ADVERTISEMENT

On a positive note: We finally found our QB & a RB.

Sorsby completed what, one pass over 10 or 13 yards in the entire game. Two.plays in a row, he led his receivers into bone crushing hits.

Davis and Jackson may both be decent a couple years down the line. They're not close at this point.

You thought Sorsby looked good in that game? Did we watch the same game? Dude was awful, and almost got Lucas killed.
He had one deep ball dropped and should have been able to connect with Camper deep 3 or 4 other times if the CB hadn't been able to hang onto his arm and get "No Call" every time...

He took what was there with that throw over the middle... Having 12 run that route was the problem...

He was far from perfect but he played the position well enough to win if we had a Defense and actually got the clear Pass Interference calls that went uncalled...

Howland and Turner both looked good.
Howland 9 for 54 yards,
Turner 4 for 23 yards

How we don't run the ball more than we did the first three quarters is baffling. We run to get a drive going, then stop running. Or came out with three passes for a 3 and out.

Sorsby wasn't great. Made a couple bad calls to keep it when he should have handed off ( the one on first down that lost a yard followed by the trick play that lost a couple), really needed a drive there and didn't run the ball.

Sorsby checked down throwing short of the first down several times, not even giving us a chance for a first.

Would have been closer without the blocked and muffed punts. but on a day when Rutgers kept our Defense on the field by running it we could have did the same thing

Reactions: vesuvius13
He had one deep ball dropped and should have been able to connect with Camper deep 3 or 4 other times if the CB hadn't been able to hang onto his arm and get "No Call" every time...

He took what was there with that throw over the middle... Having 12 run that route was the problem...

He was far from perfect but he played the position well enough to win if we had a Defense and actually got the clear Pass Interference calls that went uncalled..
Would have liked to see at least one PI call.

Or a face mask on their RBs who grabbed it almost every play on a defender.

This is the part where the sunshine pumpers can get their 8-10 posters believing this team will win 7-9 games next year.

Reactions: vesuvius13
QB-wise, was he great? No, but so far, he’s been better than Jackson. Rutgers got a couple breaks (and 10 points) against IU’s (not so) Special Teams. Those were both killers!!!

From there RU was able to play bully ball, not having to risk anything, just run, run, run.

And saying that, BTW, how does S&C Coach Wellman still have a job? Can’t IU poach one of Ballou’s understudies at Alabama and get at least similar results?

I could not make game but watched. I thought Sorsby struggled passing he led to far on shorter routes and underthrew most passes that were 15 yards or more. Howland runs hard and has good leg drive it definitely is worth giving him work earlier in a game to see how he does.

Defense left on the field too much again. My optimistic chance for a couple of wins got cut in half and that might be generous.

I could not make game but watched. I thought Sorsby struggled passing he led to far on shorter routes and underthrew most passes that were 15 yards or more. Howland runs hard and has good leg drive it definitely is worth giving him work earlier in a game to see how he does.

Defense left on the field too much again. My optimistic chance for a couple of wins got cut in half and that might be generous.
A big reason the defense was on the field so much was because they couldn’t get Rutgers stopped, It wasn’t only because of ineptness by the offense. It was death by a thousand cuts.

Aside from Camper (who had to play all day with a Rutgers CB hanging onto his left arm) which other "good" WR's do you speak of? The other guys either drop every other ball or don't get open to begin with...
McCulley, Cooper, Carter, Camper and Williams are all more capable WRs than any of the QBs are at playing their position.

Reactions: Vern Pain
This game made it clear the shortcoming is coaching as the talent was the difference between the two teams. How many STs screw ups can Teegardian have before getting fired. It is clear coach Allen has reached the end of his time at IU now it is up to Dolson if he is ready to end his IU career.

He was far from perfect but he played the position well enough to win if we had a Defense and actually got the clear Pass Interference calls that went uncalled...
Yeah, the refs cost IU the game, haha. What a joke.

Yeah, the refs cost IU the game, haha. What a joke.
The refs didn't cost us the game (as I said in my original post on this subject) but the score would have been much closer had the Field Judge called it straight...

Makes you wonder if he was playing the spread. Sure looked like it...

If you didn't see that you either didn't watch the game or simply don't know what you're looking at...

1- on the play that killed Jaylin, DMac was WIDE open and should have been in Sorsby’s vision

2- I liked Sorsby’s ability to scramble and extend plays. Ramsey-esque in that regard.

3- Sorsby did a good job at handling some really shaky snaps by Carpenter.

4- Sorsby’s deep passes didn’t look great overall. Many were catchable to 50/50, but he missed a few at least where he just didn’t place the ball the best.

5- I’m not sure if it’s playcalling or a freshmen scared of mistakes, but damn near everything was a swing pass or bubble screen. Very few shots down the field. It’s possible there were a lot of check downs, but push the freaking ball down the field some.

6- For the love of all things good, stop forcing it to Jaylin. He can be a weapon (when he cuts upfield instead of trying to outrun everyone to the edge), but it can’t be everything either be a bubble to him or a fade to Camper. Carey said he wanted the offense to do more of the things that work and fewer of the things that don’t. We shouldn’t be seeing hardly any bubbles to Jaylin then.

I, too, liked Howland. Mentioned on a previous thread, looks like he’s the guy that should’ve been running all these plays between tackle all year.
I have been talking about him since last year. I don't think he's ever been tackled for a loss. Here's a team desperate for an offensive boost and they couldn't even figure out they had a bruising back all this time. It's one thing to lose; it's another to lose when you don't even know who your best players are.

I have been talking about him since last year. I don't think he's ever been tackled for a loss. Here's a team desperate for an offensive boost and they couldn't even figure out they had a bruising back all this time. It's one thing to lose; it's another to lose when you don't even know who your best players are.
He and a couple others are getting a chance because of Carey. Also Sorsby.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1

Sorsby made some good throws that weren’t caught. QB isn’t the problem though. It’s way deeper.
Sorsby strikes me as the least of our issues. I think three of his balls were dropped. He put five catchable jump balls up and our receivers came down with zero. On three of them there was past interference. If two of those pass interference calls are made the offense has a different storyline. I thought the offense clearly improved against a top defensive team. The special teams play was unforgivable, as was the defense giving up a 75 yard play. Every game they give up some game breaking big play. Ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT