ADVERTISEMENT

Per Bozich....

Sorry i just do not get it. with IUs recruiting budget , facilities , tradition and following . if Crean had missed on Indiana boys, their should of been an out of state stud waiting to take his place.

Seems like Crean has lost all relationships with in state coaches and talent. thats ok in a lot of States. but when your state is one of the hottest for young talent. then its a big issue.

You said it yourself 1987.

Take off Isiah (from Chicago) does Indiana win?
Take off Scott May (from Sandusky) does Indiana win?

Is it possible the first four teams had more IU players because people didn't go so far from home at that time and Indiana was the state school. I bet Purdue has had more Indiana kids on their good teams too.

The funny thing is I bet they have had more Indiana kids on their bad teams too over the years.

Ok.....

How about the 1993 final four? Nah....too many Indiana kids to name.

How about the 2002 national title game team? Jeffries, Odle, Coverdale

How about that 2007 team that went 19-1 to start season? Gordon?

How about those back to back sweet 16s for Crean? Zeller Hulls ?

How about last year? Yogi? Hartman?

How about this year? Blackmon jr?

It's simple.....name all the out of state 5 stars the last 20 years compared to in state and compare thier success.

In state talent is the life blood of this program. Anyone that doesn't think so hasn't been an IU fan long.

Sorry i just do not get it. with IUs recruiting budget , facilities , tradition and following . if Crean had missed on Indiana boys, their should of been an out of state stud waiting to take his place.

Seems like Crean has lost all relationships with in state coaches and talent. thats ok in a lot of States. but when your state is one of the hottest for young talent. then its a big issue.

A UK agrees....great. :)

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Ok.....

How about the 1993 final four? Nah....too many Indiana kids to name.

How about the 2002 national title game team? Jeffries, Odle, Coverdale

How about that 2007 team that went 19-1 to start season? Gordon?

How about those back to back sweet 16s for Crean? Zeller Hulls ?

How about last year? Yogi? Hartman?

How about this year? Blackmon jr?

It's simple.....name all the out of state 5 stars the last 20 years compared to in state and compare thier success.

In state talent is the life blood of this program. Anyone that doesn't think so hasn't been an IU fan long.
Forgot Elston also

I already said the HOF coaches would not go for 0-4 and if you read the whole thread you would have seen that.
You're impossible . . .

Ok, HOW MANY would Alford, Mack or Sean Miller get? Alford and Mack already are getting one, and Miller is already getting a top 10 recruit.

But history shows Indiana has had their greatest success when the core group of players comes from Indiana 4 of the 5 national championship teams had a minimum of 3 kids starting that came from Indiana (1987 being the exception). The same holds true for the 8 final 4 teams 7 of them started at least 3 Indiana kids. Indiana IU never has had the same success when the roster has been tilted toward out of state recruits (1987 being an exception) ..... You state the the individual could mention a team at IU with a roster of kids from other states that did as well there has been no such team at IU.......................
God, I hate this whole subject matter.

We wouldn't have ANY national championships in my lifetime without Scott May (Ohio), Quinn Buckner (Illinois), Isiah Thomas (Illinois), Keith Smart (Louisianna), Dean Garrett (California), Daryl Thomas (Illinois), Jim Thomas (Florida).

Claiming that the championship teams needed 3 "core" players from Indiana means nothing more than that someone can count to 3. ALL of the players listed above were "core" players.

When I screw up on a post, I know I'll be called out. Until then, please dom't insult me.

Different times make it impossible to say. I would even venture that his style of coaching might not be thought of as favorable for today's society. So the bottom line is no real way of saying for sure one way or another.
I don't think Knight cared who was rated (unless he's the one who rated them).

God, I hate this whole subject matter.

We wouldn't have ANY national championships in my lifetime without Scott May (Ohio), Quinn Buckner (Illinois), Isiah Thomas (Illinois), Keith Smart (Louisianna), Dean Garrett (California), Daryl Thomas (Illinois), Jim Thomas (Florida).

Claiming that the championship teams needed 3 "core" players from Indiana means nothing more than that someone can count to 3. ALL of the players listed above were "core" players.

When I screw up on a post, I know I'll be called out. Until then, please dom't insult me.

So that's 1 from Ohio, 3 from Illinois, 1 from California, 1 from Louisiana, and 1 from Florida....

Now go count the ones from Indiana.

Name the best IU team in history without core players from Illinois? Florida? California?

Now name the best team in IU history without its core containing some form of players from Indiana....

Last edited:
So that's 1 from Ohio, 3 from Illinois, 1 from California, 1 from Louisiana, and 1 from Florida....

Name the best IU is history without players from Illinois?Florida? California?

Now name the best team in IU history without its core containing some form of players from Indiana....

Name the best IU is history without core players from Illinois?Florida? California?

I have no idea what you're asking or how many questions even.

The 1981 team had a large number of well known Indiana players, but the fact remains that this team would not have won a national championship without Isiah and Jim Thomas. Jim was the top No. 6 man in the tourney and Isiah basically beat North Carolina by drawing stupid fouls. Did you watch that tournament?

What team is the answer to your own question?

I have no idea what you're asking or how many questions even.

The 1981 team had a large number of well known Indiana players, but the fact remains that this team would not have won a national championship without Isiah and Jim Thomas. Jim was the top No. 6 man in the tourney and Isiah basically beat North Carolina by drawing stupid fouls. Did you watch that tournament?

What team is the answer to your own question?

The point is there hasn't been a good team EVER in IU's history where the core doesn't have some form of Indiana talent....

But, who needs them now? Right? Mike Davis was onto something.....Crean can actually do it.

Who needs Langford next year? Right?

The point is there hasn't been a good team EVER in IU's history where the core doesn't have some form of Indiana talent....

But, who needs them now? Right? Mike Davis was onto something.....Crean can actually do it.

No "good team ever" without "some form of Indiana talent."

Well, that's vague enough to draw fire from all sides. Good luck defending it!!

UCLA won more championships than any other team. Where did Wooden get his players from?

4/4 for in state kids with all four being in the Top 40ish? What planet do you live on? No chance. You're insufferable.
I was clearly stating that the 4/4 expectation would be ridiculous. Not sure how you got so confused on something so basic.

A UK agrees....great. :)

In all seriousness after all the trash talking and jabs at each other 6 years ago. I honestly thought IU was on the same path as UK. after beating us at your place to then lose in the sweet 16 to the NC. i seen IU gaining momentum back to the top.

I know some of you think its about building a team over a period of time. but. in this day and time that Dosent even guarantee you much. thats the Mid Major walk. its about recruiting on a high level building a winning culture. kids these days come in physically ready to compete at a high level. they train and play year around against and with the best in the world. the downside is the mental maturity part. gotta have a strong coach and staff that these young men buy into.

I lived in Memphis and watched a coach gather some of the best talent year in and year out over a 5 year span. and because he couldn't understand the mental part. all that talent waisted. not sure if Crean has lost all confidence from the talent coming up. just saying he had 4 years or more to jump on this in state group of talent. and for some reason not 1 took him seriously . IU should be a top 5 program period.

Reactions: IndianaHoops
IU should be a top 5 program period.

IU doesn't want to be a top 5 program. It's satisfied with being just good enough (insert any excuse). I just wonder why it wants to spend so much money to be just good enough. So long as it's not my tax dollars (and it never was), I don't care as much as I used to.

You said it yourself 1987.

Take off Isiah (from Chicago) does Indiana win?
Take off Scott May (from Sandusky) does Indiana win?

Is it possible the first four teams had more IU players because people didn't go so far from home at that time and Indiana was the state school. I bet Purdue has had more Indiana kids on their good teams too.

The funny thing is I bet they have had more Indiana kids on their bad teams too over the years.
One player from each team take Wittman, Turner,Tolbert and Kitchel off the 1981 IU doesn't win, take Benson, Abernathy and Willkerson off in1976 IU doesn't win, take Alford (The 1 Hoosier starter in 1987) IU doesn't win take the first 7 off the final 4 team in the mid 90's IU sucks like they did the years after when they brought in Andre Patterson , Charlie Miller and all the high rated out of state talent after BK left Indiana as his recruiting base.. Take Yogi, Jordy and Cody off TC's best team and he is gone...

Last edited:
One player from each team take Witteman, Turner,Tolbert and Kitchel off the 1981 IU doesn't win, take Benson, Abernathy and Willkerson off in1976 IU doesn't win, take Alford (The 1 Hoosier starter in 1987) IU doesn't win take the first 7 off the final 4 team in the mid 90's IU sucks like they did the years after when they brought in Andre Patterson , Charlie Miller and all the high rated out of state talent after BK left Indiana as his recruiting base.. Take Yogi, Jordy and Cody off TC's best team and he is gone...

It's Wittman. Randy Wittman. How do IU fans not know this...? Did you pull for Kurt Cloverdale, too?

But history shows Indiana has had their greatest success when the core group of players comes from Indiana 4 of the 5 national championship teams had a minimum of 3 kids starting that came from Indiana (1987 being the exception). The same holds true for the 8 final 4 teams 7 of them started at least 3 Indiana kids. Indiana IU never has had the same success when the roster has been tilted toward out of state recruits (1987 being an exception) ..... You state the the individual could mention a team at IU with a roster of kids from other states that did as well there has been no such team at IU.......................
I'm happy with 3-4 star players and Jordan Hulls types. If we play defense and be fundamentally sound we can be good. Deep down inside we don't really want the Kentucky model. Add that to OG VO and DV finds we can be good.

I'm hearing JM and DG are impressive from people in Bloomington.

It's Wittman. Randy Wittman. How do IU fans not know this...? Did you pull for Kurt Cloverdale, too?
UCLA won more championships than any other team. Where did Wooden get his players from?
He had a Godfather who spent $$$ to help him not sure we want or can operate the same way on his first NCAA championship team before the Godfather really got going his starting point guard was Mike Warren from South Bend

Obviously the state of Indiana isn't going IU with its entire roster but to notmland any of the top in state talent the last few years is
Concerning. Rome Langford next year is looking at the state and wonder...why didn't kyle guy, Scruggs, Williams, Jackson or Wilkes want to go to IU?!? They know something I don't?

Obviously the state of Indiana isn't going IU with its entire roster but to notmland any of the top in state talent the last few years is
Concerning. Rome Langford next year is looking at the state and wonder...why didn't kyle guy, Scruggs, Williams, Jackson or Wilkes want to go to IU?!? They know something I don't?
This is absurd. You're now projecting on what Langford is thinking about recruiting for Indiana? Goodness. Some people need to step away from the ledge. My guess is Langford won't end up at IU and then we'll have all this whining and complaining again next year. Who cares where the kids come from. I just want good players who are good kids.

This is absurd. You're now projecting on what Langford is thinking about recruiting for Indiana? Goodness. Some people need to step away from the ledge. My guess is Langford won't end up at IU and then we'll have all this whining and complaining again next year. Who cares where the kids come from. I just want good players who are good kids.
Could be because history shows IU has its best teams when Indiana kids have been at the core. I know some folks don't understand that because IU has not been a top 10 program since the days when they got a good percentage of the kids from in state they wanted

Could be because history shows IU has its best teams when Indiana kids have been at the core. I know some folks don't understand that because IU has not been a top 10 program since the days when they got a good percentage of the kids from in state they wanted
college basket is a lot more national today than it was 25 to 30 years ago as well.

Reactions: SNU0821
college basket is a lot more national today than it was 25 to 30 years ago as well.

Best IU team in history where the core talent doesn't involve some Indiana talent?

Last year? 4 years ago? This year? Go as current as you want....

Last edited:
Relax...and yes you are correct it doesn't matter where they come from but IU should have the home court advantage in state and for some reason we don't.

Reactions: kimaniismyffriend

then explain why the typical rosters of MSU, WU, and OSU have some many instate kids or kids from one state over. lol

sure, kids are willing to travel more but that doesn't mean they all do. not even close.

but they do like leaving our state. bye, fellas! We'll miss you! :)

where a kid comes from should matter a bit considering IU fan's unique relationship with Indiana HS ball. now IU Scott, because he only sees black and white, will reply to this and say: Indiana HS bball is dead! but he will only be 25% right and 75% wrong. it's still a big deal.

top that off with the model that seems to be working for the better programs in our conference and worked for IU for about a century: Local kids and midwestern kids. no, it's not a set-in-stone rule to only get kids who live closer but the advantages are immense and i think who folks who don't get that are being disingenuous on behalf of our coach, who really must have pissed off some instate powers that be. lol

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Best IU team in history where the core talent doesn't involve some Indiana talent?

Last year? 4 years ago? This year? Goes as current as you want....
Agree and bottom line the best in that group was Cody's Sophomore year guess what 3 Indiana kids started since we lost the state beginning with MD things have not been good

where a kid comes from should matter a bit considering IU fan's unique relationship with Indiana HS ball. now IU Scott, because he only sees black and white, will reply to this and say: Indiana HS bball is dead! but he will only be 25% right and 75% wrong. it's still a big deal.

top that off with the model that seems to be working for the better programs in our conference and worked for IU for about a century: Local kids and midwestern kids. no, it's not a set-in-stone rule to only get kids who live closer but the advantages are immense and i think who folks who don't get that are being disingenuous on behalf of our coach, who really must have pissed off some instate powers that be. lol
Wisconsin has built a solid program around Wis, Minn,Ill and Ohio kids for the most part and having lived there the high school talent and fan interest at the high school level can't compare

I don't care where players come from, I just want top recruits. The problem isn't just that we went 0-4 on this outstanding class, it's that we've missed on those guys and signed a group of 3 star players. If we had top level out of state talent coming in it wouldn't matter to me one bit. But we don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT