ADVERTISEMENT

B1G records following the first two weekends of the season...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Here's the link to where things stand non-conference-wise with not all schedules of the same quality.

I was watching how B1G favorite Iowa was doing this weekend against solid competition and they dropped all three games to go 3-4. Their starting pitching has looked solid, but they have shown some major cracks with their bullpen and have lost leads when the starting pitching was pulled. Iowa has a win over Loras which is not a D-1 program and doesn't count toward their RPI and they are listed as 2-4 at Warren Nolans although their record is 3-4.

I thought there was a slight bit of interest in how Purdue did against George Mason in a four-game series this weekend after we saw George Mason in the Baseball on the Beach tournament. The Boilers took three of four from the Patriots. I really don't understand Purdue's non-conference scheduling and they seem to schedule for wins with a somewhat weak schedule, but really have no chance for the post season unless they make the field for the B1G tournament and win the tournament. The Boilers have already had a four-game series with Stony Brook and now a four-game series with George Mason, with home four-game series left with Albany and Samford, and a home three-game series with East Tennessee State. They do play at #11 East Carolina next weekend in a four team tournament with a field of Southeastern Louisiana and Cal State Fullerton, but East Carolina is the only one of those teams with a strong start to the season. They do have midweek games with Notre Dame and Indiana State which won't be easy.

I guess we need to just worry about IU and let things fall the way they will.

Last edited:
Here's the link to where things stand non-conference-wise with not all schedules of the same quality.

I was watching how B1G favorite Iowa was doing this weekend against solid competition and they dropped all three games to go 3-4. Their starting pitching has looked solid, but they have shown some major cracks with their bullpen and have lost leads when the starting pitching was pulled. Iowa has a win over Loras which is not a D-1 program and doesn't count toward their RPI and they are listed as 2-4 at Warren Nolans although their record is 3-4.

I thought there was a slight bit of interest in how Purdue did against George Mason in a four-game series this weekend after we saw George Mason in the Baseball on the Beach tournament. The Boilers took three of four from the Patriots. I really don't understand Purdue's non-conference scheduling and they seem to schedule for wins with a somewhat weak schedule, but really have no chance for the post season unless they make the field for the B1G tournament and win the tournament. The Boilers have already had a four-game series with Stony Brook and now a four-game series with George Mason, with home four-game series left with Albany and Samford, and a home three-game series with East Tennessee State. They do play at #11 East Carolina next weekend in a four team tournament with a field of Southeastern Louisiana and Cal State Fullerton, but East Carolina is the only one of those teams with a strong start to the season. They do have midweek games with Notre Dame and Indiana State which won't be easy.

I guess we need to just worry about IU and let things fall the way they will.
I actually really like playing tough teams early. Gives a good early measuring stick and helps show our guys what traditional powerhouses look like.

Reactions: TomEric4756
When you are good team like IU is, you should schedule really good opponents. When you suck like Purdue does, you should schedule like they do, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
When you are good team like IU is, you should schedule really good opponents. When you suck like Purdue does, you should schedule like they do, lol.
Actually, they have been scheduling like this for several seasons now. Do you remember when they went 15-0 to start the season in 2022, which I believe was a team record? They were criticized by many for what was the weakest non-conference schedule in the B1G that year. They ended up with a losing conference record that season. You need to play some teams that will challenge you in the non-conference part of the season to get you ready for the rigors of the conference season. Purdue made the B1G tournament that year as the next to last seed, and they were promptly eliminated in two games.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I think stony brook beat lsu in one game this past weekend how’d pu do against them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT