ADVERTISEMENT

Politico: 14th Amendment and Trump...

She's a 'who' who never saw Luke Brown play, yet spent three years beating the Premie over the head with his big fish in a small pond disposition.

Said it many times in real times, it wasn't Luke's fault Lucy was speaking crazy.
Danc was premie was Lucy too?

Danc was premie was Lucy too?
Yes, as was another poster, who complained to one of the staffers, who asked me to unban him. I said no, and he threatened 'retribution'. His word choice.

I was banned once two days before Knight was fired. I didn't complain.

Old dudes can't handle it I guess.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Don't get too caught up in "the original constitution" or what the Founding Fathers thought about it. It's not like that any more.

We live in times in which the Second Amendment's is used to support wide open gun ownership ostensibly for "personal protection" (which is not mentioned in the text) and without any restriction to a "well regulated militia" (which actually is mentioned in the text).

And, the founding fathers considered the voters in presidential elections to be only the electors, not the citizens. I couldn't find a link but I've read that all of Washington's electors were chosen by state legislatures.
It’s obvious many of you have never read the Federalist Papers, founding father’s parallel writings, etc that would tell you their exact thoughts on these issues. To say we can’t know what they were thinking is ludicrous. Yes, we can - they told us.

Or, would you rather us follow your line of thinking?

Remember when California tried to make disclosure of income tax returns a requirement to be on the ballot? The courts shot that down. The requirements for president are defined by the constitution. Period.
How dare you use the Constitution as your basis for American Law.

That wouldn't work in a lot of states. This is why we need clearer federal election laws, instead of 52 sets of rules.

I don't see it happening unless he's convicted.
Many of you will recognize the author’s name

Reactions: UncleMark
That wouldn't work in a lot of states. This is why we need clearer federal election laws, instead of 52 sets of rules.
No. Wrong direction. Misunderstanding of the Founder’s thinking and the development of the Electoral College. It’s actually the exact opposite of yours.

No. Wrong direction. Misunderstanding of the Founder’s thinking and the development of the Electoral College. It’s actually the exact opposite of yours.
There were 13 states. They couldn't agree on if only landowners should vote, let alone freed blacks. And women? LOL

They didn't trust the individual voter, let alone the collective will of the people. They care about the will of those like them.

I'm going to take a pass on any notion they had forethought on what voting was like as grew to 50 states, with 52 sets of voting rules. I'm not arguing against the electoral college, but we don't need state legislators determining how votes for federal offices are cast, collected and counted and whether or not a felon should be able to run for President.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Many of you will recognize the author’s name

Still have a hard time seeing any of it flying w/o an applicable conviction or pleading.

I somewhat expect him to plead out of jail time in agreement to not run. His reasoning for not doing that would be to avoid future legal issues, but unless he plans on dying in office, those charges can still find him after he would be done in 2029.

It’s obvious many of you have never read the Federalist Papers, founding father’s parallel writings, etc that would tell you their exact thoughts on these issues. To say we can’t know what they were thinking is ludicrous. Yes, we can - they told us.

Or, would you rather us follow your line of thinking?
I would rather you quote something out of the Federalist Papers that proves me wrong rather than just act like I'm wrong.

Of course the Federalist Papers are not law, but I'd still like to see if you can do it.

Still have a hard time seeing any of it flying w/o an applicable conviction or pleading.

I somewhat expect him to plead out of jail time in agreement to not run. His reasoning for not doing that would be to avoid future legal issues, but unless he plans on dying in office, those charges can still find him after he would be done in 2029.
1. a plea deal not to run cannot happen. that would not be enforceable under a host of legal issues.
2. a conviction isn't necessary. now as a practical matter state folks may be too spooked to do it w/o same but legally it isn't necessary

1. a plea deal not to run cannot happen. that would not be enforceable under a host of legal issues.
2. a conviction isn't necessary. now as a practical matter state folks may be too spooked to do it w/o same but legally it isn't necessary
Most of the Confederate leaders were never convicted, right? The 14th took effect without any required legal proceeding.

1) Depends on if any mandated minimums of his felony charges. (I haven't read all the indictments of the two cases actually involving the election.)

2) I don't know who makes the case, but I can absolutely see them believing it's self-enacting. However, that would then end up with SCOTUS, and some of those guys don't want their paid vacations and travel to go away.

Most of the Confederate leaders were never convicted, right? The 14th took effect without any required legal proceeding.
According to the article, they were pardoned, but the 14th was past without the Southern states. They had to ratify it go get back in the Union.

The mechanics of how the 14th came about and applied in short order was the most fascinating part of the article.

1) Depends on if any mandated minimums of his felony charges. (I haven't read all the indictments of the two cases actually involving the election.)

2) I don't know who makes the case, but I can absolutely see them believing it's self-enacting. However, that would then end up with SCOTUS, and some of those guys don't want their paid vacations and travel to go away.
1) no has nothing to do with that. a judge can require other sentencing obligations but they can't be political. that would be political/public, would disenfranchise state voters, on and on. that can't be part of a plea deal

Last edited:

Sure it would, as a condition of probation. They can make you jump through all kinds of hoops if you want to stay out of jail. Fines and jail time are the only actual penalties that can be legally imposed -- everything else is a condition of probation.

Sure it would, as a condition of probation. They can make you jump through all kinds of hoops if you want to stay out of jail. Fines and jail time are the only actual penalties that can be legally imposed -- everything else is a condition of probation.
they can make you stand in front of target with a sign that says i stole from here. they can make you pick shit up on the side of a highway. they cannot make you agree not to run for office. that's a term that would be unenforceable. against public policy etc

they can make you stand in front of target with a sign that says i stole from here. they can make you pick shit up on the side of a highway. they cannot make you agree not to run for office. that's a term that would be unenforceable. against public policy etc

Since IANAL I won't argue with you, but I still think you're wrong.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I don't know what she's like over here.

She got banned for effectively the same thing DANC did. She had a post pulled (not in a discussion with me), had a hissy fit and reposted it. Deleted it and gave her a topic ban, then she started a new topic about it. Vacation.

I would think people would sense a pattern. You start doubling down pulled post and carrying it across multiple topics...you need a break.
He….or maybe we should use they to be certain. And to trigger people.

It pains me to admit it, but McM is right on this one. Besides public policy grounds, it's loaded with separation of powers issues.

If you say so, but...

But that would only apply if a "not running" condition was imposed and then challenged. If Trump agreed to that condition, then he wouldn't be able to challenge it. And technically, while there's definitely some coercion involved, conditions of probation are agreed upon. Don't like the conditions, then do the time.

If you say so, but...

But that would only apply if a "not running" condition was imposed and then challenged. If Trump agreed to that condition, then he wouldn't be able to challenge it. And technically, while there's definitely some coercion involved, conditions of probation are agreed upon. Don't like the conditions, then do the time.
No bc that portion would be void and unenforceable by the court

For the reasons goat and I said re public policy and separation of powers etc. so in your hypo I think trump could enter a plea deal and as an added condition agree to not run and then immediately run and there would be nothing the court could do to stop him as it relates to the plea agreement

For the reasons goat and I said re public policy and separation of powers etc. so in your hypo I think trump could enter a plea deal and as an added condition agree to not run and then immediately run and there would be nothing the court could do to stop him as it relates to the plea agreement

But his probation could be revoked, right?

But his probation could be revoked, right?
I had a few drinks and am foggy. Trying to get you to understand. Say I made a contract with you to kill goat. If you kill goat I’ll pay you ten grand. You kill goat and come to collect and I say F off. I’m not paying you. You can’t go to court and sue me for breach. The agreement was never enforceable

If you say so, but...

I don't know the answer, but I found 28 USC 3563(b)(6), which says a court may impose conditions of probation under certain conditions requiring a defendant to:

"(6) refrain, in the case of an individual, from engaging in a specified occupation, business, or profession bearing a reasonably direct relationship to the conduct constituting the offense, or engage in such a specified occupation, business, or profession only to a stated degree or under stated circumstances."

The instructions for the federal probation forms state:

Under 18 U.S.C. § 3563(b)(5), the court may provide that the defendant “refrain, in the case of an individual, from engaging in a specified occupation, business, or profession bearing a reasonably direct relationship to the conduct constituting the offense, or engage in such a specified occupation, business, or profession only to a stated degree or under stated circumstances.”

It states the purpose as, "
  1. This condition serves the statutory sentencing purposes of public protection. 18 U.S.C. § 3553(a)(2)(C). Defendants may be prohibited from working in certain industries (e.g., financial, medical, legal) to prevent future criminal offenses.
I'm sure the inquiry goes further than this, but it's interesting to think about what occupations, businesses or professions would bear "a reasonably direct relationship to the conduct constituting the offense," when the offense relates to illegal efforts to retain employment in an office by overturning an election.

Reactions: UncleMark
I had a few drinks and am foggy. Trying to get you to understand. Say I made a contract with you to kill goat. If you kill goat I’ll pay you ten grand. You kill goat and come to collect and I say F off. I’m not paying you. You can’t go to court and sue me for breach. The agreement was never enforceable

You assume that 1) you'd have to pay me, and 2) I'd trust you to pay without getting money up front.

I don't know the answer, but I found 28 USC 3563(b)(6), which says a court may impose conditions of probation under certain conditions requiring a defendant to:

"(6) refrain, in the case of an individual, from engaging in a specified occupation, business, or profession bearing a reasonably direct relationship to the conduct constituting the offense, or engage in such a specified occupation, business, or profession only to a stated degree or under stated circumstances."

Under 18 U.S.C. § 3563(b)(5), the court may provide that the defendant “refrain, in the case of an individual, from engaging in a specified occupation, business, or profession bearing a reasonably direct relationship to the conduct constituting the offense, or engage in such a specified occupation, business, or profession only to a stated degree or under stated circumstances.”

1. This condition serves the statutory sentencing purposes of public protection. 18 U.S.C. § 3553(a)(2)(C). Defendants may be prohibited from working in certain industries (e.g., financial, medical, legal) to prevent future criminal offenses.
I'm sure the inquiry goes further than this, but it's interesting to think about what occupations, businesses or professions would bear "a reasonably direct relationship to the conduct constituting the offense," when the offense relates to illegal efforts to retain employment in an office by overturning an election.
There’s a private public distinction. As well as third party contemplation. Judge could tell a Ponzi scheme guy he is prohibited from raising money or something. Can’t tell a politician not to run for elected office

You two should stop playing law

There’s a private public distinction. As well as third party contemplation. Judge could tell a Ponzi scheme guy he is prohibited from raising money or something. Can’t tell a politician not to run for elected office

You two should stop playing law
You're guessing too.

Correct. But I have better instincts
Thinking about this stuff is still more productive than thinking about Ohio State v. Indiana.

I know bankers and brokers that got in legal trouble have been barred from engaging in those businesses in the future but I don't know the legal mechanism. I couldn't find any examples of Senators or Reps getting banned from office but I don't have a good research account.

Maybe Jack Smith will do this research for us some day.

Thinking about this stuff is still more productive than thinking about Ohio State v. Indiana.

I know bankers and brokers that got in legal trouble have been barred from engaging in those businesses in the future but I don't know the legal mechanism. I couldn't find any examples of Senators or Reps getting banned from office but I don't have a good research account.

Maybe Jack Smith will do this research for us some day.
Cooler weather. Farmers markets. Pumpkins. Octoberfest beers. Fall soccer and football. First day of the best two months of the year

I'm going to throw Mark a bone here. This couldn't be part of a plea, but it might be possible to make it part of a non prosecution agreement. Keeps the court out of it. I still wouldn't recommend it, but if the real goal of the DOJ was to keep him from running (it's not), that might be an avenue to explore.

Wouldn't we presume as well that on probation, he wouldn't be allowed to leave his state of residence?

Another aspect would be home detention.

Trump's priorities are:

1) Power
2) Staying out of prison/jail

Now, those two could weave in and out based on the week and information his attorneys and he have, but I'd say he's drifted deeply toward #2 at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT