ADVERTISEMENT

Presidential Medal of Freedom: Alan Page

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Lost in the various arguments about Trump making bad jokes and maybe giving an award to someone simply for being married to a big donor is the extraordinary life of someone who was certainly deserving of the award: Alan Page.

Page's football career alone was historic. While helping lead the Vikings to four Super Bowls and anchoring one of the greatest defenses in football history, he also became the first defensive player to win the MVP, a feat later matched by Lawrence Taylor. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1988, his second year of eligibility.

More impressive, however, was his life off the field. While he was playing for the Vikings, he was also attending law school at the University of Minnesota. After getting his JD, he worked at a Minneapolis law firm during the offseason, and then worked for the Minnesota Attorney General after retiring from football. He was elected to the Minnesota Supreme Court in 1992 (becoming the first African-American member of the court), where he served for over twenty years, until the mandatory retirement age crept up on him. While on the court, he developed a reputation for clear and concise writing, saying once that he believed it was important for legal opinions to be written in such a way that even non-lawyers could understand the law. When it came time for him to leave, he was the senior justice by over a decade, and the seventh-longest serving in the court's history, but he would stomach no formal send-off, instead accepting only a brief thank you and acknowledgment from the Chief Justice, and even then, probably only because Page hadn't been informed it was coming.

While doing this, he and his (recently passed) wife Diane established the Page Education Foundation, an ingenius scholarship fund that awards grants to students of color from Minnesota who stay in-state for their secondary college education, but only if those recipients pledge to perform community service in the form of mentoring other Minnesota children. To date, thousands of students have received the grants, and they have in turn performed hundreds of thousands of hours of community service, creating a self-sustaining feedback loop of educational opportunity and preparation.

Page was critical of Trump's campaign, but when he found out he was going to be awarded the Medal of Freedom, he declined to use the opportunity to make a political point. Instead, he simply stated that he and his wife had always tried to make the world better in whatever way they could, and he was happy and proud to accept the award in recognition of that.

Alan Page is the antithesis of the stereotypical spoiled athlete. He used his talents and good fortune to improve the world around him and provide opportunities to others in need. And he did so while maintaining a decorum and humility fitting for his status as both a jurist and a Medal of Freedom recipient.

Lost in the various arguments about Trump making bad jokes and maybe giving an award to someone simply for being married to a big donor is the extraordinary life of someone who was certainly deserving of the award: Alan Page.

Page's football career alone was historic. While helping lead the Vikings to four Super Bowls and anchoring one of the greatest defenses in football history, he also became the first defensive player to win the MVP, a feat later matched by Lawrence Taylor. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1988, his second year of eligibility.

More impressive, however, was his life off the field. While he was playing for the Vikings, he was also attending law school at the University of Minnesota. After getting his JD, he worked at a Minneapolis law firm during the offseason, and then worked for the Minnesota Attorney General after retiring from football. He was elected to the Minnesota Supreme Court in 1992 (becoming the first African-American member of the court), where he served for over twenty years, until the mandatory retirement age crept up on him. While on the court, he developed a reputation for clear and concise writing, saying once that he believed it was important for legal opinions to be written in such a way that even non-lawyers could understand the law. When it came time for him to leave, he was the senior justice by over a decade, and the seventh-longest serving in the court's history, but he would stomach no formal send-off, instead accepting only a brief thank you and acknowledgment from the Chief Justice, and even then, probably only because Page hadn't been informed it was coming.

While doing this, he and his (recently passed) wife Diane established the Page Education Foundation, an ingenius scholarship fund that awards grants to students of color from Minnesota who stay in-state for their secondary college education, but only if those recipients pledge to perform community service in the form of mentoring other Minnesota children. To date, thousands of students have received the grants, and they have in turn performed hundreds of thousands of hours of community service, creating a self-sustaining feedback loop of educational opportunity and preparation.

Page was critical of Trump's campaign, but when he found out he was going to be awarded the Medal of Freedom, he declined to use the opportunity to make a political point. Instead, he simply stated that he and his wife had always tried to make the world better in whatever way they could, and he was happy and proud to accept the award in recognition of that.

Alan Page is the antithesis of the stereotypical spoiled athlete. He used his talents and good fortune to improve the world around him and provide opportunities to others in need. And he did so while maintaining a decorum and humility fitting for his status as both a jurist and a Medal of Freedom recipient.
He also was the first African American to play at Notre Dame.

He is an extraordinary individual, one whom I have admired for a long time.

I remembered when he played. He was a great player and he’s led an extremely admirable life. He deserved the award.

I remembered when he played. He was a great player and he’s led an extremely admirable life. He deserved the award.

I do, too. He was a member of that stout Vikings defensive front four called the "Purple People Eaters." Trying to recall (without Google) who was the fourth player of that group with Carl Eller, Jim Marshall and Page. I should know, but I'm OLD.:(

Anyway, happy for Alan Page. Definitely deserving.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I do, too. He was a member of that stout Vikings defensive front four called the "Purple People Eaters." Trying to recall (without Google) who was the fourth player of that group with Carl Eller, Jim Marshall and Page. I should know, but I'm OLD.:(

Gary Larsen was the fourth.

As an aside, it's absolutely ridiculous that Marshall isn't in the HOF.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I'm too young to have seen the Purple People Eaters play. But I grew up hearing stories about them, usually in comparison to the players I watched as a kid, like Chris Doleman, Keith Millard, John Randle.

Some very good players as well. I'm old enough to have watched Alan Page play in Super Bowl IV vs KC.

Oh, hell! And in that great 1966 college "Game of the Century"........#1 Notre Dame v #2 Michigan State (Bubba Smith) ending in a highly controversial decision by the Irish to settle on the game ending in a 10-10 tie rather than chance going for a TD to win, thus assuring them of being crowned National Champions. Great game, regardless.

I'm old enough to have watched every Super Bowl. This explains why I was a Packer fan as a little boy. And really, how do you root against a team that's owned by its fans?
It's not really, though. It's owned by a non-profit that is supposed to represent the fans, but the fans can't buy in. They can't be part of it. They can buy fake stock certificates that don't mean anything. That's it.

I'm old enough to have watched every Super Bowl. This explains why I was a Packer fan as a little boy. And really, how do you root against a team that's owned by its fans?

I've watched them all, too, fish. And I've been a die-hard Packers fan as well beginning around '60 when I was eleven :( NO team jerseys to purchase back then, so us "sandlotters" had to improvise to "show the flag" so-to-speak, for our favorite team via colored "magic" markers on a sweatshirt. Growing up in west central Indiana (Bears country), I must have had a death wish to want to scroll the name "PACKERS" and the #5 in green and yellow on my sweatshirt. As the lone Green Bay fan in my neighbourhood, I sure took a lot of "late" hits.;) But ahh, those times are treasured memories. Now! Is it past time to FIRE "McDouble" as HC up there?

Page is amazing and deserving. More of us need his values and civility. A model for all. Making an impact doesn’t always have to be protesting and yelling and screaming at people you disagree with.

One of my favorite players of all time was Joe Kapp, the Vikings QB for a few seasons as the team rose to be a dominating force. He is also the Curt Flood of the NFL. When I was a young whippersnapper lawyer, I remember talking about one of his games in our firm meeting and our senior partner commenting how Kapp would have been a good lawyer, very competent, very smart, very humble, very aggressive, and made better by taking a hit.

You guys are old! ;) I can remember seeing players from the 90's.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan

Great story...

Also, Da Bears!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT