ADVERTISEMENT

any Ivy League BB experts here? in the transfer portal

welshman#

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2001
(if I'm reading it correctly) it appears that about half of Cornell's roster is in there, including multiple "point guards." Are any of their players potential B1G 10 caliber? Gotta wonder about their coach if that many players entered the portal-jeez.

also a young 6' 5" point guard from Tulsa (SIAP) Chauncey Gibson-haven't seen him play so no idea if he'd be worth a look by the staff. And on TOS the portal lists a Baylor point guard (Dantwan Grimes iirc)--I wonder if he'd be worth a look (assuming he actually is in the portal)?

I don't know shit about Cornell basketball. and never will. there you go bailey you've exposed me.
You will see a lot of IVY league kids in the portal again this year. I believe it is a conference rule that you can not play as a grad student UNLESS you graduate before your 8 semesters are up. With this years seniors being the last group to get a COVID year, I would assume that we will see a lot of grad xfers out of the IVY once again. That said they did go 11-3 in the IVY, lost to Princeton twice and beat Harvard easier than we did, so they have some talent there

(if I'm reading it correctly) it appears that about half of Cornell's roster is in there, including multiple "point guards." Are any of their players potential B1G 10 caliber? Gotta wonder about their coach if that many players entered the portal-jeez.

also a young 6' 5" point guard from Tulsa (SIAP) Chauncey Gibson-haven't seen him play so no idea if he'd be worth a look by the staff. And on TOS the portal lists a Baylor point guard (Dantwan Grimes iirc)--I wonder if he'd be worth a look (assuming he actually is in the portal)?
Cmon man. Do a bunch of research and get back to us. We need better intel than just throwing out names. Woody’s too tired to recruit and we’re too tired to do it for him!

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Seriously though, I remember posting Harvard’s PG would have made a huge difference on this year’s IU team. Has he portaled yet?

Normally yes, but it covers redshirt years and recently the COVID years which is why so many are transferring from the IVY recently
thx figured Covid year makes this more relevant for now. And I guess a redshirt 4th year student could transfer for final season without meeting enough credit hrs to graduate. Seems like a stretch of the old "grad transfer" idea...I always assumed the word "graduate" implied they had actually....graduated.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
thx figured Covid year makes this more relevant for now. And I guess a redshirt 4th year student could transfer for final season without meeting enough credit hrs to graduate. Seems like a stretch of the old "grad transfer" idea...I always assumed the word "graduate" implied they had actually....graduated.
Yep, but if you are a medical redshirt and play 3, injured 4th and graduate, you can not play your 5th without a xfer. At least that is how I read and interpret the IVY league rules

Seriously though, I remember posting Harvard’s PG would have made a huge difference on this year’s IU team. Has he portaled yet?
Problem is if he does, EVERYONE will be on him. He’ll end up at Kansas or Carolina or somewhere like that.

Woodys demonstrated style of play is going to hurt us in the portal races for kids that can go anywhere. He’s going to have to scour and find the high level kids that are flying under the radar a little bit.

Good news is there will literally be dozens of them. He can get some good guards. He should.

Turned on my first lower level conference championship game. And it took me about 3 seconds to see a kid that would be our best guard, possible best player. Zeke Mayo for SDSU.

There are literally probably a hundred guys out there. Go get 2-3 of them Woody…damn it.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Turned on my first lower level conference championship game. And it took me about 3 seconds to see a kid that would be our best guard, possible best player. Zeke Mayo for SDSU.

There are literally probably a hundred guys out there. Go get 2-3 of them Woody…damn it.
If what was “peddled” about X and Trey returning scaring guys away, are we looking at that scenario again now that Trey is coming back?

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure they even allow medical redshirts in the Ivy

Yep, but if you are a medical redshirt and play 3, injured 4th and graduate, you can not play your 5th without a xfer. At least that is how I read and interpret the IVY league rules
read this article just now. So basically the Ivy league is not acknowledging the Covid rule. If you have your degree, and you were here for Covid and c/y 2020, your done here? This Ivy league situation will go away shortly once the "Covid year" angle runs it course over the next year or two.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/rep...-penn-graduate-transfer-guard-clark-slajchert

If what was “peddled” about X and Trey returning scaring guys away, are we looking at that scenario again now that Trey is coming back?
I would hope not. But who knows.

Woody is going to have to, in words and in action, change his style of play. If he doesn't, or isn't planning to, and just thinks it'll "naturally happen" with different players... Then none of this discussion matters.

I would hope not. But who knows.

Woody is going to have to, in words and in action, change his style of play. If he doesn't, or isn't planning to, and just thinks it'll "naturally happen" with different players... Then none of this discussion matters.
oh the analogies...

a tiger can't change his stripes
can't teach an old dog new tricks

This is why McN backed out. And why Knecht never bothered to visit Btown. CMW has his work cut out for him in the portal. Plus the 'coach on the hot seat' image can't help the cause. Color me skeptical at best.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
oh the analogies...

a tiger can't change his stripes
can't teach an old dog new tricks

This is why McN backed out. And why Knecht never bothered to visit Btown. CMW has his work cut out for him in the portal. Plus the 'coach on the hot seat' image can't help the cause. Color me skeptical at best.
A hypothetical portal player with one year left might not care as much about the "coach on the hot seat" if the opportunity is good for him in other respects. But Woodson will need to make a convincing case that he'll change his style of play, if that is what is keeping them away.

Problem is if he does, EVERYONE will be on him. He’ll end up at Kansas or Carolina or somewhere like that.

Woodys demonstrated style of play is going to hurt us in the portal races for kids that can go anywhere. He’s going to have to scour and find the high level kids that are flying under the radar a little bit.

Good news is there will literally be dozens of them. He can get some good guards. He should.
Smash Bill Murray GIF by Laff

There were two Cornell basketball scouts next to me at the Center Grove v. Brownsburg game a few weeks ago. They appeared to be interested in Jordan Lomax. He's a 6'3" wing. Probably not B10 caliber, but might be an adequate gap filler at Cornell if they're losing guards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT