ADVERTISEMENT

What even is freedom?

toastedbread

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2006
There is presently a great infatuation with the word freedom. If we are unable to safely walk outside in any major American city at 3 am precisely how free are we? The right to free movement is even more basic than the right to free speech. If you are unable to safely transit to the place that you wish to speak you have no freedom. In the current security environment, there must be a balance between safety/"freedom". I am ok with sacrificing certain rights until we are living in a secure environment. I want my public officials to take seriously their oaths to protect the public. If strong arm policing is required, then so be it. If martial law is required, then so be it. Our public officials do not take seriously public safety.

Reactions: DANC
Crime went down from the 70s to the 80s
then went down more from the 80s to the 90s
then went down more from the 90s to the 00s
then went down more from the 00s to the 10s

It is on a recent uptick for sure. Is it back like the 70s? No.

There's no need to change our longing for liberty to combat what is likely a short term trend that appeals to hysteria of "the country is going to hell". It isn't.

There's no need to change our longing for liberty to combat what is likely a short term trend that appeals to hysteria of "the country is going to hell". It isn't.
When I travel in Asia I do not need to think twice about my surroundings. I recently took a trip to NYC. We are contemplating moving there at some point in the mid-term. I saw people openly defecating on the subway, vomiting, making animal noises, etc. I saw every bodily fluid imaginable. I don't care what the statistics show, but there is no comfort of safety. This is happening across America. This isn't hysteria. I want safety in this country and I am happy to accept restrictions until we have a safe enough country where I can walk anywhere at 3 am and not have to worry about my surroundings. That is actual freedom to me, and not the right to bear arms or blockade streets without permits.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC

those who feel safer walking down an inner city street at night today than in the 70s or 80s, haven't walked down many inner city streets today or back then.

those who feel safer walking down an inner city street at night today than in the 70s or 80s, haven't walked down many inner city streets today or back then.
I wanna take shelter from the poison rain
Where the streets have no name

When I travel in Asia I do not need to think twice about my surroundings. I recently took a trip to NYC. We are contemplating moving there at some point in the mid-term. I saw people openly defecating on the subway, vomiting, making animal noises, etc. I saw every bodily fluid imaginable. I don't care what the statistics show, but there is no comfort of safety. This is happening across America. This isn't hysteria. I want safety in this country and I am happy to accept restrictions until we have a safe enough country where I can walk anywhere at 3 am and not have to worry about my surroundings. That is actual freedom to me, and not the right to bear arms or blockade streets without permits.
part of the problem is freedom, and multiculturalism, people are free to be assholes and face very few repercussions for doing so. Then you have a segment of criminals that scream racism every time they feel wronged. America is going downhill fast, and most of the populace spend their days like zombies getting whipped up in a frenzy about irrelevant shit. Hilary Clinton, love her or hate her was defeated 6 years ago yet we still drudge up her name daily. we need to turn the police loose while we still have police.

Muricans are gonna Murica. Been the same for 60+ years. Sounds like you better move to Asia.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Franklin 1755
or my signature quote below
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
(I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.)
- Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, January 30, 1787.

Kind of an ironic statement, knowing what we now know about his own slaveholding status...At the very least, he was extremely selective regarding who he shared freedom with...

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
(I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.)
- Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, January 30, 1787.

Kind of an ironic statement, knowing what we now know about his own slaveholding status...At the very least, he was extremely selective regarding who he shared freedom with...
Slaveholding was dangerous freedom, you never knew when the slaves would piss in your soup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT