ADVERTISEMENT

Players "opting out"

Coopster

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2001
Chandler, Az
A second IU women's player opts out. Danielle Patterson joins Jaylen Penn who opted out. I'm not clear on what this actually means? So, the player just decides to not finish the season either due to some injury or lack of playing time, etc. Are they welcomed back next year? Does this open a scholarship? I see where a 5 star freshmen from Duke opts out for his future. Seems to me he is quitting on his team! Can someone explain this new situation? Is there significantly more to this than I seeing?

A second IU women's player opts out. Danielle Patterson joins Jaylen Penn who opted out. I'm not clear on what this actually means? So, the player just decides to not finish the season either due to some injury or lack of playing time, etc. Are they welcomed back next year? Does this open a scholarship? I see where a 5 star freshmen from Duke opts out for his future. Seems to me he is quitting on his team! Can someone explain this new situation? Is there significantly more to this than I seeing?
You figured it out. PC way of saying i am quitting.

You figured it out. PC way of saying i am quitting.
2 totally different scenarios, and I can understand either. I'm not faulting anyone if they don't feel safe with covid. You've always got to put your own personal well-being first and this really freaks some people out. I said it early on and stand by it: I think teachers and college and pro athletes who are still playing should be allowed to get the vaccine. College players with all the schools and sports might skew #s and just not be realistic to do, but pros I think should be able to get it if they want it and that would be relatively few people, and I'm sure there would be bitching, but I'd be OK restricting it to D1 athletes. I just think there are many people's livelihoods affected by this and it makes economic sense. I also think there's some benefit to providing a distraction and sense of normalcy to the country that these sports and an NCAA tournament provides.

The guys who abandon their team during a bowl, playoff or tourney appearance I have a harder time with, but still, there are millions of dollars on the line for some of them, so while I might not like it, I can understand it.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
What about teams opting out? This was a recent round table discussion on espn.

Should a team opt out of their conference tournament, citing safety, knowing that they will then participate in the NCAAs? What if Michigan decides to “pause” things, content to sit on their 1 seed? Things could get really interesting- if you like controversy. What happened with OSU in football doesn’t even scratch the surface of the iceberg that could be in our viewing future.

The Duke kids opting out is trying to preserve that lottery pick that is expected. He only had one really good game & that was against Copping St or some small school. Since then, yes he was out injured, he has not looked good. The more he plays like he has, the more his stock will fall, so best to stay out of the limelight & hope to get paid.

The Duke kids opting out is trying to preserve that lottery pick that is expected. He only had one really good game & that was against Copping St or some small school. Since then, yes he was out injured, he has not looked good. The more he plays like he has, the more his stock will fall, so best to stay out of the limelight & hope to get paid.
Is this the only time he has quit? Dakich said he quit a couple of other teams too. it really is true that when you start quitting it gets easier down the road.

Reactions: Hoosier in SC

Maybe they don't want to entertain you during a pandemic?

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
What about teams opting out? This was a recent round table discussion on espn.

Should a team opt out of their conference tournament, citing safety, knowing that they will then participate in the NCAAs? What if Michigan decides to “pause” things, content to sit on their 1 seed? Things could get really interesting- if you like controversy. What happened with OSU in football doesn’t even scratch the surface of the iceberg that could be in our viewing future.
Yes, but they're not gladiators. They probably have better inside info into COVID risk than the general public. I totally get it. What don't you get? The ONLY reason they are even trying to play this season is for $$$. I wouldn't blame kids that have bigger plans and dreams that didn't work to not want COVID to amuse the masses, and especially not if they already know they're not going to the tourney

• Wow
Reactions: jimmygoiu
I'm not a fan of opting out, particularly in bowl games or in the NIT. Quitting the team? Fine, just don't expect much as an alum.

I posted something about this several weeks ago. If a Player has an underlying physical condition like asthma or other respiratory or immune system problem and they don't want to take the risk that wearing down over a long season of games, travel, and practice combined with everything else makes them more susceptible to COVID, that's an opt out. If you have someone who started the season and due to their health conditions finds that they are wearing down more than they anticipated, fine, that's another form of opt out. If you have a Player who has to leave temporarily due to the health condition of a family member or family funeral, that is an authorized leave of absence.
Anything else in my mind is quitting for one reason or another, no matter how the PC people spin it. By the way does quitting entitle you to receive a participation trophy?

Another comment on this- as a player, you do what the team asks you to do. Play when they say play, sit when they say sit, etc.
It isn't a personal choice unless you want to be a regular student like all the other paying smucks who don't get free stuff.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
2 totally different scenarios, and I can understand either. I'm not faulting anyone if they don't feel safe with covid. You've always got to put your own personal well-being first and this really freaks some people out. I said it early on and stand by it: I think teachers and college and pro athletes who are still playing should be allowed to get the vaccine. College players with all the schools and sports might skew #s and just not be realistic to do, but pros I think should be able to get it if they want it and that would be relatively few people, and I'm sure there would be bitching, but I'd be OK restricting it to D1 athletes. I just think there are many people's livelihoods affected by this and it makes economic sense. I also think there's some benefit to providing a distraction and sense of normalcy to the country that these sports and an NCAA tournament provides.

The guys who abandon their team during a bowl, playoff or tourney appearance I have a harder time with, but still, there are millions of dollars on the line for some of them, so while I might not like it, I can understand it.
The covid rates have been decreasing as the season goes along. That's a lame BS excuse. Do you think he would "opt out" if Duke was ranked number 3 in the nation and fighting for an ACC title? He's quitting period.

IMO, opting out of bowl games is no big deal if not playing in college playoffs. The kid has likely finished the fall semester and has left the school to workout for the NFL. Teams often use bowls as stepping stones to getting ready for next season so probably not so concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT