ADVERTISEMENT

Penix will practice this week.

If know this is blasphemy on here, but personally, I think Ramsey is the better of the two when it comes to the short to medium yardage passing game.

Ramsey appears to have better "touch" on the ball and throws a more catchable short range ball. Where there's not any argument is that Penix is better when we start throwing the 25 yard plus routes...

Maybe we could utilize both of them (dictated by Down & Distance... (more blasphemy;))
See, here’s the thing, Ramsey has better touch but his balls also float in the air for a loooong time. This gives elite defenses time to get over and limit a 3 yard pass to a 3 yard gain. Penix on the other hand has elite level zip, which allows receivers to get more YAC than what a Ramsey pass would allow.

He wasn't forced to rush. He holds the ball and takes sacks. Some of this is because he doesn't have confidence in his arm. He will hold the ball instead of throwing it in tight areas. His percentage is higher because he takes the shorter throws. Penix hasn't been sacked in 2 years because he gets rid of the ball. He has confidence in his arm in tight windows and will throw long as well. He can hit players in stride. He drilled the ball to Whop in the BSU game and Whop dropped it.
That is funny that you believe that because the quarterback coach/ offensive coordinator says that Ramsey makes up for arm deficiencies by getting thru his progressions and getting the ball out early.

Reactions: YOTHN and 76-1
Sure, when comparing Penix vs BSU and Ramsey vs national title contender. The whole point is lets not try and compare stats as if they solidify an argument when we still don't know what we have. If Penix starts and throws 2 picks, gets sacked 4 times vs MSU. Does that mean Ramsey is better? Stop with the over-hype of Penix and let the season play out but right now comparing stats is ridiculous. The only comparison is the EIU game and there wasn't too much separating them.

In time, Penix will be much better. Right now, its not as vast a difference as people dream it is. Maybe if we wish hard enough it will come to fruition.
Penix put up 21 points.......in the FIRST QUARTER. No comparison is right.

This constant Ramsey bashing is just so tiring and so unnecessary. The kid has an average arm. But he makes up for it in many ways. He is tough. He is competitive. He is not a quitter so many kids would have been out of IU after getting beaten out. He is smart the play vs Michigan in which he continued to run when the defense thought he was down. Contrary to many on this board he does not hold the ball and that is according to his coach not me was stated before the U Conn game. He is extremely accurate as he is the current IU all time percentage leader. Why do we need to bash this kid? It makes no sense to me. Is he perfect no but from what I have seen in limited time from Penix neither is he do I hope he gets hell yes .

Penix put up 21 points.......in the FIRST QUARTER. No comparison is right.

Look at their stat lines. Ramsey played a better game. So....that's a ridiculous statement. I like Penix better but this bs slant on reality is way over done. The expectations on this kid are way overblown.

See, here’s the thing, Ramsey has better touch but his balls also float in the air for a loooong time. This gives elite defenses time to get over and limit a 3 yard pass to a 3 yard gain. Penix on the other hand has elite level zip, which allows receivers to get more YAC than what a Ramsey pass would allow.

Penix also still has a fair bit of maturing to do and these lost games are killer for that. Ahia and UConn would have been very good for him.

To add to your point, his presence and run threat changes the way defenses set up providing more opportunity through the air.

He is competitive. He is not a quitter so many kids would have been out of IU after getting beaten out.
If he transferred now he could only have immediate eligibility in FCS. Since he's already redshirted, this would be a lost year of eligibility to watch from the sidelines elsewhere. Just like Jalen Hurts, his wiser decision was always to stick around, play if needed, and then grad transfer to another FBS team. There would be absolutely no benefit to transferring at the point he found out that he wasn't the starter.

If he transferred now he could only have immediate eligibility in FCS. Since he's already redshirted, this would be a lost year of eligibility to watch from the sidelines elsewhere. Just like Jalen Hurts, his wiser decision was always to stick around, play if needed, and then grad transfer to another FBS team. There would be absolutely no benefit to transferring at the point he found out that he wasn't the starter.
And yet it happens frequently

If know this is blasphemy on here, but personally, I think Ramsey is the better of the two when it comes to the short to medium yardage passing game.

Ramsey appears to have better "touch" on the ball and throws a more catchable short range ball. Where there's not any argument is that Penix is better when we start throwing the 25 yard plus routes...

Maybe we could utilize both of them (dictated by Down & Distance... (more blasphemy;))

Reactions: vesuvius13

I like Penix ability to escape. That is something we will need all season with this offensive line. Ramsey? He has some legs but not the elusiveness.

When healthy Penix is the better QB I think.
But it’s sure nice to have a good,reliable backup like Ramsey.
I think half the league would be more than happy with him to take over when needed.
The kid just goes out and plays his heart out and seems to be taking his role as back up very well.
He has some limitations but he’s played pretty well in some hostile environments.
My hats off to the kid,he’s a gamer in my book.

Last edited:
Can he do that against MSU, Penn State, Michigan? This was one play against Maryland.
I don't know...you just stated Peyton doesn't have elusiveness, and I gave an example that he does.

But I agree with what I think your premise is that Penix is the overall best QB1 for IU right now. And we are blessed to have them both on the team.

Penix hasn't even shown he's capable of that against a Maryland level team

Penix has averaged 7.8 yards per rush in college, PR 2.7.....now I will grant PR has played against the tougher competition. In HS, they both ran a lot, but Penix avg. something like 2x the yards per rush. I think that would be the case in college as well had MP played against better competition.

When healthy Penix is the better QB I think.
But it’s sure nice to have a good,reliable backup like Ramsay.
I think half the league would be more than happy with him to take over when needed.
The kid just goes out and plays his heart out and seems to be taking his role as back up very well.
He has some limitations but he’s been played pretty well in some hostile environments.
My hats off to the kid,he’s a gamer in my book.

Agree with all this......it's really unfortunate that so much of IU fan's frustration with the program is falling on his shoulders. He is a gamer and deserves a lot of credit for his heart.

So the coach wants him to get sacked? Coaches never says things to not criticize a player. Never seen that happen. There are reasons he lost the position.

This constant Ramsey bashing is just so tiring and so unnecessary. The kid has an average arm. But he makes up for it in many ways. He is tough. He is competitive. He is not a quitter so many kids would have been out of IU after getting beaten out. He is smart the play vs Michigan in which he continued to run when the defense thought he was down. Contrary to many on this board he does not hold the ball and that is according to his coach not me was stated before the U Conn game. He is extremely accurate as he is the current IU all time percentage leader. Why do we need to bash this kid? It makes no sense to me. Is he perfect no but from what I have seen in limited time from Penix neither is he do I hope he gets hell yes .

So the coach wants him to get sacked? Coaches never says things to not criticize a player. Never seen that happen. There are reasons he lost the position.
I am not sure what you are talking about but the one key word you did mention was coach. That is the person who should do the critique. Not a person that believes they know what is going on.

I am not sure what you are talking about but the one key word you did mention was coach. That is the person who should do the critique. Not a person that believes they know what is going on.
Sometimes what you see is not what they are supposed to do. Sometimes a guy may get open and they are not in the read or the coach might have wanted them to do something specific.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
When you subtract the stats vs horrible teams, Penix still hasn't played yet....? Ramsey played against OSU. He was forced to rush 14 times. There was 5 sacks. You are going to compare Penix vs inferior opponents and say "Penix doesn't get sacked". I bet if Penix starts vs. MSU there will be a lot sacks.

Lets take a level playing field. Versus EIU:

Ramsey 13/14 226yds 2 TDS 99.4 QBR
Penix 14/20 197yds 2 TD's 91.7 QBR
Ramsey benefited from blown coverage when he was in and the WRs had to wait on the ball. The game was out of hand when Ramsey took over so the field wasn't level.

Ramsey benefited from blown coverage when he was in and the WRs had to wait on the ball. The game was out of hand when Ramsey took over so the field wasn't level.

The game was out of hand but how does that make the field not level? That is ridiculous unless you mean Ramsey had less in his favor than Penix? Ramsey likely began getting 2nd string IU players but the team down isn't putting in backups. They are trying just as hard.

Maybe he shouldn't have thrown it and taken the sack.
I love Ramsey, but INT's like that last year killed us at key moments.
Dude you can't use that pick 6 as an example. It would have been incomplete had Scott not tipped it. Not sure why people are still arguing about Penix/Ramsey? I thought Coach Allen has made it very clear who our number one is.

Dude you can't use that pick 6 as an example. It would have been incomplete had Scott not tipped it. Not sure why people are still arguing about Penix/Ramsey? I thought Coach Allen has made it very clear who our number one is.
Not only did he make it clear...Several of the reporters who were at fall camp said the difference between Penix and Ramsey is night and day. Not even close. Penix decision making and quick release would be a huge plus against a D-line like msu. Hendershot down the middle :).

Look, I have no questions about Penix being the QB1 for Indiana right now. But posters like to throw out blanket statements on this board like: "Ramsey has better touch/accuracy than Penix on short throws", or "Ramsey isn't elusive". So I'm just putting film out there that proves that's not necessarily true.

Bottom line to me is this: Penix has a stronger and "overall" more accurate arm. Let me explain. Not sure anyone can argue that PR has greater arm strength than Penix. That strength adds to accuracy for middle to deep throws. I have been preaching for months that arm strength is not just important on deep throws. It allows for hitting small windows in the mid-range game and gives WRs chance to operate in short game (ball and DB don't arrive at same time). I have not seen any real advantage of PR in making progressions. I have seen open players overlooked because progression occurs, in my opinion, too fast by PR. He simply goes safe quicker. As far as elusiveness, I really don't know at this stage, but it is a factor way down my list. PR seems like a great kid and is hard not to like him, but he will only take you so far with his ability and IU needs more out of that position.

Look, I have no questions about Penix being the QB1 for Indiana right now. But posters like to throw out blanket statements on this board like: "Ramsey has better touch/accuracy than Penix on short throws", or "Ramsey isn't elusive". So I'm just putting film out there that proves that's not necessarily true.
You won’t find any tape where Ramsey has half of the arm talent that Penix has.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Bottom line to me is this: Penix has a stronger and "overall" more accurate arm. Let me explain. Not sure anyone can argue that PR has greater arm strength than Penix. That strength adds to accuracy for middle to deep throws. I have been preaching for months that arm strength is not just important on deep throws. It allows for hitting small windows in the mid-range game and gives WRs chance to operate in short game (ball and DB don't arrive at same time). I have not seen any real advantage of PR in making progressions. I have seen open players overlooked because progression occurs, in my opinion, too fast by PR. He simply goes safe quicker. As far as elusiveness, I really don't know at this stage, but it is a factor way down my list. PR seems like a great kid and is hard not to like him, but he will only take you so far with his ability and IU needs more out of that position.
"He simply goes safe quicker" is a great line and analogy. Nice Post! Go Hoosiers!

You won’t find any tape where Ramsey has half of the arm talent that Penix has.
Why is this being discussed. Dumb argument! When we recruited Penix we brought every damn coach, not a few, all of them! Ryan Day wanted him, Florida wanted him, Florida State wanted him. There is a reason for that. The guy has that "IT" factor. Nothing against Peyton but he's not even in the same league for gawds sake. Just Stop!

The game was out of hand but how does that make the field not level? That is ridiculous unless you mean Ramsey had less in his favor than Penix? Ramsey likely began getting 2nd string IU players but the team down isn't putting in backups. They are trying just as hard.
Sorry, Ramsey had the #1s in and EIU was blowing coverages with different DBs in. I also should have said EIU was demoralized by the time Ramsey was in after his swing pass Walker took to the house. I thought Ramsey played well but still has his shortcomings to deal with. If IU had a quality OL [I really wonder about coach Hiller at this point and coach Allen sitting in the OL room this week] so Ramsey had a strong running game to lean on he would be adequate and able to beat B1G teams but that isn't where IU is right now.

Last edited:
Sorry, Ramsey had the #1s in and EIU was blowing coverages with different DBs in. I also should have said EIU was demoralized by the time Ramsey was in after his swing pass Walker took to the house. I thought Ramsey played well but still has his shortcomings to deal with. If IU had a quality OL [I really wonder about coach Hiller at this point and coach Allen sitting in the OL room this week] so Ramsey had a strong running game to lean on he would be adequate and able to beat B1G teams but that isn't where IU is right now.
I don't think its coach hiller. If you go look at the o line recruits in the 16 and 17 classes (last 2 classes of wilson) they were pretty underwhelming and a decent amount never started nor are they on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT