ADVERTISEMENT

Per Bozich....

Depending on who leaves this year.....I don't know if you can say that going forward.
Its interesting, you can't recruit over top of players in Indiana, but if players leave early you are criticized for not recruiting replacements.

agree but talented enough to match his pay grade? remember, we were super talented last year and went 2 and 2 in the post season

dude needs to break through his own ceiling and then break through it on the reg. could be a tall order even if you don't look at who we are prob losing and who is coming in. do 3 star guys sometimes play like 5 star guys? for sure but not often enough to sustain a program at an elite level, i'm afraid
A lot is emphasized on the tourney, however expectations from the beginning of the year were met and beyond with the defensive improvement and the conference success.
Hence the Big 10 COY.

Its interesting, you can't recruit over top of players in Indiana, but if players leave early you are criticized for not recruiting replacements.

huh? not sure what you meant but most coaches seem to make it work pretty well with 13 schollies. especially other coaches at our guy's pay grade.

A lot is emphasized on the tourney, however expectations from the beginning of the year were met and beyond with the defensive improvement and the conference success.
Hence the Big 10 COY.

beyond? you didn't think crean could win the big ten with that team? lol

the best programs in our league the last 5 years have had success in conference and have gone deeper in the NCAAs. the big ten titles are great but you need success in the tourney to truly be elite. ask Gene Keady. :)

First you got to get Indiana players to recruit over them ...lol

And who is criticizing for players leaving early?

If OG, Bryant, and JBJ leave........critics will point to lack of Indiana recruiting if IU struggles in the future.

Look at that roster without those 3 and Hartman....what are the expectations?

Live off 2 B10 titles and 3 sweet 16s?

3 years left on that contract.....if you are AD and see what talent is on the roster in the future.....do ya wait or give an extension this year?

huh? not sure what you meant but most coaches seem to make it work pretty well with 13 schollies. especially other coaches at our guy's pay grade.
I don't see pay as an evaluation tool. That would be criticizing IU for sending too much or too little.

The original poster said TC had assembled some good talent, but was critical they would not be good when people leave early. I am just hoping they are good this year than worrying three years down the road. Who knows who will be here then nut everyone agrees IU develops talent well.

I don't see pay as an evaluation tool. That would be criticizing IU for sending too much or too little.

The original poster said TC had assembled some good talent, but was critical they would not be good when people leave early. I am just hoping they are good this year than worrying three years down the road. Who knows who will be here then nut everyone agrees IU develops talent well.

You think it's going to be hard to recruit with 3 years left on the contract?

the best programs in our league the last 5 years have had success in conference and have gone deeper in the NCAAs. the big ten titles are great but you need success in the tourney to truly be elite. ask Gene Keady. :)
Not sure where you are jumping to. IU won the Big 10 and TC was selected COY. I did not expect IU to win it all last year and beating KY in the tourney was a bonus.

Just glad we did not pull a MSU and bow out to Cinderella with the most talent in the Big.

First you got to get Indiana players to recruit over them ...lol

And who is criticizing for players leaving early?

If OG, Bryant, and JBJ leave........critics will point to lack of Indiana recruiting if IU struggles in the future.

Look at that roster without those 3 and Hartman....what are the expectations?

Live off 2 B10 titles and 3 sweet 16s?

3 years left on that contract.....if you are AD and see what talent is on the roster in the future.....do ya wait or give an extension this year?
The post said IU is criticized if players leave early. IU can only recruit for openings and if they will have another I would like to see them Jordan Tucker. With the drop in interest I wonder if Hartman is indicating he will return now.

No. I think TC is well known at the national level by most recruits. He should do fine.

So, you don't think other coaches will tell recruits that Crean won't be there when they are a upper classmen?

And how often do coaches coach for thier entire contract?

No extension this year, it's just a matter of time.....sorry....it is. Again, if Crean had some Indiana talent coming in, that extension would be easier to handout.

The post said IU is criticized if players leave early. IU can only recruit for openings and if they will have another I would like to see them Jordan Tucker. With the drop in interest I wonder if Hartman is indicating he will return now.

You think the drop in interest from Tucker is because IU is already oversigned by 2? And maybe that played into Wilkes decision?

So, you don't think other coaches will tell recruits that Crean won't be there when they are a upper classmen?

And how often do coaches coach for thier entire contract?

No extension this year, it's just a matter of time.....sorry....it is. Again, if Crean had some Indiana talent coming in, that extension would be easier to handout.
I don't know the answer to your questions. I guess if they just want to come for two years of IU's player development program it wont' matter to them if TC is gone after their sophomore year. If they want to come for four years, they are probably more interested in playing opportunities and the education offered at IU than who the coach may or may not be.

Regarding the number of times coaches coach their entire contract, I don't know. Counting extensions and other things I would guess that TC has been at IU at least the average length of time that a coach stays at one school by now. My guess is the turnover rate is fairly high. Especially since sports have become so much about money.

You think the drop in interest from Tucker is because IU is already oversigned by 2? And maybe that played into Wilkes decision?
It's possible. I am not aware of a drop in interest from Tucker, but I have not seen much about him since we signed Smith. I would still love to have him, but looking at who may and may not be leaving, I think IU's best bet at this point is to wait and see if they can sign someone in the spring or if they even need to. I see three leaving in TB, OG and either one of JBJ or Hartman and originally I would have said both. That may have changed since practices have started and Hartman's injury.
I think JBJ is playing much better defense and it may still be in his plans to go early. If CH is wanting to come back, IU may be saving a spot for him although with his injury problems I think it may be in his interest to become an assistant coach with IU for a couple years if he wants to stay in the game. If he makes that decision at some point, IU could still sign someone in the spring.

Legends are made in March...nobody talks about how many COY or conference titles Knight won

Reactions: snarlcakes
It's possible. I am not aware of a drop in interest from Tucker, but I have not seen much about him since we signed Smith. I would still love to have him, but looking at who may and may not be leaving, I think IU's best bet at this point is to wait and see if they can sign someone in the spring or if they even need to. I see three leaving in TB, OG and either one of JBJ or Hartman and originally I would have said both. That may have changed since practices have started and Hartman's injury.
I think JBJ is playing much better defense and it may still be in his plans to go early. If CH is wanting to come back, IU may be saving a spot for him although with his injury problems I think it may be in his interest to become an assistant coach with IU for a couple years if he wants to stay in the game. If he makes that decision at some point, IU could still sign someone in the spring.
Hope Hartman returns healthy...great kid!

Not sure where you are jumping to. IU won the Big 10 and TC was selected COY. I did not expect IU to win it all last year and beating KY in the tourney was a bonus.

Just glad we did not pull a MSU and bow out to Cinderella with the most talent in the Big.
No kidding, great effort by coach

Not only do I think IU signs another one in the spring....I think there is a high chance they sign 2.

The problem is they will probably be 2 low quality recruits.

Again, this year is great......going forward, I'm worried.

Not only do I think IU signs another one in the spring....I think there is a high chance they sign 2.

If Crean signs another project this spring, I would agree with you. This needs to be saved for a legitimate Post or Wing.

Next year assuming TB, OG and JBJ leave:
Guards: RoJo, Newkirk, Jones, Green, Durham 5 (I think these will be very good guards in the Big)
Wings: Morgan, Smith, McSwain, Gelon "Hartman?" (Not great but a 3 guard lineup strengthens it)
Posts: Davis, Moore, Priller 3 (One injury away from problems)

If Moore is better than rated I think IU is in shape to develop a good team. They may not be picked to win, but they have a lot of depth at guard and McSwain Smith and Morgan could be better than you think.

I don't know the answer to your questions. I guess if they just want to come for two years of IU's player development program it wont' matter to them if TC is gone after their sophomore year. If they want to come for four years, they are probably more interested in playing opportunities and the education offered at IU than who the coach may or may not be.

Regarding the number of times coaches coach their entire contract, I don't know. Counting extensions and other things I would guess that TC has been at IU at least the average length of time that a coach stays at one school by now. My guess is the turnover rate is fairly high. Especially since sports have become so much about money.
Average? 9 years is an eternity these days. He's definitely on the longer end of the spectrum.

Your expectations ARE the problem. Not an excuse.

Not the way I want IU to recruit because I like to watch a player come in a grow as a player over 3 or 4 years.

I get that IUscott. then get use to having the same old same old. IU has the tradition and facilities to jump in the game with UK and Duke. if you want your program to stay on the same path
. then good luck

you don't believe in value for your money? okay

everyone agrees IU develops talent (but so do other schools and our talent developing hasn't led us back to elite, so maybe it's not working towards that ROI we talked about earlier? lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stellara1

you didn't think crean could win it all with all those burger boys and 5/4 star kids? yup, you've made him a martyr. yipeee.

It's particularly disappointing, because of the depth of in-state talent in '17

I get that IUscott. then get use to having the same old same old. IU has the tradition and facilities to jump in the game with UK and Duke. if you want your program to stay on the same path
. then good luck
I'm ready to see em jump in the game with UK & Duke plz!!!

. then good luck
I don't want IU to be like UK at all and Villanova and UW showed that you can win and still get the 4 year players.

This discussion is about Indiana kids, and the fact that Crean went 0-4 with them in this recruiting cycle. That in and of itself isn't necessarily an issue; but if what has been said is true, that's a problem.
Your post said 'today's kids'.....

I see this comment a lot ,a low quality recruit. Who in your mind who the last three recruiting classes has been a low-quality recruit. Classes of 15 16 and now 17. I've seen a lot of comments that this will be a best defensive team than we've seen in the coach crean era. I've been saying that since the end of last year we finally have kids that can defend. Do you think that just happened there has there been a change in recruiting the last couple of years. In my mind there's been a lot of high-quality kids on the court on both sides of the ball a higher basketball IQ but also kids of high integrity. When we played Kansas there's not going to be a huge discrepancy between each team's talent.

I think IU was fortunate last year and Crean did one of his better coach In jobs.

seriously? that team started 3 and then 2 McDonald's all-americans with plenty of top 75 kids. it should have competed for a conference title. we were fortunate to have great talent considering how the prior two years played out but not fortunate that coach was somehow able to make it work. lol he did a good job but we did not overachieve. lol

seriously, your expectations are really tough to figure out.

Last edited:

You're trying to tell us Michigan State had more individual talent than IU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT