ADVERTISEMENT

northwestern is actually pretty damn good.

I highly suggest you watch more of our games, because it's a thing of beauty how much Edey DOESN'T foul.
watched quite a lot of your games. I like your team and how you play, with the exception of allowing Lurch to foul so often uncalled. He fouls on screens, over the backs and offensive positioning multiple times each game (i'm not good at math, how many fouls is that if it's at least 2+2+2?). I do give him credit as I do think he is cognizant and moves out of the lane well and also is good at blocking shots without fouling. And yes, I do think this has been discussed by league officials and they've decided how to call him, because otherwise he'd never have so many games with 2 or fewer fouls, as some officials would recognize fouls by the rules, not overlook them because he's "big".

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
They're so far gone from reality and so far down in the dumps. It is probably best to leave them be. They're not in their right state of mind to have an intelligent conversation at the moment. It's been 38 years since they've been as relevant in back to back years. Majority of these posters weren't alive and the others wish they had what Purdue has right now. It's time to leave them alone.
Yep, and yet here you are. Hehehehehehehehehehehehee!

Reactions: indiana ed
P
Conspiracy theories are entertaining but the desperation is becoming more apparent. Why can’t we admit Purdue is really good?
PU is good. They are also physical. Tge free throw discrepancy is ridiculous. All those things can be and are true. Edey shot 19 free throws. What about the other 29???

Ask Arizona, Marquette, Alabama, Tennessee, Illinois etc.

Sureeeeeeee sounds like Purdue has zero chance of beating "good teams" ***eye roll***
Again it’s not the good teams you have to worry about. Who are you getting beat by? Northwestern, Nebraska, Fairleigh Dickenson.

P

PU is good. They are also physical. Tge free throw discrepancy is ridiculous. All those things can be and are true. Edey shot 19 free throws. What about the other 29???
4 came from the technicals at the end of the game, and another 6 came from being behind and fouling. That leaves 19. We has 12 offensive rebounds to their 3. Several of those 19 came after an offensive rebound.

If a non biased person watched the game the analysis would be. The refs were bad. But it wasn't 100% in Purdue's favor. Collins said multiple times his game plan was to foul Edey 15 times.

I think RMK and Keady both had refs intimidated. I also know that Purdue under Keady and Painter early on played a very physical style of defense. However, Painter has made a concerted effort to teach his guys to NOT play physically on D ever since the NCAA started to make it a point of emphasis on the freedom of movement.

Back in the day, there was a reason IU and PU fans alike complained about home cooking from the refs and with good reason. I just don't see it anymore on either side. People from Purdue still call IU the hall of calls. I kinda just chuckle because it's been close to 10 years that I can remember there being any kind of biased officiating in either arena. In fact, I've seen both PU and IU get screwed at home in recent years.

The lunacy is thinking that simply because he's the biggest strongest player, mean's you're fouling all the time. I highly suggest you watch more of our games, because it's a thing of beauty how much Edey DOESN'T foul.

As far as Buie and not shooting FT's. You have to drive to the basket to get fouls. He only had 8 shots that weren't 3 pointers and some of those were long jump shots. That's why he didn't shoot FT's.
It isn’t as much about NW not getting fouled when shooting as it is the laughable number of calls on Edey defenders and lack of offensive fouls called on him.

It is simply laughable to anyone with any understanding of the game combined with a shred of objectivity.

You trolls that storm our boards have neither

• Haha
4 came from the technicals at the end of the game, and another 6 came from being behind and fouling. That leaves 19. We has 12 offensive rebounds to their 3. Several of those 19 came after an offensive rebound.

If a non biased person watched the game the analysis would be. The refs were bad. But it wasn't 100% in Purdue's favor. Collins said multiple times his game plan was to foul Edey 15 times.
You really should leave. You're not here to discuss, you're here to gloat. Is Seth Davis biased, because he tweeted the pic of Edey fouling a guy by hitting him under the chin and driving him down the lane and then the defender gets called for defending himself and trying to hold his position (you know it's bad when those guys do that, because they normally hold their tongues so as not to piss off a coach they might interview later). So that would reduce his FT count by 2 and give NW more... oh wait, I'm sure they weren't in the bonus. And, how many of your OR's were from Edey going over the back? I see it at least twice a game. Edey's smart, if they'd call fouls properly, he'd adjust and still wouldn't foul a ton. As I said, I almost think he should foul more, and he would if they were called.

Reactions: indiana ed
Called
watched quite a lot of your games. I like your team and how you play, with the exception of allowing Lurch to foul so often uncalled. He fouls on screens, over the backs and offensive positioning multiple times each game (i'm not good at math, how many fouls is that if it's at least 2+2+2?). I do give him credit as I do think he is cognizant and moves out of the lane well and also is good at blocking shots without fouling. And yes, I do think this has been discussed by league officials and they've decided how to call him, because otherwise he'd never have so many games with 2 or fewer fouls, as some officials would recognize fouls by the rules, not overlook them because he's "big".
Called fairly, Edey would rarely make it to halftime without sitting with two fouls.

Very rarely

• Haha
Here's the real deal: PU is pretty good. But after watching them completely homer a decent NW team at home, I watched about a quarter of the UConn game. The pure atheticism difference is astonishing. I sure haven't watched a lot of the better teams this year, but I'd guess UConn would beat PU by 20 - in Mackey or any other floor Painter wanted to choose. There are probably other top teams with as much aggression and athleticism (Houston and Tennessee come to mind) nevermind the Fairleigh Dickinsons, McNeese States, or St Marys type teams. This won't be their year. Again.

• Haha
You really should leave. You're not here to discuss, you're here to gloat. Is Seth Davis biased, because he tweeted the pic of Edey fouling a guy by hitting him under the chin and driving him down the lane and then the defender gets called for defending himself and trying to hold his position (you know it's bad when those guys do that, because they normally hold their tongues so as not to piss off a coach they might interview later). So that would reduce his FT count by 2 and give NW more... oh wait, I'm sure they weren't in the bonus. And, how many of your OR's were from Edey going over the back? I see it at least twice a game. Edey's smart, if they'd call fouls properly, he'd adjust and still wouldn't foul a ton. As I said, I almost think he should foul more, and he would if they were called.
Add Gotlieb to that list...and judging from X/Twitter, most of the rest of college basketball fans.

The only thing that bothers me about all this is its impacting the B10 overall. Purdue is one of the best teams in the conference playing straight up. Edey is still the best, and most dominant player in the conference straight up. I've fought, at length, with my own IU fan brethren about how good I think Braden Smith is. They could, and would, still compete for B10 titles with officials calling games how they'll be called in the NCAA tournament. Calling the games how B10 refs are right now though, and specifically how they call Edey is doing the entire conference...AND ultimately Purdue, a huge disservice.

Add Gotlieb to that list...and judging from X/Twitter, most of the rest of college basketball fans.

The only thing that bothers me about all this is its impacting the B10 overall. Purdue is one of the best teams in the conference playing straight up. Edey is still the best, and most dominant player in the conference straight up. I've fought, at length, with my own IU fan brethren about how good I think Braden Smith is. They could, and would, still compete for B10 titles with officials calling games how they'll be called in the NCAA tournament. Calling the games how B10 refs are right now though, and specifically how they call Edey is doing the entire conference...AND ultimately Purdue, a huge disservice.
The way the BIg is whistled hurts all of us in the post season and it is getting worse. Last night was beyond belief

The way the BIg is whistled hurts all of us in the post season and it is getting worse. Last night was beyond belief
Its so obvious nowadays, that more and more people outside the conference are noticing it...which isn't good. It won't take long before the growing number of tweets, becomes a widely spread narrative, which then becomes an accepted "fact". We're probably further along with that than we know. I know the B10, its style of play, and how its officiated was talked about fairly heavily by pundits like Bilas last tournament season...and then regularly discussed during the portal/late signee recruiting cycle last spring.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Yea, there is something about the B1G that has resulted in no titles as we know since 2000. I suspect a material factor is the style of play that has developed in the conference. Hardly a revelation. I don’t know on the chicken and the egg: did the prisonball style promoted by the conference create PU/Wisky/MSU or did those schools create the prisonball we have to deal with? A real mystery lol.

I’ll admit the marquee program in the conference stinking it up for 25 years is also a factor in the conference struggling.

Its so obvious nowadays, that more and more people outside the conference are noticing it...which isn't good. It won't take long before the growing number of tweets, becomes a widely spread narrative, which then becomes an accepted "fact". We're probably further along with that than we know. I know the B10, its style of play, and how its officiated was talked about fairly heavily by pundits like Bilas last tournament season...and then regularly discussed during the portal/late signee recruiting cycle last spring.
the B1G wrestle-ball style of play is used against us in the recruiting wars. You know guys like Knecht heard all about it last spring.

The conference should fix the style of play. A lot of lost revenue from being crap at bball — it’s tough enough the top programs are dinky little brands like Purdue and Wisconsin (cheap shot I know).

Yea, there is something about the B1G that has resulted in no titles as we know since 2000. I suspect a material factor is the style of play that has developed in the conference. Hardly a revelation. I don’t know on the chicken and the egg: did the prisonball style promoted by the conference create PU/Wisky/MSU or did those schools create the prisonball we have to deal with? A real mystery lol.

I’ll admit the marquee program in the conference stinking it up for 25 years is also a factor in the conference struggling.
I think Michigan State taking over the mantle as the "top program" 2000 ish through the 2000teens...probably played a big role. Purdue used to play glorified football with their "no ball reversal" defense. And obviously Bennett and Ryan created success with ugly, physical basketball.

One thing to note though...the teams on and around the 2010 seasons, that had the most NCAA success, played football basically. Butlers final four teams, MSU, Louisville, Villanova even... they all played incredibly physical styles. So its been a fairly recent shift away from that style.

And the Big 10 just hasn't made that shift yet.

They're so far gone from reality and so far down in the dumps. It is probably best to leave them be. They're not in their right state of mind to have an intelligent conversation at the moment. It's been 38 years since they've been as relevant in back to back years. Majority of these posters weren't alive and the others wish they had what Purdue has right now. It's time to leave them alone.
It has been pretty hard times these last years but there was a final four (8th) and championship game in 2002 plus sweet 16 in 2012, 2013, and 2016. The recognition of the name is still there nationally and will remain so. You have a fine team and coach so enjoy your run while you can.

Again it’s not the good teams you have to worry about. Who are you getting beat by? Northwestern, Nebraska, Fairleigh Dickenson.
Saw a stat a couple weeks ago that illustrates how NCAA basketball has changed. At that point (couple weeks ago), the overall record of teams ranked in top 10 vs unranked teams was barely over .500 at 23-19. As an example Tuesday, #3 North Carolina and #5 ranked Tennessee both lost to unranked teams. I think rankings/seedings are (and have always been) a pretty good indicator of relative strength of teams. I think what has changed is that the 3 point shot along with 25 year old 5th and 6th year transfer players are now a great equalizer on any specific night. If a lesser team gets hot from 3, they can upset the better team. Any single game including any game in the NCAA tourney is literally a "crapshoot". Glad I don't bet 😊

That Northwestern game is the reason I don't watch Purdue unless it's against IU. They tease me into thinking they might lose then they never do, hardly. I don't need that kind of angst at this stage in my life when the only commitment I make is the one I create.

No, being big doesn't get him a pass on head contact. He's the one who is in control of his elbows and he needs to avoid putting them in other players faces.
What if the other person put their face in his elbow? Is that still a foul on Edey?

Saw a stat a couple weeks ago that illustrates how NCAA basketball has changed. At that point (couple weeks ago), the overall record of teams ranked in top 10 vs unranked teams was barely over .500 at 23-19. As an example Tuesday, #3 North Carolina and #5 ranked Tennessee both lost to unranked teams. I think rankings/seedings are (and have always been) a pretty good indicator of relative strength of teams. I think what has changed is that the 3 point shot along with 25 year old 5th and 6th year transfer players are now a great equalizer on any specific night. If a lesser team gets hot from 3, they can upset the better team. Any single game including any game in the NCAA tourney is literally a "crapshoot". Glad I don't bet 😊
THIS I agree with. The 3 point shot is a big reason for a lot of upsets and why we will probably never see another undefeated team again in CBB so you guys should enjoy having that glory forever I would think.

The really old players in the game is also another reason for major upsets and low seeds going deep in the tournament. Once the Covid holdover players are gone, that trend will diminish.

Doesn't IU lead the nation in flagrant fouls? Does XJ still check opponents for contraband in their???? Is MM still visiting your local Taco bell?

P

Purdue shot 41 free throws in the first game in Evanston.
Called

Called fairly, Edey would rarely make it to halftime without sitting with two fouls.

Very rarely

The conspiracy is widespread. Purdue is 36-0 in non conference regular season games the last three years.
Called

Very rarely
Edey has played 129 games and never fouled out. He averages less than 2 fouls a game for his career, which includes 36 consecutive non conference road or neutral site games without a loss. Sure must be a vast conspiracy that exists as you seem to suggest.

Purdue shot 41 free throws in the first game in Evanston.

The conspiracy is widespread. Purdue is 36-0 in non conference regular season games the last three years.

Edey has played 129 games and never fouled out. He averages less than 2 fouls a game for his career, which includes 36 consecutive non conference road or neutral site games without a loss. Sure must be a vast conspiracy that exists as you seem to suggest.
Conspiracy?? Not a conspiracy kind of guy but suit yourself

They set a lot of illegal screens. They play very physical on the ball defense. Those things alone, when/if they have to adjust will cause them problems. If/when Edey can’t do what Edey does, they have zero chance at beating good teams.
LOL, look at their won loss record against top teams from other conferences on neutral courts. Doesn't bolster your narrative at all.

Back to the OP;

Pretty tough to be a hater of NU. Seems they have built a much better program there, and they appear to be doing it the right way. They aren’t throwing brinks trucks full of $$ to recruits, aren’t poaching from other teams, seem to have a team culture. This despite having a negligible home court advantage that sees opposing B10 fans pour into WRA to watch their team.

I’m guessing they have one of the lowest NIL spends in the league. In this day and age, it’s pretty hard to root against them, IMO.

my guess is that PU players got together over the summer and decided their goal was NCAA tourney success, so I think they've taken their eyes off the B10 regular season just a bit. They've got the squad to make a F4, but I still think they'll get beat. Their guards, even with Jones are still susceptible and when they get away from B10 refs, Edey's going to get more than 2 fouls called on him and will have to change how he plays a bit.
I don't understand how a team implements "taking their eyes off the B10 regular season" to focus on the NCAA tourney.

They are just a fatally flawed team made up of guards that remind Painter of himself, that has been exposed twice already in B10 play, that almost got beat again if the refs didn't hand it to them in their Barn of Calls, and that will get exposed in the tourney.

This is not accurate. If you are going to argue, at least get your facts right.

Some of those 36 games were home games.

You left out how often Edey is fouled...defenders climbing all over him...like they are climbing a tree without getting a call. Its a wash overall.

You left out how often Edey is fouled...defenders climbing all over him...like they are climbing a tree without getting a call. Its a wash overall.
Actually I didn't. Somewhere in here I said he fouls every possession and gets fouled every possession. It's not a wash because he doesn't get called for his fouls, while opponents do. Bad enough that 2 media folks felt strongly enough about it to call it out and post videos about it (Seth Davis and Mark Titus). Look at his #s, it's unbelievable how few fouls get called on him: the biggest and most physical player on the court and he probably averages around 2 fouls per game. The first game vs NW fouls were 27 (PU) to 29 (NW). Second game was 31 to 15, which yielded that ridiculous FT differential. You really think Collins veered away from a playing style that was successful first game? "I know we upset them last game, but let's not do that and play way more aggressively this game?"

LOL, look at their won loss record against top teams from other conferences on neutral courts. Doesn't bolster your narrative at all.
Look at their record against mid majors in the real tournament. That does.

Actually I didn't. Somewhere in here I said he fouls every possession and gets fouled every possession. It's not a wash because he doesn't get called for his fouls, while opponents do. Bad enough that 2 media folks felt strongly enough about it to call it out and post videos about it (Seth Davis and Mark Titus). Look at his #s, it's unbelievable how few fouls get called on him: the biggest and most physical player on the court and he probably averages around 2 fouls per game. The first game vs NW fouls were 27 (PU) to 29 (NW). Second game was 31 to 15, which yielded that ridiculous FT differential. You really think Collins veered away from a playing style that was successful first game? "I know we upset them last game, but let's not do that and play way more aggressively this game?"
Its not like Edey is the Michael Jordan of the NBA...where the "touch foul" was invented to punish his opponents. Unlike every other player on the floor...Edey is always very visible and conspicuous. I think you are underestimating his agility and aptitude in avoiding the foul calls....and overestimating referee bias. Avoiding the foul calls is a skill and an art form just like "slipping a punch", or evading a tackle. I always thought as far as Purdue was concerned that no one got away with more fouls than Brian Cardinal. But...in retrospect...I think Cardinal was coached out of, and developed the skill set to avoid the cheap calls. I think the really big men in basketball have to deal with this area of exposure as well...not just Edey. He, like Cardinal, has been coached in this area...and has developed his skills of stealth and slipping the call. Its part of the game.

Look at points in the paint and who shot almost all jump shots. Which coach bragged pregame about all the fouls he had to give with his Bigs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT