ADVERTISEMENT

northwestern is actually pretty damn good.

FT differential of 46-8. Courtney Green is the WORST official in the NCAA. The B1G officials love him and he obviously is in love with Edey. Maybe he has a crush on Edey's mom? Be assured he will ref our game at pee ewe!
NW used the same strategy that many of Purdue opponents use - foul and hack Edey cause they cant defend him. Not surprising to have big foul differential. It’s silly to cite big differential as poor officiating, it was NW defensive strategy. That combined with NW offense that was predominantly long distance shooting with very little inside game. Refs called what occurred. I understand it’s hard to watch Purdue win but it was hard for Purdue fans back in the days of RMK and I know Purdue fans were complaining and looking to minimize the IU successes. Can’t we all just get along and appreciate winning basketball? Nah!

Kurt has abandoned this thread., he doesn't partake in this IU v Purdue back and forth with their fans. he went there once and tried to talk sense to them and they banned him, so he has no interest in reading their shit..
smith looks like he only a couple of generations removed from the knuckle draggers they used to show in our science books.
Aww come on man - you did lead with this - among some other cool quips that really improved my sensibility!! Those were clever. Also, I thought it was neat you snuck by Iowa at home - not only covered, but won!! $$$$. Possibly a program turning moment.

Are we not allowed to have fun anymore???

They set a lot of illegal screens. They play very physical on the ball defense. Those things alone, when/if they have to adjust will cause them problems. If/when Edey can’t do what Edey does, they have zero chance at beating good teams.
I...just...can't..help...myself. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. You do realize Purdue has the #1 SOS in the nation, right? And have won what? 7 top ten matchups?

I...just...can't..help...myself. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. You do realize Purdue has the #1 SOS in the nation, right? And have won what? 7 top ten matchups?
So? They’ve done that for a few years now through about now in the season. When the calendar shifts to March, and they leave the PU friendly confines that is B10 officiating…it doesn’t go so well.

Yea, everyone knows that. Easily one of the best teams in the nation.. but .. what you don't get, you're still Purdue and we've all seen this show before, It's the only team in sports that can get upset by a rinky-dink team and no one is surprised. It's not an even an upset, it's just... typical .....

Edey's a force, enjoy it while you can. His run is almost over.

Yea, everyone knows that. Easily one of the best teams in the nation.. but .. what you don't get, you're still Purdue and we've all seen this show before, It's the only team in sports that can get upset by a rinky-dink team and no one is surprised. It's not an even an upset, it's just... typical .....

Edey's a force, enjoy it while you can. His run is almost over.
Sadly - you're right!

NW used the same strategy that many of Purdue opponents use - foul and hack Edey cause they cant defend him. Not surprising to have big foul differential. It’s silly to cite big differential as poor officiating, it was NW defensive strategy. That combined with NW offense that was predominantly long distance shooting with very little inside game. Refs called what occurred. I understand it’s hard to watch Purdue win but it was hard for Purdue fans back in the days of RMK and I know Purdue fans were complaining and looking to minimize the IU successes. Can’t we all just get along and appreciate winning basketball? Nah!
Painter admitted to Don Fischer that refs are unsure of how to officiate a freak like Edey and that he gets away with "stuff". Fouling Edey is often a defense against his hip checks and the way he gets into the defensive player. An example, watch Edey throw a hip check to dislodge the defender. As the defender tries to recover his position, Edey swings around and makes contact and another foul is called. Refs miss the push. It is very common on his hook, but he will use it other times to create space. If it isn't called he creates open 4 foot shots.

I'm sure Painter is scouting the next circus attraction as Edey's replacement.

Well there is a difference, you know. Get back to us when you make it to a Final Four, or two or three.

Yes but you haven’t played Farleigh Davidson yet so…..in case you haven’t noticed, it’s not the good teams you have to worry about.

Reactions: Tammany Hall

This is a good one…probably the first time it’s happened though. 🙄
It's funny looking at the still: where is Edey's elbow? Right under the guys chin. We got tagged with a flagrant 2 for an elbow to the head, and Edey gets to go to the FT line! And Buie, who in addition to shooting 3s is a good, physical driver, doesn't take a single FT on 19 shots. Pathetic.

It's ridiculous. And, I give Painter a ton of credit. I think he's studied (and lobbied, boy has he lobbied!) how fouls are called in this league and coaches his guys to be aware of it and stay just under that line. But, he loses that advantage in the tournament, and remind me again, how have they done there? Another physical game, including extra OT minutes and Edey gets called for TWO fouls, and they shoot what, 38 more FTs? It's a joke with a team that plays as physically as Purdue does.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
It's funny looking at the still: where is Edey's elbow? Right under the guys chin. We got tagged with a flagrant 2 for an elbow to the head, and Edey gets to go to the FT line! And Buie, who in addition to shooting 3s is a good, physical driver, doesn't take a single FT on 19 shots. Pathetic.

It's ridiculous. And, I give Painter a ton of credit. I think he's studied (and lobbied, boy has he lobbied!) how fouls are called in this league and coaches his guys to be aware of it and stay just under that line. But, he loses that advantage in the tournament, and remind me again, how have they done there? Another physical game, including extra OT minutes and Edey gets called for TWO fouls, and they shoot what, 38 more FTs? It's a joke with a team that plays as physically as Purdue does.
Conspiracy theories are entertaining but the desperation is becoming more apparent. Why can’t we admit Purdue is really good?

Conspiracy theories are entertaining but the desperation is becoming more apparent. Why can’t we admit Purdue is really good?
Who said they weren't? Great team, well rounded with the best player in the country, and a really good coach. And yet the biggest, most physical guy on the court gets called for 2 fouls in a physical game, including OT. I know you know. I never denied that IU got calls in AH and because of RMK, and you guys complained about it vociferously for 30 years. You can't admit that Painter and Mackey are in that position now?

Last edited:
Neutral court, normal refs, NW wins by 20 in this game. Heck, normal refs and they win by 10 in Mackey.

Good luck again this year in the tourney Purdouche bags.
Purdue was supposed to mop the floor with the B10 this year. If I was a Purdue fan watching this game against a solid (but not great) NW team in my own barn, I woud be very concerned for the next 2 months bring.

Who said they weren't? Great team, well rounded with the best player in the country, and a really good coach. And yet the biggest, most physical guy on the court gets called for 2 fouls in a physical game, including OT. I know you know. I never denied that IU got calls in AH and because of RMK. You can't admit that Painter and Mackey are in that position now?
Yes, Painter has the refs not calling fouls on Edey in Mackey... and every other arena in the country. That's a neat trick.

Reactions: salient43
Purdue was supposed to mop the floor with the B10 this year. If I was a Purdue fan watching this game against a solid (but not great) NW team in my own barn, I woud be very concerned for the next 2 months bring.
my guess is that PU players got together over the summer and decided their goal was NCAA tourney success, so I think they've taken their eyes off the B10 regular season just a bit. They've got the squad to make a F4, but I still think they'll get beat. Their guards, even with Jones are still susceptible and when they get away from B10 refs, Edey's going to get more than 2 fouls called on him and will have to change how he plays a bit.

If you watch closely Edey HOOKS the defenders arm all the way until he shoots. Thought Hook and Hold was a foul..
The defender slid his arm up under Edey's. It was the defender that caused the action, thus the foul on the defender. Is it really that hard to be objective?

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yes, Painter has the refs not calling fouls on Edey in Mackey... and every other arena in the country. That's a neat trick.
You don't think RMK had B10 refs intimidated to a different level? Edey is smart and I'd imagine just plays a little less aggressively outside the conference. Heck, I never felt like I even played to my best if I only had 2 fouls because I would spend 1 or 2 trying to see how the refs were going to call it, so I'd generally want to end up with 4 because I was not going to give up a layup, and would burn a foul to send someone to the line if I could.

I mean, Purdue fans can't see the lunacy in that the biggest, strongest and most physical player on the floor more often has 2 or fewer fouls than 3 or more? I'd be willing to bet he has more games with 2 or fewer than 3 or more and I've not looked. Buie didn't shoot a single FT last night on 19 attempts and has the ball in his hands most of the time? It's OK to just admit, "yeah, they got homered!". Doesn't take anything away from how good your team is, although you'd have gotten beaten again last night without that ridiculous FT differential (and 1 less T).

The defender slid his arm up under Edey's. It was the defender that caused the action, thus the foul on the defender. Is it really that hard to be objective?
After Edey had his elbow up under his chin. Edey's huge and keeps his arms very high. So yeah, if he comes into the lane with his elbows at head height, he's going to get arms lock when a defender naturally and self-defensively raises his arms to counter an elbow in your grill. You want a defender to not raise his arms when Edey has his elbow at head height?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
After Edey had his elbow up under his chin. Edey's huge and keeps his arms very high. So yeah, if he comes into the lane with his elbows at head height, he's going to get arms lock when a defender naturally and self-defensively raises his arms to counter an elbow in your grill. You want a defender to not raise his arms when Edey has his elbow at head height?
I know you aren't going to want to acknowledge this, but Edey is really big right? If you watch the play again, he's in a legal stance with is arms out at shoulder height. Is it Edey's fault that he's really big and having his arms out (like any other player would) just happens to be at the chin of his defender? He didn't throw an elbow, which is what has to happen to be called a flagrant. I know you guys want something to complain about, but you're just wrong.

You don't think RMK had B10 refs intimidated to a different level? Edey is smart and I'd imagine just plays a little less aggressively outside the conference. Heck, I never felt like I even played to my best if I only had 2 fouls because I would spend 1 or 2 trying to see how the refs were going to call it, so I'd generally want to end up with 4 because I was not going to give up a layup, and would burn a foul to send someone to the line if I could.
I think RMK and Keady both had refs intimidated. I also know that Purdue under Keady and Painter early on played a very physical style of defense. However, Painter has made a concerted effort to teach his guys to NOT play physically on D ever since the NCAA started to make it a point of emphasis on the freedom of movement.

Back in the day, there was a reason IU and PU fans alike complained about home cooking from the refs and with good reason. I just don't see it anymore on either side. People from Purdue still call IU the hall of calls. I kinda just chuckle because it's been close to 10 years that I can remember there being any kind of biased officiating in either arena. In fact, I've seen both PU and IU get screwed at home in recent years.
I mean, Purdue fans can't see the lunacy in that the biggest, strongest and most physical player on the floor more often has 2 or fewer fouls than 3 or more? I'd be willing to bet he has more games with 2 or fewer than 3 or more and I've not looked. Buie didn't shoot a single FT last night on 19 attempts and has the ball in his hands most of the time? It's OK to just admit, "yeah, they got homered!". Doesn't take anything away from how good your team is, although you'd have gotten beaten again last night without that ridiculous FT differential (and 1 less T).
The lunacy is thinking that simply because he's the biggest strongest player, mean's you're fouling all the time. I highly suggest you watch more of our games, because it's a thing of beauty how much Edey DOESN'T foul.

As far as Buie and not shooting FT's. You have to drive to the basket to get fouls. He only had 8 shots that weren't 3 pointers and some of those were long jump shots. That's why he didn't shoot FT's.

Morton, Gillis, TKR and Jones arent physical defenders? Hmmm. And Smith and Loyer are often out of position, and have to make up for it by hanging on and reaching in. Many teams get penalized for that…for some reason they often don’t. Until they do early against teams like FDU…and their forced to back off…and well…
Here's the highlights replay. I want you guys to note just how little NW drove to the basket and when they did, how they weren't fouled because much of the time they were clearly around their defender.

NW took a TON of jump shots. As I said before, hard to draw fouls when that's what you do.

Last edited:
I know you aren't going to want to acknowledge this, but Edey is really big right? If you watch the play again, he's in a legal stance with is arms out at shoulder height. Is it Edey's fault that he's really big and having his arms out (like any other player would) just happens to be at the chin of his defender? He didn't throw an elbow, which is what has to happen to be called a flagrant. I know you guys want something to complain about, but you're just wrong.
No, being big doesn't get him a pass on head contact. He's the one who is in control of his elbows and he needs to avoid putting them in other players faces.

They set a lot of illegal screens. They play very physical on the ball defense. Those things alone, when/if they have to adjust will cause them problems. If/when Edey can’t do what Edey does, they have zero chance at beating good teams.
Ask Arizona, Marquette, Alabama, Tennessee, Illinois etc.

Sureeeeeeee sounds like Purdue has zero chance of beating "good teams" ***eye roll***

Reactions: TheCainer
This is so off base it's hilarious. The officiating in that Purdue/Northwestern game was beyond bad. Basketball refs absolutely suck at their jobs, so it's not surprising. But don't act like this game was called well. It was a fricking joke. Northwestern got homered bigtime.

Ask Arizona, Marquette, Alabama, Tennessee, Illinois etc.

Sureeeeeeee sounds like Purdue has zero chance of beating "good teams" ***eye roll***
You guys had a great pre-con schedule and results. But, of all of those teams, ask yourself who had the most consistent roster year to year and was integrating the fewest pieces. It's one of your biggest achilles heels: high floor, but lower ceiling. You'll probably be the same team come March... possibly a little tighter. As I said, I believe just from comments I heard from some of your guys over the summer and at B10 media day that they got together and decided this year wasn't about the B10 title, so I'm thinking you might kick it up a gear come tourney time. It's really the only question that's yet to be answered for PU and the entire season is just a prelude, imo.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
No, being big doesn't get him a pass on head contact. He's the one who is in control of his elbows and he needs to avoid putting them in other players faces.
check the rule and the point of emphasis, I believe it addresses not making contact with the head of opponent's and doesn't say anything about the size of the offender. Yes, he's got an obligation to not make contact with his opponents head.

They're so far gone from reality and so far down in the dumps. It is probably best to leave them be. They're not in their right state of mind to have an intelligent conversation at the moment. It's been 38 years since they've been as relevant in back to back years. Majority of these posters weren't alive and the others wish they had what Purdue has right now. It's time to leave them alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT