ADVERTISEMENT

Per Bozich....

seriously? that team started 3 and then 2 McDonald's all-americans with plenty of top 75 kids. it should have competed for a conference title. we were fortunate to have great talent considering how the prior two years played out but not fortunate that coach was somehow able to make it work. lol he did a good job but we did not overachieve. lol

seriously, your expectations are really tough to figure out.
I was never that impressed with Yogi. I felt that up until last year, he hurt the team more than he helped them. Last year he impressed me with his maturity and more of a team focus. Big change over his previous three years. Coach Crean had much more patience with him than I would have. Same goes for Williams.

As far as McDonald's All Americans, that's a nice honor for a high school kid, but it's just an opinion. My two favorites last year that made a difference were OG and TB. One was an all-American in HS and one of them was not. Regardless I liked how the IU coaches brought along the freshmen giving them more responsibility as the year progressed.

I thought Maryland had the most talent last year in the Big 10 and IU just flat out played them. Call it coaching or call it luck, I thought Crean deserved the COY award.

Of course he is! When we win, its with less talent than others - when we lose, its because we had less talent - Poor IU and CTC - we NEVER have talent!
It's nice to have people put words in your mouth. It may not have been said, but you know what I meant. Sounds so familiar. Is this my wife posting?

You're trying to tell us Michigan State had more individual talent than IU?
Michigan State entered the Big 10 season ranked #1 in the country. The first 2 months of the year they were the best. Falling from a previous #1 with the top player in the country, to losing the first round in the tournament is a long fall. Doesn't really have much to do with IU, but they did not have the season they anticipated heading into the conference.

Michigan State entered the Big 10 season ranked #1 in the country. The first 2 months of the year they were the best. Falling from a previous #1 with the top player in the country, to losing the first round in the tournament is a long fall. Doesn't really have much to do with IU, but they did not have the season they anticipated heading into the conference.

I'll agree they didn't end up having the ending they - and others - thought they'd have.

But outside of DV and Davis, the talent on that team was really lacking. They played really good together, and that was in large part from Izzo's system. But of all his teams the last 5 years it was by far the least talented. Their margin for error was slim - particularly when DV had an off game (which didn't happen often).

Unfortunately for Sparty, one of those few times was the 1st rd of the NCAA's.

I was never that impressed with Yogi. I felt that up until last year, he hurt the team more than he helped them. Last year he impressed me with his maturity and more of a team focus. Big change over his previous three years.

You are going to find out this year how great Yogi. It's extremely difficult to be the main ball handler, main scorer, and best player on the team, but he was for 3 years. Also, who were you impressed with his sophomore and junior years?

Reactions: fpeaugh
I was never that impressed with Yogi. I felt that up until last year, he hurt the team more than he helped them. Last year he impressed me with his maturity and more of a team focus. Big change over his previous three years. Coach Crean had much more patience with him than I would have. Same goes for Williams.

As far as McDonald's All Americans, that's a nice honor for a high school kid, but it's just an opinion. My two favorites last year that made a difference were OG and TB. One was an all-American in HS and one of them was not. Regardless I liked how the IU coaches brought along the freshmen giving them more responsibility as the year progressed.

I thought Maryland had the most talent last year in the Big 10 and IU just flat out played them. Call it coaching or call it luck, I thought Crean deserved the COY award.
You're going to be very disappointed when you see what we look like without Yogi. That kid carried us for 3 years. The criticism he took was absurd.

Reactions: snarlcakes
You are going to find out this year how great Yogi. It's extremely difficult to be the main ball handler, main scorer, and best player on the team, but he was for 3 years. Also, who were you impressed with his sophomore and junior years?
Interesting you would reply that way. I was answering a poster who was stating that IU had all these all-americans and still could not get past the sweet 16. Now I get two replies stating that Yogi was by far the best player on the team which contradicts the OP and goes along with my theory that IU was not that talented. As you said there was not anyone I was really impressed with. IU wasn't that talented.

Interesting you would reply that way. I was answering a poster who was stating that IU had all these all-americans and still could not get past the sweet 16. Now I get two replies stating that Yogi was by far the best player on the team which contradicts the OP and goes along with my theory that IU was not that talented. As you said there was not anyone I was really impressed with. IU wasn't that talented.

gotcha. they were bad top 75 kids and not like good top 75 kids. haha

gotcha. they were bad top 75 kids and not like good top 75 kids. haha
Those were high school rankings. Where was Yogi rated as a player his junior and sophomore year by college standards? Where was Troy Williams rated his sophomore year? Where was Ziesloft, Perea, Hartman, rated as college players?

No my response does not support your theory. Yogi was the best player because he was extremely talented and will go down as one of IU's best point guards of all time. Also, last years team was very talented. It had at least 4 NBA players (Yogi, TW, TB, and OG), another 5 star player, and got solid contributions from 3 other seniors. At the beginning of the year Indiana was ranked in the top 15 and at the end of the year that is where they ended up. Crean didn't do some amazing job with little talent. He finished the season where most people had them ranked prior to the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MG80 and hondo314
Those were high school rankings. Where was Yogi rated as a player his junior and sophomore year by college standards? Where was Troy Williams rated his sophomore year? Where was Ziesloft, Perea, Hartman, rated as college players?

gotcha. the ratings have been wrong for most of Crean's career. you guys are too funny.

No my response does not support your theory. Yogi was the best player because he was extremely talented and will go down as one of IU's best point guards of all time. Also, last years team was very talented. It had at least 4 NBA players (Yogi, TW, TB, and OG), another 5 star player, and got solid contributions from 3 other seniors. At the beginning of the year Indiana was ranked in the top 15 and at the end of the year that is where they ended up. Crean didn't do some amazing job with little talent. He finished the season where most people had them ranked prior to the season.
Over react much??? I said Crean did a good job last year and you get defensive.... I also asked where was Yogi rated his sophomore and junior years? Where was Troy rated his freshman and sophomore years? Were Yogi or Troy listed on the pre-season draft board? I am not saying they were bad players. I am simply saying they improved while they were at IU and they had a good team last year.

You're going to be very disappointed when you see what we look like without Yogi. That kid carried us for 3 years. The criticism he took was absurd.

Maybe but sometimes when you rely on a group of players to make up for his loss it works out better for the team. IMO, I think the team may have a solid/deeper group now than in anytime over the Yogi's last 3 years. Of course it depends on how some of the new guys play but I'm not writing them off or proclaiming any of them the next coming until the games start. I'm optimistic though.

Even though you "were never impressed with him"?
In 2014 Yogi was rated the #39 college player heading into his junior season. There was not one other player on IU who was ranked in the top 100. Last year heading into the season, Yogi was ranked the #20 player in the nation and I felt he played to the level of his abilities. He also led IU to a conference championship with 3 other players who were ranked in the top 100. What's not to like about last year?

In 2014 Yogi was rated the #39 college player heading into his junior season. There was not one other player on IU who was ranked in the top 100. Last year heading into the season, Yogi was ranked the #20 player in the nation and I felt he played to the level of his abilities. He also led IU to a conference championship with 3 other players who were ranked in the top 100. What's not to like about last year?
You were the one who said you were not impressed by Yogi. That's what I'm responding to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT