ADVERTISEMENT

No, the DOJ isn't biased. No 2 tier system of justice.

Why isn't Cooney in jail?

(long read)

Wow...Not surprising. You will get 20 spins from dem freaks around here about that. The corruption just drips off these people. It's sickening, and if we are being real there is no return from this it's all over the place.

Wow...Not surprising. You will get 20 spins from dem freaks around here about that. The corruption just drips off these people. It's sickening, and if we are being real there is no return from this it's all over the place.
No, what is sickening is people still supporting Trump after all he has done and all he is claiming he will do.

Defend the indefensible should be the maga slogan.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I believe you know why...
Maybe because the article is light on facts. On the long shot that it is true, it would actually take time to address

So you guys are either liars or premature in your 2 tiered justice complaint bull shit.

You guys want Trump to escape without repercussions so sounds like you are in favor of a 2 tiered justice system...as long as it is your orange turd on the top tier.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

(long read)

The good thing about the article is it actually links the report it references. The bad thing about the article is that it totally misrepresents what it says and what it means.

The predictable thing about the article is that a gaslighting bad faith posting dupe like you would perpetuate the misrepresentation.

The report:

(long read)

This is one reason the DoJ needs an element of independence from the President. One, so that we don't end up with stuff like this guy tried to perpetrate and two, so that we can have meaningful internal investigations and oversight of US attorneys. We don't want the President to be directly making these decisions for political gain.

• Love
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
This is one reason the DoJ needs an element of independence from the President. One, so that we don't end up with stuff like this guy tried to perpetrate and two, so that we can have meaningful internal investigations and oversight of US attorneys. We don't want the President to be directly making these decisions for political gain.
There won’t be any element of DOJ independence in a second Trump term. He has already made that clear (which I’ve addressed in prior posts). So has Project 2025.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
Couldn't agree more. The joke is that these 'independent Counsels' are assigned by the DoJ in power. How can that be considered independent?

Knowing you, you read the entire article and appreciate your response, rather than the usual ' but Trump' response.

No, it isn't. It's one of many reasons people like OP need a shot of reality. Don't cater to this lowest ****ing common denominator.

Because he isn't accused of a crime? I'm just spit balling here. Maybe we don't lock people up just because they show up on the wrong side of a Twitter feed. Just an idea.
When you work for the DoJ and create conspiracy theories that aren't true, that's called lying. And it's a crime.

The fact he isn't being accused of a crime is exactly my point.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
And I repeatedly described in great detail the crime Trump was accused of, but you were apparently too stupid to read it.
Nah, you said it was a crime because of a crime. Maybe you were drunk, but that was your explanation. You never identified the crime and still can't. Stoopid.

No, it isn't. It's one of many reasons people like OP need a shot of reality. Don't cater to this lowest ****ing common denominator.
Some things don’t have to be true but if enough people believe it or question it there’s value in making the change. Perception. Propriety. It’s no different than election reforms. Whether fraud occurred may not matter if enough people believe it did to lose confidence or sully perception. Fix it to placate. That’s okay.

No, you didn't.
I'll post it again since you can't seem to figure out your arrow key, Stoopid.

"When you work for the DoJ and create conspiracy theories that aren't true, that's called lying. And it's a crime."

Now don't ask again.

I'm bringing up this example as why people wouldn't want to support the Project 2025 unitary executive idea w/r/t DoJ.

Now, I'm still not sure that the released document calls for total presidential control over issues of prosecutorial discretion like in this example, but it has been reported as such.

Yes, it is. The Inspector General investigated this. You don't want an independent, internal Inspector General to be able to investigate issues within the department? You don't want people making charging and sentencing decisions within DoJ based on past precedent, instead of the political desires of whoever is running the case (or in the case of a unitary executive, the President--perhaps a President Trump)?

And Cooney should have been checked, as he was, w/r/t the Stone sentencing:

"Cooney supervised a team of four attorneys who prosecuted Stone for what the government successfully argued in front of a Washington, D.C., jury were lies and obstruction during Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Trump campaign officials. . . .

The Fraud and Public Corruption (FPC) team sought an unprecedented sentence of seven to nine years in prison for Stone, dramatically beyond what others convicted of similar crimes faced. When developing that sentencing goal, the team by its own admission thought the “closest analogue” to the Stone conviction was that of Scooter Libby, a target of a previous special counsel in a highly controversial prosecution. Libby’s proposed sentencing range was 30-37 months and he was sentenced to 30 months, which was derided as “excessive” by former President George W. Bush.

Yet the Cooney team larded up the Stone sentencing memo with every escalatory adjustment it could find, however disputable, to achieve a much harsher sentence and treat Stone differently than the Justice Department treats other defendants.

As soon as Cooney’s supervisors saw what he and his team had planned, “they all agreed that the sentencing recommendation was too high” and expressed grave concern about the situation. Interim U.S. Attorney Timothy Shea, who had started on the job just that week, said he “had never seen [perjury] cases produce a sentence that high, and that he was aware of many violent crimes that did not result in sentences ‘anywhere near’ the sentence the team was recommending for Stone,” according to the report. He noted that the escalatory adjustments were arguably made in error, in at least one case, and that the guidance was completely “out of whack” relative to other cases. Further, Stone was a “first-time offender, older than most offenders, and convicted of a nonviolent crime,” and “comparable cases” were sentenced around two to three years."

If you are interested in checking govt power to lard up sentences on the accused (that used to be a pretty normal position for us on the left), then this is something that should be important to you.

[If it needs to be said, I consider Stone a pariah and a loathsome figure and no one in polite society should engage with him]

I'm bringing up this example as why people wouldn't want to support the Project 2025 unitary executive idea w/r/t DoJ.

Now, I'm still not sure that the released document calls for total presidential control over issues of prosecutorial discretion like in this example, but it has been reported as such.
Project2025 is irrelevant to the thread, since it is not a platform of Trump or the Republican Party.

Don't believe the propaganda.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
Yes, it is. The Inspector General investigated this. You don't want an independent, internal Inspector General to be able to investigate issues within the department? You don't want people making charging and sentencing decisions within DoJ based on past precedent, instead of the political desires of whoever is running the case (or in the case of a unitary executive, the President--perhaps a President Trump)?

"Cooney supervised a team of four attorneys who prosecuted Stone for what the government successfully argued in front of a Washington, D.C., jury were lies and obstruction during Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Trump campaign officials. . . .

The Fraud and Public Corruption (FPC) team sought an unprecedented sentence of seven to nine years in prison for Stone, dramatically beyond what others convicted of similar crimes faced. When developing that sentencing goal, the team by its own admission thought the “closest analogue” to the Stone conviction was that of Scooter Libby, a target of a previous special counsel in a highly controversial prosecution. Libby’s proposed sentencing range was 30-37 months and he was sentenced to 30 months, which was derided as “excessive” by former President George W. Bush.

Yet the Cooney team larded up the Stone sentencing memo with every escalatory adjustment it could find, however disputable, to achieve a much harsher sentence and treat Stone differently than the Justice Department treats other defendants.

As soon as Cooney’s supervisors saw what he and his team had planned, “they all agreed that the sentencing recommendation was too high” and expressed grave concern about the situation. Interim U.S. Attorney Timothy Shea, who had started on the job just that week, said he “had never seen [perjury] cases produce a sentence that high, and that he was aware of many violent crimes that did not result in sentences ‘anywhere near’ the sentence the team was recommending for Stone,” according to the report. He noted that the escalatory adjustments were arguably made in error, in at least one case, and that the guidance was completely “out of whack” relative to other cases. Further, Stone was a “first-time offender, older than most offenders, and convicted of a nonviolent crime,” and “comparable cases” were sentenced around two to three years."

If you are interested in checking govt power to lard up sentences on the accused (that used to be a pretty normal position for us on the left), then this is something that should be important to you.

[If it needs to be said, I consider Stone a pariah and a loathsome figure and no one in polite society should engage with him]
Thank you. I don't have the patience to deal with a fool who gaslights as much as he does

I'm not dogging the investigation. It's OP's lead of "Why isn't Cooney in jail?" I'm taking issue with.

Project2025 is irrelevant to the thread, since it is not a platform of Trump or the Republican Party.

Don't believe the propaganda.
My posts are relevant to the ideas surrounding executive department independence of one sort or another vis a vis the President being the elected leader of the executive branch. I just threw in Project 2025 because that’s the talking point of the election re this.

When you work for the DoJ and create conspiracy theories that aren't true, that's called lying. And it's a crime.

The fact he isn't being accused of a crime is exactly my point.
You could not have typed that with a straight face.

I don’t think he should be in jail. My post was about the process and the underlying findings of the investigation.
I believe what this guy did when it came to attempting to influence excessive sentences is prosecutorial misconduct and if it's not a crime, it should be.

Obviously Goat wants to move the goal post, which is what he does when he's trolling.

I believe what this guy did when it came to attempting to influence excessive sentences is prosecutorial misconduct and if it's not a crime, it should be.

Obviously Goat wants to move the goal post, which is what he does when he's trolling.
The Inspector investigated him for a crime—lying to Congress. They said there wasn’t enough evidence and he could have reasonably believed the conspiracy he told them.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT