ADVERTISEMENT

Penix will practice this week.

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
CTA just announced they will see how he feels and it will be a game time decision. Based on this if his shoulder feels good he will play. Despite the dink and dunk crowd out there.

I'm sure they didn't let him start throwing until he was fully healed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Allen said they won't hold him out because of the bye week. If he is ready to play he will play.

CTA just announced they will see how he feels and it will be a game time decision. Based on this if his shoulder feels good he will play. Despite the dink and dunk crowd out there.

Good to hear he's ok to practice, but if they have to wait to see how he feels, and its a game-time decision, they don't know whether he's fully healed................

Could be coach speak. Still sounds to me like Penix had nagging tendonitis. He aggravated it on the TD pass. Still sounds like he wasn't doing the rehab so it wouldn't flair up. Now the last two weeks he has been doing rehab. Probably could have played Saturday and now is ready. He will have to continue the rehab and work on it to keep it healthy.

Good to hear he's ok to practice, but if they have to wait to see how he feels, and its a game-time decision, they don't know whether he's fully healed................

Since rushing the ball is likely going to be difficult against MSU, even Penix is going need get the short passing game with a lot of dinking and dunking, otherwise he is going to be on the ground before the receivers get 15 yards passed the line of scrimmage

Since rushing the ball is likely going to be difficult against MSU, even Penix is going need get the short passing game with a lot of dinking and dunking, otherwise he is going to be on the ground before the receivers get 15 yards passed the line of scrimmage

If know this is blasphemy on here, but personally, I think Ramsey is the better of the two when it comes to the short to medium yardage passing game.

Ramsey appears to have better "touch" on the ball and throws a more catchable short range ball. Where there's not any argument is that Penix is better when we start throwing the 25 yard plus routes...

Maybe we could utilize both of them (dictated by Down & Distance... (more blasphemy;))

Just so you know, THE NEXT TIME PENIX GETS SACKED IN A COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME I BELIEVE WILL BE THE FIRST TIME.

I will say, MSU is arguably the #1 defense in the country so far. So if ever there was a game where I would say...."eeehhh, maybe holding him out wouldn't be too bad of an idea..." this would be it. We have a bye week afterwards and gives him the option to come back vs Rutgers and prepare for a game vs Maryland. Ramps him up as the season goes. I mean if he is absolutely healthy, start him for sure. If he is still trying to get it and is just good enough to possibly pay, I say sit him one more.

With Cronk likely to come back, I am playing the long game on Penix.

How about running? I read on her that PR is a blazing scrambler?

If know this is blasphemy on here, but personally, I think Ramsey is the better of the two when it comes to the short to medium yardage passing game.

Ramsey appears to have better "touch" on the ball and throws a more catchable short range ball. Where there's not any argument is that Penix is better when we start throwing the 25 yard plus routes...

Maybe we could utilize both of them (dictated by Down & Distance... (more blasphemy;))

Just so you know, THE NEXT TIME PENIX GETS SACKED IN A COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME I BELIEVE WILL BE THE FIRST TIME.

ha Well, I think the opponents offered a great opportunity to limit any possible sacks. This MSU defense is not comparable to what he has faced so far. There will be pressure early and often on Saturday.

How about running? I read on her that PR is a blazing scrambler?

He has a 20yd run and a 10yd run. He's pretty decent. His QBR is 163 to Penix 146. Considering the OSU game is on that line as well.....

When you subtract all the negative yards for sacks his rushing average is bad. Penix ave. 8.8 yards a carry. PR 1.2. Passing efficiency is measured by completions not explosive plays.

He has a 20yd run and a 10yd run. He's pretty decent. His QBR is 163 to Penix 146. Considering the OSU game is on that line as well.....

Yes and the coach will call quick pass plays for a QB with a quick release.

ha Well, I think the opponents offered a great opportunity to limit any possible sacks. This MSU defense is not comparable to what he has faced so far. There will be pressure early and often on Saturday.

He will have 3 progressions and an arm to try to throw it down the field.

I think Penix puts the player in a position to gain YAC. Ramsey doesn't against non FCS teams.

possibly.......but you do risk the 96 yarder going the other way ala OSU with MSU playing press D.

I think Penix puts the player in a position to gain YAC. Ramsey doesn't against non FCS teams.

I agree if you're talking about deep throws in the 25 yard plus vertical route range...

I still prefer Ramsey in short to mid range passing game... He throws a more catchable ball (in my opinion)...

From what I've seen of him (Ramsey) he can get enough on the ball to make all the throws accurately and on time in the 5-25 yard range, after that he's got enough arm strength for about 2-3 accurate deep balls (25-40 yards) per game.

If they ask him to throw deep more than that (2-3 times) things get problematic ***(in my unprofessional [never having been a college QB Coach] opinion [*^*^*although I Have slept at Holiday Inns on multiple occasions;)]...)...

Last edited:
Likely to come back? Clarify please.

Meaning he is likely to take a RS and return. Nothing is official on his part as its just the beginning of the process since the injury is new but with NFL prospects taking a massive hit, he will either return or quit football. Did you think he was done?

Meaning he is likely to take a RS and return. Nothing is official on his part as its just the beginning of the process since the injury is new but with NFL prospects taking a massive hit, he will either return or quit football. Did you think he was done?

You haven't a clue as to what he's going to do anymore than anyone else on here does.

I very highly doubt he even knows for certain his plans (on 9/23/19)...

When you subtract all the negative yards for sacks his rushing average is bad. Penix ave. 8.8 yards a carry. PR 1.2. Passing efficiency is measured by completions not explosive plays.

When you subtract the stats vs horrible teams, Penix still hasn't played yet....? Ramsey played against OSU. He was forced to rush 14 times. There was 5 sacks. You are going to compare Penix vs inferior opponents and say "Penix doesn't get sacked". I bet if Penix starts vs. MSU there will be a lot sacks.

Lets take a level playing field. Versus EIU:

Ramsey 13/14 226yds 2 TDS 99.4 QBR
Penix 14/20 197yds 2 TD's 91.7 QBR

You haven't a clue as to what he's going to do anymore than anyone else on here does.

I very highly doubt he even knows for certain his plans (on 9/23/19)...

Man, if only i stated that within my quote. ???

He wasn't forced to rush. He holds the ball and takes sacks. Some of this is because he doesn't have confidence in his arm. He will hold the ball instead of throwing it in tight areas. His percentage is higher because he takes the shorter throws. Penix hasn't been sacked in 2 years because he gets rid of the ball. He has confidence in his arm in tight windows and will throw long as well. He can hit players in stride. He drilled the ball to Whop in the BSU game and Whop dropped it.

When you subtract the stats vs horrible teams, Penix still hasn't played yet....? Ramsey played against OSU. He was forced to rush 14 times. There was 5 sacks. You are going to compare Penix vs inferior opponents and say "Penix doesn't get sacked". I bet if Penix starts vs. MSU there will be a lot sacks.

We aren’t winning this game no matter what. Our O-line will get plastered. MSU is nasty in the front 7.

I agree if you're talking about deep throws in the 25 yard plus vertical route range...

I still prefer Ramsey in short to mid range passing game... He throws a more catchable ball (in my opinion)...

From what I've seen of him (Ramsey) he can get enough on the ball to make all the throws accurately and on time in the 5-25 yard range, after that he's got enough arm strength for about 2-3 accurate deep balls (25-40 yards) per game.

If they ask him to throw deep more than that (2-3 times) things get problematic ***(in my unprofessional [never having been a college QB Coach] opinion [*^*^*although I Have slept at Holiday Inns on multiple occasions;)]...)...

don't disagree except I think a deep fall for him starts at 20 yards..........

Those down and outs, short or long, against MSU will be scary whoever plays....Pennix because of inexperience and Ramsey because of arm strength....I wouldn't be surprised if either gives up a TD int.

He wasn't forced to rush. He holds the ball and takes sacks. Some of this is because he doesn't have confidence in his arm. He will hold the ball instead of throwing it in tight areas. His percentage is higher because he takes the shorter throws. Penix hasn't been sacked in 2 years because he gets rid of the ball. He has confidence in his arm in tight windows and will throw long as well. He can hit players in stride. He drilled the ball to Whop in the BSU game and Whop dropped it.

Sure, when comparing Penix vs BSU and Ramsey vs national title contender. The whole point is lets not try and compare stats as if they solidify an argument when we still don't know what we have. If Penix starts and throws 2 picks, gets sacked 4 times vs MSU. Does that mean Ramsey is better? Stop with the over-hype of Penix and let the season play out but right now comparing stats is ridiculous. The only comparison is the EIU game and there wasn't too much separating them.

In time, Penix will be much better. Right now, its not as vast a difference as people dream it is. Maybe if we wish hard enough it will come to fruition.

Reactions: turney333

Sorry but I can’t get to a stat comparison of EIU as Ramsey & Penix are about equal. Love Ramsey and saw Saturday some of his steady side, but for moving up in B10, Penix has the tools we need and bet he goes on Saturday.

Who knows, certainly not me. He might decide that he is done but if I was betting, I would go with your scenario.

I'd say superior pass rush and similar run stopping ability
last year at home, we had a much more experienced oline and their dline tossed us around like a bunch of rag dolls. i'm afraid our oline is going to get killed.

ADVERTISEMENT