ADVERTISEMENT

Per Bozich....

Your right but Coverdale an Indiana kid was valid to that team's success--- Odle (A Indiana high scgooler) replaced George Leach (A North Carolina product) during the season and his insertion into the starting line up is when the Hoosiers took off to become a final 4 team......................................My point was Knight recruited the players and they took off under Davis with 3 INDIANA kids starting
This argument is rather circumstantial. You would be better off with a percentage of how many kids from Indiana play on teams with winning records, and then compare that to a percentage of kids from other states. The person you are debating could just as easily mention another team that switched to kids who were from other states and won more games.

This argument is rather circumstantial. You would be better off with a percentage of how many kids from Indiana play on teams with winning records, and then compare that to a percentage of kids from other states. The person you are debating could just as easily mention another team that switched to kids who were from other states and won more games.
But history shows Indiana has had their greatest success when the core group of players comes from Indiana 4 of the 5 national championship teams had a minimum of 3 kids starting that came from Indiana (1987 being the exception). The same holds true for the 8 final 4 teams 7 of them started at least 3 Indiana kids. Indiana IU never has had the same success when the roster has been tilted toward out of state recruits (1987 being an exception) ..... You state the the individual could mention a team at IU with a roster of kids from other states that did as well there has been no such team at IU.......................

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
Knight wouldnt even recruited 2 of the 4 kids in this class. Knight recruiting wasnt very good at times. His motion offense was ahead of its time just a brillant coach. Its like one his assistant or maybe it was Bob Hammel that said just think if he could have recruited well. It eventually caught up with him Knight believed the hype that he could take 10 average players and win.

Knight wouldnt even recruited 2 of the 4 kids in this class. Knight recruiting wasnt very good at times. His motion offense was ahead of its time just a brillant coach. Its like one his assistant or maybe it was Bob Hammel that said just think if he could have recruited well. It eventually caught up with him Knight believed the hype that he could take 10 average players and win.
Point was that RMK got most of the kids from Indiana he wanted.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Honest question. Do you think Coach knight would have missed on 4 top 50 in st players?
Different times make it impossible to say. I would even venture that his style of coaching might not be thought of as favorable for today's society. So the bottom line is no real way of saying for sure one way or another.

Point was that RMK got most of the kids from Indiana he wanted.
It's a different time. Social media and increased television exposure has changed the landscape of college basketball. That's the problem with looking back and making comments like yours above. There is some truth to it, but not nearly as much as 30 years ago.

It's a different time. Social media and increased television exposure has changed the landscape of college basketball. That's the problem with looking back and making comments like yours above. There is some truth to it, but not nearly as much as 30 years ago.
Would they leave state if calipari, izzo, boeheim, K, Roy were at IU???

Different times make it impossible to say. I would even venture that his style of coaching might not be thought of as favorable for today's society. So the bottom line is no real way of saying for sure one way or another.

It's really hard to compare eras. If Knight had come up in today's era maybe even he wouldn't be a coach like he was back then. Greatness always rises to the top. Obviously he was to stubborn to change his ways that were common when he was raised and that eventually hurt him. It's like the players are so much more athletic today argument. Great players from back in the day would be great players today. they would have been exposed to all the new technioques, diets etc. Imagine if players back in old days worked out year round.

The players I watched from courtside last night seem to demonstrate your ignorance.

This discussion is about Indiana kids, and the fact that Crean went 0-4 with them in this recruiting cycle. That in and of itself isn't necessarily an issue; but if what has been said is true, that's a problem.

You're impossible to argue with. The standard for other coaches would be 4/4 but the standard for Crean can't even be 1/4? This guy doesn't walk on water, you know?
No coach in America would have gotten all 4 in this class. This has nothing to do with Crean and I can take him or leave him.

Can you imagine what DG and CJ did to Paul Scruggs when he came down to Bloomington. They lit him up like a Christmas tree. I dont care who was coaching Paul was smart enough to realize that there is some really good guards at IU right now. I have been saying this all along now were starting to see it.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
No coach in America would have gotten all 4 in this class. This has nothing to do with Crean and I can take him or leave him.
It's not all or nothing. There were 5 possible outcomes in this thing:

Yet you only focus on landing all 4. Very weak argument my friend. Very weak.

Can you imagine what DG and CJ did to Paul Scruggs when he came down to Bloomington. They lit him up like a Christmas tree. I dont care who was coaching Paul was smart enough to realize that there is some really good guards at IU right now. I have been saying this all along now were starting to see it.

And none of them can play point or forward or center.......which is what the other 3 would have helped with.

People that keep thinking missing on Indiana talent isn't a problem need to research Mike Davis.

Because Crean would have had the same success without Zeller or Yogi. Right?

Its not a problem this year.....but going forward its a huge problem especially with 3 years left on the contract. If I am Glass and I see the talent coming in and the talent leaving.....there is no extension anytime soon.

But why worry about that now? Thats like 4 months away.....thats an eternity.

We can start recruiting talent to convince Langford to commit sometime next spring.....plenty of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
Yup, that must have been it. He couldn't compete. Just like Bigfoot is real. Makes sense if you don't think about it.

You're impossible to argue with. The standard for other coaches would be 4/4 but the standard for Crean can't even be 1/4? This guy doesn't walk on water, you know?
4/4 for in state kids with all four being in the Top 40ish? What planet do you live on? No chance. You're insufferable.

fpeaugh makes alot of sense if you take off your negative glasses and think reasonably.

lol

Yeh, those guards at the X are just chopped liver. How are they ranked higher in every preseason poll than IU?

Why did Crean keep recruiting him then?

Yup, that must have been it. He couldn't compete. Just like Bigfoot is real. Makes sense if you don't think about it.
Skruggs could compete with the guard talent we have and I believe you will see it when he plays at Xavier.................

Reactions: fpeaugh
How many other "elite" coaches - at a place like IU and coming off 2 conference championships and 3 Sweet 16's all within the last 5 years - would have gotten ZERO?

I'm amused at how some of you attempt to hide the elephant in the middle of the living room . . .

The-Elephant-in-the-Room1.png

Reactions: BigMobe and fpeaugh
How many other "elite" coaches - at a place like IU and coming off 2 conference championships and 3 Sweet 16's all within the last 5 years - would have gotten ZERO?

I'm amused at how some of you attempt to hide the elephant in the middle of the living room . . .

The-Elephant-in-the-Room1.png
I already said the HOF coaches would not go for 0-4 and if you read the whole thread you would have seen that.

It interesting Tas how some of you put two elephants in the room. The recruiting has been really good the last couple years. And were one good recruit away from another good class. Our three freshman this year are going to be really good better than some 5 stars.

Reactions: stollcpa
But history shows Indiana has had their greatest success when the core group of players comes from Indiana 4 of the 5 national championship teams had a minimum of 3 kids starting that came from Indiana (1987 being the exception). The same holds true for the 8 final 4 teams 7 of them started at least 3 Indiana kids. Indiana IU never has had the same success when the roster has been tilted toward out of state recruits (1987 being an exception) ..... You state the the individual could mention a team at IU with a roster of kids from other states that did as well there has been no such team at IU.......................
You said it yourself 1987.

Take off Isiah (from Chicago) does Indiana win?
Take off Scott May (from Sandusky) does Indiana win?

Is it possible the first four teams had more IU players because people didn't go so far from home at that time and Indiana was the state school. I bet Purdue has had more Indiana kids on their good teams too.

The funny thing is I bet they have had more Indiana kids on their bad teams too over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT