ADVERTISEMENT

Pearl

Of coure he would but we are too dumb to hire him.

Most incompetent administration in college sports history. Would kill it here but no he once had a recruit over to his house for an unsanctioned barbecue. Can't have that. Better to hire the mid major of the month so we can do this all over again in 3-4 years. These people are complete idiots.

Most incompetent administration in college sports history. Would kill it here but no he once had a recruit over to his house for an unsanctioned barbecue. Can't have that. Better to hire the mid major of the month so we can do this all over again in 3-4 years. These people are complete idiots.
I am sorry, but your statement is so over the top that I can't let it go. Basketball is king but administration has more to worry about than just the basketball team. We don't even know if we are truly even considering a new coach yet. The 24/7 sports management under Dolson and Glass have overall been doing better. I have been around for over 50 years and the real travesty with IU sports is the fact that we had no plan or administration to manage sports for most of the years. The fact that it took Greenspan to start putting together facilities plan and for others to follow through on it is the real travesty.

Sembower field was not even a good high school field for baseball. Volleyball and Wrestling had to play at off campus facility. Football facilities were horrible, no practice facility for basketball. Soccer facility just got a really nice upgrade to locker room and stadium. There are other positive things the administration has done for the overall sports programs at IU especially positively managing the budget with the increased Big Ten revenue.

I am sorry, but your statement is so over the top that I can't let it go. Basketball is king but administration has more to worry about than just the basketball team. We don't even know if we are truly even considering a new coach yet. The 24/7 sports management under Dolson and Glass have overall been doing better. I have been around for over 50 years and the real travesty with IU sports is the fact that we had no plan or administration to manage sports for most of the years. The fact that it took Greenspan to start putting together facilities plan and for others to follow through on it is the real travesty.

Sembower field was not even a good high school field for baseball. Volleyball and Wrestling had to play at off campus facility. Football facilities were horrible, no practice facility for basketball. Soccer facility just got a really nice upgrade to locker room and stadium. There are other positive things the administration has done for the overall sports programs at IU especially positively managing the budget with the increased Big Ten revenue.
you're absolutely right. under RMK we had such a great BB program that was all that most people ( at least those in authority ) seemed to care about. so many missed opportunities.

a nice wrestling facility or a perennial top 20 basketball team, most people would tell the men in tights that they can grapple with each other outdoors.

a nice wrestling facility or a perennial top 20 basketball team, most people would tell the men in tights that they can grapple with each other outdoors.
I am not judging that I am was responding to Dolson and administration. That Volleyball-Wrestling Facility has upgraded both recruiting and attendance. The basketball locker room was upgraded and is really nice and up to date. Cook hall was added during the Greenspan, Glass and Dolson era. The women's locker room was upgraded this past season. The women's basketball team is a top 20 team again and averaged over 10,000 fans a game. Only the third time in Big Ten history that a women's program has averaged over 10000 fans. I know you might not care but that ranks 5th or 6th in the nation.

Assuming that Pearl is the guy, would he leave Auburn in March right before the tournament?
No chance. In any case, it would probably take a contract that specifically states Bruce's son would would take over when he retires ... and we all know how well the coach-in-waiting (supposedly) thing worked last time.

I am not judging that I am was responding to Dolson and administration. That Volleyball-Wrestling Facility has upgraded both recruiting and attendance. The basketball locker room was upgraded and is really nice and up to date. Cook hall was added during the Greenspan, Glass and Dolson era. The women's locker room was upgraded this past season. The women's basketball team is a top 20 team again and averaged over 10,000 fans a game. Only the third time in Big Ten history that a women's program has averaged over 10000 fans. I know you might not care but that ranks 5th or 6th in the nation.
This is good stuff, but it’s mostly paid for by the big TV contracts delivered by the B1G. Our competitors are doing similar upgrades.

We also can’t downplay FB and BB — basically all the revenue. FB just had a bad three years and fired the coach. Bball is struggling and is likely going to have a coaching change in the next 12 months. Not good.

I don’t see much to congratulate our admin on yet aside from spending the B1G TV $ pretty well.

I am optimistic (kinda). Cig seems like a great hire and I’m really excited about him. I also think Dolson may be a good AD for the long haul. He came in with limited experience, seems to have learned some lessons, and I hope the higher ups let him do his job and support him.

Reactions: The Watson
No chance. In any case, it would probably take a contract that specifically states Bruce's son would would take over when he retires ... and we all know how well the coach-in-waiting (supposedly) thing worked last time.
Just saw an article saying he'd be a good fit at Ohio St.

I bet you'd feel differently if it was Rick flair vs hulk hogan. Or maybe rowdy roddie taking on stone cold. Now that's real rasslin!

• Haha
Reactions: wi_hoosier

Yet killing its money maker with a terrible product

What’s your take on all of this? You’re saying Pearl isn’t happening?
Whatever they decide to do it will need to happen pretty quick after the season ends. The portal starts right away and you really cannot sit around for a month deciding if you are going to fire woodson or not. It needs to happen within a week of the last game.

In the end I bet we go with May if a move is made.

May has deep connections to Indiana, attending as a student and serving as a manager under coach Bobby Knight from 1996-2000. He also worked under another former Indiana head coach, Mike Davis, while at UAB as an assistant from 2007-2009.

May’s most logical jump is likely to Indiana, his alma mater, but that does require the Hoosiers to move on from coach Mike Woodson. This season has been a disaster in Bloomington, but it’s unclear if Indiana is willing to pull the plug this early. If they do not, it could cost them a chance at May who might take a different job in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Tammany Hall

May has deep connections to Indiana, attending as a student and serving as a manager under coach Bobby Knight from 1996-2000. He also worked under another former Indiana head coach, Mike Davis, while at UAB as an assistant from 2007-2009.

May’s most logical jump is likely to Indiana, his alma mater, but that does require the Hoosiers to move on from coach Mike Woodson. This season has been a disaster in Bloomington, but it’s unclear if Indiana is willing to pull the plug this early. If they do not, it could cost them a chance at May who might take a different job in the Big Ten.
Much too risky

I dunno, man. I think Dolson needs to have a big fish lined up in order to justify canning MW to the BoT and donors.

That said, I'd be cool with May. I can see the hiring slogan now: "Hire May, make noise in March."

Of coure he would but we are too dumb to hire him.

Frankly, we should've hired him a long time ago.

But so many people in the realm of IU basketball -- admins, alums, boosters, fans -- just have a visceral reaction to a coach with baggage.

And I completely understand this.

They'll remind us of the saga of Kelvin Sampson and how that bit us in the butt. They'll remind us of the values instilled in the program under Coach Knight and how integral that is to the program's culture.

I get it. I really do. And I'm not discounting it.

But what we've been doing hasn't worked. And how much more tarnish are the PTBs going to allow our cherished MBB program to take on? Just how much mediocrity are they going to tolerate?

Bruce Pearl according to this board is like the basketball coach version of Chuck Norris.

Memes, we need memes.

What’s your take on all of this? You’re saying Pearl isn’t happening?
Could still happen. Dolson wants him and Pearl badly wants the job. But Dolson needs the BOT approval. The thinking/rumor is Buckner will block Dolson's #1 choice out of spite for firing his buddy. We'll likely get Dusty.

Frankly, we should've hired him a long time ago.

But so many people in the realm of IU basketball -- admins, alums, boosters, fans -- just have a visceral reaction to a coach with baggage.
not me

there are no rules anymore, it's the wild west

nil, the portal, fake classes, strippers, bags of cash, etc. bring 'em on......we need a gunslinger

just win baby

Could still happen. Dolson wants him and Pearl badly wants the job. But Dolson needs the BOT approval. The thinking/rumor is Buckner will block Dolson's #1 choice out of spite for firing his buddy. We'll likely get Dusty.
Link to that rumor?

We are not killing it any more than we have the past 20 years or so. They still sell all if not all-season tickets and get the Big Ten revenue so in the scheme of big business that college sports is today us being really good only drive so much. Not like it was. Football as bad as it has been more important for cash flow than basketball in today's world. IU was just known for basketball with the Knight years and two additional national championships prior to that. Bad basketball is not fun, but it is not the cash cow you think it is because it also has high expenses.

We are not killing it any more than we have the past 20 years or so. They still sell all if not all-season tickets and get the Big Ten revenue so in the scheme of big business that college sports is today us being really good only drive so much. Not like it was. Football as bad as it has been more important for cash flow than basketball in today's world. IU was just known for basketball with the Knight years and two additional national championships prior to that. Bad basketball is not fun, but it is not the cash cow you think it is because it also has high expenses.
Not as good as if we were paying a couple mil a year less and without a buyout and still sucking.

Seems like we could save money on sucking? More money left for other things.

But maybe not, maybe Woodson's goodwill, alum, player, decent IU guy, is what keeps sales up.

I, personally, can not WAIT for IU - and a lot of you - to get over this incessant need for the next coach to have some kind of IU tie. For fuks sake, people. There is a LOT of talent out there capable of winning here. GTF over your collective selves.

So it pays to suck then. Makes sense for Iu to keep sucking then I guess
Indiana football generates about 60M per year. They payout around 32M, so a profit of approx. 28M. Basktball generates 26M while paying 16M for a 10M profit.

The TV and conference share is just so much greater in football. Obviously, IU would want to win to push that "generated" number up.

Reactions: Shuski
assume you like to put the tights on with your buddies, sorry I offended you.
Big $$ sports deserve the attention and $$ they get, but that’s no reason to shit on the talents of other athletes that pour their blood, sweat, and tears into sports you’re too ignorant to try to understand

Reactions: Shuski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT