ADVERTISEMENT

Nuclear Power Plants or Windmills, for commercial transportation power

Details on how Musk describes actually implementing his blue square program, which would really be a combo of multiple dispersed solar farms and rooftop solar. His vision includes a nuclear component, since (in his words) "we cannot instantaneously change to a sustainable situation".

total-solar-panels-to-fulfill-electricity-demands-of-united-statesjpg.jpeg

European gas prices went up by almost 25% just today.
I have to believe this is Putin flexing his muscles by withholding the gas flow, while he consolidates troops along the Ukrainian border. It probably explains Biden’s diplomatic concession to Putin in your post in the other thread. Europe’s dependence on energy from Russia is a problem considering Putin’s goal of disrupting NATO.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I have to believe this is Putin flexing his muscles by withholding the gas flow, while he consolidates troops along the Ukrainian border. It probably explains Biden’s diplomatic concession to Putin in your post in the other thread. Europe’s dependence on energy from Russia is a problem considering Putin’s goal of disrupting NATO.
You’re probably right…I’m trying to figure out how I can make a buck on this info

Reactions: Morrison
Details on how Musk describes actually implementing his blue square program, which would really be a combo of multiple dispersed solar farms and rooftop solar. His vision includes a nuclear component, since (in his words) "we cannot instantaneously change to a sustainable situation".

Here's an interesting first step (in line with Musk's opinion above, he's involved on the battery/storage side as well).

Reactions: outside shooter
Yes as Clinton pivoted. I believe that too re Biden. He could easily salvage his presidency, but I believe he's been hijacked and is too old to fight. Biden ten years ago yes. Biden today no.

My guess is the pubs will take over the house next year and we will be mired in stupid retaliatory investigations over the next three years and not much will get done until the next election, which is fine. Infrastructure passed. That's enough
Don’t forget Clinton was somewhat forced to pivot.

Reactions: DANC
I've never seen that. Do you have a link. I'd be surprised if this were true.
Oliver dedicated one of his shows on the topic of our failing power grids, mainly because they are being serviced as they fail, particularly the clamps, and are now what ~70/80 years old?

I've seen it discussed other places (before people roll their eyes at Oliver's investigation) so I'll try to find more links.

Again the problem is not generating energy, it's transporting energy.

Reactions: TomEric4756
This checks Elon Musk's claim that a 100 mile by 100 mile solar farm grid in a deserted corner of Arizona, Texas or Utah (or anywhere else for that matter) using exisiting technology would be capable (even in THEORY) of powering the entire USA's electrical grid. It checks out. How to distribute that energy would indeed still be a problem.

10 000 sq. miles. That’s 6 400 000 acres x 20 000 $ / acre = 128 000 000 000 or 128T dollars just for the land.

I think Solar will be distributed to minimize the real estate investment.

Last edited:
10 000 sq. miles. That’s 6 400 000 acres x 20 000 $ / acre = 128 000 000 000 or 128T dollars just for the land.

I think Solar will be distributed to minimize the real estate investment.
Or a fraction of federal land out west that we, the taxpayers, already own. Area 51 alone is 23 by 25 miles, and it is dwarfed by many much bigger Federal tracts.

But yes, the rooftop option would minimize distribution loss and land use costs

Reactions: larsIU

Oliver dedicated one of his shows on the topic of our failing power grids, mainly because they are being serviced as they fail, particularly the clamps, and are now what ~70/80 years old?

I've seen it discussed other places (before people roll their eyes at Oliver's investigation) so I'll try to find more links.

There is a link above for transmission line / power distribution losses … the farther away you are … the more the power gets lost. I modeled 7%. Iowa to NYC would be more

http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/...sappears-between-a-power-plant-and-your-plug/
I’m well aware of the losses in electrical transmission and distribution systems. The issue I asked about is how renewables can fulfill baseload demands. That is well beyond anything I have seen.

The energy density of uranium is the best thing going now. It produces heat without fire. Imagine that! That’s a perfect solution given our present demands and capabilities. There are no super batteries in the reasonably foreseeable future. The capital investment and consumption of raw materials to build renewables is much greater than nukes per unit of energy produced. The world‘s navies have been running subs and big ships on nukes for decades. It isn’t a big deal providing we can stop all the scare tactics special interests and their captive politicians foist on all of us.

The beauty of mini nukes is that we can put them where needed. And we can use them to run energy hungry desalination plants which we also need now.

The issue I asked about is how renewables can fulfill baseload demands. That is well beyond anything I have seen.
That's exactly the thing, and the only thing, that the science blog post that I linked discussed.

Q: It it possible that a single 100 mile x 100 mile solar farm could produce all of the energy demand of the electrical grid in the USA, with tech that we have now.

The answer was yes.

Left unanalyzed were the practical (and, yes, important) issues of costs, distribution, storage, and accounting for peaks and troughs in demand.

But the total energy capacity question of the proposed solar farm was asked and answered.

In my opinion, could nuclear do it more cheaply and simply? Yes.

That's exactly the thing, and the only thing, that the science blog post that I linked discussed.

Q: It it possible that a single 100 mile x 100 mile solar farm could produce all of the energy demand of the electrical grid in the USA, with tech that we have now.

The answer was yes.

Left unanalyzed were the practical (and, yes, important) issues of costs, distribution, storage, and accounting for peaks and troughs in demand.

But the total energy capacity question of the proposed solar farm was asked and answered.

Sure it’s possible. But lack of feasibility is the issue. .lots of shit is possible. Nukes are feasible today. If we start now, we might have enough juice available to fulfill all the demand federal, state, and local government + business has planned at the end of the decade.

10 000 sq. Mi = 2.7878e+11 sq. ft
2.7878e+11 / 10 sq ft panel = 27 878 000 000 or 28 Trillion Solar panels
at 7,000,000 panels a year it will take 4 centuries to build at say 7T per year (1000$ / Panel installed cost)
God damn! No wonder you have such a high Reaction Score

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It’s said industrial ag is the process of turning petroleum into food. It’s an energy dependent enterprise— everything from the obvious need for fuel for tractors & transportation, but also for fertilizer & chemical production.

In 1980, world petroleum reserves were estimated to be only adequate for 50-100 yrs of demand…But then about 20 y/a, Fracking was developed to save the day. Reserves should now last a couple centuries….How far into the future are we obligated to worry? Our great grand childrens’ great grandchildren will have to figure out what to do then.

Industrial Solar is sweeping the midwest right now at a faster pace than the oil and gas boom in Colorado I was a part of around 2010. The amount of money being invested into large scale renewable projects across the US is astronomical. Every county in Indiana has multiple sites being prospected for thousands of acre projects.

Industrial Solar is sweeping the midwest right now at a faster pace than the oil and gas boom in Colorado I was a part of around 2010. The amount of money being invested into large scale renewable projects across the US is astronomical. Every county in Indiana has multiple sites being prospected for thousands of acre projects.
Dumb.

More and more places are banning NG and heating oil while demanding electric heat. In the northern latitudes where temps are the coldest and hours of sunlight are the lowest, no sane person should think solar is worth even a casual look. In frigid weather the heavy mechanisms of windmills will require electricity to heat them so they can even operate. This is nuts. We need nukes.

Dumb.

More and more places are banning NG heating oil and demanding electric heat. In the northern latitudes where temps are the coldest and hours of sunlight are the lowest, no sane person should think solar is worth even a casual look. In frigid weather the heavy mechanisms of windmills will require electricity to heat them so they can even operate. This is nuts. We need nukes.
This conversation is above your pay grade, it's not like I do this for a living or anything, I'll see myself out.

I've never seen that. Do you have a link. I'd be surprised if this were true.
Could be it is surpassing the usage of electricity but the conversation is about replacing the internal combustion engines. Not likely existing renewables are even close to that possibility.

Think smaller, localized solutions rather than larger…a battery or super capacitor combination charged by renewables at the
point of use…at the end of the grid. You will not have near the transmission losses.

The answer was yes.

I think the answer is a theoretical “yes” to the 100 x 100 sq miles of solar panels supplying the energy needs of the country….but where do we acquire the capability to manufacture these very many solar panels and if we had that capacity…then where do we get the rare earths, molybdenum and so forth to make that scale of manufacturing happen? We happily gave away our possibilities in Afghanistan of using their deposits.

Optimal angles of incidence are +/- 60 degrees to the perpendicular of the face (z-axis) of the solar panel, assuming a high efficiency reflector on the back of panel. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6611928/

Lower efficiencies from say 6-8:30am and 4:30-6pm (local solar time during an equinox) will require a supplemental power supply. https://energyfollower.com/solar-panel-angle/

Tuning panel placement (especially in Northern latitudes) to optimize winter (solstice) performance this time of year will compromise summer (solstice) performance… http://article.sapub.org/10.5923.j.ep.20160602.01.html#Sec1

which brings in the question of panel followers.
https://news.energysage.com/solar-trackers-everything-need-know/

How much personal investment do you wish to expose on your roof to an Indiana thunderstorm.

In the meantime, new environmental standards will kick some existing power plants to the curb before they wear out. (likely before you get your panels installed). https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-wastewater-rule-coal-fired-power-plants-shut-down

Rate payers will get to pay for impairment expenses in these plant closures, as utilities are permitted to recoup all generation and distribution expenses in rates.

Last edited:
I think the US being as large as it is there will be different solutions for different areas. The Southwest and it's 7-8 hours of continuous sun and warmer temps is an excellent area for solar power creation. MIchigan in the winter? Maybe not so much.

Even as a supplement, renewables will allow us to lessen our dependence on fossil fuels and extend the life/supply of those as well. I don't think it needs to be binary choice.

Nuclear is probably the #1 overall option but it's SCARY!!!! to so many and requires a heavy capital expenditure. To be fair, most of these options would require a massive capital expenditure including hydro (obviously) and solar.
Nuclear is the clear best option for a bridge technology. We already know how to do it, and there's a crap ton of fuel available in the earth's crust. With the proper effort, we could power the world with nothing but nukes.

But, even that will eventually fail. It may take many thousands of years, but fuel will run out. We should use nuclear power to keep society up and running while we move to solar-powered microwave transmission - solar collectors orbiting the sun at the Earth's Lagrangian points which beam the energy back to the surface in the form of microwaves. The technology is almost there; we just have to iron out a few details. And once we do that, it's basically free energy for a couple billion years.

I bought a pizza last night. The webpage where I placed my pick-up order said that the place was “Proud to be Denver’s first 100% Wind-Powered Pizza Company”. Let that sink in for a minute.

Why would the company think wind power is so important to pizza consumers? Can you imagine a similar reference to nuclear power? Neither can I.

This in a nutshell is why the energy supply in the US is so screwed up. Our energy decisions are powered by feelings. They are not powered by science and engineering. Wind and other renewable power simply makes some people feel good. But it makes no sense. For them, (mostly liberals ) feelings are important. Feelings power most all their policy choices.

In the U S, permitting a new nuke plant takes five years. This is for previously approved reactor designs. New designs and litigation will probably at least double the time. Add in construction time and we are likely looking at a 10-15 year time line to get a new nuke to operating level.

We have very few nukes under construction and one in the pipeline. With decommissioning nukes underway, projections are that we will have less nuclear power in 2050 than we do now. Meanwhile, increased demand is legislatively required.

What is Asia doing? China has 46 new ones being planned or building, and plans for a total of 150 more in 15 years. India will have 15 more online by the end of 2024. Japan has shaken-off its Fukushima hangover and is planning new ones.

These countries will all have more and cheaper power than the United Sates. The trainwreck will only get worse.

I bought a pizza last night. The webpage where I placed my pick-up order said that the place was “Proud to be Denver’s first 100% Wind-Powered Pizza Company”. Let that sink in for a minute.

Why would the company think wind power is so important to pizza consumers? Can you imagine a similar reference to nuclear power? Neither can I.

This in a nutshell is why the energy supply in the US is so screwed up. Our energy decisions are powered by feelings. They are not powered by science and engineering. Wind and other renewable power simply makes some people feel good. But it makes no sense. For them, (mostly liberals ) feelings are important. Feelings power most all their policy choices.

In the U S, permitting a new nuke plant takes five years. This is for previously approved reactor designs. New designs and litigation will probably at least double the time. Add in construction time and we are likely looking at a 10-15 year time line to get a new nuke to operating level.

We have very few nukes under construction and one in the pipeline. With decommissioning nukes underway, projections are that we will have less nuclear power in 2050 than we do now. Meanwhile, increased demand is legislatively required.

What is Asia doing? China has 46 new ones being planned or building, and plans for a total of 150 more in 15 years. India will have 15 more online by the end of 2024. Japan has shaken-off its Fukushima hangover and is planning new ones.

These countries will all have more and cheaper power than the United Sates. The trainwreck will only get worse.
I was hoping for some GOOG news!!!! LOL

I read that the sixe of the solar farm that would be needed to replace one nuclear plant would be huge. Has anyone else read this?
It is:

(18) 1000 MW, Generating capacity of a nuclear reactor (from above)
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=104&t=3

1000 MW * 24 Hours = 24,000 MWh per day

1,295 watt-hours /1,000 = 1.3 kWh per day per 370 watt solar panel (for New York)
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-much-electricity-does-a-solar-panel-produce

24,000 MWh * 1000 kWh / MWh = 24,000,000 kWh per day

24,000,000 kWhr / 1.3 kWh per panel = 18,461,539 panels

at about 6 200 000 panels a year… it would take about 3 years to replace one nuclear power plant.

70“ x 40” = 2800 sq. in., Size of 370 watt solar panel. https://sunwatts.com/370-watt-lg-mono-solar-panel/

18,461,539 panels * 2800 sq. in. per panel / 144 sq. in per sq. ft. = 358 974 370 sq. ft.

358 974 370 sq. ft. / 2.788e+7 sq. ft. per sq. mi. = 12.876 sq. mi. (In New York)

It is:

(18) 1000 MW, Generating capacity of a nuclear reactor (from above)
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=104&t=3

1000 MW * 24 Hours = 24,000 MWh per day

1,295 watt-hours /1,000 = 1.3 kWh per day per 370 watt solar panel (for New York)
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-much-electricity-does-a-solar-panel-produce

24,000 MWh * 1000 kWh / MWh = 24,000,000 kWh per day

24,000,000 kWhr / 1.3 kWh per panel = 18,461,539 panels

at about 6 200 000 panels a year… it would take about 3 years to replace one nuclear power plant.

70“ x 40” = 2800 sq. in., Size of 370 watt solar panel. https://sunwatts.com/370-watt-lg-mono-solar-panel/

18,461,539 panels * 2800 sq. in. per panel / 144 sq. in per sq. ft. = 358 974 370 sq. ft.

358 974 370 sq. ft. / 2.788e+7 sq. ft. per sq. mi. = 12.876 sq. mi. (In New York)
I have not tried the math but solar and wind power do offer proximity to the customers so it will probably be harder to take down the power grid at least locally to where they exist. I believe there may be no one right answer.

If society can’t use Diesel Fuel, what do want to use?

Pick your poison, Nuclear Power Plants or Windmills to Provide an All-electric Commercial Transportation System.

15 nuclear power plants rated at 1 GW each, or 5653 windmills. (Assuming the wind blows strong enough to produce rated power).

Not sure we can really afford either.

(1)
44610000000​
Gallons Diesel Sold Annually https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/diesel-fuel/use-of-diesel.php
(2)
137,381​
BTUs per gallon https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/units-and-calculators/british-thermal-units.php
(3) = (1) * (2)
6.12857E+15​
BTUs annually consumed as diesel fuel
(4)
40%​
Thermal Efficiency of Diesel Engines
(5) = (3) * (4)
2.45143E+15​
BTUs needed as Electricity for Transportation (net)
(6)
15%​
Charging Efficiency (loss) 1-85% https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36062942/evs-explained-charging-losses/
(7) = (5) * (6)
3.67714E+14​
BTUs needed to offset charging efficiency loss
(8) = (5) + (7)
2.81914E+15​
BTUs needed to Charge vehicles (gross)
(9)
7%​
Electrical Transmission Line Loss http://insideenergy.org/2015/11/06/...sappears-between-a-power-plant-and-your-plug/
(10) = (8) * (9)
1.9734E+14​
BTUs lost getting power to the charging station
(11) = (7) + (10)
3.01648E+15​
Net BTUs delivered as electrical power to charge vehicles
(12)
0.000293​
kWh per BTU https://www.inchcalculator.com/convert/british-thermal-unit-to-kilowatt-hour/
(13) = (11) * (12)
8.83829E+11​
Net kWh needed from Power Generation Sources
(14)
61320​
Hours per year
(15) = (13) / (14)
14413384.76​
Net Average Power per HR, kW
(16)
1000​
1000 kW per MW
(17) = (15) / (16)
14413.38476​
Net Average Power per HR, MW
(18)
1000​
Generating capacity of a nuclear reactor, MW https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=104&t=3
(19) = (17) / (18)
14.41338476​
Number of Nuclear Reactors needed to provide average hourly demand
(20)
2.55​
Generating Capacity of 1 wind farm windmill, MW https://windexchange.energy.gov/markets/utility-scale
(21) = (17) / (20)
5652.307748​
Number of windmills
(22)
$3,000,000​
Cost per Windmill, USD https://www.windustry.org/how_much_do_wind_turbines_cost https://www.windustry.org/community_wind_toolbox_8_costs
(23) = (17) * (22)
$16,959,000,000​
Installation investment USD, rounded up

nuke is long term insanity, and pushed by those who care only about short time frames. (such as any business interest).

strange how hydro is totally ignored from the conversation, despite us having more than enough rivers and streams, each likely capable of supporting multiple damns, and hydro already being proven and controllable, and not having the same storage snafu that wind and solar have..

sometimes hybrid is best.

solar on/at every home and commercial bldg, with hydro backup for when the home/business solar is insufficient, and to feed vehicle charging stations.

save oil/gas for aviation, and the other few uses electric can't handle.

problem solved.

that wasn't so hard, was it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT