ADVERTISEMENT

Noodle

You’re seriously talking trash about a women’s NIT game?!?
Not at all, the women's game was just the backdrop to make fun of the stupidest chant in college sports. I am less a Purdue hater than most IU fans. After IU or Butler, I will cheer for Purdue. My in-laws live in Lexington, I know who the true enemy of freedom is.

We were at the IU women vs Purdue game in the Women's NIT tonight. A 22 point IU win. We sat next to the Purdue pep band. You guys must have a great food service program, all game long they kept chanting "order up".
They were annoying! Why did you sit there? Great game though!

Northing is more painful to watch than women's basketball
Wasn't painful. At all. They've been just as fun if not more than the men's game this year. If you haven't seen Tyra Buss play, you are missing something special. And guess what....they can actually hit free throws. Their defense was excellent tonight. There were a bunch of the guys from the team there tonight and I hope they were taking notes.

IU shot 55% from the field, 11 turnovers, and 100% from the free throw line. So no, not a hard game to watch.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Wasn't painful. At all. They've been just as fun if not more than the men's game this year. If you haven't seen Tyra Buss play, you are missing something special. And guess what....they can actually hit free throws. Their defense was excellent tonight. There were a bunch of the guys from the team there tonight and I hope they were taking notes.

I can't watch it. The movement and pace is off, and not in a good way. I've tried, but it's painful to watch.

I'm sure Tyra is a great player, as evidenced by her accomplishments.

Not at all, the women's game was just the backdrop to make fun of the stupidest chant in college sports. I am less a Purdue hater than most IU fans. After IU or Butler, I will cheer for Purdue. My in-laws live in Lexington, I know who the true enemy of freedom is.

Purdue is your sibling. You want to beat the hell out of them....and see them suffer a little bit. But that's it.

I hope they win the whole thing, at this point.

Reactions: Bill4411 and Noodle
Why can you not trade your own securities?

Random...

Compliance dept prohibits registered reps from trading them. Technically I can trade diversified ETFs (no holding >10%), but it's not worth it bc every trade needs to be pre-approved.

Common at many banks with public clients or buyers. Prior firm didn't have them. This one does. This also extends to many AMs like Northern Trust.

Reactions: twenty02
Random...

Compliance dept prohibits registered reps from trading them. Technically I can trade diversified ETFs (no holding >10%), but it's not worth it bc every trade needs to be pre-approved.

Common at many banks with public clients or buyers. Prior firm didn't have them. This one does. This also extends to many AMs like Northern Trust.

Are you at an IB?

Northing is more painful to watch than women's basketball

I know a lot of people that feel that way. My old college roommate came over from Cincinnati last night to watch the game. He goes every year to a 1st round site with 18 guys, and this year they had been in Pittsburgh. We discussed our opinion of the men's game. His biggest complaint is the sheer number and length of timeouts. At the arenas in the tournament it just feels like there is no continuity at all. And you spend more time watching cheerleaders than the game. My complaint is the state of offenses. There are two dominant offenses in the game, 1) fire up as many threes as you can from wherever you can 2) drive and throw up any shot trusting your team can get an offensive rebound (we will call this second offense "the Izzo"). The number of teams that utilize good ball and player movement has dropped dramatically in favor of just trusting the pg to win off the dribble.

The women's game has some of that offensive problem. But for a different reason, there is a more finite set of capable ball handlers. It is improving. But there have been books (and a movie) made about the power of pressing in girls high school ball for that reason. If you can get the ball out of the hands of the one ball handler, the defense has a massive advantage. Again, it is getting better.

I have a theory, if you have daughters and one plays basketball, your opinion will change dramatically.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Dunno man... last year's IU men's basketball was painful to watch especially after they down tooled.
I very much enjoyed watching this past season of IU basketball. It was great watching them get better and better defensively and the great improvement in taking care of the basketball was a delight. IU will be great fun to watch next year.

I can't watch it. The movement and pace is off, and not in a good way. I've tried, but it's painful to watch.

I'm sure Tyra is a great player, as evidenced by her accomplishments.
You've watched this team? Honestly, I don't just sit and watch women's basketball all the time like I do men. And I haven't enjoyed watching even all of IU's women's team, but this one is really entertaining. Tyra doesn't just pad the stats, but she's really heady, she's really scrappy, she never complains, has just been a blast to watch for four years. We've been lucky to have her.

You've watched this team? Honestly, I don't just sit and watch women's basketball all the time like I do men. And I haven't enjoyed watching even all of IU's women's team, but this one is really entertaining. Tyra doesn't just pad the stats, but she's really heady, she's really scrappy, she never complains, has just been a blast to watch for four years. We've been lucky to have her.

Buss gave an interesting answer last night. She was asked about her recruitment, and she made a comment that she never considered Purdue. Then she stopped and said that sounded mean toward Purdue and didn't mean it to be. Sometimes I think male athletes have gotten too caught up in "this is a war" when it simply is not. Especially after the game ends. No one works harder to win a game than Buss, but that interview was an interesting insight that one can be competitive as hell and nice at the same time. Somehow we've been tricked into believing "nice guys finish last".

Reactions: hoosboot

No because I have no interest in doing so. Everything I've read about Tyra is that she's a phenomenal athlete, a great off-the-court leader and a good person that comes from a good family.

They often play better fundamentals than the men.

Doesn't matter if you have no fluidity. Everything looks awkward. My guess is that is mostly a function of growing up playing and watching males. There's a difference and I have likely been mentally brainwashed to like a certain type of basketball.

Doesn't matter if you have no fluidity. Everything looks awkward. My guess is that is mostly a function of growing up playing and watching males. There's a difference and I have likely been mentally brainwashed to like a certain type of basketball.
It is more an issue of mass and plain physical strength.

Reactions: hoot1
I have a theory, if you have daughters and one plays basketball, your opinion will change dramatically.

Perhaps, but I'm hoping she'll play soccer of LAX. Maybe she can play both.

I know a couple guys that have daughters in HS that like watching their girls play, but wouldn't take a free ticket to a WNBA game.

It is more an issue of mass and plain physical strength.

That's part of it, but quickness/speed, agility, jumping, etc. are all different. The pace itself is much faster in the men's game, which is another factor for someone that abandoned baseball for hockey as his favorite sport to watch on TV.

Reactions: hoot1
Perhaps, but I'm hoping she'll play soccer of LAX. Maybe she can play both.

I know a couple guys that have daughters in HS that like watching their girls play, but wouldn't take a free ticket to a WNBA game.

I wouldn't take a free ticket to a WNBA game. I have been to two, miserable experience. Almost as bad as an NBA game.:)

* Edit -forgot smiley. But NBA basketball is horrid.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Purdue is your sibling. You want to beat the hell out of them....and see them suffer a little bit. But that's it.

I hope they win the whole thing, at this point.
Purdue might win it even without Haas in this nerfed field. I'd be happy for Noodle but there'd still have to be an asterisk by the victory. No real competition. I'd far rather see a David win it, like Loyola. That'd be cool.

I think having a player to follow always makes a huge difference. I've gone to three Pacers games this year. All three were really good games and Victor played great. The team is unselfish and scrappy and fun to watch too. I much prefer college , but still had a good time. Went to one WNBA Fever playoff game when they won. It was fun, but not much of a desire to just go for the sake of going. Getting Tyra got me interested in IU again. She was everything advertised and more. As someone else mentioned, the fundamentals in women's basketball are often better. We have some good young players, but Tyra has been like a Damon Bailey for the women. Kids love her, she's been a great ambassador, signs and takes pictures everywhere. They will have to build a new identity after she has gone.

Women advance in another blowout, with an even better crowd today, over 6,000. Will find out tonight if they get another home game. You go, Martian?

Women advance in another blowout, with an even better crowd today, over 6,000. Will find out tonight if they get another home game. You go, Martian?

Yep, we were there. I was slightly worried in the 3rd when UC hit 4 NBA threes to close from a 20 point lead to 9.

I am guessing South Dakota out bid us, which is why they do not know if we will host. If I could take 2 days off I would drive out there, but it is a real busy work time and the Powerball savings account is making money as fast as the 401 after Trump says "tariff".

Yep, we were there. I was slightly worried in the 3rd when UC hit 4 NBA threes to close from a 20 point lead to 9.

I am guessing South Dakota out bid us, which is why they do not know if we will host. If I could take 2 days off I would drive out there, but it is a real busy work time and the Powerball savings account is making money as fast as the 401 after Trump says "tariff".
I was too. And we had some silly turnovers there. Just read that on Premie. I thought it was based on attendance. Didn't realize they bid on it. So we are cheering for TCU tonight!

I was too. And we had some silly turnovers there. Just read that on Premie. I thought it was based on attendance. Didn't realize they bid on it. So we are cheering for TCU tonight!

Someone in athletics told me about the bidding last year, I guess we had bid the most last year by a decent amount. I am surprised SD outbid us, SD State are usually the Women's bball fanatics.

WTF?? You mean you can just buy the freaking home court?

Yes, everyone bids before the first round. Let's face it, some schools would lose a lot of money hosting so they do not want to. IU probably is losing money, but want to build the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT