ADVERTISEMENT

Obama inspired the Class of 2020. And the rest of us as well...

His own 10 yard line? I’m leaving this site you guys are the stupidest group of sons of bitches I’ve ever encountered. I didn’t know there was people this thick but I’m done. Enjoy your circle jerk. Rockfish loves eating the cookie

This is a true loss. What shall we do without your brief period of intellectual firepower?

Reactions: cosmickid
This is a true loss. What shall we do without your brief period of intellectual firepower?

giphy.gif

Article 1 - Clinton/Dems had overwhelmingly more celebrity endorsements than trump.

Article 2 - 24% are less likely to vote for a candidate with celebrity endorsements.

My hypothesis - celebrity endorsements are not good for the Dems.

Could other factors have been in play to cause clinton’s demise? Absolutely. For sure. All I’m saying is that there is some evidence that celeb endorsements are not good for Dems. I trust the same holds true for republicans, absent an outlier like nugent. But bc the Dems have relied on them in greater numbers more recently and given the left leaning nature of celebs it stands to reason the Dems will be more adversely impacted.
You have literally no idea what you're talking about. You have no idea what effect celebrity endorsements have, and neither do I, but I know that I don't know, and my point is that you don't either.

Yes there is evidence that they turn some people off, but stop cherry-picking evidence and think about what you're saying. Your best evidence (such as it is) is that some people self-report that celebrity endorsements turn them off. Okay, imagine the sort of person who liked Hillary and liked her policies, but then discovered she'd been endorsed by Oprah and decided to vote for Trump because they hated celebrity endorsements. In a country of 330 million people it's conceivable that there actually are voters this irrational. But do they outnumber Oprah fans who'd be activated to vote for Hillary? Who knows? Your polls don't tell us that.

Or more likely, consider the sort of people who honestly report that a celebrity endorsement turns them off. Who are these people likely to be? In my very unexpert opinion, they're likely to be people who equate "celebrity" with "liberal" and are therefore saying they're unlikely to vote for liberals. Am I right about this? Beats me, but it's a question your polls can't resolve.

You should also look into the idea of revealed preference. I don't know what its validity may be as an economic predictor, but it's based on the insight that there's a big difference between what people say they want and what their actual purchases say they really want. What people do is generally a much better explainer of what they think than what they say. This is generally consistent with my observation that people are unreliable narrators, even of their own stories. (The unreliable narrator is a common device in good fiction.)

This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't like it when people express baseless opinions on subjects where they have no expertise. It's important to know what you don't know.

Reactions: Circlejoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT