ADVERTISEMENT

On a Positive Note…

Fpeaugh2

Sophomore
Mar 16, 2021
I know you’re probably thinking someone hacked my account. I haven’t posted much positive stuff since the Iowa debacle. It’s still me.

But on a positive note I’m impressed with the staff holding the recruiting class together thus far. You know other coaches are calling these kids and they’re hearing from everyone the “are you sure?” line. I’m personally shocked we haven’t lost a bunch of kids. Speaks to the relationships this staff has built. And to the culture and type of kids they’re recruiting. I’m not sure I’d be the same way as a recruit if I had other great options.

I know you’re probably thinking someone hacked my account. I haven’t posted much positive stuff since the Iowa debacle. It’s still me.

But on a positive note I’m impressed with the staff holding the recruiting class together thus far. You know other coaches are calling these kids and they’re hearing from everyone the “are you sure?” line. I’m personally shocked we haven’t lost a bunch of kids. Speaks to the relationships this staff has built. And to the culture and type of kids they’re recruiting. I’m not sure I’d be the same way as a recruit if I had other great options.
So who is this again??

Reactions: Al Bino

One of the reasons I'm rooting so hard for Tom Allen to weather this storm and get things back on track is that the culture of "LEO" presents an opportunity to upgrade the talent. We obviously cannot sell top recruits the goods they are going to get at OSU, PSU, Michigan - 100k stadiums, wagon loads of Nike swag, the "best of the best" of everything, statewide hero adulation, football as the centerpiece of the athletic program, etc. We cannot realistically claim that we are going to compete for the FBS playoffs or even win the B1G championship in a stacked division.

What we can sell is a culture that creates a unique experience and a family atmosphere. That can be a powerful attraction for a lot of kids (and parents). I personally believe that it is a sincere approach on Coach Allen's part and is perhaps the one biggest advantage we have to offer ( of course that and the fact that if you are any good at all you should see early and extensive PT given the talent level of our current group). But another train wreck of a season like this, and it will be a really tough sell. High quality recruits expect to play in bowl games. I don't think most of them worry a lot about which bowl ( and the best of the best aren't choosing us over Alabama and OSU anyway), but they aren't going to choose a program that routinely misses. Next year is critical not just for the immediate future but for the long term viability of the program as well.

Finishing with a winning season and a bowl next year is crucial. Beating any of the programs that we rarely if ever beat would go a long way toward boosting the program. Even in mediocre years, Purdue always knocks off one or two teams they aren't expected to and that generates excitement for the program even if other expectations aren't exceeded. With the glaring exception of 2020, we have been miserable as underdogs. If we are ever going to gain credibility as a serious contender for top talent, we have to beat a historically good team or two in a season where they are living up to their own historical status.

One of the reasons I'm rooting so hard for Tom Allen to weather this storm and get things back on track is that the culture of "LEO" presents an opportunity to upgrade the talent. We obviously cannot sell top recruits the goods they are going to get at OSU, PSU, Michigan - 100k stadiums, wagon loads of Nike swag, the "best of the best" of everything, statewide hero adulation, football as the centerpiece of the athletic program, etc. We cannot realistically claim that we are going to compete for the FBS playoffs or even win the B1G championship in a stacked division.

What we can sell is a culture that creates a unique experience and a family atmosphere. That can be a powerful attraction for a lot of kids (and parents). I personally believe that it is a sincere approach on Coach Allen's part and is perhaps the one biggest advantage we have to offer ( of course that and the fact that if you are any good at all you should see early and extensive PT given the talent level of our current group). But another train wreck of a season like this, and it will be a really tough sell. High quality recruits expect to play in bowl games. I don't think most of them worry a lot about which bowl ( and the best of the best aren't choosing us over Alabama and OSU anyway), but they aren't going to choose a program that routinely misses. Next year is critical not just for the immediate future but for the long term viability of the program as well.

Finishing with a winning season and a bowl next year is crucial. Beating any of the programs that we rarely if ever beat would go a long way toward boosting the program. Even in mediocre years, Purdue always knocks off one or two teams they aren't expected to and that generates excitement for the program even if other expectations aren't exceeded. With the glaring exception of 2020, we have been miserable as underdogs. If we are ever going to gain credibility as a serious contender for top talent, we have to beat a historically good team or two in a season where they are living up to their own historical status.
Selling IU...

1. One of the southernmost B10 schools. Maryland is a tick further south. But if we're competing with the MSUs, NW's, Iowas, Wisconsins, Purdues of the world...Bloomington generally has the best weather.
2. Everyone has great facilities nowadays. I'd say a few years ago we had advantages over most of the schools I mentioned. But not as much any more. But having said that, we have a lot to sell to recruits in this area.
3. LEO probably does resonate with some. I suspect it doesn't with many. But it is a differentiator, for sure.
4. Playing time, exposure, and the chance to play against OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State EVERY YEAR!!! This one is almost the SEC's mindset and advantage. Just being on Bama, Goergia, Florida, etc... schedule attracts top level recruits to the other SEC schools. Our schedule, along with Maryland and Rutgers, is one of the most difficult every single season because we have to play those 4 teams every year.

Selling IU...

1. One of the southernmost B10 schools. Maryland is a tick further south. But if we're competing with the MSUs, NW's, Iowas, Wisconsins, Purdues of the world...Bloomington generally has the best weather.
2. Everyone has great facilities nowadays. I'd say a few years ago we had advantages over most of the schools I mentioned. But not as much any more. But having said that, we have a lot to sell to recruits in this area.
3. LEO probably does resonate with some. I suspect it doesn't with many. But it is a differentiator, for sure.
4. Playing time, exposure, and the chance to play against OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State EVERY YEAR!!! This one is almost the SEC's mindset and advantage. Just being on Bama, Goergia, Florida, etc... schedule attracts top level recruits to the other SEC schools. Our schedule, along with Maryland and Rutgers, is one of the most difficult every single season because we have to play those 4 teams every year.

People forget about these kids are humans that have built relationships with these coaches for some time, in most cases, YEARS, like Trevell Mullen. The kids and their guardians trust coach Allen that he'll have their best interest at heart and get then ready for not only football, but life in general.

These kids and their families are way more tuned into what's going on then we are.

Who are you and do you have the real Fpeaugh2 duct taped to a chair??

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
People forget about these kids are humans that have built relationships with these coaches for some time, in most cases, YEARS, like Trevell Mullen. The kids and their guardians trust coach Allen that he'll have their best interest at heart and get then ready for not only football, but life in general.

These kids and their families are way more tuned into what's going on then we are.
No question. But they also have great relationships with other coaches too. A lot of recruitments come down to razor thin margins and that’s why you see so many decommitments and transfers.

Selling IU...

I agree with all except #2. We’re WAY behind in facilities. Always have been. We’ve improved at a slower pace than our peers so the gap just keeps widening. Playing time is obviously our biggest selling point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT