ADVERTISEMENT

Official: Crean to Georgia

You calling BS on anything related to IU athletics is meaningless. However, if you know certain Trustees or even a very specific one or if you know connected media members, this should be easy for you to verify. Most people with close connections to IU and the Athletic Department know most, if not all, of the story. Perhaps you can find such a person and become more informed.
Specific sources please. Names, dates, specific quotes. Otherwise it didn't happen and you just made more sh!+ up as you have done repeatedly with all 15 of your user names.

Specific sources please. Names, dates, specific quotes. Otherwise it didn't happen and you just made more sh!+ up as you have done repeatedly with all 15 of your user names.
Nope, and it's meaningless that you question it in any way. It happened as I said, and you'd have far better insight if your connection to IU and her athletics department was much, much stronger. Your frustration at being on the outside is palpable, but it's up to you to become better educated if you want to discuss any subject credibly.

Nope, and it's meaningless that you question it in any way. It happened as I said, and you'd have far better insight if your connection to IU and her athletics department was much, much stronger. Your frustration at being on the outside is palpable, but it's up to you to become better educated if you want to discuss any subject credibly.
Ahhh, Ordy. Still can't let any perceived slight go. Still can't stay away. You are a sick man. And, BTW, you have no inside info - but I'm sure one of the many personalities living inside your head believes it does. You don't have anyone here fooled about anything. After all, anybody who constantly lies about his identity lies about what he knows as well.

Ahhh, Ordy. Still can't let any perceived slight go. Still can't stay away. You are a sick man. And, BTW, you have no inside info - but I'm sure one of the many personalities living inside your head believes it does. You don't have anyone here fooled about anything. After all, anybody who constantly lies about his identity lies about what he knows as well.
There was no perceived slight from my perspective. I simply have insight into something you don't, for obvious reasons, and you're throwing a tantrum because of it. If, however, you just have to keep this little charade up, I'll happily share with you everything you'd like to know. Simply email me your full name and telephone number and I'll email and call you with the details you'd like to know. If you really want to know this stuff, I'm sure I'll be hearing from you shortly.

Edit: Amazingly, Old Coug wasnt quite so curious after all.

Last edited:
There was no perceived slight from my perspective. I simply have insight into something you don't, for obvious reasons, and you're throwing a tantrum because of it. If, however, you just have to keep this little charade up, I'll happily share with you everything you'd like to know. Simply email me your full name and telephone number and I'll email and call you with the details you'd like to know. Blockchargelarge@gmail.com. If you really want to know this stuff, I'm sure I'll be hearing from you shortly.
Please enlightened us and let us know your supreme expertise when it comes to your inside knowledge of the athletic department. If you can't give us your real name and let us know how you know all of this inside stuff that we don't just shut up and leave this board. Nobody wants you here but your ego just can't let you leave or it is your multiple personalities that won't let you go.

Please enlightened us and let us know your supreme expertise when it comes to your inside knowledge of the athletic department. If you can't give us your real name and let us know how you know all of this inside stuff that we don't just shut up and leave this board. Nobody wants you here but your ego just can't let you leave or it is your multiple personalities that won't let you go.
Please "enlightened" us? So special, Scott.

Please "enlightened" us? So special, Scott.
I never said I have any inside info like you which everyone knows that you don't. You also proved my point that you can't let anything go and have to have the last word on everything. I wish this board could find away to ban your but and have away where you can't come back under another user name. You have ruined this board for a lot of long time posters with your constant drivel and wish the mods on this board would have enough balls to ban you.

I never said I have any inside info like you which everyone knows that you don't. You also proved my point that you can't let anything go and have to have the last word on everything. I wish this board could find away to ban your but and have away where you can't come back under another user name. You have ruined this board for a lot of long time posters with your constant drivel and wish the mods on this board would have enough balls to ban you.
Another special post from a very special poster. Well done, Scott.

Reactions: Lucy01
Another special post from a very special poster. Well done, Scott.
I guess it time to put you butt on ignore because you bring no actual basketball knowledge to this board. All you want to do is troll this board and ruin every thread on this board. You really need some help because of all the different personalities in your head. You win and you can have the last word because we all know you can't let things go.

Reactions: IUgradman
Get out of here ! IU fans blindly followed Crean even though you knew he was a bad hire and should have been fired ? Why are you just now telling us this ? If we had only known you felt this way ! You have done us all a grave disservice and let us all down by just now informing us what you knew about Crean all along.
It was a joke.

And if you really don’t know you must be new. I was saying this in 2011. And I was ridiculed for years because of it.

Reactions: Block charge large
Cult? Really? I do remember that there were a few folks who blindly defended CTC, but not sure if they were true believers, relatives, or just wanted to be contrary all of the time to get a reaction. Sound familiar?

Just an aside, aren't you the guy who claimed, with great assurance no less, that Billy Donovan was going to be the coach at IU after Tommy?
You must be new to the board. Welcome!

I was the guy for 7 years telling people Crean was not the answer. And I was ridiculed.

I was the guy who said a year ago that Crean was in his final year. And I was ridiculed. “He just won the Big Ten!”

I heard from two separate members of the BOT who I’m personal friends with that he was on his final rope. No one wanted to hear it. Until the piper had to be paid.

Again, welcome to the board!

Wish I would have caught this thread earlier. Pretty clear how most of you feel about the guy. One thing you have to understand - the basketball expectations at IU and UGA are not the same. I would liken it to IU football targeting Mark Richt after we fired him. You would drop whoever was your coach to take Richt because of his relatively strong track record. There are definitely things about Richt that wore Dawg fans out, but most would admit he’s a good enough guy and a solid coach overall. No doubt IU expects to win big and Crean did not meet their expectations, but I think it’s silly to act like the guy can’t coach. He inherited an absolute shit show at IU as I’m pretty sure you all are aware and turned it around. Did he hit his ceiling? Probably, but his ceiling is fine for us, at least at this point. We just want to have some fun in the tournament every now and then. Maybe one day if he takes us to a Sweet 16 or two and we feel he’s hit his ceiling, then we’ll be better suited to make an even better hire at that point. Baby steps. People talk about turnovers being an issue, well, they’ve already been an issue for us, so that’s nothing new. Crean has twice the amount of Sweet 16s in his career than UGA in its whole program history, so you can imagine why we might be excited. We’ve suffered through incredibly stagnant offenses under Fox, so running an up tempo offense that shoots threes sounds pretty good to me. Could we have found a better mid-major coach? Maybe so, but this was a perception hire as much as it was a progress hire. We needed to show people we’re serious about basketball and Crean is widely regarded as a big name because of his time at Marquette and IU. Anyway, just wanted to give my thoughts.

Wish I would have caught this thread earlier. Pretty clear how most of you feel about the guy. One thing you have to understand - the basketball expectations at IU and UGA are not the same. I would liken it to IU football targeting Mark Richt after we fired him. You would drop whoever was your coach to take Richt because of his relatively strong track record. There are definitely things about Richt that wore Dawg fans out, but most would admit he’s a good enough guy and a solid coach overall. No doubt IU expects to win big and Crean did not meet their expectations, but I think it’s silly to act like the guy can’t coach. He inherited an absolute shit show at IU as I’m pretty sure you all are aware and turned it around. Did he hit his ceiling? Probably, but his ceiling is fine for us, at least at this point. We just want to have some fun in the tournament every now and then. Maybe one day if he takes us to a Sweet 16 or two and we feel he’s hit his ceiling, then we’ll be better suited to make an even better hire at that point. Baby steps. People talk about turnovers being an issue, well, they’ve already been an issue for us, so that’s nothing new. Crean has twice the amount of Sweet 16s in his career than UGA in its whole program history, so you can imagine why we might be excited. We’ve suffered through incredibly stagnant offenses under Fox, so running an up tempo offense that shoots threes sounds pretty good to me. Could we have found a better mid-major coach? Maybe so, but this was a perception hire as much as it was a progress hire. We needed to show people we’re serious about basketball and Crean is widely regarded as a big name because of his time at Marquette and IU. Anyway, just wanted to give my thoughts.
You always go with a promising up and comer than a proven incompetent, no matter what the program. If a coach can't hack it at a better program, they won't do any better at a lesser program. You just got sold a lemon. You just took a step backwards, not a step forward. Don't shoot the messenger. Hopefully, it doesn't take your fans as long to get from denial to acceptance.

You always go with a promising up and comer than a proven incompetent, no matter what the program. If a coach can't hack it at a better program, they won't do any better at a lesser program. You just got sold a lemon. You just took a step backwards, not a step forward. Don't shoot the messenger. Hopefully, it doesn't take your fans as long to get from denial to acceptance.
A “proven incompetent” doesn’t win 27+ games, have single digit losses and get to the Sweet 16 three separate times even at a perceived basketball blue blood. Is he an elite coach? No, but he’s not incompetent. That’s asinine. Doesn’t he own two of your three Big 10 titles over the past 30 years?

Not sure what we've gotten ourselves into but regardless......he's an upgrade over Mark Fox. Cream won't have to travel far for talent, he's surrounded by it. We'll soon see if he can coach.
Well, he coached at IU for 9 years with plenty of talent. You may have to see if he can coach...pretty sure most on this board already know he can’t. That’s why he’s always the 3rd choice.

A “proven incompetent” doesn’t win 27+ games, have single digit losses and get to the Sweet 16 three separate times even at a perceived basketball blue blood. Is he an elite coach? No, but he’s not incompetent. That’s asinine. Doesn’t he own two of your three Big 10 titles over the past 30 years?
The posters on this board, including myself, have watched Crean pretty closely for 9 years. You don't need to explain Tom Crean to us. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Georgia could have used IU as an example and avoided the pain we did. You guys want to learn the hard way, go for it: not our problem anymore.

I seriously wish him and Georgia luck. The big thing with Crean is he’s never going to win with less talent. At IU he could recruit some 5 star players to hide his deficiencies. I’m not sure he can do that at UGA but maybe I’m wrong. I guess it wouldn’t hurt if he hires Kenny Johnson and Chuck Martin back.

You'll learn soon why IU fans feel the way they do about the snake oil salesman. He will produce a team that chucks up threes and plays zero defense. You will love his hockey line substitutions and of course you will be embarrassed at times by his bizarre behavior. His fellow SEC coaches will love having him in the conference.
Good luck, enjoy the ride.

There was no perceived slight from my perspective. I simply have insight into something you don't, for obvious reasons, and you're throwing a tantrum because of it. If, however, you just have to keep this little charade up, I'll happily share with you everything you'd like to know. Simply email me your full name and telephone number and I'll email and call you with the details you'd like to know. If you really want to know this stuff, I'm sure I'll be hearing from you shortly.

Upset, pssh. I do not take this board as seriously as someone who has to change their name umpteen times to come back to a board they have been repeatedly banned from in order to argue how right they are.

Why not just share it with the entire board ? You seem to want us all to know so badly how "in the loop" and connected you are. It would be selfish of me to inquire only for myself. Just put it out there for us, including your real identity. Then those of us who dare doubt you will have to shut up for good.

I'm not throwing a tantrum. I never claimed to be connected to anyone on the BOT. Just an inquiring mind who wants to know. Post your name, email address and phone # here in reply and I'll happily contact you for your details. Pretty tough for me to email you with mine when I don't know yours, don't you think ?

I was the guy for 7 years telling people Crean was not the answer. And I was ridiculed.

I was the guy who said a year ago that Crean was in his final year. And I was ridiculed. “He just won the Big Ten!”

I heard from two separate members of the BOT who I’m personal friends with that he was on his final rope. No one wanted to hear it. Until the piper had to be paid.

I will vouch for this. You were probably two seasons ahead of me in this regard. I am a pretty positive/hopeful guy but he lost me five years ago. Too many off court issues by IU standards and the obvious roster management, XO and general weirdness conditions for me.

Some jumped on you for sure. Some jumped on me, but none with the personal attacks we see from the ubertroll. We may know a couple of the same BOT members. They protected him too long, and I told them so. One laughed at lunch and told me "we pay you for your consulting work...but not in that area". I dropped it.

if you're really a basketball fan i feel sorry for you. your AD blew it. he could have gotten a much better coach at the mid major level for less money.

Reactions: IUgradman
Why not just share it with the entire board ? You seem to want us all to know so badly how "in the loop" and connected you are. It would be selfish of me to inquire only for myself. Just put it out there for us, including your real identity. Then those of us who dare doubt you will have to shut up for good.

I'm not throwing a tantrum. I never claimed to be connected to anyone on the BOT. Just an inquiring mind who wants to know. Post your name, email address and phone # here in reply and I'll happily contact you for your details. Pretty tough for me to email you with mine when I don't know yours, don't you think ?
I already shared the details of what happened with the entire board. You wanted the specifics of names and other information that came to me privately, and I won't violate those confidences on a public message board.

I provided you a way to learn the information you claimed you wanted, however, and you've now shown you're not as sincere in your desire to learn about this as you indicated. In spite of your tantrum, I tried to comply with your request and, not surprisingly, you're making excuses rather than stepping up. The offer still stands, though I have little doubt that you'll continue to make the same weak excuses and choose to not be better informed. Oh, and the email address that I already posted is Blockchargelarge@gmail.com. You've already been provided with it, as you know.

I wonder if he’ll develop a similar cult following there that will follow him blindly regardless of results for nearly a decade? Maybe build a shrine to honor him as the greatest coach of all time like IU fans did. I’ll be interested to see if theirs tops ours.

:)
This is a really good question, Fred. You should share your takes and concerns more often with the board. Don't be shy.

N

Nope. Not new to the board. Ive been a member since before Knight was replaced by Davis. I just didn't post frequently and somehow my old login stopped working and I didn't have access to my original email anymore due to a change in internet carriers. Hence the "former" in my username.

I'll try to give this a more reasonable response than you'll get from most here. I posted earlier in this thread what I think is a fair analysis of Crean's positives and negatives. I agree with you that the expectations are different for Georgia and Indiana basketball fans. But the built-in advantages Crean had here are far different, too. He had the highest recruiting budget in the country here, despite the fact that there was enough talent within 3 hours of the campus to annually compete for national championships. Yes, you have Atlanta where he can draw players from. But he had a whole state here, and after a promising start, he pissed those relationships away and got 1 out of the 23 best players here his last four years. Offensively, yes, his teams are good and entertaining to watch with the right players in his system. But if you ever raise expectations enough to want a defense sufficient to be a consistently good program, he has never accomplished that in 18 years of coaching at higher level programs. As I said in my earlier post, if he has learned from the mistakes that hindered his success here, he could be a terrific coach for you. If not, you probably haven't made much of an upgrade, if any at all.

I think when it's all said and done you're going to realize that Fox wasn't that bad.

Crean is a recruiting and fake rah rah coach. The only chance you have of improving is if he can recruit better talent than what you have had. He doesn't give you any advantage tactically which means when he recruits well you'll have success...when he recruits like your norm you will be worse than what you're used to but he'll sell you one of his million of excuses (again my favorite is if anyone is hurt he'll prop them up as the missing piece in his classic...'this isn't an excuse but this isn't the same team without Johnny bench warmer'.

Anyway, the dude has no feel for the game. He's socially awkward and has a grating personality. He was exposed as a fraud here. He's a talker.

Good news is the south might not be as aware so might be able to recruit in the early going plus he's pretty good at developing a jump shot so he is pretty good with a raw but athletic wing player that he can add a jump shot to their game (which is what he targets).

I would have still gone after an up and comer like Kermit Davis.

I'd then go after Musselman but understand that him being at Nevada probably isn't cool, but Eric Musselman has been impressive and has a massive NBA background which would play for your elite recruits down there.

Personally if I was hiring retread coaches from Indiana I'd go after Mike Davis before Crean.

Actually I'd go after Kelvin Sampson, he's by far the best actual ex Indiana coach and since I'm in the SEC, competing against Pearl and Calipari, I can get a proven cheater. He'd have you winning at a level you've never seen until he was busted.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT