed with time and better assistants, the recruiting was there. I was wrong, but this situation is different. MD was fired because IU was becoming well, not RMK's IU, but that was a whole lot better than IU not looking like a D1 team with the talent we have, this is that and sorry to say I think Woodson needs to go. MD was doing on the job training, was the lowest paid coach in the big 10 and was trying and learning. Woodson is paid a king's ransom for much worse results, poor roster construction, and he doesn't want to learn anything, neither do the players, and it's time to part ways.

He's done.

There was a moment in 2005 when my cousin, who is a casual basketball fan, but a very, very smart person mentioned to me that we (fans) would rue the day we fired MD. At the time, it sounded like the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard ... have you watched the weave and heave? Sadly, I think he was right. Had MD not needed a heat shield to set foot in the building and been given 2-3 years to fix it, it could have been fixed with time and better assistants, the recruiting was there. I was wrong, but this situation is different. MD was fired because IU was becoming well, not RMK's IU, but that was a whole lot better than IU not looking like a D1 team with the talent we have, this is that and sorry to say I think Woodson needs to go. MD was doing on the job training, was the lowest paid coach in the big 10 and was trying and learning. Woodson is paid a king's ransom for much worse results, poor roster construction, and he doesn't want to learn anything, neither do the players, and it's time to part ways.
We're lucky DJ White broke his foot twice, or MD woulda been at IU 2 more years. But then again,
it wouldnt have changed things with Sampson

You have posted something like this before and I will say what I have said in the past - BS!

Even MD said he wasn't ready for a job like IU and he was in over his head.
I actually think IU did him a disservice by making him a permanent HC.

IU wasn't the only school to fire him so the discussion of whether he should have stayed at IU should end there.

But let's just look at his record.

Overall at IU he was 115–79 for a winning percentage of .593
At UAB he was better but was still fired. 122–73 - .626
Texas Southern 115–89 - .564
Detroit Mercy 59–102 - .366

For a total of 411–343 - .545
So essentially he loses half of this games.
Yea, great coach!

This is bittersweet.

Very saddened that you’ve joined the NNW&CC.

Relieved, however, that you’ve come out of the coma and are awake and coherent.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
This is bittersweet.

Very saddened that you’ve joined the NNW&CC.

Relieved, however, that you’ve come out of the coma and are awake and coherent.

Don't think I have joined any club and I wasn't in a coma! 😁

I REALLY wanted CMW to be successful and I think he did almost everything right - except win this year. If he would have taken last year and built on it, I wouldn't be off the band wagon.

I said all along that if he couldn't get this team, with it's talent in the top four of the BT then maybe he wasn't the guy. Now it would appear IU won't even make the tourney. That is just too much to ignore.

Also, when talking to friends, family and old college buddies, most used to live for IU Bball, now they don't care. The brand has been depleted too far and this year has accelerated the decline. Right or wrong CMD is the one driving the bus and time to change drivers in IU's quest to find a worthy replacement for RMK.

We're lucky DJ White broke his foot twice, or MD woulda been at IU 2 more years. But then again,
it wouldnt have changed things with Sampson
Before that injury happened, MD had IU coming, DJ was becoming unstoppable against good bigs in conference and things were headed in the right direction. It's worse now in every aspect

The last season that I really enjoyed a team for the Hoosiers was 2012. I was at the loss to Kentucky in Atlanta and I still homer believe that the bad foul calls on Zeller and Oladipo probably cost us that final four. I did go back to Atlanta for the final four weekend and did get to experience a national championship with my wife.

Her men's team Drury University won the 2012 championship for Division II. Since that time, it has been mostly heartache for our Hoosiers.

Reactions: bbafficionado

Academics not awful but not near where they were in the 80s. Even then (before the state cut appropriations massively) they knew how a top athletic program benefitted the entire university. We've never been UM but could you imagine UM saying something that stupid like the two are mutually exclusive.

Before that injury happened, MD had IU coming, DJ was becoming unstoppable against good bigs in conference and things were headed in the right direction. It's worse now in every aspect
Mike Davis is a nice guy but I would be careful to suggest that we somehow missed out on his coaching prowess. I think he was fired by UAB, got to some NCAAs first rounds at Tex So but has a .366 winning percentage at UD (despite his kid nearly becoming the NCAA all time scorer). We didn't do him or IU a service by hiring him post RMK.

Mike Davis is a nice guy but I would be careful to suggest that we somehow missed out on his coaching prowess. I think he was fired by UAB, got to some NCAAs first rounds at Tex So but has a .366 winning percentage at UD (despite his kid nearly becoming the NCAA all time scorer). We didn't do him or IU a service by hiring him post RMK.
Jeffries made Davis look good like TJD made Woody look good

But the presence of pride flags and BLM flags have
It's not that and it's not the politics and the whole knocking Bobby off his pedestal, removing the party school image Brand/McRobby initiative thing, make IU a better academic institution stuff. IU has a beautiful campus, but the idea of furthering IU as an academic institution to the detriment of its athletic programs is laughable. IU is and always has been, but for a handful of things, one of the lesser academic institutions in the conference. That we have a usually bad basketball team AND a historically bad football team is a bad athletic department thing, and all the passing the buck BS isn't going to change that. They all need to go or be removed from the decision making processes. Woody needs to resign, Dolson needs to do his job without his hands tied by Buckner or resign, and Buckner needs to let Dolson or whoever do their job, hire consulting firms, do proper hiring due diligence, etc. or resign. I respect Buckner, but he is one on the BOT, his title is not Basketball Czar

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
It’s clearly more than OK for Don to express his embarrassment… We have a defensive minded coach and the players can’t or won’t play defense consistently. … or play consistently overall. TJD made it happen last year with his leadership … we don’t have that this year.

Reactions: Spartans9312
It's not that and it's not the politics and the whole knocking Bobby off his pedestal, removing the party school image Brand/McRobby initiative thing, make IU a better academic institution stuff. IU has a beautiful campus, but the idea of furthering IU as an academic institution to the detriment of its athletic programs is laughable. IU is and always has been, but for a handful of things, one of the lesser academic institutions in the conference. That we have a usually bad basketball team AND a historically bad football team is a bad athletic department thing, and all the passing the buck BS isn't going to change that. They all need to go or be removed from the decision making processes. Woody needs to resign, Dolson needs to do his job without his hands tied by Buckner or resign, and Buckner needs to let Dolson or whoever do their job, hire consulting firms, do proper hiring due diligence, etc. or resign. I respect Buckner, but he is one on the BOT, his title is not Basketball Czar
IU has an odd culture for sure. I took my 11 year old son around campus and he was like “people are weird here”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT