ADVERTISEMENT

On to Xavier

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
No longer worried about playing Xavier on the road - no idea what the Musketeers are about but haven't seen an IU Team play with this much defensive coherence/intensity in ever, and the offense is so vastly improved from last year that it's really not comparable. I know, subpar competition but execution is execution, defense travels and depth is a real thing.

IU was 10-16 from three (over 60%) from deep after halftime before missing it's last eight attempts and have never seen a Team go 21-22 from the line. Learning curve about to get much steeper for the Freshmen on the road in their first nationally televised game but like them/Staff having a whole week to work on things.

Friend said with amazement last night, "They're playing like a Team!" Someone here said re: XJ that he doesn't need to try/work as hard now because of the depth so hopefully that contributes to him being more judicious/surgical in his decision-making. Seems JHS was sort of leaning into it overmuch last night, but everyone seems to have markedly improved over the summer though am inclined to give Jordan the prize he's not just athletic, he's also fast with quick hands, has a smooth stroke and best of all, seems to have figured out where he's supposed to be on defense. Last year regularly got lost and/or was out of position, not the case this year.

Last edited:
Was able to listen to fish and suhr and they pointed out how engaged the bench was cheering on the players on the court and when you couple that with the number of assists (23?) shows you this is a team in every sense of the word and that they are buying into what Woodson is selling or the “shit” as he called it earlier

• Love
Reactions: 2 old 2 play
They're definitely fun to watch so far.

Highlights so far through 2 games...

1. JHS is as good as advertised. This was hugely important to everyone's lofty aspirations. He is still a freshman, so he'll have some tough games, I'm sure. But it took me 3 minutes against Morehead State to know he's gonna be a problem for the B10 this year.

2. Jordan looks like he's bought into being a nightmarish defender. If that plays out over the entire season...1)his draft stock will skyrocket 2)our team's "floor" becomes much higher as well

3. Malik is so dang good. I wouldn't be shocked if he plays himself into potential 1 and done territory. The only thing anchoring him from that might end up being he's not a traditionally elite athlete.

4. The mood. This team looks like they are having fun. They cheer for each other, they laugh at each other. Its sooooo refreshing! And its not like its all sunshine and daisies either...did anyone catch Woody getting in TJD's chit walking off the floor at halftime?

5. The Assembly Hall crowds have been amazing! Even in some of our other expected good years, games like these would have been flat. I wasn't there, so I can't attest to the experience inside the gym, but from TV, it sure seemed like B10 level excitement! Can't fathom what November 30 is going to be like.

• Love
Reactions: 2 old 2 play
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT