ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Players IU is Pursuing

Dexter Dennis shot 29% from the three last season and while he had previous seasons at a higher percentage, the trend was down over his four years at Wichita State. Nnot sure we need another guy who can't shoot the three. Maybe another Evan Fitzner? Kopp also had a three point percentage trend down.
Both of those last two guys are defensive players first and foremost. Fitzner was a shooter, before he got here. Those guys were never shooters/scorers.

I think meant to reply to Hatchet.
I'm not slamming Woodson..
But I'll stand by.. He's shown me so far to be just slightly above avge..
I'm giving him another yr...To either go all in.
Or look elsewhere soon...
5 yrs for him would be long to me..

• Haha
Reactions: rocketo

What you talking about Willis?
You truly have no idea what we have in Woody do you?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Is the delay in adding someone from the Portal because we are still waiting to see what TJD and RT are going to do?
Dead period until today. So I think a kid could transfer in I don't think he could visit until now. I think you should see a lot of kids pick next week. Pack and Llewellyn are up in WL for example.

Portal Schmortal, not gonna get much in my opinion. Kopp and Durr are proof of that.
Michigan State is trying to take your route. I think Izzo is trying to go against the grain of building from within in hopes that it translates to better teams. So far....results for them have been meh.

With players now staying in college longer, the game is going to have better quality based on consistently having more veteran teams. The portal is becoming more vital than high school recruits.

Oh boy. Won’t he be excited that you are giving him another year since he only took a team that hadn’t made the tourney in any recent year until the first year he took over…

Is the delay in adding someone from the Portal because we are still waiting to see what TJD and RT are going to do?

That must be a big part of it. Plus, consider how many other schools have kids in the same situation as TJD. Other dominoes then may fall as well. Is a player like JG waiting to see what TJD does before deciding to enter portal? Hope not in his case, but point is a lot of chips are still left to fall. I would think most of the top kids in the portal would want to wait until the deadline to withdraw from the draft passes (June 1st). Seems the teams would prefer to wait until then as well, unless a really big-time player wants to commit.

Oh boy. Won’t he be excited that you are giving him another year since he only took a team that hadn’t made the tourney in any recent year until the first year he took over…

Agreed. Team certainly had its flaws, but he got them playing much better defense (never understood the pack-line) and the O looked good at times but had some ill-fitting parts. Has to be tough for a first-year coach to implement his system with players the last coach recruited and (in this case) whatever he can scrounge late from the portal. Great sign to hear how well he's spoken of by NBA players and coaches. Recruits have to be impacted by that.

Good times ahead

If BOTH TJD and Race leave...then I think we have to go after someone that can defend and rebound B10 level bigs. There will still be some pretty solid bigs to contend with in the conference in Cockburn, Dickinson, Edey, etc...

Assuming at least one of them comes back though, as I've stated before, we need to go after the best all around, strongest, most physical 6'4 to 6'8 wings we can find. Obviously if they can hit outside shots, that'd be very helpful too.

Lots of "Ifs" here...but not too far of a reach I don't think

IF:

-Race or TJD anchoring the post
-Transfer 6'5-6'7 ish versatile, strong, football player looking wing that can hit shots
-Xavier comes back with his head on straight like he finished the year
-JHS shows what he showed against elite HS competition (solid all around, physical, PG)
-Tamar and Jordan both progress

We'll easily be upper half of the B10...with a chance to compete up for a title maybe.

-If both TJD and Race are back, depending on how they're used, it takes the team above and makes it a legit B10 title contender
-If either or both of Gunn or Banks come in and contribute more than expected, above the rest of the stuff already mentioned, it makes us a Final Four capable team.

Whether or not we actually fullfill any of the lofty things we'll be capable of, will depend on whether we figure out how to put teams away and/or win close games.
There is no way this team sniffs the final four with race as post.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Agreed. Team certainly had its flaws, but he got them playing much better defense (never understood the pack-line) and the O looked good at times but had some ill-fitting parts. Has to be tough for a first-year coach to implement his system with players the last coach recruited and (in this case) whatever he can scrounge late from the portal. Great sign to hear how well he's spoken of by NBA players and coaches. Recruits have to be impacted by that.

Good times ahead
The Pack line is the perfect B1G ten defense. Wisconsin and Michigan state play versions of it. Grind you and beat you up. It’s hard to win the NCAA tournament with it. Leaves perimeter shots open. I hate it. Hate watching it too.

Reactions: go_iu
The Pack line is the perfect B1G ten defense. Wisconsin and Michigan state play versions of it. Grind you and beat you up. It’s hard to win the NCAA tournament with it. Leaves perimeter shots open. I hate it. Hate watching it too.
We kept hearing how great the pack line was, and Viriginia has seemed to play a heckuva version of it. Our version always looked to me like the "dare you to hit open 3s" defense.

We kept hearing how great the pack line was, and Viriginia has seemed to play a heckuva version of it. Our version always looked to me like the "dare you to hit open 3s" defense.
Virginia has always needed to have elite perimeter defenders to make their pack line work. Without those defenders, Virginia's defense was nothing special. And even when they had those defenders, they were still susceptible to getting torched from 3 from time to time (*cough* UMBC)

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
They all allow 3s. It’s the close outs we struggled with. Wisconsins version extends out a little more. Virginia is the classic version. So yes it is a percentage game playing the packline.

Virginia has always needed to have elite perimeter defenders to make their pack line work. Without those defenders, Virginia's defense was nothing special. And even when they had those defenders, they were still susceptible to getting torched from 3 from time to time (*cough* UMBC)
Wisconsin lost in the finals because of that. I seriously doubt another team wins the tournament playing a classic pack defense. Especially with where the 3 point line is.

Good times ahead
It sure seems so. Better than the last coach already. So at least there’s that…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT