ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What should the NFL decide to do?

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
OK, up front… This decision is far, far, FAR less important than the status of Hamlin, for sure. But it is worth discussing.

There are tough choices to make regarding whether or not (& when) to resume the Bills-Bengals game, what happens to scheduled games this weekend, what if the Bills won’t play, etc. The NFL is a multibillion dollar business.

It would seem that you can’t just call off the Bills-Bengals game and also the Bills game this weekend, even if that “seems the right thing to do”. The playoff hopes of the Steelers, Dolphins, Titans, and Patriots (whether they each even make the playoffs or not) relies on the outcome of the Bills’ games 16 & 17. Then the seeding 1-3 of the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals rides on the outcomes as well. As does the NFL draft order.

Some options

• Resume last night’s game ASAP, perhaps Wednesday. This might require moving the next Bengals (vs. Ravens) and Bills (vs. Patriots) games back to next Monday afternoon or Tuesday. I think that the NFL by contract cannot schedule vs. the NCAA championship game on Monday night.
  • Play this weekend’s schedule and then determine if it is necessary to resume the Bills-Bengals game. If KC wins and Buffalo wins, then the only issue in question is if the Bills or Bengals are the #2 or #3 seed. Miami winning would get them in. Miami losing would get the Steelers or Titans in. Flip a coin for the #2 vs. #3 seed and resume the playoffs on schedule. If KC wins, Buffalo loses, and Cincinnati wins, then resuming the game seems meaningless.
  • Resume the Bills-Bengals game this weekend, push game 17 and the playoffs back a week, and cancel the extra week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. This was basically what happened after 9/11.
  • Declare the Bills-Bengals game a tie. Play other games this weekend.
Other possibilities?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I would assume the NFL has some kind of protocol for this (especially after 9/11, etc.). Now, will they follow that or veer off somewhere else? Who knows.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Declare a tie and move on. It might well create problems with the playoff seeding that will screw one team or the other, but there aren't any real choices. You can't ask these teams to play before the playoffs, and there is not other way to get this game in ahead of the weekend. Tomorrow is too quick of a turnaround given most of the Bills went back home.

Declare a tie and move on. It might well create problems with the playoff seeding that will screw one team or the other, but there aren't any real choices. You can't ask these teams to play before the playoffs, and there is not other way to get this game in ahead of the weekend. Tomorrow is too quick of a turnaround given most of the Bills went back home.
Can the teams themselves declare a tie? I don't think so. So, I think, the only thing either the Bills or Bengals could do is forfeit.

I don't think they can even reschedule their own games.

Can the teams themselves declare a tie? I don't think so. So, I think, the only thing either the Bills or Bengals could do is forfeit.

I think last night the NFL did want the game played (though they now deny it) and the players from both teams said no. My guess is that is what would happen now. The NFL is a close-knit community, no way the Bengals show up for a game the Bills don't want to.

Reactions: larsIU
it seems a quick resumption of last nights game will not happen, if this tweet is legit

edit: it is legit, as Adam Schefter confirmed by tweet

Last edited:
I think last night the NFL did want the game played (though they now deny it) and the players from both teams said no. My guess is that is what would happen now. The NFL is a close-knit community, no way the Bengals show up for a game the Bills don't want to.
I don't believe that Marv, I think the NFL handled everything pretty damn well last night all things considered.

it seems a quick resumption of last nights game will not happen, if this tweet is legit

edit: it is legit, as Adam Schefter confirmed by tweet
Game won't be played. If there's something that needs decided and can't be with this game undecided, they should do it by coinflip after the last game of the season on Sunday.

Hopefully from Damar Hamlin's hospital room as he flips the coin.

I don't believe that Marv, I think the NFL handled everything pretty damn well last night all things considered.
It is possible that someone at ABC made up the 5 minute warm up period. But the teams were staying out on the field for several minutes after the ambulance left. Maybe no one told them to leave, or... .

I think that the on-field refs, until advised otherwise, were acting like it was any other cart-off injury and following a 5-minute cool-off routine. But Joe Buck did at one point attribute the 5 minutes to something "coming from the NFL". But that could still mean the head ref.

It is possible that someone at ABC made up the 5 minute warm up period. But the teams were staying out on the field for several minutes after the ambulance left. Maybe no one told them to leave, or... .
would say there were a lot of moving pieces, and a lot of chaos going on, I would certainly think if over 100 players were told to get ready, we are playing, we would have players all over the media today complaining

Declaring a tie would be detrimental to both the Bengals and Bill's. If I'm either of those teams, I'm screaming for no contest.

so, if a team is say 13-3 that's a winning percentage of 81.2, if a team is 13-3-1 what would there winning percentage be? because what I'm hearing is if a team play less games, then it goes to winning percentage. I really don't know how the tie is calculated.

so, if a team is say 13-3 that's a winning percentage of 81.2, if a team is 13-3-1 what would there winning percentage be? because what I'm hearing is if a team play less games, then it goes to winning percentage. I really don't know how the tie is calculated.
13-3-1 would be 79.4. A tie is considered half a win and half a loss.

Declaring a tie would be detrimental to both the Bengals and Bill's. If I'm either of those teams, I'm screaming for no contest.

I guess it depends on the rules the NFL has in place. If no game is played, and Buffalo and KC win out, KC has a 1/2 game lead over the Bills (14-3 vs 13-3). I don't know how the NFL deals with 1/2 games as they don't have that happen. If KC and Buffalo lose and the bnegals win, KC has a 1/2 game lead on both the Bengals and the Bills. (13-4 vs 12-4 and 12-4). Any way it is sliced, KC has a better win percentage by virtue of one more win.

The solution that makes the most sense is finish the game this weekend and move everything else back a week. At least, that makes the most sense for the teams.

That would wreak havoc on literally everyone else though.

The solution that makes the most sense is finish the game this weekend and move everything else back a week. At least, that makes the most sense for the teams.

That would wreak havoc on literally everyone else though.
Yeah they do have that extra week before the Super Bowl, which I’ve always thought was stupid.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
OK, up front… This decision is far, far, FAR less important than the status of Hamlin, for sure. But it is worth discussing.

There are tough choices to make regarding whether or not (& when) to resume the Bills-Bengals game, what happens to scheduled games this weekend, what if the Bills won’t play, etc. The NFL is a multibillion dollar business.

It would seem that you can’t just call off the Bills-Bengals game and also the Bills game this weekend, even if that “seems the right thing to do”. The playoff hopes of the Steelers, Dolphins, Titans, and Patriots (whether they each even make the playoffs or not) relies on the outcome of the Bills’ games 16 & 17. Then the seeding 1-3 of the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals rides on the outcomes as well. As does the NFL draft order.

Some options

• Resume last night’s game ASAP, perhaps Wednesday. This might require moving the next Bengals (vs. Ravens) and Bills (vs. Patriots) games back to next Monday afternoon or Tuesday. I think that the NFL by contract cannot schedule vs. the NCAA championship game on Monday night.
  • Play this weekend’s schedule and then determine if it is necessary to resume the Bills-Bengals game. If KC wins and Buffalo wins, then the only issue in question is if the Bills or Bengals are the #2 or #3 seed. Miami winning would get them in. Miami losing would get the Steelers or Titans in. Flip a coin for the #2 vs. #3 seed and resume the playoffs on schedule. If KC wins, Buffalo loses, and Cincinnati wins, then resuming the game seems meaningless.
  • Resume the Bills-Bengals game this weekend, push game 17 and the playoffs back a week, and cancel the extra week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. This was basically what happened after 9/11.
  • Declare the Bills-Bengals game a tie. Play other games this weekend.
Other possibilities?
play a quarter under overtime rules after next week’s games.

play a quarter under overtime rules after next week’s games.
The NFL operates by specific bylaws. There is debate about whether Goodell has the authority to order (say) the Bills to forfeit, or to declare the game a tie. He can cancel the game or have it resumed, by the bylaws.

But he also has some vague "acting in the best interests of the game" powers.

Any guess as to what they do, most likely seems to be pushing the start of the playoffs back a week. But that is also a tough situation for both teams as they would end up playing a team that basically had a bye week (if one of them isn't the #1 seed)

No real good options this late in the year.

Any guess as to what they do, most likely seems to be pushing the start of the playoffs back a week. But that is also a tough situation for both teams as they would end up playing a team that basically had a bye week (if one of them isn't the #1 seed)

No real good options this late in the year.
I assume stadium scheduling might get dicey

The NFL operates by specific bylaws. There is debate about whether Goodell has the authority to order (say) the Bills to forfeit, or to declare the game a tie. He can cancel the game or have it resumed, by the bylaws.

But he also has some vague "acting in the best interests of the game" powers.
Whatever the solution, it should be done by agreement, not by a mandate.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
So... the game will not be resumed. No contest. 0-0.

Seeding based on winning percentage

Why is there talk of a neutral site afc championship game? I'm lost on that one.
Because KC will be #1 seed at 14-3, Buffalo #2 at 13-3 (if they win today).

But if Buffalo had beaten Cincinnati they would have been the #1 seed over KC due to a tiebreaker. Both 14-3.

So the 16 vs. 17 games played screwed the Bills from having a shot at #1 seed and a bye. If they were to meet in the conference finals, to not have them be double screwed, any KC-Buffalo game will be at a neutral site.

Reactions: UncleMark

But if Buffalo had beaten Cincinnati they would have been the #1 seed over KC due to a tiebreaker. Both 14-3.

So the 16 vs. 17 games played screwed the Bills from having a shot at #1 seed and a bye. If they were to meet in the conference finals, to not have them be double screwed, any KC-Buffalo game will be at a neutral site.

I think this is the best of a bunch of bad options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT