ADVERTISEMENT

Penix will practice this week.

I don't think its coach hiller. If you go look at the o line recruits in the 16 and 17 classes (last 2 classes of wilson) they were pretty underwhelming and a decent amount never started nor are they on the team.
i agree. it's all about the jimmys and joes. although i do think we have some good oline talent. our most talented guys,(bedford, rafferty, beery, katic, et al) are young and inexperienced. i'd like to see them more.

Not only did he make it clear...Several of the reporters who were at fall camp said the difference between Penix and Ramsey is night and day. Not even close. Penix decision making and quick release would be a huge plus against a D-line like msu. Hendershot down the middle :).
So just because they are reporters they know everything. I don’t care what reporters think but I do trust our coaches and they said last year it was Ramsey and this they say it is Penix. But just because Penix is not in I am not going to cheer against the Hoosiers or hope for failure just so I can say I told you so. I am for all the Hoosiers to succeed.
Why is this being discussed. Dumb argument! When we recruited Penix we brought every damn coach, not a few, all of them! Ryan Day wanted him, Florida wanted him, Florida State wanted him. There is a reason for that. The guy has that "IT" factor. Nothing against Peyton but he's not even in the same league for gawds sake. Just Stop!
I am glad he is here and ready to see if he really is what everyone thinks he is and I hope he is. But your statement about Florida recruiting him is inaccurate, I am also a big Gator fan and follow them almost as much as IU. Also I did see where a fan said day recruited him also but have looked for it and don't see that anywhere. Florida State did recruit him and desperately needs him.

So just because they are reporters they know everything. I don’t care what reporters think but I do trust our coaches and they said last year it was Ramsey and this they say it is Penix. But just because Penix is not in I am not going to cheer against the Hoosiers or hope for failure just so I can say I told you so. I am for all the Hoosiers to succeed.

I am glad he is here and ready to see if he really is what everyone thinks he is and I hope he is. But your statement about Florida recruiting him is inaccurate, I am also a big Gator fan and follow them almost as much as IU. Also I did see where a fan said day recruited him also but have looked for it and don't see that anywhere. Florida State did recruit him and desperately needs him.[/QUOTE

“[Indiana redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Penix] is very talented,” head coach Ryan Day said. “We recruited him. He’s out of Tampa. Very mobile. Very productive coming out of high school. I’m not surprised that he’s playing right away there. He’s a really smart kid, understands the game.”

I don't think its coach hiller. If you go look at the o line recruits in the 16 and 17 classes (last 2 classes of wilson) they were pretty underwhelming and a decent amount never started nor are they on the team.
The caliber of player was fine, but losing Frey really hurt. He was great at developing kids and his departure, along with Wilson’s, really set back the o line development. There’s a fallacy that it was just recruiting, but it was a lot more coaching than recruiting.

Where in the world did you get that I would root against the Hoosiers because Penix is not in? WTF? Insert Facepalm...I give.

Last edited:
Dude you can't use that pick 6 as an example. It would have been incomplete had Scott not tipped it. Not sure why people are still arguing about Penix/Ramsey? I thought Coach Allen has made it very clear who our number one is.

I don't think anyone is arguing about who number 1 is. The argument is that the divide is pretty close.....just like Coach Allen made very clear as well. The separation between the two is very small and as soon as Penix plays a team of substance, we will learn just how small the difference is. I am 100% onboard with Penix starting and think he gives us the best chance to win today but I am in the camp that it is the long play and not the home run hit this year over Ramsey. I truly think the game types are different but the outcomes would be almost identical.

Where in the world did you get that I would root against the Hoosiers because Penix is not in? WTF? Let me guess you work for a left leaning media company otherwise how in the hell did you twist what I said into that? Insert Facepalm...I give.
Never said that you would but said that there are some who do hope they lose. And I think you know who they are. Definitely not a CNN or mainstream media kinda guy.

Reactions: Indianaftw
Why bring your horrible political beliefs into the conversation? Such a childish move on your part.
He did the same thing (introduced politics) in another thread that was recently locked.

Sports for me is an escape from all that. Guy needs to take it to the Water Cooler forum.

The caliber of player was fine, but losing Frey really hurt. He was great at developing kids and his departure, along with Wilson’s, really set back the o line development. There’s a fallacy that it was just recruiting, but it was a lot more coaching than recruiting.
Wilson and Frey did a fantastic job with the o line and run game. I remember when we took Michigan into overtime. We pounded the ball all night. Jordan Howard’s early four yard pickups turned into 7-10 yard pickups in the fourth quarter and overtime. Our o line broke their front seven. People think Wilson just threw the ball like Mike Leach. He developed legitimate NFL offensive lineman and running backs with two and three star recruits.

He did the same thing (introduced politics) in another thread that was recently locked.

Sports for me is an escape from all that. Guy needs to take it to the Water Cooler forum.

Don't go there if you don't want to toe the company line.

i don't think so. it's a lot more recruiting than coaching. all of these guys coach pretty much the same way. there's nothing really new under the sun.

Frey has been fired twice since he left for greener pastures.

I'm not buying that he was the secret sauce.

I can believe Wilson was but not Frey...

Frey has been fired twice since he left for greener pastures.

I'm not buying that he was the secret sauce.

I can believe Wilson was but not Frey...

I was unaware he was fired at Michigan. I thought he left to head to FSU, where he had played. Can't find anything to say Michigan fired him. Also, being fired by Taggart should not be viewed negatively, but rather it is looking more like a badge of honor. Taggart has not impressed, as far as I am concerned. That program is a dumpster, with the best characteristic being the fire might be just smoldering now. We can argue what created results, but results are we produced pretty good lines under him with the same basic 3 star recruit and now, not so much.

I was unaware he was fired at Michigan. I thought he left to head to FSU, where he had played. Can't find anything to say Michigan fired him. Also, being fired by Taggart should not be viewed negatively, but rather it is looking more like a badge of honor. Taggart has not impressed, as far as I am concerned. That program is a dumpster, with the best characteristic being the fire might be just smoldering now. We can argue what created results, but results are we produced pretty good lines under him with the same basic 3 star recruit and now, not so much.

After the Outback and an 8-5 season Harbaugh was quoted as saying he was "going to examine every aspect of his program and make improvements"..., a couple of days later Frey was off the Michigan staff and headed to F$U.

I could be wrong, but that gives the appearance of his having been asked to move on.

You are correct F.T. In that there are no published reports of his technically having been "fired".

He had great oline play at West Virginia and then Michigan both under Rich Rodriguez. He had luck at IU. Shared position at Michigan i gues he was odd man out or left to go home to FSU since he is from Florida. Inherited a terrible mess. He was a scapegoat a couple of guys left. It is still a mess they hired Kendall Briles as offensive coordinator will see if Taggart around long enough to get it straightened out. Have not decided on Hiller did a good job last year see if he can do it again but would not mind Frey back.

After the Outback and an 8-5 season Harbaugh was quoted as saying he was "going to examine every aspect of his program and make improvements"..., a couple of days later Frey was off the Michigan staff and headed to F$U.

I could be wrong, but that gives the appearance of his having been asked to move on.

You are correct F.T. In that there are no published reports of his technically having been "fired".

He coached tackles and TE at UM in a bizarre o-line arrangement. Drevno coached o-line and was OC. According to a Detroit New article of January 2, 2018, "The offensive line has been the issue for several years, even before Harbaugh’s arrival. This season, Michigan ranked 91st nationally in tackles for loss allowed and 110th in sacks allowed. " The same article notes "All fingers are pointed directly at the offense, which is coordinated by Tim Drevno, who also coaches the offensive line, and pass-game-coordinator Pep Hamilton." By the way, I believe both are gone. So, in short, I am not sure Harbaugh's comments can imply a firing of Frey because of poor performance. The situation can as easily be viewed as Frey getting out of a bad situation. As a side note, he was a Broyles Award nominee in 2015.

He coached tackles and TE at UM in a bizarre o-line arrangement. Drevno coached o-line and was OC. According to a Detroit New article of January 2, 2018, "The offensive line has been the issue for several years, even before Harbaugh’s arrival. This season, Michigan ranked 91st nationally in tackles for loss allowed and 110th in sacks allowed. " The same article notes "All fingers are pointed directly at the offense, which is coordinated by Tim Drevno, who also coaches the offensive line, and pass-game-coordinator Pep Hamilton." By the way, I believe both are gone. So, in short, I am not sure Harbaugh's comments can imply a firing of Frey because of poor performance. The situation can as easily be viewed as Frey getting out of a bad situation. As a side note, he was a Broyles Award nominee in 2015.

I bow to your superior research and you've done something that rarely happens on this board or any other..., you've changed my mind on the subject and have me agreeing with you...

You need to take your wizard-like skills to the Watercooler...;):)

Agree with all this......it's really unfortunate that so much of IU fan's frustration with the program is falling on his shoulders. He is a gamer and deserves a lot of credit for his heart.

He beat Virginia and Maryland twice....and that is a major plus because they are "equals"...and I totally respect him for that.

That said, 0-2 vs Purdue hurts.

We gotta give the higher ceiling a chance when healthy, without running off the kid that is basically undefeated against the line.

We're in our usual situation....talented QB hampered by injuries, we play our second guy and compete...and are left to wonder "what if?".

Blows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT